70Ivory Coat Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Part of Ivory Coat Dog Food 4.2

Ivory Coat Grain Free Dry Dog Food Questions & Answers

Santa · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Hi Ivory Coat. I see the “Avoid” on the pet product review sites as your product has been reported as making dogs unwell but no mention of comment in the above reviews.
Could you please let me know your side of these issues and why you don’t mention them?

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi there, Thank you for getting in touch. We are pet owners too and take the safety of our foods very seriously.
We are unable to comment on anecdotal social media comments, however we can confirm there are no quality or safety issues with any Ivory Coat product nor batch.

We are confident our quality assurance procedures ensure our foods are nutritious and safe for our customers’ pets.

We welcome all feedback, and our team are here to address any questions or concerns. Please visit our website, DM or call us on 1800 732 573 for support.

Best Wishes, Irene
Veterinary Nurse and Senior Pet Care Advisor

Shayla B.
Shayla B.

This reply sounds exactly like the crap you said to me when I informed you my dog died on your food.

Santa

Hi, thanks for your response. You are confident then in your food and accept all damages and losses resulting if the information you have provided is found to be incorrect?

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Shayla B, thank you for your comment. We can confirm we had received feedback from you in early 2019 however we did not hear any further from you once we attempted to reach you on the contact number kindly shared and responded to your email.

There was no mention of your beloved pet passing away at that time and we are obviously very saddened to learn this.

You are still very welcome to reach out to us on 1800 732 573 (option 1) to speak with one of our veterinary nurses on our Pet Care team so we can gather further details to understand your experience at that time.

We hope to hear back from you soon.

Many thanks,
Irene
Veterinary Nurse

Ist time buyer · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

My 12 year old border collie has spinal stenosis. I have been feeding him the ocean fish grain free dry food but I read in an article that he should be having grains for his heart health. Is the Salmon and rice variety better for him

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi there, Our Ivory Coat dry foods are formulated by our qualified Research & Development team to meet all your dogs’ nutritional requirements and provide them with a complete and balanced diet in line with the globally recognised AAFCO nutritional guidelines.

We would encourage you to speak further with your vet regarding your dog’s specific health condition as they are in the best position to advise the most appropriate diet to support his health.
Your vet will also be able to help you determine if your dog will do best on a diet free from grains, or a diet containing grains.

We hope this information helps!

Marinda N.
Marinda N. · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Hi. My dog have Cushings Disease and she is on Vetoryl 30mg Capsules. Can I give her Ivory Coat Grain Free.

Marshall Cobb
Marshall Cobb

Only if you want your dog to die a slow and painful death from internal bleeding.

Google ivory coat warning or read this post...

It is a disgrace that it is still on sale.

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Marinda, Our foods are formulated to meet the AAFCO Nutritional Profiles, so are not specifically formulated to support pets who may need tailored nutrition to support specific medical conditions. We would suggest you speak further with your vet as they are in the best position to determine if our foods are suitable for your pet.

To ensure our Ivory Coat foods are nutritious and safe for your pet, they are carefully formulated by our qualified research and development team and manufactured in line with the Australian Standard AS5812. Our Ivory Coat foods are proudly made in our Australian factories that are also independently certified to the globally recognised Safe Quality Food (SQF) standard. We’re also an active member of the Pet Food Industry Association of Australia (PFIAA).
We hope this information helps.

Brian C.
Brian C.

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! On you Real Pet Food Co.

Trying to hide the fact you have changed the formula in your ONCE fantastic pet food. My dog is a Shar-Pei and as such has systemic gut and bowl problems, ‘once upon a time’ up to your latest change in ‘packaging’; your food was A1 perfect for my dog.
With your change of 'Packaging' you have now "removed" the 'Low Fat' label on the packet entirely; justly so as you now have INCREASED the fat content from 10% to 12%, no you didn’t stop at that but also REDUCED the PROTEIN from 32% down to 26%... all about the profit margin is it NOT???

No amount of justification on your behalf will suffice to excuse your contempt for all the pet owners out there who used your product with once respected and admired safety in feeding our beloved family pets/companions.

Previously she had the right balance of protein and fat in her diet, I only fed her your food and absolutely nothing else, no treats, and it kept her very healthy and controlled her systemic gut and bowel problems.

