NRMA Car Insurance Questions & Answers

Comprehensive, CTP Green Sip (NSW), Third Party Property Damage, etc...

65 questions from our users

Pitbull

Pitbullasked

NRMA Car Insurance

Hello , I was looking at buying a vehicle that has hail damage very very light hail damage but The vehicle is a repairable write off . I was thinking of using the car for RIDE SHARE business as the vehicle has passed A.C.T road worthy and has A.C.T registration, The big QUESTION is can the vehicle be fully comprehensively insured for RIDE SHARE business use in the A.C.T?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hey Pitbull. We will allow allow you to insure hail damaged vehicles for comprehensive insurance under market value provided the vehicle is in a registrable condition. We are unable to offer agreed value on hail damaged vehicles until the damage is repaired. NRMA offers cover for vehicles used for rideshare as long as the vehicle is not used for rideshare 100% and has some private use.

Vlad Arkhipov

Vlad Arkhipovasked

NRMA Car Insurance

NRMA's client damaged my car ( back impact). He was not able to give his NRMA details same day. Only day after. My insurer CBA told my I have to claim him to pay my replacement car. How do I can it ?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Vlad, if you have the NRMA Claim number please call 1300 763 324 so you can talk to our team regarding the accident. ~Nat

Bruce Mason

Bruce Masonasked

NRMA Car Insurance

Can I choose my own repair agent?

Hi Bruce,
You will have to have the option selected on your policy to have your own repairer. If this isn't selected you will be sent to our Network of Repairers.
Please send us a PM with your policy details and I can check this for you.
~Beni

Bruce Mason

Bruce Masonasked

NRMA Car Insurance

Does my policy cover hire car during repairs?

BigBoy
BigBoy

It may, depends on your policy , but read the conditions of the use of a hire car, I did and I doubt I will be availing of the "service"

Hi Bruce,
This can depend on your level of cover and what incident that has occurred.
If you are not at fault and you have the details of the other party we will provide you with a hire car until your vehicle is repaired to paid out as a total loss.
If you don't have the details or you aren't claiming against another party you would need to have this selected in our comprehensive insurance or have out comprehensive plus level of cover.
Hope this helps :)
~Beni

terry f.asked

NRMA Car Insurance

From Terry: Hi NRMA! my car was recently hit by another driver from behind(he was on his phone) who is insured with NRMA. After getting a quote from a panel beater, The driver has decided to get NRMA to deal with this incident.

Q.If the NRMA assesser decides to write off my car, will this affect my good reputation with NRMA insurance?

Q. As my car is insured for an agreed value, will I get all of the agreed value back from NRMA insurance, as I am not at fault?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Terry, in terms of having your vehicle written off - your no claim bonus or reputation will not be affected as you are the not at fault driver. In terms of the value unfortunately we can't answer that here as we aren't claims trained. You are welcome to call the settlement team on 1300 763 324 and they can help further. We hope you're okay! ~Natalie

Thanks Mr Robot!

smokey

smokeyasked

NRMA Car Insurance

My car is insured with NRMA. Agreed value. (42 yrs no claim. 58yrs perfect driving record.) The agreed value on my car last year was $4800 after $100 Depreciation. This year it was dropped by $1800 depreciation to $2900 without my knowledge, when i enquired they said that is all it is worth. They then told me I ca have it back at $4800 if I pay a higher premium. from ($422.08 to $566.27) I have all the details if needed. This is what the NRMA call loyalty, I call it a stab in the back. I have spent over $3000. Fully recondition transmission, 4 new tires $170 each, new starter motor, plus many extras, the insurance dose not even cover what i spent improving the cars value.
Policy no. MOT 083 350 515
Paul Foley

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Smokey, the value of your car will depreciate each year. We use external information to update the value of your vehicle to the standard value of the car that hasn't had any modifications or work. We do allow our customers to increase it but unfortunately it does come with extra cost. The new mechanical work unfortunately doesn't increase the value of the vehicle automatically and you do need to make us aware and depending what it is we may be able to increase the value. I apologise that you feel we have let you down. ~Natalie

CKasked

NRMA Car Insurance

Just picked my car up from a NRMA preferred repairer. Being night time I couldn't inspect the repairs properly... however once home, I noted there to be a lot of white marks & light scratches. When inspecting the interior I was horrified and extremely upset to find my rear leather seat had been cut & torn off from around the seatbelt clasp!!!!

