White Knight Laminate

White Knight Laminate Questions & Answers

61 questions from our users

Hi I painted over a white melamite surface with the primer and then the laminate paint. I waited a day before applying the laminate paint but it is still tacky after 2 days. How do I remove the tackiness ? Thanks

Why does the top coat start to peel? It looks awful and has to be done again, otherwise I am extremely happy but would appreciate an answer before my husband has to do it again. He followed your video carefully. Moyra Wells

I bought tile primer [ instead of the tile and laminate primer ] by mistake . Can I still use the tile primer on laminate kitchen cabinets ?

can i use the tile primer , to prime coat laminate kitchen cabinets ?

I have a laminate benchtop with a timber edge can i use white knight laminate paint over the timber edge as well?

We recently (about) 3 months ago applied your product onto our kitchen bench, it came up beautiful and I was thrilled, but in the middle section on the bench (where we mostly use) it has started to peel. Why would that be? My husband was so careful to follow all directions. He is going to sand it back and redo it but I hope it doesn't happen again. My email is Moyra.wells@bigpond.com would appreciate any information you can give us.

after finishing my 2nd coat of colour, I noticed paintbrush hairs. Not sure, but think it was in first coat. About to put clear top coat. Is there any way of sanding down this area and reapplying paint layers?? Area is around sink, from when I was cutting in the paint. Please help.

I’m about to repaint a set of laminated drawers and wasn’t sure about needing a top coat protector?? And now after reading all your reviews am concerned that as a company you haven’t addressed the ‘top coat’ problem that many purchasers have had after using it. What do you suggest?

I have vinyl wrapped kitchen cabinet doors. The Vinyl has come completely loose. The doors are MDF under the vinyl. The end panels on the cabinets are laminated so I have purchased White Knight laminate primer and paint to use on these laminate end panels. Can I also use the primer and paint on the MDF once I have removed the vinyl wrap from the doors?

Put down the clear protective coat and white specs appeared, sanded back and tried again same result anyone had issues?

Do I need to use the protective top coat hardener on the kitchen doors
I don't think so, just on benchtops (I did a dining table).

hi want to use the white knight 2 part protective coating on my bench tops but bunning staff said it was no good bad reviews do you have a video to show how you can do it
There are plenty of YouTube videos for application. We used it with good results but did tweak a couple of things. Use a 230mm roller for less lines, follow mixing instructions on CAN, as one video tells you wrong thing.thanks lindsay by any chance do you have a link to the videos?

I want to paint my countertop in kitchen and purchased white knight primer which is water based - is the top coat they gave me oil based - has to be cleaned using turps - do I have the correct paint - purchased from paint place in burpengary - pease advise 0411383113 shirley matthews

Would it be better when priming to spray two ‘light’ coats or one heavy coat? Would this product adhere better with two light coats of primer?
Why are you spraying? I rolled 2 coats light sand in between.I’m a spray painter by trade and I believe spraying done right gives a better finish every time.

can i use tile and laminate primer on varnished timber without sanding. Thanks Liz

Hi ...is the White Night 2 part benchtop clear being sold at Bunnings the same product from 3 or 4 years back ....the one that left streaky lines in the finished job also what is the correct mixing ratio tor it ....is it 3 of A to 1 of B
Yes I believe so. I emailed White Knight recently, who said use the instructions on the can. (not the video whichw as done by someone else)

I painted my kitchen cupboards with White Knight laminate paint over Christmas and it turned out great. Now I want to do the same with my two bathroom bench tops. I have started on the one, have done primer and 1st coat. Tomorrow night will be the 2nd coat. It is already looking wonderful. I've bought the clear topcoat and a good quality foam roller to finish off the bench tops, but have read so many bad reviews on this 2-part topcoat that I am actually really scared of using it. I do not want a streaky, lined finish, ruining what is a great finish with the laminate paint. Is the laminate paint without the top coat not hard wearing enough? Is the contradictory online mixing ratio info perhaps the reason for the streaky lined finish that some people get with the top coat? What to do?? I'd really appreciate some expert help here asap!
It’s the discrepancy between the online video info and what’s on the can that led people to mix the wrong ratios and get the bad result. I did mine a couple of years ago and had a perfect result, I’m pretty sire i followed the instructions on the can. Someone from White Knight needs to make a clear statement on this thread about this and/or take the video down!Thanks for your reply Torfrida. I consider myself above average as far as painting skills go. I mixed the paint exactly as stipulated on the tins (3:1) and stirred it gently for 5 minutes so as not to include air bubbles. It still was a big challenge to get a result I am willing to live with after 3 coats and it is still not perfect. If the light falls a certain way I still can see faint brush marks and streakiness. I'm just lucky that I chose a light cream colour. I think if it was a dark colour it would have been unacceptable. The laminate paint is wonderful but this top coat requires more formulation development by the manufacturer IMO. I like its low sheen finish but it tends to be streaky and is very challenging to apply as evident from the many negative online reviews about it. Its a pity because the laminate paint is so great. For other people's benefit, this is what I learnt: The top coat is very viscous and shows up brush marks, so use a very fine narrow brush to apply a thin coat at the edges and go over this ASAP and as much as possible with your roller. Work fast from side to side without going over anything twice. A high density foam roller gave a terrible result. A softer foam roller was better. I have not tried using the micro fiber roller as used successfully for the laminate paint. I still have one more bench top to go so will experiment with that then. White Knight, please improve this formulation!I got my ratios wrong same thing.all to do with the video in comparison with what's written on the tin huge fail!

How long after laminated paint could too coat be painted?

Hi just want to know if i can use glitter additive to tile paint to go on my laminate kitchen bench tops?

Do i sand between coats of 2pack top coat ...... many lines on first coat?

Get an answer from our members and White Knight representatives