Dulux Aquanamel

76 questions from our users

Henry M.

Henry M.asked

Aquanamel

Hi there, I've applied this to skirting, doors and window sashes. The paint is translucent in appearance and the second coat still does not give depth to cover. I have used vivid white off the shelf and its like there isn't enough white tint in the mix. I have stirred it twice for extra measure but still no difference.
How can I sort out this problem.
Cheers Harry

Ashley

Sorry have not had this issue so not sure how to sort out your problem. Probably best you give Dulux Tech support a call.

Renee B.Dulux

Hi Henry, Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our aquanamel paint. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we would like to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 357390, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you as soon as possible. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The Customer Service Team.

Tibor

Vivid white is the base of all whites there's not much coverage as it's got no tint in it, try something like vic builders white. Aqua enamel itself will be translucent and will need the same color undercoat.

Curiousasked

Aquanamel Semi Gloss

Hi there, what timber putty/sealer would you recommend to use with a Aquanamel paint on timber skirting as I have got bubbles on all the nail holes previously filled, under latex then double coated in aquanamel? I was told Aquanamel draws water out of the sealers?? Any recommendations to ensure no bubbles?

Ashley

When using Aquanemel I prepared the old surface well before using Dulux 1 step pre coat paint before applying the Semi Gloss. Had no problems with the Polyfilla for Doors and Trims product to fill holes etc.

Curious

Thank you - Yes, used total prep prior to 2 coats of aquanamel, but since the application (over 6mths) the putty has been drawn out of the hole to make a bubble... was told if the putty/filla was water based it would do this?? Just thought I might be able to see the names of product recommended for prep with this paint.

Renee B.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our Aquanamel Semi Gloss paint. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we would like to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 350314, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you as soon as possible. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The Customer Service Team.

Alysha W.

Alysha W.asked

Aquanamel

can you use aquanamel on bathroom and kitchen tiles

Renee B.Dulux

Hi Alysha Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Dulux Aquanamel! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The Customer Service Team.

I wouldn't

chris

chrisasked

Aquanamel

Hi, I was recommended to use Renovation Floor tile paint on the floor but to use Aquanamel over my bathroom Wall tiles instead of the renovation paint. Is this a good option and can it be done. wall tiles are in shower on wall

Puncstorta
Puncstorta

Hi Chris, I do not recommend Dulux Aquanamel. You won't be able to have a smooth finish without brush marks and it might even peel off. Need at least 4 layers to cover the old colour. The finish paint looks 'plastic-ish'. I already have peels off on my kitchen cabinet where the door touched the frame during installation (small bumps).

michelle k.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Chris! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The DuluxTeam.

Peter

Peterasked

Aquanamel Gloss

I built a wall unit and used Aquanamel gloss to finish. The MDF surface was already very smooth and after using Dulux sealer/undercoat I sanded meticulously. I diluted the Aquanamel with 100ml/L water as suggested and sprayed the first coat. ( 28psi using gravity feed gun with 1.4mm nozzle). You advise 20 minute touch dry and >4 hours re-coat. After 24 hours I sanded and recoated. The finish is OK but not brilliant. However the surface has remained tacky/sticky. After a few days of drying I put the unit in warm sunshine to try and complete the drying. It has improved a little, but remains sticky. It is dry to the touch but when the doors (also sprayed) stay in contact with the carcass they stick together.
I want to 3rd coat but feel I am wasting my time and energy. Not to mention ending up with a poor result after weeks of careful construction.
Is there a solution?

Renee B.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Peter! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), quote ticket number 317120 and they will be able to answer all of your questions! The Dulux Help & Advice Team.

Ken s

Ken sasked

Aquanamel

How long to leave aqua enamel before applying tape

Oscar

Normally i remove the tape straight after painting while its still a bit wet. I find that letting it dry may peel some of the tape off.

Juzzy
Juzzy

Hey Ken, I try and leave it as long as possible I left it over night and it worked well....

James S.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Ken! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! The Dulux Team.

Dmh91

Dmh91asked

Hi.

I've painted all my doorjams and trims with Dulux aqua enamel and I love it. I got talked into doing the doors with taubmans ultimate enamel and the finish is horrible, it's meant to be the same colour yet it looks more yellow.

My question.

Can I paint the aqua enamel straight over the dry taubmans ultimate enamel or do I need to sand it right back and prep it again before I use the aqua enamel?

Hi Dmh91
Thank you for reaching out! Glad to read your happy with Dulux Aquanamel. We certainly can help you with your project, please sand the existing coating to a dull flat finish, dust and clean the surface well and recoat with one coat of Dulux Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer followed by 2 coats of Dulux Aquanamel. If you have any further projects on we here to assist you please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525 option 2. Our operating hours are from Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm and Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm or Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST on Live Chat. The Dulux Team

Susan S.

Susan S.asked

Aquanamel

What to thin water based paint with

Oscar

You need to use a maximum of 50ml per litre Dulux hot weather finish. Alternatively you could use water. Just keep in mind that Dulux doesn't recommend thining the paint, however it is so hard to work with this product which makes thining a reasonable risk. My advice to you is, buy another brand of paint and stay away from aquanemel.