Prior to leaving I found the bonnet/front grill/wheel surrounds covered in baked-on insects and the odometer was a lot higher & more fuel in the tank (at least 15 ltr) than when dropping-off. The repairer fobbed me off when questioning the insects and suggested I pay them another $650 to clean my car.

Both the repairer & NRMA failed to keep me in the loop as far as progression of repair, completion time was extended 3 times & it took 28 days to repair a simple, not-at-fault, rear-ending. I was also getting them to do a private ($400) touch-up on a scratch.

My car is only 3yrs old, low milage, garaged and well cared for. I'm the only driver and pay a very high premium. This is my first claim with NRMA, as the car was previously insured with another company.
What should I do?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi CK, have you raised the issue with the repairer? The first thing to do would be to talk to the repairer around the damages, marks and scratches. If needed from there, please contact our claims team on 131-123 who will be able to help further. ~Nat

Nowayjose
Nowayjose

This is typical, you should see the state our car was returned after going through the NRMA 'approved repairer' a complete and utter mess. Absolutely no communication throughout the repair process which was also extended. It has since been to another shop and is still not acceptable and NRMA just fob you off with excuses and delay tactics. Like you our car was immaculate and well cared for and now a mess thanks to the incompetence of NRMA and their 'approved repairers'.

CK

Sounds like you had the same trouble as I have! No, it's not acceptable & perhaps you might think about going to the ombudsman? From reading some reviews it seems they have power to rectify the crap NRMA dish out. I'll also be getting my car fully inspected by an independent assessor to see exactly what has been done because my car just doesn't 'feel' right.

Mahbub A.

Mahbub A.asked

Car Insurance - Third Party Property Damage

No fault driving accident with other uninsured driver for thirds party property damage only if I lodge claims I need to pay access money or not?

CK

You need to provide the other parties full name, address, phone number, driver licence & rego. You will not need to pay an excess if NRMA agrees you're not at fault, even if the other party only has 'third party insurance'. This happened to me recently.

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Mahbub, CK has basically hit the nail on the head. If you need anything else - please let us know. ~Nat

Neori T.

Do you do Third-party CTP INSURANCE?

Valientasked

NRMA Car Insurance

Wanting to find out if veteran,vintage classics insurance for Francis Grech policy no:VVC563912391has been paid for 2020

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Valient, thanks for your question. Unfortunately we aren't able to disclose this information on a public forum. The policy holder can contact us on 1800 646 605 to confirm if payment has been made. ~Nat

Am i a member

Vinny K.

Vinny K.asked

Hi,
My car was damaged in an accident. Its been two weeks that the repairer has the car, tried calling NRMA they said call repairer. So I called the repairer and they said we have sent the quotes/information to Insurer and NRMA will decide to repair or to write-off. I Don't even know if they are going to repair or write it off. What can I actually do because without a car it's very hard to move around with three kids. If they are going to repair how long would they take.

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Vinny, unfortunately we can never say how long a claim is going to take as each claim is different. If you are waiting on NRMA to approve quotes, this should be done fairly fast however I do suggest giving us a call on 131-123 if you haven't heard anything. The repairer once approved will be able to indicate how long the repairs will take. ~Natalie

Nina

Ninaasked

NRMA Car Insurance

Hi, my car was written off this week from the hail storm, I have received my total loss letter and provided my bank details for the settlement. How long does it take for the payment to be approved and for me to receive the settlement payment?

Glenn Ingham
Glenn Ingham

Lol! Don’t hold your breath I’m still waiting for mine

Sue R
Sue R

I don’t know but good luck

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Nina, payments take around 3/5 business days to process to your account depending on your bank. If you haven't received your payment within 5 business days, please private message our Facebook page facebook.com/nrmainsurance with your claim number and we will follow up for you, thank you. ~Kaz

Eddy Joseph

Eddy Josephasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

Hi
My car was damaged by hail and I don't know how long you will take to get it assessed. Below is my premium, can you please confirm if I will have a hire car during the assessment.
Kind regards
Eddy

