Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Questions & Answers

Bob
Bob

Why does the Mich pilot sport AS4 have one of the lowest tire warranties ( 40k ) when compared to the average warranty of 60k? For example, the Bridgestone QuietTrack, has an 80k mile warranty, which is literally double what the Pilot offers with a lower price tag. The ratings are equal, with the Bridgestone ranking higher in some areas. As a consumer, why would I pay more for less?

David B.
David B.

Are these tyres run flat

Gary C.
Gary C.

No they are not run flat tyres

Glen T.
Glen T.

is this tyre available with size 225/50R16?

Georgio
Georgio

Are the michelin pilot sport 4 reliable on bad roads? In other words do these tires form bubbles on the sidewall frequently?

Orvis
Orvis

My area has some of the worst pot holes I’ve ever seen. In fact I can recall hitting some so hard I was sure the rim would be bent. Never any problems or bubbles.

Pete007
Pete007

I have never had issues like that. The shop that I purchased them from did say as they are soft, they would be more susceptible to damage as apposed to a harder compound, but I haven’t had any problems. Grip is excellent, my only issue is the road noise.

Cooranite

What mileage can the average driver expect from these tyres.

Alan S
Alan S

Depends on how much HP your car has and how you drive it. If it's RWD, FWD,AWD, Weight of the car etc etc. I Normally get around 30k

Cooranite

Thanks Alan S. Have just done 30K so pretty much aligns with yours, Hope to get a little more but will shop around for a good price now.

Kapitoshka
Kapitoshka

I think if your concern is longevity of the sport tyre you may look for the alternative. There is significant trade off, pretty much almost like a sliding scale between performance and longevity of a tyre. MP4 are amazing tyres, but... If you decide that you need them not only for performance, but also for longevity you may need to pay better attention to thins like tyre pressure, load of the car, tyre rotation cycles, roads you choose to drive on etc. Many report on getting 15k - 50k kms out of the tyre depending on car and how you use/look after it. Hope it helps

Cooranite

Thanks Kapitoshka. I am careful with tyre pressure and usually only 2 of us in the car for most drives which are not hard driving. If they last to 35k or better will be fantastic. Currently most dealers find Michelin difficult to source so am looking at Pirelli which are the equivalent tyre quality I believe.

Joe T.

Are pilot 4's a good wearing tyre?

Mitch R

Are pilot 4’s a Good wearing tyre? There is a thousand reasons why tyres wear fast. 1 tyre pressure, keep them hard,(highest pressure on the tyre placard, ALL THE TIME) 2 wheel alignment, that can be difficult to judge, the mechanic who does it needs to know his work, and sometimes manufacturers wheel alignment specifications will even cause faster than nessassary wear rates. 3 driving style, aggressive acceleration and aggresive braking will wear tyres faster.
As said previously, my Megane has done 30,000km with tyres less than half worn, I’m not going to predict the future wear rates. I look after my tyres. If you want tyres that last a long time, you will sacrifice traction and grip. I’ll put it another way, have you ever skidded tyres on a wet cold road? You are less likely to (in my experience) with these Michelin pilot 4’s. they are still the quietest tyre I’ve ever driven on and also smoother riding than another brand fitted previously.

Joe T.

Are Pilot 4s tyres a hard compound? How do they wear?

Mitch R

You have asked a short question. Hard compounds typically means low grip and long life. The pilot4’s on my Megane have done about 30,000km with less than half wear. Tyre life is not important to me, traction is. After all the tyre is the only thing holding the car to the road. Wet and dry grip excellent still. Amazing braking, still the quietest tyre I’ve driven on.

Paul A
Paul A

Only 34,000km on my Tesla Model 3 SR+ and they need replacing. Moderate driving and the recommended 42kpi pressure. Rotation at 15,000km

Asehgal

I am a newbie to this and seek suggestions to run-flat tyres, if you can advice on them.

I have to buy new run-flat tires for my IS 300 (225/45/17). The tires that came fitted on the car were Bridgestone ER033 (Costco selling at $190) and they crashed out at under 30k kms. My searching around has given me options to look at Michelin PS4 (expensive $260/- in the list), Pirelli P 7 (less expensive). My drive is mostly within city. I am not savvy with these things so asking for. Any suggestions will help me.

steve565
steve565

Neither the Michelin or Pirelli are run flat tyres. Stick to Bridgestone or the original tyres your vehicle came out with.

Asehgal

Hi Steve565 - the models I quoted do come in run flat tires. I would have continued with Bridgestone as these are the ones that came fitted on the car - but the mileage on them is poor despite due diligence and care.

Mitch R

I have not driven on run flat tyres. My belief is they tend to be more hard riding. Tyres wearing out at 30,000 is either tyre pressure or wheel alignment problem. I have a simple solution for tyre pressures, check the tyre placard, find the highest pressure on the placard, keep all tyres at that pressure all the time.

Asehgal

Thanks Mitch - I agree that with some basics of rotation, wheel alignment and pressure we can prolong the life. You are also correct that these run-flats come with hard riding. I have 'normal' tires on my other car and I am already 65k mileage with another 10k possible on them. Its just that I am looking at some user experience from people on run-flat tires on what I should go for:)

Carmen S.
Carmen S.

Has there been anyone that has had their PS4 (driver side ) rear tyre split?
Inside wall tyre from rim to tread wall.
No obvious road issues during driving vehicle.

Mitch R

I’m not a tyre expert, just an ex mechanic who is really particular (read fussy) about tyres. Side wall split sound like road damage. If it was tyre failure you would like get a lot of warning in the way of shaking from that corner of the car before failure. Tyre failure is very rare these days. Contact Michelin tyres Australia.

Sue

How long should these tyres last please?