My dog was doing well on your past formula, however now she has lost muscle tone, has darker faeces and smelly breath. NO she is not sick your product has increased the fat content in her body and reduced the protein and she now is suffering due to your actions.
Now she does not look as healthy…..THANKS TO YOU.

I am mortified by your underhanded deceitful concealing of these reductions....have a look at the old packaging, the BOLD and LARGE print have been replaced with very easily non descript small fonts showing these amounts on the packet.

I hope you can sleep at night knowing you are slowing killing dogs with your hidden deceit....do you feed your OWN personal dogs this recipe for 'declining health'...I bet you don’t ???

coop · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Is Ivory Coat FDA approved since there doesn't appear to be a pet regulator in Australia currently.

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Coop, Our Ivory Coat products are manufactured in line with the Australian Standards (AS5812), which addresses all quality controls associated with manufacturing pet foods. This includes the raw ingredient selection and safety, factory management, product formulations, quality and safety process monitoring in addition to the control and labelling of pet food products.
All our manufacturing factories are also accredited to global food standards such as the SQF global food standards and we are members of, and fully support the Pet Food Industry Association of Australia (PFIAA).
We hope this information helps!

coop

Thank you for getting back to me.

kevin w. · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Recently bought some Ivory Coat dog food. I have not fed my dog any of it yet. Then I read all these horror stories about the new recipe. Should I bin it and go to another product? Kevin.

James C
James C

I binned everything I had on hand, I figured it would be too hard to get a refund from the retailer as it was an online order. The last time we feed our Moodle the Ivory Coat her eyelids went red within 30 minutes. There must be some nasty chemicals in it these latest batches. I moved to Royal Canin Dry food and 4Legs wet food now. Dog is very happy and empty bowl each time. I presume every dog is different and you may have a different batch of product than I did.

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Kevin, We would like to assure you that our Ivory Coat products are made in line with the safety and quality requirements found within the Australian Standards. They are also carefully formulated to ensure they provide pets with a compete and balanced diet.

All customer feedback we receive directly is thoroughly investigated and to date there is no reason to suspect there is any health or safety issue with any batch.

As always, we are here should you need to get in touch, please reach out on 1800 732 573 (option 1), or through our Ivory Coat website external link

Mimi
Mimi

Hi Kevin, go with what your gut says. You can always try it for a week and see whether your dog likes it and how their poo is. Many retailers offer a full refund if you've used less than 50 per cent of the bag. Personally I don't think it's a premium product even though it has a (relatively) premium price tag. There are heaps of alternatives out there. Maybe your vet has advice? Also keep in mind that dog food is largely unregulated in Australia so be wary when companies say it's in line with Aus standards - this means nothing!

kevin w.

Thanks Mimi. Do not think I will risk it. In the bin. It is a shame to see a good product ruined by a greedy foreign takeover. Kevin.

Joy
Joy · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Hi our 17 month cavoodle is on the ivory coat chicken grain free puppy food. When would you shift to adult food? He weights 6.7kg and is moderately active. Hadn’t been changing weight so probably fully grown now. Thanks.

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Joy, Small to Medium breed puppies can be swapped to an adult formulated food at approximately 12 months of age.
We hope this helps!

PAL
PAL · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

My dog loves Ivory Coat (low fat) BUT her breath is very smelly!
Has anyone else had this problem?

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Paul, Thanks for your question on our Ivory Coat product.
Bad breath is not expected to occur in pets fed out products, and is more commonly an indication the pet has some dental disease, particularly if they are an older animal.

If you haven’t had your dog’s teeth checked recently by your veterinarian, we’d suggest booking in to make sure there are no underlying dental problems.
Your vet clinic can also provide you with some information on maintaining your pets good dental health.
We hope this helps

coop

I've just started my girl on Ivory coat and she doesn't have bad breath and she loves it.

Ollie
Ollie · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Is this food a light low calorie

Lyn

Hi Ollie. As far as I know it is not low calorie as that wasn't an issue with my dogs when I began purchasing it. I used to purchase this dog food when it first came out and Australian owned and made, now I see it is now owned by a Chinese company. Towards the mid and end of last year, my dogs would not eat it when previous years they would wolf it down and I am not sure if the recipe has changed since the change of ownership but I do not buy it anymore as I refuse to support an overseas company but most of all not a Chinese owned company. There is a very good pet food which I am now buying which is an Australian owned and made with all Australian ethically sourced ingredients called "Scratch" have a look at their Facebook page or website. Be very careful with some of the products being sold as top pet food, they are shockers.

