Skipper Questions & Answers

Verifiedskipper.org🏆 2024 Award
YUL
YUL

Hi. I bought your toilet blocks the other day. I noticed that they are very blue and even leave blue streaks in the toilet bowl for a few days. After that the colour turns into light blue, and then clear after a week or so.

There are only 2 people in the house and there are 2 toilets. The blocks from supermarket last a lot longer.

Is this normal with your product? If so I will probably go back to supermarket ones. I love the tin though.

Michelle S.
Michelle S.

The same happened for me. I placed in the toilet on the Monday. A couple of deepish blue flushes. Then a couple of lighter blue flushes. By Thursday (3 days later) the water was literally clear again. 1 person household with a visitor a few nights a week. They were a complete waste of money for me. I can only imagine how long they'd last in a family environment.... ?overnight. Wouldn't recommend and won't be buying again.

Debbie H
Debbie H

Are laundry sheets made in Australia

Skipper   DM

Great question! Our laundry sheets are currently made in China. While we have tried to source a local manufacturer in Australia, we simply can't find a supplier with the appropriate infrastructure. We also tried to find manufacturers in the United States, as this is a growing market for us, also to no avail.

The sheets are made using a process similar to that used to make paper: a paste is made, then spread evenly and dried before being cut into sheets. Our supplier captures and reuses evaporated water from this process and uses mixed energy, primarily renewable hydroelectricity, to power the process.

The advantage of our sheets compared to supermarket varieties is they are significantly lighter and more compact per serve. This is because they don’t contain water or fillers, which reduces the carbon from transporting goods. Our sheets are also grey water and septic safe, so no nasty are leaving your place either.

Colleen M.
Colleen M.

I don't have a dishwasher so I know I can opt out of ordering the dishwasher tablets , but can you please tell me what product washes dishes?

Marama
Marama

Interested to know why you say you use no nasties and yet in the laundry sheets you use sodium dodicyl sulfate (sodium laurel sulfate)

What are the hazards of sodium dodecyl sulfate solution?
OSHA Hazards

Acute toxicity, serious eye damage, flammable solids, harmful if swallowed or if inhaled, causes skin irritation, causes serious eye damage, may cause respiratory irritation.
I bought believing your products didn't contain any of this stuff. I should have investigated properly.
Why do you use this?
Thanks Marama

Skipper   DM

As a result, there is now a negative public perception of many ingredients like sulfates despite most of them being great ingredients. As a result, other brands are removing sulfates rather than trying to educate the public about the benefits of some sulfates. The same could be said for the nuances of using palm oil (very high yield per hectare and performance) versus other oils.

In general, an ingredient like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a safe, effective and affordable surfactant. It can cause minor irritation in high concentrations but we use relatively small amounts and mix it with other ingredients to negate this. We will continue to use SLS is our formulas.

An ingredient we will NOT use is SLES. By itself, SLES is not problematic but it can be contaminated with a substance called 1,4-dioxane, which is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals. This contamination occurs during the manufacturing process.

Despite the public controversy that exists around SLS, our team and others in the scientific community believe it is well-researched and safe for use. Our ingredients list can be found in the link below, and a well referenced & documented study around SLS which describes the controversy found on the following link. Of course, everyone is entitled their opinion on this, I am only sharing our point of view and as advised from our team.

external link

external link

Let me know if you have any further queries

Cheated customer
Cheated customer

Please send me link to read the 46 4 star reviews. It’s important to know what and why before I purchase. What guarantees are in place for consumers if the product does not meet expectations? I could not find. Thank you

Skipper   DM

Here is a link to our 4 Star reviews - https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/tirtyl?rating=4

We have a 30-day money-back guarantee on all orders. If you're not happy, we're not happy either. If you don't love our product, you'll get a full refund. Read more> external link

Toni
Toni

Are you thinking of making a dish detergent any time soon? Not everything goes in the dishwasher and I would like to use something good!

