Leitner Electric Fat Bike

Leitner Electric Fat Bike Questions & Answers

RickS
RickS

1) is the bike easy to clean after riding on beach sand and probably being subjected to sea water
2) is the bike weather proof and ok to ride in the rain
3) is it possible to mount a carry basket on the front of the bike

Leitner   DM

We suggest to use a damp cloth to wipe clean the bike. Never water hose the bike as this may damage parts of the bikes. We also recommend using anti-rust protection on parts of the bike if you stay close to salt water. The bike is water resistant to an extent, not waterproof. We do not suggest to ride in wet conditions. Some customers have successfully source front basket for their bikes, but just bear in mind to protect the wiring at the front of the bike to avoid any damage to the wiring. Hope this helps. Please contact our team at sales@leitner.com.au if you have any further questions.

Johno
Johno

I have the fat tyre ebike and for where I ride I will never ride anything else. This bike allows me to go anywhere. Cats eyes have not caused a puncture, just pull them out and keep going. 5 stars +. I use the throttle most of the time. Can the pedal assist setting 1 be adjusted down to be less aggressive?

Happy Buyer

I have the same bike John and found the pedal assist to be a little to aggressive for me as well, no adjustment, have never used it since. I like the responsiveness of the throttle, I feel I have more control.
At 72 and 6000k’s later, by far the best choice of Ebike,

Leitner   DM

Hi Johno, please contact our team at sales@leitner.com.au if you have any questions. Thank you for your support and hope you will continue to enjoy your Fat Bike!

John R.
John R.

I have a Leitner mountain bike which I have had for about 5 years. When I peddle the motor turns of after about 10 seconds. If I turn the power off and on again it will go for another 10 seconds and so on . If I peddle backwards it will go for 10 more seconds . If I put the brake on and off again the same thing. Do you have a solution!!!!!!

Leitner   DM

Dear John, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your bike. Please contact us team at sales@leitner.com.au and we will be able to assist you further. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Robert

Simple problem. I am 59 and moving to Port Macquarie. I have read up on the Letter range and figured OK. Problem 1. Which one Cross-x,' Berliner or Fat tyre. Like to go shopping with it also get out and about. Yea read reviews on all three. The only decision I've made so far is the 14ah battery!

Mark O.

I have the fat bike and I think it would be great for what you are talking about. But there is significant drag from the tyres so is you think you will be on sealed roads, the Berliner might be a good bet.

Happy Buyer

At 72 using the Fatbike suits me perfectly, most times on sealed roads but perfect when you want to get off the beaten track or a beach run. Couldn’t be happier.

Thanks.

Leitner   DM

Dear Robert, Please feel free to contact our customer service team and discuss further. We will be able to assist you further.
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Robert

Hi. Yea bit of a delima. As stated I'll use it for daily shopping but then also get out and about. I see other people have put racks on their cross-x so that's a bonus. Leaning towards the cross-x simply because of the "get out and around on trails" just one thing. No listing for Cross-x 14Ah silver?

Leitner   DM

Dear Robert, Thanks for your message and feedback.
Many of the Cross X customers source themselves rear racks that clamps onto the rear frame of the bike or rear racks that attaches to the seat post. You may try your local bike shop and see if there is any options that suits you. Unfortunately, all SILVER Cross X with 14..4Ah battery is sold out at this stage. If you have more questions, please feel free to contact us via sales@leitner.com.au or call our team on 1300 856 725 between Mon-Fri 9am-4:30pm. We look forward to hearing from you.

Steve

Hello I have fat tyre learner e-bike I would like to no we’re is the speed sensor and can I make it go faster

Mark O.

You can change the maximum allowed speed on the control panel. I think it goes to to about 36kph but, of course, it can't be ridden on a public road.

Leitner   DM

Hi Steve, The speed sensor is on the motor core, inside the rear hub.
The Fat Bike's power ratios and top speed can be changed through the settings menu. For more information, please email us at sales@leitner.com.au.
Thanks! Leitner Team

Steve K.
Steve K.

I am considering an e-bike. Work commute. Very hilly terrain 12km each way. The steep hills are on the home run. I am tall and need to carry Laptops etc. Which would you suggest? Used to ride road/racers as a daily 9km commute.

Steve

Power and torque on hills is an issue for us both. I have a lot of friction with grass and stuff in paddocks. Your hills will demand a fairly powerful EBike. In Australia they are limited to 25kph for the road which is a problem. I would recommend 750 to 1000 W for you. Mine is 500-750 and I still have to pedal a bit in the paddocks but flies on the gravel or road. As is often the case, you get what you pay for. I am pretty happy with value for money in my case.