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Ollie, Great question! We have two dry food products in our range that are lower in fat and calories compared to our Adult varieties. These products are suitable for older dogs, less active dogs or for overweight dogs. You are welcome to visit our website to learn more: external link .
We hope this information helps

Marc · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Hi - we've been using Ivory Coat for a number of years with our 2 Cocker Spaniels and chose it originally because the chicken variety didn't make them smell via their breath and coat like others did such as beef based blends. However our most recent bag that we've purchased through Pet Circle it appears something has changed with this bag - the biscuits are smaller, darker and the dogs now smell. Has the formula been changed or did we get an odd batch??

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Marc, Thanks for your review on our Ivory Coat food.
We can confirm that there have been no recipe changes to the Ivory Coat dry food, and all products available have passed all quality assessments.
Our Ivory Coat products contain no artificial colours or flavours to disguise any natural variation in the raw ingredients, so there can be some variations in colour and smell in between batches.
You are welcome to get in contact with us via phone on 1800 732 573 (option 1) or our website if you have further questions or concerns.

Julia K.
Julia K.

I USED to like Ivory Coat but not anymore.

Grey Drifter

Who is the organisation who test the "Quality Assessment", you or an independent organisation..????

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi There, Our Ivory Coat products are produced under extensive product quality control processes and comply with Australian Standard AS5812.
If you have any further questions you can reach us on 1800 732 573, or through our website
We hope this information help.

Grey Drifter

This does not answer my question...I shall repeat it.

Who is the organisation who test the "Quality assessment", you or an independent organisation..????

Marc

Hi 'Grey Drifter' - I wasn't satisfied with Ivory Coats answer either, there was a distinct change in the product and the answer as you can see was just a standard likely automated response. As result we don't use Ivory Coat any more.

Cass
Cass · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Have you changed the formula? We have been purchasing the large breed dry food for 6 months and our puppy has loved this. We have just purchased a new bag and the kibble shape is much smaller (nearly half the size) of previous bags. Our puppy has had a very upset tummy for the past three days on this new bag and even to the point where he now is shying away from the kibble and leaving it in his bowl.

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Cass, Thank you for your query. There can be some variation in our kibble size, colour and smell due to natural variances in the raw ingredients used, however there have not been any changes to the recipe.
Were disappointed to hear you puppy has been unwell recently and would like to speak to you to understand your experience better and ensure your pup is recovering.
You are welcome to contact us on 1800 732 573 (option 1) or through our website contact form.
Thanks very much

Lorraine · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Does your food contain taurine as I have heard that dogs are getting heart disease as there is a lack of or no taurine in grain free pet food

Thirsty  dog
Thirsty dog

Hi lorraine - i am not too sure as i no longer have the bag. Yes, i have heard the same about the heart issues.

Lorraine

I have looked on my bag but no taurine I might have to change food I think.

Ivory Coat   DM

Hi Lorraine, We can confirm Our Ivory Coat Grainfree range of dry foods has been formulated to meet the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) nutritional standards for dogs, and will contain some taurine as it is naturally found within the meat meals included in the products.
Our grainfree dry food products do not have additional taurine added at this time. Taurine is not currently deemed an essential nutrient of dogs by AAFCO as dogs have the ability to synthesise taurine from other nutrients in the diet, which are present in our Ivory Coat grainfree dry foods at the correct levels.
Our Ivory Coat cat products all contain Taurine as this is an essential nutrient for cats and the levels found within our foods are in line with the AAFCO nutritional standards for cats.
We are aware of the notifications issued by the FDA regarding grain free diets, and understand that further research is needed to better understand and further identify the suspected link between Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy and the diet. As pet owners ourselves, we are committed to ensuring we are making high quality, nutritious and safe foods for our customers furry companions, so will continue to proactively work with the PFIAA, and industry leading animal nutritionists as new research information into pet foods and nutrition is made available to the industry.
If you are concerned regarding your dogs taurine levels, dilated cardiomyopathy or have further questions on which food is most suitable for your pet we recommend you speak to your attending veterinarian.

Lorraine

Thankyou very much this was most helpful my boy loves your food and I will continue to buy it for him.

Lisa-jane D.
Lisa-jane D. · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

So it is not Australian owner??

