Sikkens Cetol Deck

Sikkens Cetol Deck Questions & Answers

21 questions from our users

I used cetol HLS then put on cetol deck but by mistake instead of the second coat of cetol deck I mistakenly used cetol HLS can you recommend what to do now

I have 2 cedar chaise lounges, coated with Sikkens 13 years ago and badly needing a recoat. My local PPG folks sold me Cetol and said that all I needed to go was sand tho old finish. I sanded and gave it a good heavy spray and the applied the Cetol. It has a varnish-like sheen and I think it won't go away after drying. Will it still protect the furniture? Will it look ok? Should I give it a second coat? Ronald
Better to use a marine varnish. Sikkens products are hit and miss

What colour stain should I use on northern box hardwood decking

What preparation do you need to do to deck before reapplying sikkens Halsey to deck.

We have a 10 x 10 m sq peaked outside area we lined it with blond Australian marine ply and prepared it accordingly moderate humidity and temperature the colour is beautiful , we now have great slabs of what appears to be mold stains growing under the Sikkens it's also happening on our western cedar garage doors we live in Brisbane so it's not that is more humid , what can we do it is so very disappointing a lovely area wrecked

Can I use a different product after having used Sikkens Cetol HLSe and Cetol Deck as finish? The area exposed to sun has badly faded after only a few months. Quite disappointing because the product is very expensive.

I’ve accidentally applied Sikkens Filter 7 Plus first over sanded timber posts, I meant to apply the Cetol HLSE first but am very happy with colour. Do I need to sand it off and apply the HLSE or is it safe to coat over the Filter 7 Plus, or just give the Filter 7 three more coats?
Hey Tony, once the product is down mate id say leave if your not confident in stripping back the post back to bare, its a huge job even for an experienced painter like myslef. Once the timber has weathered id say 12 to 24 months you could probably sand it back them as it will be easier to take off previous coats. Then you can apply the HLS then filter7. Good luck mate Rob

Can I use any other deck oil after I have used Sikkens cetel? A sikkens distributor said no but maybe just a sales pitch
I'm definitely thinking sales pitch.We found the Sikkens provided a paint or varnish like coverage, which effectively sealed the surface. This makes later touch ups or reapplying to faded areas difficult. Oil based preparations that soak into the timber allow for later reapplication, whereas the Sikkens seals the timber. Can't recommend the product.

I’ve put a first coat of Sikken Cetol hlse on a previously treated deck. 24 hours on the deck is still tacky. Should I wait for it to dry or can I recoat while tacky please?
Definitely wait until dry. Don't know what was on there before.Hi, I don't pretend to be an expert on Sikkens product however I have used the product extensively. The Application data sheet for the Sikken's Cetol state's that you should wait a minimum of 24 hours between coats at 20 degrees Celsius. I have always applied the second coat after 24 hours with no problems however I was always doing the coats in spring or Summer, the cooler months might cause the oil not to harden as quickly. Maybe leave for another 24 hours. I have always left the final coat for a week before walking on the deck to give it time to set and harden correctly. (no matter what product I was using). I hope this is of help to you, Cheers,

How can I remove Sikkens Cetol filter wood stain from my leather upholstery?

When applying my 2nd coat of hlse cetol is is very cloudy it has had 30 hrs drying time a warm dry weather????? Do I keep going???
Yes, keep going. The colour will change in due course, it's normal to be cloudy initially.I have only used Cetol Deck (NOT HLSE) on my deck as it is not stained. When I did use the HLSE on my stained door it took over a day to clear. Was the first coat as cloudy/milky? Humidity is the enemy of this product.

wanting to remove sikkins cobal oil based deckinoil witch products work the best to entirely remove the decking oil an recorrect the redwoods ph
Hi, I am just finishing the removal of Sikkens oil on my merbau deck, these are the steps I used. 1. Clean with a Karcher water cleaner 2. Use Intergrain PowerPrep (little expensive $76 but did what it claimed it would) this brought all the oil to the surface. 3. Clean the PowerPrep with a Karcher water cleaner again, to remove the oil on top 4. Use intergrain reviva as the final step to prepare the timber for the new treatment. These steps got rid of 95% of the previous Sikkens product and took a day to completer. (mine was a big deck) I am now waiting on the weather to improve to use the new treatment. It is subjective as to what treatment you like however I have just done my Pergola merbau floor (5mx3m) with 1. Intergrain UltraPrimer 2. Itergrain DWD This was there recommended Trishield Application Process which I followed. The results where fantastic with a great natural finish. I have talked to other professional floor finishers and they also recommend the intergrain Ultradeck. Could not be more happier with the final outcome. I hope my large deck will look as good as my Pergola. Hope this is of help. Thank You, Peter B

I dont want to change the colour of my deck. It is a new merbau deck. Can i just put cetol deck on or do I have to use cetol hlse first. I just want natural colour. Also I originally was going to use ultra integrain but have decided to use sikkens but I have used the integrain tannin and cleaner products...will this make a difference?
Just thoroughly wash and dry the timber first. Use a lambs wool applicator to apply the cetol deck and you will love the result.Thanks Albervin..I appreciate your time..cheers JulsYou can apply Cetol Deck without using HLSE first. Cetol does cover up the wood's natural colour and is only semi transparent.