YOUR PREMIUM
Please refer to the Premium Excess and Discounts guide
for further information about how we determine your
premium and excesses that may be payable at claim time.
The following provides a breakdown of how your premium
is calculated.
Less 17.5% Loyalty Discount $199.99
Plus Government charges $146.14
Total premium $1,088.97

Hey Eddy.
How long your vehicle takes to get asses will depend on the damage to your vehicle , your location and also the availability of assessors in your area. You would be best to speak with claims directly to get an accurate time frame for your claim. In regards to hire car, I can see from your premium breakdown that you do have the hire car option on your policy so claims will be able to organise you a hire car whilst yours is off the road.
Regards Lizzy

Lyndon

Lyndonasked

NRMA Car Insurance

My car has been written off because of hail damage, can I buy it back off NRMA?

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

hi Lyndon, thanks for your question, we are not offering buy backs for hail damaged cars I am sorry, your claims consultant can provide more information about this for you. ~Kaz

Patricia K.
Patricia K.

I have spoken to claim officer and still get to no clear answer (just"its NRMA policy). Has this always been the case or just implemented for this storm? Feels like being bullied to accepted an $ offer that is not even close to my car value. And hand in a perfectly running road worthy car. Doesn't seem fair for the consumer at all. Not happy with NRMA at all.

Michael Flanagan

Michael Flanaganasked

I got repairs done in 2009 for a smash I wasn’t at fault in
Repaired all good by an Nrma repairer
The door that was replaced with a second hand 1 and now has rust coming out on it (still have docket to show this) is this covered by lifetime warranty of work
The car was 6yrs old at the time i bought it new and still have it.
No rust anywhere else in vehicle as it was rust treated, except the secondhand door

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Michael, Thank you for jumping into Product Review. Claims have advised me that in this situation you can go back to the same smash repairer who will complete another assessment. If it is not possible to do that, you can escalate this question through to Assessing either on 1300 546 125 or via webchat on -https://www.nrma.com.au/claims/car-insurance and click on 'chat now' and the representative can get assessing to contact you. Have a great day~Renae

Tracey B.

Tracey B.asked

NRMA Car Insurance

Hi my car was picked up today to take to the storage place to be assessed how long does it take for my car to be assessed by assessor

Jay Kay
Jay Kay

I was told 5 working days from when it arrives, however mine took almost 3 weeks.

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Tracey, we have an influx of cars waiting to be assessed due to the multiple weather events so I do apologise if there is any delay. At the moment we can't give an ETA on time frames for assessing. ~Nat

KnickyKnackyasked

NRMA Car Insurance

My car was damaged in the January hail storm in Canberra. My appointment to have it assessed at Hume isn't until mid-March. The windscreen repair was done last week (as part of the claim). Does my comprehensive policy cover me to drive the vehicle while I wait for it to be assessed? There are dents on every panel (many dents but all the doors shut properly and none of the other windows are damaged), one mirror cover is missing (but the mirror is still intact and working) and one rear tail light cover is broken (taillight still works though).

Am I covered for anything that happens between now and when the car is assessed for the hail damage? I live out of town and am really struggling without a car. Thank you

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi KnickyKnacky - you can drive your vehicle as long as mechanically it works, the lights works & their is no windscreen damage. If your vehicle is affected again you can claim and will be covered but it may be a separate incident and claim. ~Nat

KnickyKnacky

Ok, great! Thanks for the response.

Peteasked

NRMA Car Insurance

I also have a Canberra hail damaged car. 100s of dents, but minimal plastic breakage, all repairable. 10 year old car so I'm assuming it will be a repairable write-off. The car is still road-worthy and I am driving it regularly.

I booked a claim via the website, and am due for inspection on Wed 12th.

I like the car, and am not concerned about the cosmetics of it, so would like to keep it.

I have been ringing NRMA to find out whether I can get the car back at all. After 4 long on-hold sessions, I finally got through 10 minutes ago after a 1 1/2 hour wait.

To be told that if the car is written off, it will be a Statutory Write Off if it is uneconomic to repair it. And that NRMA do not have an option to recover the vehicle as part of the claim. I was told I could wait until it came up for auction and buy it back.

My question is, why would it be made a Statutory Write Off, and not a Repairable Write Off? I know NSW has stupid rules about everything being Statutory, but even they have exceptions for pure hail damage, afaik. And this is a Canberra vehicle, so doesn't come under NSW rules.

