Victa Classic Cut

MPNs: 881887 and VCS467
Listing monitored by Victa

33 questions from our users

Russ asked

I have asked many questions and your members do not answer. It is a hoax.

The Reviewer
The Reviewer

We are not Victa members. Why ask a review site when you can get exact answers from Victa or Bunnings directly ?

Russ

Why call it a review site then.

Coxy

Because this is where people who bought a product can review it and offer their opinion.
It is not a site where people who work for or sell particular products come to answer questions.
Occasionally someone from Victa, or from a retailer who sells Victa might be here but mostly it's just us people who bought one.

Russ asked

Why don't your victa members answer.

Russ asked

Are bunnings victa mowers made in nsw kemps creek,or china. Do they have ballbearing wheels and pressed steel chassis,as victa dealers say they are rubbish and won't touch them.

Coxy

The one I bought a couple of months ago seems to have been assembled in China. I would guess the actual pressed steel mower body was made in China. It seems to be powder coated. Compared to the Rover I had for the last 20 years, that rusted through after about 5 years and I repaired by bolting on various pieces of steek and aluminium for the next 15 years, I'd guess this one might last about the same (with similar repairs).

The mower handle is not as sturdy as my old Rover, but I guess I could make a new one if it dies.

I'm assuming of course that the little Briggs and Stratton 500e might last 20 years like the B & S Quantum 5 did!

Overall, this one feels like it might, and the Easy Start function works nicely.
Press the primer bulb 3 times to flood the carby.
Set the throttle to half way.
Pull the starter cord Gently, once to get some fuel vapour into the cylinder.
Pull the starter cord Gently again to ignite the fuel vapour.
Very occasionally - I might need to pull the cord Gently a third time, usually if I do something stupid like try to start it with the blade in deepish grass.

Russ asked

Do classic cut victas at bunnings have ballbearing wheels. Dealers say they dont and they are not pressed steel. Also are they made in china or keeps creek nsw. Truth would be good.

Coxy

The box says the wheel bearings are 'Designed by Victa Australia'. They are definitely NOT ball or roller bearings. They feel like a slightly loose bush, probably designed so that grass cannot get into them. Easy enough to raise the mower a d spin the wheels loosely, but they don;t spin as long as I believe a ball or roller bearing would.
The wheels are plastic.
I suspect the wheels are made in China like most of the other bits apart from the bad Engine are.

Sarah S.
Sarah S.asked

Hi I'm trying to find the part number for the replacement Blades for my Victa Classic Cut lawnmower. I purchased a set of blades from Bunnings but I'm not sure they are the correct ones as they hit the side of the mower when starting up. I'm not sure whether it's due to how they were installed or if they are slightly to big ( they looked identical compared to the old ones but have been told they are a fraction bigger?) Bunnings told me they only now stock a limited number of blades and the ones I need I have to order elsewhere but the person didn't seem to know much about what I was asking for so now I'm just confused.

Russ

I would recommend going to victa dealer,and they will give you correct size blades.

Melinda K
Melinda Kasked

Hi,
I want to buy a solid lawn mower. In the past all Victa mowers I had were rubbish. Is Victa 18" Classic Cut Mulch Or Catch Petrol Lawn Mower (I/N: 0079521 - Bunnings) Australian or Chinese these days?
Thank you.

S14series2
S14series2

Check out the Honda range of mowers with cast Aluminum decks, very solid and very well designed, but you certainly pay for the quality

Heather
Heatherasked

Is it a 4stroke

Coxy

The Victa 18" Classic Cut Mulch or Catch is powered by a 4 Stroke Briggs and Stratton 500e. On half speed I have been able to cut anything I could cut with my old Rover with the slightly bigger Briggs and Stratton Quantum 5.
That engine lasted 20 years with almost no maintenance other than topping up the oil between my version of 'regular' oil changes. Once every 3 to 5 years (Only mowing once or twice a week for 20 years). - I DO NOT recommend treating an engine like this !!!
The Briggs and Stratton engine is still working, but the mower eventually collapsed around it after one too many repairs :-)

That engine was the reason I bought this mower..

Ayman E.

Hi
Please see Bunnings have them for $359

Raj S.
Raj S.asked

What cause the oil leaking?

nyoung
nyoung

No evidence of any oil leaking. Just mowed 1 hr ago and there was no motor hunting. Mowed ok even though it doesn't have to power & 4 blades that I am used to.

Jill G.
Jill G.asked

What petrol do u use

Dominic

I have a 500m2 grass and that is usually just under one tank full of fuel. I use the cheap stuff from the fuel station. If you only have a small yard and it would be sitting in the mower tank or petrol can. I would suggest going with 95 petrol. It has a much longer shelf life when sitting for long periods of time. For me the cheap stuff works because I use it straight away. I mow my yard one to two times a week. Love the mower and it never fails me.