I want to recoat deck can i use Cetol BL tannin and oil remover to clean deck before recoating?
It depends on what you have coated the wood with previously. If the wood has very little varnish or other sealant then it will work. Otherwise you will have to do some sanding first.

can I use sickens cetol on a cutting board in kitchen?
Hi Mick. I don't think Sikkens is certified food safe. Besides, I think it would scratch and mark too easily. The best product I have used for cutting boards is "Gilly Stephenson's Australian Orange Oil" It's available from Bunnings I think. It's easy to apply and helps stop cut marks. Great stuff.

My Merbau deck is approx. 25m2 and is in a totally exposed position. Construction was completed Dec 2014. All boards were thoroughly washed and coated on the underside with a water based decking finish prior to laying. All prep instructions were followed to the letter and initially I was very pleased with the result. We are now 10 months down the track and with a very different view. The deck is almost totally devoid of finish and now requires re-coating. I am not at all keen to stay with the original product and am contemplating a change to an oil based product. Could you please advise the recommended preparation for a previously finished deck and also which product would best suit my application.
I haven't used oil based products other than on my outdoor furniture. I wonder if you let your deck sit and age for a while before you applied the products. This is important so the natural oils in the wood come out before application. If you don't do that they will mean the paint will not stick so well. I imagine going to an oil base now will be a hell of a lot of work. You'll need to strip the whole thing back totally removing all trace of paint. When I recoat after wear as I am currently doing now I wait for good weather. Sand in areas that have worn off to lift and residual paint and colour match the stain as best as I am able. Then I coat two top layers over. Sections that are still in good condition I will just put one top coat. It's not a perfectly uniform look but wood never is. People always compliment me on my amazing deck. Pity I can't post pics on this forumMerabau bleeds a fair bit of tannin for a while, and I agree, that's probably what has ruined your finish. You'll need to strip it off and start again. Hire a belt sander and go over it with 80 grit until the wood is clean again. (Punch down any nail heads first.) Then apply three coats of Sikkens Deck allowing 24 hours to dry between coats. If the deck is totally exposed, you'll need to recoat with Sikkens Deck every year.

Just had a new kwilla deck done and told to make sure I season the timber before treating with Sikkens. Some say hose it a few times a day for a couple of weeks, some say leave it weather for a couple of months and have read not to season it at all just treat it. Any advice I would be thankful. please?
Leave kwilla a few months for the tannins to leach out or the paint will not bond properly. Just give it a hose off every couple of weeks.I have done plenty of merbau decks and I just treat them with the sikkens stain remover which is like a clear paste product that really brings back the colour.then apply one coat of the cetol deck followed by 2 coats of the cetol filter 7 plus.If it is out in full sun then it will need to be maintained regardless of the product.If under cover then do 1 coat 12 months later then you will probably only coat if every 2 to 4years depending on the traffic obviously but the product finish is fantastic.

Just wondered if you can apply HLSe without applying the Cetol Deck for a few days? In other words, we are expecting dry weather for the next 24-48 hours but wondering if it is ok to leave the HLSe on witout apply cetol deck if rain prevails.
I did this..... The HLSe is the stain right? (Trying to remember) It has protective qualities in itself. I put this on and had a gap before applying the cetol. I wouldn't stress about banging it all out at once in the slightest. In fact in one section which is a slightly protected area on the side of the house I never ended up putting the cetol 3 years ago and it still looks great. if it's a really exposed area don't leave it for weeks on end but certainly don't stress, wait for a dry day.Hi there. The answer to you question is YES.

I have a brand new deck done in Spotted Gum that's about to be laid. I'm looking for advice on the best treatment from the Sikkens range. I live in Cairns, Far North QLD so high humidity, UV, rain are all considerations even though the deck is 95% under roof.. A friend also advised me to treat the underside of the Spotted gum before the builders lay it? Any thoughts and advice on all of the above would be appreciated. Cheers Danny
Hi Danny Ensure that the wood is seasoned (i.e. leaching has ceased) before coating initially with HLS and then couple of coats of Cetol Deck. If you coat the underside with at least HLS will stop any tendency for warping and further protect deck. Initially re-coat with Cetol Deck every 6 months - if you use the Sikkens decking broom it only takes a few minutes but can't walk on it for 24 hours and needs to be dry. Hope this helps.

Have applied three coats over undercoat. How long before the decking can be walked on?
Depends on temperature and humidity and how thickly you put it on. Usually ok to walk on after 24-48 hours but if you applied too thickly may take a couple more days to stop being tacky under foot.

Get an answer from our members and Sikkens representatives