Barry A.
Barry A.

Can laundry sheets be used with cold water?

Vickie Russell
Vickie Russell

We are loving the products but have a question about the dishes. Do you have a dishwashing product for the sink, we use the dishwasher tablets but my dish washing liquid is about to run out and I don't want to buy another plastic bottle if I don't need to?

Skipper   DM

Thanks so much for your interest in our products :) We've got some very exciting new products in the product pipeline - some of which will be the first in the world!

We're currently in the testing phase but will have more updates to come in the near future with the launch of these hopefully around Spring 2023. These new products are likely to include a Dish Wash.

We are super excited to release these new Just-Add-Water products, not long to go :)

Chris
Chris

Hi I’m considering buying your products , however in the past I was about to buy a similar product but in the fine print they suggested that their dishwasher tablets were not suitable for fisher and paykel 2 drawer dishwashers . Is this the case with your products I can’t find anything on this .

Skipper   DM

Our tabs are safe to use in the Drawer Dish washers as well :)

Michelle K.
Michelle K.

I received my order and have set up one of the hand pumps and it worked fir a couple of days and now will not pump the hand soap out. Can I get a replacement hand pump bottle? Or is there a trick to fix it?

Skipper   DM

Hi Michelle, As with all pumps, they can sometimes require a little maintenance They're always under the pump!

We’ve got some tips to make sure your pumps are per-foam-ing:

Tip #1:⁠
DON'T COMPLETELY SUBMERGE THE PUMP: Take care to never fill water too high such that it completely submerges the pump air chamber. Our recent batch of bottles have a fill line, but if yours doesn't, keep this in mind (approx 1cm from top of dispenser). Water in the air chamber impacts the foam and worse yet, the "foam-ance". This leads us to..⁠.

Tip #2:⁠
DRAIN THE PUMP: Over time, the air chamber in the foam pump can start to build water inside. This impacts the quality of the foam, but luckily it's easy to fix! Simply drain the pump by taking it off and squirting it a few times upside down!

Tip #3:⁠
CREATE MAGIC WITH THE PUMP OFF: While your Tirtyl Tab is fizzing away and creating magic, keep the pump off or or unscrewed. Pressure building up in the bottle as the tablet dissolves may interfere with the pump components.⁠

Tip #4:⁠
SERVICE TIME: This video goes through how to service your pump and clean the pump filter which is the main culprit for making your pumps stick and becoming hard to pump. external link

Get a free pump replacement on our website! You can also grab them with free shipping when you order any refill item in a "refills-only" order (as you currently do for refills).

pauliep
pauliep

Where is Tirtyl made please?

GCB68
GCB68

Australia

Hayley

Hi tirtyl, I've asked a question on here before and I'm very sorry but I'm having the same problem again. I have absolutely everything from handsoap to laundry sheets and I love all the products but. Constantly having a problem with the body wash pump. I have two pump bottles and both of them are playing up for the second time. We have followed your video on hont

Skipper   DM

We are so sorry Hayley this has happened. As you may know, we have been working behind the scene make sure your pumps are per-foam-ing. Whilst we wish and thought our pumps would last forever, they haven't. Unfortunately, almost all foaming pumps in the market are designed for single-use dispensers - including ones sold from the major brands! We’re not settling for that though, so we’re tackling this problem in two phases:

Phase 1: We’ve worked hard with our manufacturers to diagnose the issue and improve our pumps! They’ll still have beautiful matte finishes and look the same, but will last up to 8x longer! These babies have just arrived. So phase 1, is complete and you can now get your Gen2 pump replacement on our website.

Phase 2: We’re planning to develop our own, custom-design, Tirtyl-y exclusive pump that will go the distance! This major project will take longer to complete, and we’ll provide more updates next year.

Deneva A.
Deneva A.

Hi Do you have any stores in the US? can you please provide me a list so I can shop nearby?