Leitner   DM

Hi Steve, thanks for your message. Please note that it all depends on how steep the hills are and your riding conditions. We have customers who use our Fat Bike with 500W and said they can defeat any hills. We also have customers who only have our standard models with 250W motor can also defeat any hills. It depends on your riding habit and how much effort you wish to put in your riding. You will definitely not expect to be able to cruise uphill without any effort if you choose the 250W ebike. The motor will assist you depending that how much assistance you selected. Please note that in most states 250W ebike is road legal and NSW road laws have recently increased this to 500W, however speed limit is still at 25km/hr. If you have more questions and would like to discuss further, please contact our team at sales@leitner.com.au and we are happy to assist you. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

So does the fat tyre bike able to purchase upgrades to 1000w

Leitner   DM

Hi Steve, We do not have any upgrades available for the Fat Bike. The 500W motor is the only option for the Fat Bike.
Thanks! Leitner Team

Hi
I have purchased a leitner fat tire Ebike and the person before me had turned of pedal assist of so that you could only use throttle but pedal normally. How do I activate pedal assist again?

Steve

when you turn on the battery, then hold down the middle button to turn on your handlebar display. ON this press the up button and it will graduate (in the top righthand corner) from 1 to 5. I put it on max 5. You probs need to do this each time you switch the battery on again.

Steve

.. . so the pedal assist goes off when switched off.

Steve

I'm a geriatric but when you get used to it . . . fabulous bike.

Alexander G.

I have tried but the previous owner said he went into the settings and changed it to only throttle and no pedal assist and I haven’t found out how to activate pedal assist again.

Leitner   DM

Hi Alexander, I would be happy to help you with this. Please email us at sales@leitner.com.au, and we will give you the instructions to fix this issue for you. Thanks!

Regards, Leitner Team

Leitner   DM

Hi Alexander, please contact our customer service team via sales@leitner.com.au if you have any questions regarding your bike. We will be able to assist you further. Thank you!

Martim F.
Martim F.

Hi Team,
I have the Leitner Berlin Bike when i switch of the power on the handlebar control panel it is very hard to pedal, both wheels move freely. Just seems to happen when i sit on it. With my old Leitner Bike i didn't have the same issue.
Many thanks for your help

Leitner   DM

Hi Martim, please contact our team at sales@leitner.com.au and we will be able to assist you further. Thank you!

Hi my bike seems to be fine until it reaches 24 kmh then
The motor will just cut out also the throttle will now only go 13kmh which is annoying so wondering what I can do to resolve this problem and get the full potential back from
My bike thank you

Keef

I had the same problem. Call Leitner for instructions on how to reset the controller. Easy fix.

Leitner   DM

Hi Tim, please contact our team via email or phone and we will be able to assist you further. Thank you!

Christopher B.
Christopher B.

How long does the battery last and how much for a replacement? I'm considering buying a second hand bike

SL Garbutt
SL Garbutt

If my right hand brake lever is damaged (and removed) will it affect the power to throttle. Pedal assist had broken also. Throttle used last 3 months. Power to throttle diminished ovet last week. Bike booked for service in two weeks.

Keef

Call Leitner they are great.
Both brakes are designed to cut motor power if brake is applied.
I had a problem with reduced power but Leitner helped me fix the programming.
Not a Leitner employee, just a very happy customer :)

Leitner   DM

Hi SL, If you're having issues with your Leitner, we're here to help! Please email us at sales@leitner.com.au, or call us on 1300 856 725, and we'll get you sorted. Thank you!

Russell C.
Russell C.

I recently purchased a Leitner Fat Bike and love how it gives me access to explore off road trails and the beach. It really goes places a standard bike won't go. It has been mentioned previously that the fat bike is harder to pedal without using electric power compared to lighter bikes. With only one front sprocket, I'm just wondering if an alternate crankset is available to assist with this? The power function is excellent to have, however it would be good not to have to use it as much on easy terrain. It would be good exercise as well as extending battery life for when you need it.

Keef

I didn't read the manual properly and didn't realise you can set the power level to ZERO aka "0"
That way the power doesn't kick in as soon as you spin the pedals and you can just add as much boost as you need by twisting the throttle.
Better range and safer when going over rough ground.

Leitner   DM

Dear Russell, Thanks for your message and we are glad to hear that you are enjoying your Fat Bike. Unfortunately, we do not have an alternative crankset for the Fat Bike. We do suggest to use the minimum assist at least as it is quite hard to ride without the power assist due to the weight of the bike. Hope this helps. Please contact our customer service team if you have any other questions via sales@leitner.com.au or 1300 856 725. Thank you!
Kitty

Justin N.
Justin N.