Sally
Sally

Sadly not anymore. It was bought out by a Chinese company (as seen in this article: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-24/chinese-investors-sink-teeth-into-pet-food-company/9081298 ). It still claims it’s “made in Australia” but apparently to use that label it just means “overall costs associated with the product amount to 50% or more, which is attributable to Australia”. It does NOT have a “product of Australia” stamp which would mean they “are
able to prove that all significant ingredients or components are sourced from Australia” as referenced from here ( https://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4436/the-requirements-for-an-australian-made-good-or-pr.aspx ). Their website is vague and I can’t find any information about what percentage of ingredients are Australian if any at all. They just specify that it’s made in Australia in their own facilities, I would guess that unfortunately the ingredients are imported. Having said that my dog still loves it and is healthy and he’s never had a problem. It’s such a shame to see an Australian QLD based company moved overseas, nothing seems to stay Australian owned and made from Australian ingredients because it’s too expensive. Hope this helps, if anyone has any further information feel free to add it, I’m sure we’re all interested!

Lyn

Hi Sally. Up until a couple of months ago, I thought Ivory Coat was still an Australian owned company until I did some research on why my dogs didn't now like the biscuits, where previously, they loved them and realised that it wasn't now Australian owned and had thought maybe the ingredients and formula had changed. I will no longer be purchasing these due to my dogs refusing to eat them and not Australian owned. There are two companies that I will be purchasing from and they are "Scratch" and ""Stay Loyal" and as Australian owned and all Australian ingredients etc, they will get my business. We need to support these Australian owned companies to keep them producing here in Australia, not selling out to overseas companies.

unhappy father
unhappy father · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

I am currently feeding my german shepard pup on ivory coast big dog breed puppy mixed with minced beef and finding he is getting diarrhea. I think it might be the coconut oil? When I stop the biscuits and swap to rice it stops. Anyone else have the same problem>

Cleomum
Cleomum

I used to feed Cleo(rottie x Kelpie) with raw chicken neck or drumsticks as a snack and had same issue. I think ivorycoat is naturally rich in protein so any excess fat/protein seems to trouble breaking down.

I would modify the amount of ivorycoat if you want to continue mixing with minced beef. Otherwise, I find it the dry food itself contains all the nutrients it requires.

So now I only feed Cleo mainly dry food(ivorycoat) and treats(beef liver treats, jerky treats and dental gum).

SteveB
SteveB

I don't mix the Ivory Coat with any other food. I sometimes feed her Chicken necks as a meal on it's own.

Lea I.
Lea I.

I feed our two boxer puppies Ivory coat on it's own and give them sardines as a separate meal and they are thriving

Carlos
Carlos · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

I have only just found this food and was very pleased to be able to give our dogs the best but changes in ownership mean big buy out prices and then maybe a reduction in quality to try to recoup some of the investment cost, If this happens owners will soon abandon this product if there is a failure of integrity from the new owners so be aware consumers of this product will pay for premium product but you won't fool them very long if there is any change My question is WILL THE NEW OWNERS PUBLICLY GIVE AN UNDERTAKING TO MAINTAIN THE FORMULA OF THIS SUCCESSFUL PRODUCT

Lorraine K.
Lorraine K.

If they are Chinese I wouldn’t bank on that- heaven knows what they will put in it.

Deborah S
Deborah S · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

Can I mix this kibble with raw or will it upset the balance?

paws
paws

Add sml bits of raw each feeding time like cple handfulls only or 1 handful to start of im not a vet so i cant really give u a answer. Duck and turkey my dogs luv. Ivory coat good ingrdients your dogs in good hands with this product also blk hawke grain free always good product

jackie
jackie

I find mixing small amounts of raw lamb mince okay for my dog who has many food allergies.

Brooke
Brooke · Grain Free Dry Dog Food

I have fed our two Mastiff's on Ivory Coat for l over 12months however I have noticed a change in the last coupLe of months. There flatulence is out of control and extremely smelly to the point I have to change food. Has there even a recent change in ingredient?

Hong
Hong

Hi Brooke,

Not sure if it has changed anything but have heard they have been bought out but overseas investor. I haven’t done any further research but looking closely as owners review to see if any problems are arising due to change of ownership(?)

Get an answer from our members and Ivory Coat representatives

Select a listing for your question
Ivory Coat Grain Free Dry Dog Food