Our products can be found on Amazon and Walmart-online in the US

Hayley

Hi, I've bought your whole pack and also bought refills. I've just come away on holiday and brought the body wash with me and have noticed it's not foaming up anymore. It worked for a few days and now is just liquid. I'm gutted and I've just had to go out and buy some normal body wash. Why would it do this? I've made them up and used them many times before and never had this problem

Skipper   DM

Hi Hayley Firstly, thank you for being a loyal supporter for us :)

We're sorry to hear about your body wash and will definitely help you out here. We've had an issue recently where one of our pump batches was poorly performing, and we've worked with our suppliers to fix this. We have new pumps with an enhanced internal design arriving in January.

In the meantime, there are two things we can do to fix your problem:

1. Try taking the foaming pump off and squirting it a few times to drain the chamber. If that doesn't work or is difficult, you can take the pump off and remove the pump head specifically (this may require some force - just pull it right off). With the head removed, you'll be able to remove a little cylinder remaining on the main body. Take this off and give it a rinse with the rest of the parts. Put it back together and it should get everything working again! If this is too complicated to explain in text, please write back and we can record a video to guide you through it.

2. If the above doesn't work - we'll send you free replacement pumps. Just send us your last Order ID and we'll get that sorted for you :)

Thanks Hayley, appreciate that this experience is a disappointing one. We'll ensure we get it right for you going forward.

Many thanks,
May

Lonnie M.
Lonnie M.

Hi, just wondering why your products contain sulfates when so many product are moving away from them

Skipper   DM

Hi Lonnie, This is great question and will give you an insight into how large multinationals try to differentiate commodity products like soap and shampoo. About 5 years ago, one of the the largest personal care conglomerates commenced a campaign against some sulfates in some rinse-off personal care products, despite continuing to use them in their toothpaste. Rather than focusing on what IS in their products, they focused on what IS NOT (including things that were barely ever used in formulas like gluten or alcohol). Many have since followed due to the success of this marketing pivot.

As a result, there is now a negative public perception against many ingredients like sulfates despite most of them being great ingredients. As a result, other brands are removing sulfates rather than trying to educate the public about the benefits of some sulfates. The same could be said for the nuances of using palm oil (very high yield per hectare and performance) versus other oils.

Thanks for the great question Lonnie :)

gjudy0586
gjudy0586

Hi Is it possible for you to use all natural fragrances rather than some synthetic fragrances?

Skipper   DM

Hi, thank you for your interest in our products. This is something we're working through with our chemists. The dry/effervescent nature of our products mean that we cannot include a high % of liquids or oils and this has ramifications for what ingredients we can use.
With respect to liquid fragrances, we need to use scents that (1) have a very strong smell relative to the amount we use and (2) have low volatility, do not change colour and do not lose smell when packed inside a home compostable wrapper for 2 years. Generally speaking, synthetics perform this better than essential oils. For example, eucalyptus is quite volatile when we include them in the formulas but when blended with another few compounds, we are getting good results.
The transition to natural fragrances will take time as we have to perform shelf-life tests on every new formula but it's something we're actively working on internally.
Thanks for your support :)

Charlotte
Charlotte

Is it safe for autoimmune diseases? I am unable to find any real info on this. Thanks.

Skipper   DM

Hi Charlotte We've formulated the product with sensitive skin in mind and do not contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs). However, everyone is unique so as with all allergies and sensitivities, we recommend consulting with a professional and spot-testing before any use.

If you wanted to privately reach out via email with your specific needs we will be happy to help.

Rachael
Rachael

Hi, I'd like to know how many tablets the dish washing tablet tin holds. If I get the tin will it hold a 100 Pk of tablets or does it only hold 50?

Susan
Susan

Hey it holds 50 they are working on a bigger tin that can hold all so i got a package of 100 and half of mi e were sent in a compkstable bag

Skipper   DM

Thanks, Susan, that is correct.

Get an answer from our members and Skipper representatives

Extra Information