Is the bike water proof i.e. can you ride it in rain?

Leitner   DM

Hi Justin, Our bikes are water-resistant but not water-proof, and we do not recommend they be ridden in the rain or exposed to significant amounts of moisture. For more information, see external link , or email us at sales@leitner.com.au. Regards, Leitner Team

mickrehbach
mickrehbach

Can a rack be attached to the rear?

Matt
Matt

Yes I picked 1 up from my local bike store. $65 attached to seat pole and down to the frame either side of wheel. I can hold 2 fully charged batteries on mine with and ebay waterproof bag add on

Ziggy
Ziggy

We bought two fat bikes. Generally nice and fun! Both seem to have rather too much pedal assist at minimum setting, so unlikely to be a fault with a single one. Assist does not seem to come on very gradually but more abruptly than it should. This makes cruising at low speed a little too exciting. Adjustable? Maybe pop off a cover and adjust a trimpot?

Razz
Razz

how far do you get out of one battery?

Greg H.
Greg H.

Yes Ziggy I have the same question on 1 0n peddle assist about 26kph ,have to select 7th gear to keep up with motor ,no good for a steady peddle .

Jason S.
Jason S.

Price

Deborah G

Im a 53 year old woman who would like to get into cycling, mainly to work to save costs on parking. I have a motorbike, which I do love, but I am having trouble fining off road parking at work (most of the car parks don't accept motorbikes - which is weird right), and thought it was time I try cycling instead. Also, my son gets worried about me on the motorbike. I thought the Fat Bike might give me some options to also look into off road riding.

I am 157cm tall. Wondering if this would suit my needs.

Does anyone know the downside of the fat tyres? E.g. are they harder to peddle without power assist?

Any advice appreciated.

Philip
Philip

I have no trouble pedalling the fat tyres either way but why not use pedal assist if you buy it.
I am 177cm tall and the Fat Bike works for me but at 157 you might try to measure up with a real bike. At 177 I have the seat at its lowest point. Hope this helps Philip

Deborah G

Thanks Phillip. I might go and size myself up before purchasing.

Leitner   DM

Dear Deborah, Thanks for your message.

The minimum recommended rider height for the Fat Bike is around 165cm (5'5"). You can see the dimensions of the Fat Bike on our website to see if this will be suitable as everyone is built differently. We do suggest you to also check out our range of bikes to see which one is more suitable for you. The Fat Bike is generally a bit heavier than other range and will be slightly more difficult to ride without power assistance compared to other range due to the weight of the bike.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 856 725 or via email at sales@leitner.com.au . Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Yvonne

I have a basic Leitner entry level bike with an upgraded battery which I order upon purchase. I think I may have an issue. The bicycle is nearly impossible to pedal without pedal assist (almost seems like brakes are being applied) and doesn't seem to have much, if any, additional power in the lowest mode, but is fine with the second and third levels of power. This problem seemed to have occured after about a year of owning the bike. Would a service fix this - would I ask the service people to look for anything in particular? I'm happy to provide my email and phone number.

Yvonne

In additon to my previous question - it also seems harder to walk and push than it should be. I didn't think to turn the key off (the battery was low and the power surges too sporadic to be able to cycle at all). Does having the key off or on affect pedalling with power modes being off?

Ian

t sounds like something basis isn't right. Lift the front wheel off the ground and try turning it. Does it spin easily?. Repeat with the rear wheel. If either wheel doesn't spin easily there is a problem that might be easily fixed with a service.

Yvonne

Thanks - I'll give that a go! Keen to resolve it as I'm using the bike regularly now (and love it) but would be keen to only use the pedal assist when I really need to, not all the time.

Yvonne

They both turn freely, but both feel rather 'heavy' to 'push/spin' in comparison to a non electric bike. I'll take it in for a service to have the experts look at it. From memory when I put the bike together, it didn't have extraordinarily 'heavy' tyres.

Robert

Hi, I recently purchased a Leitner Fat bike, are there any mudgards, front and back, that fit the bike ?

Ian

I am just a customer like you so this is really a question for the Leitner people. That said, I would say 'not likely' as the fat bike is designed for off road use where you get down and get dirty. I've gone past the 1000km on my fat bike down her in Tassie and have not found it an issue.
Cheers

Robert

thanks for taking the time to answer, cheers

Tom
Tom

How far can one go on a charge on fat bike. Are the batteries an improvement on prior types of batteries

Get an answer from our members and Leitner representatives