Hi Susan
Thank you for reaching out! Dulux Aquanamel can be thinned to improve its application to maximum of 50 ml per litre. A tip is to load enough product on your roller or brush and not to overwork the product. This will provide you good even coverage with a nice smooth finish. Please see our technical data sheet to assist you further with your application http://www.duspec.com.au/duspec/file/AUDD1282.pdf . If you have any further projects we are more than happy to assist by simply contacting us on 132525 option 2. Our operating hours are from Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm and Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm AEST. Good luck with your project! The Dulux Team

Elizabeth B.

Elizabeth B.asked

Aquanamel Semi Gloss

I think I've just painted over the top of Enamel paint with Aquanamel - I painted the trim 24 hours ago and it scratches off easily. The sample I took to the Dulux center for colour matching must have been different to the area I just painted. How do I fix this!?

Lee
Lee

From what I’ve read, you needed to sand the old oil based enamel paint surface first, then clean with sugar soap and put a primer on, otherwise won’t stick. I’m in process of looking into doing same and there’s a lot of prep work first before can put acrylic paint over enamel oil based.

DuluxDulux

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for making contact with us and reaching out for assistance! We would love to assist you further with your project but will require more details from you on your surface preparation. Please contact our Dulux Help & Advice Team on 132525 option 2 for further assistance. Our operating hours are from Monday to Friday from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 8:30 am to 3:00 pm. The Dulux Team

Dab S.

Dab S.asked

Aquanamel

Currently painting chairs - first 2 coats look rubbish. 1st coat with a brush, second coat with a 4mm nap roller (a lot better than the brush but still very average). 3rd coat I’m considering to use a spray gun - is this the best way to apply the paint to get a nice even finish?
And also how do I thin it out properly?
Thank you!

Gregory L
Gregory L

It is hard to get a nice finish by brush so your best option is to use water to thin it or go to the paint shop and get the proper hot weather thinner. Also I found you need a very soft brush

Scotty S.

Scotty S.asked

Does it dry clear

Fran

Franasked

drying time

DuluxGroup A.Dulux

Hi Fran,

If you have any product-related queries, please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to assist you. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST.

The Dulux Team

Rob

Robasked

Aquanamel

I am painting my front timber step. It has been a glass white spirit based enamel. Is Aquanamel the best paint to finish this step with after some preparation? Sanding, filling and priming?

Tibor

Not really as it isn't durable for a step.

SSA

SSAasked

Aquanamel

Hi, I have door and skirtings that are currently painted with an oil paint. While repainting, can I use Aquanamel and what prep is required so that the new paint will stick to the doors. I have had one previous experience where a water based paint was applied to a door that had oil based paint on before and despite applying a primer, the water based paint would not stick and kept peeling off. I want to avoid similar situation.

On another note, do the oilbased paint turn yellow after some time. If doing the above has the risk of paint not sticking, then I would rather go with an oil based paint but am worried about the paint turning yellow with age. Please confirm.

Leanne
Leanne

All I can say is stay away from Dulux. We had endless trouble. Finally swapped paint brand and right first time! So much time and $ wasted with Dulux

Tibor

To switch to acrylic The oil doors need an oil based undercoat after sanding, then acrylic will hold. Yeah dulux oil will yellow.

vic

vicasked

Aquanamel Semi Gloss

can i paint aquanamel over oil based enamel

Tibor

Not straight over. You can after sanding and a prep coat.

BB50asked

Aquanamel

HI,. I have Aquanamel semi-gloss for woodwork in a bedroom. Woodwork was previously painted in 1995 with a water-based semi-gloss. Is sandpapering enough to ensure the new paint adheres?
Belinda

Hi BB50
Thank you for reaching out with your enquiry. We would suggest washing the surface with Selleys Sugar Soap, and then sand the surface to a dull flat finish and wipe clean. Next, apply one coat of Dulux Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer, followed by 2 coats of Dulux Aquanamel Semi-Gloss. If you require further assistance with your project please contact our Help & Advice Team on 132525 (option 2). The Dulux Team

BB50

Thank you. Oh dear - more work than I thought!

Jim

Jimasked

Aquanamel Semi Gloss

Can I paint over with a wash and wear

Bry

Bryasked

Hello,
I have sanded, primed and now painted some old furniture in Aquanamel semi gloss. Can I leave as is or will I need a top coat of some sort?
I’m concerned with the dining table in particular.
Cheers.

henry h.Dulux

Hi Bry, thank you for reaching out to us with your enquiry. We would suggest at least 3 coats of Aquanamel semi gloss for best protection due to high contact. If you need any further assistance please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525 option 2 Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. The Dulux Team

R_W

R_Wasked

Aquanamel

Bought a 4 litre tin of Aquanamel Gloss but have now decided I would prefer a Semi Gloss finish.
1. Is it ok to mix Aquanamel Low Gloss with Gloss (both in new formula)
2. If OK, would the mixed paints in equal parts give me the equivalent of Semi-Gloss ?

Hi R-W
Thank you for reaching out to us. We do not recommend you mix Low Gloss with Gloss together as the appearance might be patchy or streaky. If you decided to do this at your own risk, please stir the paint thoroughly at least for 15 minutes and test a small area first.
The Dulux Team

Tony S.

Tony S.asked

Aquanamel Gloss

Can this be used on flooring

DuluxGroup A.Dulux

Hi Tony, thanks for your message. Dulux Aquanamel Gloss is not formulated for use on floors. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any product advice, and our Tech Team will be able to assist you with some recommendations for your project. – The Dulux Team.

Get an answer from our members and Dulux representatives