And my opinion on the response times for calls etc. I don't expect the company to have hundreds of staff on hand, just in case there is a disaster. Do you want to pay their salaries through your premiums for all time they spend sitting around when there is no disaster?

Cheers

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Pete, regrettably there have been long queues on the phone and chat lines due to us receiving more than 25,000 claims similar to yours and addressing the bush fires that is currently devastating the country. We have had all hands on deck arranging for assessments to be completed & we are bringing in assessors from other areas and states.We have all hands on deck and more staff put into claims to help process them.

Unfortunately in this case we are not doing buy backs for vehicles affected by the 2019/2020 Hail storms but this is something you can discuss with the assessor once your vehicle has been assessed. I can understand you appreciate your vehicle and content with it - our PDS does state what we do with vehicles at the time of a claim and the decision was made.

I apologise that I don't have a more detailed answer in regards to why we aren't offering buy backs but if you would like me to follow this up please respond and I am happy to do so for you. ~Natalie

Hi Natalie
I would be interested to know if this is something that is being done differently just for this event, presumably because of the level of claims and the efficiency of just sending all write-offs to the auction house.

I would have thought it would be more efficient to just look up the expected value at auction, minus the costs of selling, etc, and adjust my payout by that amount, and let me keep the car.

Worst case, I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for the car when it comes up at auction. But that probably means at least a month or 2 before I have a car.

So, yes if you could get some clarification on why it is being done this way, it would be much appreciated.

Also, could you clarify whether the claims departments statment that all write-offs will be Statutory is correct? To my understanding, that does not conform with the ACT regulations for hail damage write-offs.

Cheers

barstat99
barstat99

HI "care team",

NRMA is an insurance company. They could easily calculate the expected return on at an auction, add a reasonable premium, and sell it back to you. They are only doing this limit claims. Its discgraceful.

I have 30 years history of insurance with NRMA, multiple policies and no claims. I have a car that was willed to my daughter by one of my best friiends that I want to retain. That we have to either not claim or run the gauntlet of an auction is a disgrace. Its non existant customer service.

Insure somewhere else in the future.

SImon

Bob B.asked

NRMA Car Insurance

My car was damaged in the Canberra hailstorm. I was directed (by NRMA) to use the NRMA site to make a booking for my car to be assessed by the assigned repairers Bears Group 3 who were supposed to contact me to tell me where the assessment would take place. That booking is for Thursday 6 Feb at 3.00pm and since I haven't had any contact from Bears I have no idea where to take the car. A story in the Canberra Times indicated that it might be somewhere in Hume, ACT, but no address given.

The time is getting short can someone please help me?

[Personal Details Removed]

[Address Removed]

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Bob, Bears group is assessing at @ 69 Sheppard Street Hume ACT. I have responded to your Facebook comments as well. I have also requested Product Review to remove your personal details to prevent fraud but your question will remain. ~Natalie

Bob B.

Thanks. Yes, I shouldn't have included my personal details here, so my gratitude for arranging their removal. Cheers, Bob

wael h.asked

NRMA Car Insurance

I just did an assessment of my car and I have the Full insurance plus and they told me that the car is repairable. but if I wanted to still drive my car and live with the dent due to the hail storm can I get a compensation Cash instead

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi wael, Thank you for your question. The best people to speak to is our dedicated claims specialists. They are available on our webchat line at https://www.nrma.com.au/claims/car-insurance - just click 'chat now'. They can give you expert advice on your options. Have a great day ~Renae

Bob B.

The 'chat' line is so backed up as to be non-functional.

Tim G

Tim Gasked

Hello,
If my car gets written off because of cosmetic damage caused by hail, but it is still roadworthy, can I a) buy the car directly back off NRMA and b) is it still able to be registered in the ACT (and if so, are there processes I must go through to do it?)
I really like the car and don't really want to lose it over 12 golf ball dents on the roof...

Care TeamNRMA Insurance

Hi Tim G, great questions and I hope you are ok after that dreadful Hail Event! This would be a question for our dedicated Claims Specialists. If you would like to chat to someone - our webchat claims team are available at https://www.nrma.com.au/claims/car-insurance - just click on 'chat now'. Goodluck with everything ~Renae

Get an answer from our members and NRMA Insurance representatives