Dennis b
Dennis b

I’ll say 40k easier style driving 50k. I’ve done 4500k on my set and I’m impressed don’t over inflate them.

Oh, I’ve only done 32,000 on the set I have and I already need a new set
My last set lasted at least 55k
Bit disappointed as they cost me $1200

Daniel H.

There is promotion atm and you can try to do some more bargaining and price matching

Daniel H.

@Denis: Yea I wasn't sure why Bob Jane did 32 for my front and 34 for my rear. I thought these guys wanted me to come back for a new set soon or what not. LOL. Whereas according to my car placard sticker, for 2-3 person load, it's 35/38. I am doing 35/37 atm to stiffen the side way and it is manufacturer recommended specs anyway. Experiencing a bit understeer, only have driven 300km on them though, hope more grip will come soon. I would probably keep 35/37 unless otherwise because someone said these sidewalls are soft and I do feel a bit rolling.

Dino
Dino

I have a 2012 WRX that currently has Pirelli Dragon Sports on them . I am looking to replace with Pilot Sport 4. Has anyone done the same and what has the main difference been. Thanks

Dragon sports are budget tyres. You should buy P7 or Sport Contact 5

Moorey
Moorey

I have a Clubsport 5.7 Gen3 and am running Toyo Proxes T1 Sports.A fantastic tyre especially in the Wet. Treadwear is 240 and I got 25,000 ks out of them.They don't make em amymore so after a seach I've decided to try Michelin PS4s .Should they perform as well as the tredwear rating is 300 I think???

Russell
Russell

I have had the Pilot Sport 4s on a Toyota V6 Aurion sedan (Now called Camry again in the new models) and after driving across Australia and back on them, about 8,000 kms, which included some mountain roads, I found them really smooth and grippy enough. The road noise is a little bit more than the discontinued Pilot Spot 3s, but overall they are a fantastic value for money tyre. On cold days they take about 3 minutes to warm up then are smooth again. I would recommend them not as a track tyre but as a reliable every day work horse.

Slammer
Slammer

I"m currently on Michelin Primacy 3 size 215/55/17. I intend to get Michelin Ps 4 but with different sizing to 225/50/17...

Should i just change the Ps 4 tyre with the same size or change a bit low profile 225/50/17 with Michelin Ps 4 tyre???

Any opinion and how much it will affect my FC????

deandownunder

Lower profile will give a firmer ride if that's what you want. My advice use same size.

Andrew

Yeah, keep the same size. There would be no real performance or handling improvement by going lower.

There's more to consider than just this though, there are other implications -

-if you have an accident and the insurance company discovers that the tyres are not right, they can void your policy

- your speedo will be out

- the ride will be a bit harsher

Better to be safe than sorry

Michael M
Michael M

Sizes and pricing?

deandownunder

The size I purchased from Costco was 225 40 ZR18 and the price was $760 for 4 fitted, balanced and nitrogen filled with free rotation every 10k. They are Michelin stockists and prices are unbeatable.

The cook lover
The cook lover

Thats an amazing price. Im fitting pilot p4's on soon at 788 for 4 including a $100 promo discount and filled with nitrogen, fitted and balanced. Ill have to ask them about the rotation being free. I didnt know.

daz
daz

I need to know these performance tyres or just the pilot sport 4 tyres as many try rip of customers thx some are 98y and 103y. Any ideas?

Bellakelpie
Bellakelpie

It depends on the size of tyre you are looking at. The Pilot Sport 4 range vary from 88W to 100Y, depending on size . Similarly, the Pilot Sport 4S range goes from 88Y to 106Y. Check the company's website and select the "Michelin Pilot Family of Tyres"page option for more information.

deandownunder

The numbers represent load and speed . The higher the load rating the stiffer the sidewall. Take the advice of your tyre retailer. He will ensure you are safely set up taking into consideration the type of vehicle, the loads you will be carrying and Max speed of the vehicle.

Andrew

The Pilot Sport 4 are certainly performance orientated, however not as sporty as the Pilot Sport 4S (nor as expensive). I would have preferred the 4S, however my wheels are 245/40 18, and unfortunately, the 4S does not come in this size.

Using 'just' as an adverb for the Pilot Sport 4 is insulting to just how good they are (for the price). It's like saying that they are not as good as the Pirelli P Zero's, which is accurate, however when you take into account the difference in price, you would expect that to be the case.

If your wheels can fit the Pilot Sport 4S (and your budget will allow), go for them. If you can't fit or can't afford the 4S, then you might have to take a step back to the Pilot Sport 4. Even then, I doubt you would be disappointed with 'just' Pilot Sport 4.

Aris
Aris

Is the Pilot Sport 4 quiet and durable? how does it compare to the Primacy 3?

Cobrin

I find the PS4 to be good with NVH they're 320 rated for treadwear which is the same for the PS3 so typically you'd get sround 40-50K kms pending on how you drive, where you drive ect...they are a performance tyre and perform well.

The Primacy tyre is a comfort tyre so NVH should be better (so less noise/vibration/harshness) and they're treadwear rating is 340 so should last a tad longer than the PS4 in terms of longevity but again you mileage depends on many factors.

CSR

I want a very smooth ride. Michelin PS4 or Primacy ST 3?

Currently on stock Goodyear efficient grip and are too bouncy on the road

Cobrin

Late answer but better said than not...

PS4 are sport tyres, with that comes performance, Primacy tyres are comfort tyres be that on a HWY or local roads for NVH along with all the other benefits each tyre has. For comfort I'd go Primacy.

Thanks. I bought primacy ST3 and they are amazing. Very quite and smooth ride

Get an answer from our members and Michelin representatives

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2023, 2022 and 2021.