Jeep Patriot MK

13 questions from our users

Mahleigh

Mahleighasked

MK Limited (2007-2016)

Hi guys so we're up for another car and going to have a look at a 2015 patriot limited any advice or what I should check for under it's hood when I see it and test drive it this one I'm looking at has had 1 owner and has done 97000kms on the clock the interior is smiko apparently it was a trade in for a later model any advice would be amazing.

Chilby

Chilbyasked

Hi guys,
I'm looking at purchasing a patriot 2010 model. It has 181,000 kms on the clock can an owner of one tell me if this amount of kms okay for the price of about $6000?

Anthony S
Anthony S

Stay clear I own one and has halve the kms and nothing but trouble. If considering make sure you get a mechanic to check it out before you commit to buying. 9 yrs owning mine I've had lower control arms and ball joints replaced, front wheel bearing replaced 3 times. Clutch and gearbox issues and I've only just reached 100,000kms.

Rosco

Roscoasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

Gday, I'm looking at buying a 2008 Jeep Patriot MK diesel. Anybody got any advice or reviews? Anyone had any issues?

Mammoth
Mammoth

Looks like, from the reviews, it's a bit hit and miss. If you have a good one, it'll be reasonable in repairs. But if you have a lemon, like quite a few are saying, you're up for big repair costs. Good luck on that.

Snakehead

Snakeheadasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

How much would it cost to fix its engine that sounds like a tractor and has something wrong deep in engine?

Do you own a Patriot making that sort of noise from the engine Snakehead, or are you looking at buying one? I've since sold this horrible car, I will NEVER own another Jeep!

grantc

grantcasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

I bought my Jeep in Aug 2012. for the past two years several dealerships have not been able to rectify the doors locking/unlocking. As soon as it was out of warranty, the heater vent valve needs replacing. Now the gearbox needs replacing. I do around 150,000km every 3 years. I have owned new model cars for the past six years and have not had any troubles like I have with this Jeep. There is one dealership in Phillip ACT I would never use again, they give the worst after care. I had to tape the noises the car would make before they would do anything.
Anyone know how much to replace a gearbox???
Or the complaints line for JEEP??

Parker

Sorry to hear your story. We just sold the Jeep as last year we had engine trouble that was claimed to be fuel contamination. It cost $1700 to fix. The engine never ran the same way again. If you can sell it, get out of it as we'd never buy nor recommend a Jeep again - Service was terrible.

echarlottex
echarlottex

In relation to the doors locking/unlocking. I had this problem with my patriot less than a year old (2013). I demanded it to be fixed under warranty (cost $5000). They ended up replacing the whole front dash as it took them months to figure it out. Calling all other service centres etc. I don't know why it happened or how exactly it was fixed. It was an awful experience.

Grumpy

Grumpyasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

Own a 2011 Patriot 4x4 6 speed CVT auto have been asked on a trip to Fraser Island can she cope with the terrain and beaches? Is there anything I can do to improve the capability?

Parker

You 4 x 4 has the 2.4 litre engine so it should be more capable. I'd just check tires before you go. Fraser Island is suited to more rugged 4x4s as I have driven there.

bravoromeo007
bravoromeo007

If you read the info from parks and wildlife they will tell you that you need a 4wd with high clearance and low range transmission for Fraser Island.
The accesses to and from the beach can have very deep ruts due to the large volume of traffic these days. Your Patriot should be fine on the beach, if you can get to the beach that is...Try Tewah Beach to the South in your car, then go with your friends to Fraser in their car.

alecpower1995

alecpower1995asked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

Im looking to buy a 2008-2010 jeep patriot but i recently have come across a 2005 ford territory and like that just as much, the only thing that is getting me is the fuel comparison. can anyone please help me as i was a economical car but i know nothing about it?

Hi.

Don't buy a Jeep and don't buy a Patriot. My comments have changes nearly 2 years in. The fuel consumption is bad - around 14 litres per 100 kilometres.

The Jeep service is bad. We were told that the fuel system had been contaminated last year and it cost $1700 to repair. The Service Manager at MelbournenCity Jeep was rude through the process as I just asked if it would be covered by insurance and was told abruptly that it would not be.

I see more bad reviews for all Jeeps than good.

We are just about to sell the Patriot and will buy Japanese next time for reliability and better fuel economy. Mazda CX-5 will be our choice next time.

The Jeep experience has now been bad for us.