Olli
Olliasked

I would like to know what country makes this lawnmower.I am not interested in anything from china.

Dominic

Well the motor is a Briggs and Stratton. American build I believe. I could be wrong. They boast how good they are so I doubt they would have moved the manufacturing to China. The rest of the mower such as body I haven't a clue where it's built. It's strong enough for a nasty backyard and I haven't had a drama with it since buying it.

Coxy

The mower is assembled in China. I would assume most of the body including the plastic bits are made in China.
I suspect the Engine is still made in the USA, although I would not be surprised these days if the Engine is made for Briggs and Stratton, to their specifications, in a Chinese factory.

Either way, 'not interested in anything made in China' severely restricts your purchase of almost everything these days other than automobiles..

Stan moore
Stan moore asked

What is the correct level for the oil on dip stick

On a LEVEL Surface:
When warm, anywhere between the high and low mark on the bottom of the dip stick.
When cold, it is nice to see it sitting just at the top of the High mark. Mine sits just a hair over - but that's because I'm clumsy.

Do Not Overfill - i.e. Don;t have oil sitting 1/4 inch above High or more - if you can help it.

Do NOT Start the engine if the oil level when COLD is BELOW the Low mark !! (You can, and it will run, but you risk not lubricating stuff.)

Pj B.
Pj B.asked

Which oil is best to use

Vic

For the 4-stroke Briggs and Stratton, it needs an SAE30 Oil, such as Valvoline Power Armour 4-Stroke, available at Bunnings.

Coxy

Probably avoid using things like GTX or anything with super slippery additives if you can help it. It might not matter so much these days, but those special oils used to cause a bit of smoking (oil burning) and mechanics suggested it was certain oils causing glazing of the cylinder walls or rings.

Rohan
Rohanasked

What is the size of the front wheels for a Victa Classic Cut VCS467. They are smaller than the rear wheels. The rear wheels are 8 inches.

Robert S.
Robert S.asked

What fuel type

David C.
David C.

Hi Rob, what did you use

David.Basked

My Victa Hurricane has an M/N HMS466 sticker on the engine. When I look up the models I can fined HMS 462 ( 2 Stroke) and HMS464 (4 Stroke). Can you tell me what my no. means.

Vic

HMS466 is your model number for the Victa Hurricane with the 600-series Briggs & Stratton 4-stroke engine. HMS462 is the Victa Hurricane with the 2-stroke engine, and the HMS464 is the Victa Hurricane with 400- or 500-Series B&S Engine

David.Basked

My base4 has rusted out after 4 years. Washed down after every use so no build up of grass. Has gone around handle connection bolts. Looks like poor sealing around bolt holes. Can I get a new base?

Richard

Can't answer this defintively, but I would guess no.
I've suggested these are very cheaply built mowers and not designed to last beyond warranty - the base on the one I used was thin pressed steel with light powdercoat.
If you take it to a mower servicer they may be able to help, but I'm bettting they say, "yeah they're cheap mowers designed as landfill.. we can help you out with a new mower".
If it were mine, I'd just fabricate a fix or worst case get a busted mower and substitute the base.

Vic

I agree to substitute the base with a busted mower - people occasionally sell the bases/chassis on ebay:

Coxy

My Rover started doing similar stuff after 5 years. I spent the next 15 years making little bits to fit on various parts of the body out of pieces of steel, pieces of Stainless steel, and sheets of 1mm aluminium, and drilling holes and bolting the pieces on with stainless metal thread screws (I'm a yachtie), bolts and washers. Heck, there was even a flattened Coke can holding it together at one time in an emergency.
Looking at this one, my plan is to avoid washing it :-)

Also, my 'other' plan is to give the underside a thorough wash and dry, then get to Bunnings or Supercheap, buy a few cans of Valvoline Tectyl 506, and Completely coat the entire underneath and then the outside with a thick coat and leave it in the sun for a day.

It will pick up all sorts of dirs and grass and stuff. But my experience has been that Tectyl will stop rust from getting at almost anything. I use is on my boat trailer and springs and it has prevented rust forming after immersion in salt water. Trailer NOT galvanised - no rust and never had the salt water washed off!

I wish I had thought of using it with my last mower.

David.B

Do I assume that the sticker is incorrect?

Thank you.

Ray C

Standard unleaded 91, with no oil added to the fuel

Jo Halse
Jo Halseasked

How much oil do you put in a victa classic mower

Dan B
Dan B

Gradually poor in the oil until the oil sits at the markings on the dip-stick. Run the engine for a while and then check the marking again, add more if needed.

Richard

I would guess it's less than about 300ml per fill - specs may answer this accurately (assuming Victa publishes them)

Georgie_Best1
Georgie_Best1

You would think they would tell you... but I can’t find the information either!

Get an answer from our members and Victa representatives

Other Petrol Lawn Mowers