Terry
Terry

I have over 55000 km's on my Patriot and it's going great, fuel economy is around 7km to the 100 if I'm driving highway and around 8 in the city. During summer with the air con pumping it can get up to 10L to the 100 but that's usually in busy city traffic. I've heard some ordinary things about the auto transmission and I'm glad I bought the manual. In all honesty, I've driven the territory and it's really really thirsty but it's still a pretty nice drive. I'd take a Patriot any day

jeepfan
jeepfan

I have a patriot 2l turbo diesel and no problems very economical highway driving and town Perth she showed 7.5\100 and that's good the best ever got was 7.2. going off road lancelin dunes driving mostly 1st and 2nd gear she went up to 8-9 \100 but have to say this is non stop playing for about 3hrs the only negative I've got was some bad uphills is that the 4x4 electronic system seems to run out of power when about 75%up the hills but again very impressive with the patriot and this is my second jeep ...always a jeep fan.

remus

remusasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

I would like to buy a Jeep Patriot 2.0L, 2008 manual, disel and need some sugestions as the car has 207000 km? I am thinking that the engine ww can handle 1, 000, 000km.

Parker

Hi Remus, our car is a petrol auto. Not sure the diesel would handle 1million km so would get the likes of an RACV check beforehand. Also parts for some Jeeps are hard to come by. Hope this helps.

Tracey

Traceyasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

I am leaning towards a Jeep Patriot, but have been looking at the holden captiva 7 seater also.... any comments of which is better if any?? Help me make my decision.... I cant seem to do it myself :)

The Jeep Patriot is a great mid size SUV. The factory fitted sat nav is just amazing. I have driven the Captiva but it did not impress me in terms of design or style. For overall design, the Jeep is well proportioned, the driver sits high enough to command a great view of the road and traffic conditions. Petrol consumption is good too. The Jeep's failing lay with the after sale service by the dealership when the vehicle demonstrated serious transmission and other manufacturing faults. The dealership and Chrysler Australia failed to satisfactorily address our concerns for months on end. I don't expect our situation is very common, but it does not bode well when I only got a satisfactory result after writing directly to and pleading with the CEO of Chrysler for his help! I therefore recommend you choose a car on the basis of the best warranty and after sale customer service. You just need to google complaints and the manufacturer or model to see results and then decide!

Mark Holman
Mark Holman

Hi Tracey. My final choice was between the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Jeep,but I have driven my boss's Captiva and it did nothing for me at all. The Jeep is much more comfy and has more standard features,drives better too. My boss saw my Jeep and wishes she had bought one! Drive them both and compare features etc.,and see which one you prefer. I hope this has been of some help to you.

harry

harryasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

What is the patrot like on fuel around town?

About the same as most SUV. 2 litre 4X2 is best.

TassiePatriot

2011, 4x4, 5 Speed Manual - City 8.8-9.2, Highway 8.1-8.4 , That is through the very windy and hilly roads of Tasmania. (Currently 29,000kms on the clock since brand new.

Jarred

Jarredasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

Is the Jeep Patriot a petrol thirst SUV? Compared to Japanese counter part.

wannabe
wannabe

i am interested to know the answer.....if you hv the answer.

Mick

Mickasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

What is the servicing costs like for a Jeep patriot only in the 4x2?

Billy
Billy

I think it depends on the dealer! I recently bought a 2013 Patroit 4x2, and the dealer told me the service cost is $250 capped for 3 years! Once you miss a service, you'll lose the warranty! And it sounds expensive!

Cost about the same as all other SUVs.

TassiePatriot

Misconceptions about 'losing warranty' if not servicing through a dealer is unfortunately a scare tactic of dealerships to make more money over the life of the vehicle. Your vehicle holds the same warranty, for the term of the warranty period, regardless of servicing or not through a dealer. There will never be a day in my life that I would pay a dealership to change the oil in any car for $400. Major services, are another thing, but a $400 oil change, is criminal. It is also proven that 'oil' in your car, does not deteriorate due to the time-period stated in the servicing schedule. Distance travelled is obviously another matter, and THAT is the only thing that justifies an oil change. (I completed my trade and 9 years of my life as a Holden dealership mechanic, and I've seen all the dodgy tactics you could think of unfortunately!)

ray

rayasked

Patriot MK (2007-2016)

Can you put a roof top tent on a 2011 model?

Yes, but you need good quality roof racks.

TassiePatriot

Sure can - I would just suggest a rear spring upgrade such as Merchison Products CRDSTU - HD Rear Coils, or go the whole 2" Lift Springs for about $500. Google Merchison Products Australia (Qld).

Other Small / Compact SUVs