284Legs Natural Dog Food

4Legs Natural Dog Food Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Elizabeth C.
Elizabeth C. · Natural +Wellness Chicken Meatballs with Vegies, Fruit and Rice

Can you freeze this product if l put them in measured lots l have the Chicken and salmon meatballs

4Legs   DM

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your question. Yes, 4Legs freezes very well and you're spot on with putting them in measured lots.
After opening 4Legs keep what you will use within 3 days in the fridge, freezing the remainder in portion sizes. After freezing, defrost in the fridge and use within 3 days.
Further to this, after freezing 4Legs, you can defrost in the microwave using the defrost setting. You can also allow the next day's meal to defrost in your fridge by moving it from the freezer to the fridge the night before. Whilst frozen foods remain safe indefinitely as long as the temperature of the freezer is set at -18°C or lower, we would recommend 3-4 months as the optimum freezing time for the best quality of the 4legs products in a household freezer. This information can also be found on our website: external link  "Can I freeze 4Legs"
Thanks Elizabeth, hope this helps and please let me know if we can further assist. Best regards Christine and the 4Legs family.

vickiswanson
vickiswanson · Natural + Wellness Gourmet with Angus Beef, Sweet Potato and Green Beans

What are your thoughts on cooking it ? My Maltese dogs just love crunchy textures so sometimes I dice up small and air fry on high to get it dry and crunchy - they love it like this too

Debbie
Debbie

I don’t think I’m the person to ask this question as we’ve always had the roll which has just been discontinued. We are only on our first pack of meatballs and purchased chicken to stay as close as possible to the same as the roll. Try emailing Christine from 4 Legs as I found her service and suggestions exceptional!

Kim
Kim

My dog loves them straight from the pack,not sure how they would go cooked,maybe try and see how they go?

4Legs   DM

Hi Vicki, Thanks for your question and we’re so glad to hear your maltese terriers are loving their 4Legs!
Many customers like yourself find the meatballs very versatile and if your dogs like a crunchy texture for a bit of a change, cooking sounds like a great way to achieve this.
Having said that, 4Legs is already cooked and is intended to be fed straight from the packet. If you are unsure, we always recommend advice from a health professional, such as your vet and they will be able to help you decide what’s best for your dog.
Thanks again for reaching out Vicki, we love hearing from our happy customers and all the best to you all. Best regards Christine and the 4Legs family.

Victoria S.
Victoria S. · Natural Dog Food

Hello can cats eat this also?

4Legs   DM

Hi Victoria, thanks for your question. No, not for cats, only for dogs. 4Legs is not nutritionally balanced for cats and this includes among other dietary requirements, the levels of "taurine" that cats need. However, if they steal the odd meatball that is ok but would not be appropriate for daily nutrition.
Thanks again for getting in touch Victoria and all the best with your cat, Christine 4Legs Customer Service.

Great service scoopon
Great service scoopon · Natural Dog Food

I have small dog, so is it possible to freeze half of the packet??
As wouldn’t eat all prior to use by as has Advance biscuits too.
Thankyou.

4Legs   DM

Hi, thanks for your question. Yes, 4Legs freezes very well. We recommend to freeze in portion sizes and then defrost in the fridge. If you need more information on freezing, I have included a link to our FAQ: external link  "Can I freeze 4Legs"
FYI 4Legs is a complete and balanced meal for your dog, so can be used on its own or half/half with kibble. Or whichever ratio you prefer.
I hope this helps and please let me know if I can further assist. Best regards Christine 4Legs Customer Service.

Janelle C.
Janelle C. · Natural Dog Food

What is the shelf life of an unopened refrigerated roll?

4Legs   DM

Hi Janelle, thanks for your question. All 4Legs products, including the roll need to be kept below 4 degrees and have an individual use by date on the packet.
Further to this, once opened please use within 3 days or freeze in portion sizes.
Thanks Janelle, I hope this helps and if you need anything further, please reach out. We can also be contacted at helpdesk@4legs.com.au

Fay O.
Fay O. · Natural Dog Food

Can I freeze this food. I have a new recue puppy, hes 8 months old so we are working out what he likes...he liked the chicken & sweet potato one that hi purchased today but who knows what he'll like tomorrow...hence my question in regards to freezing the product..

Fay

4Legs   DM

Hi Fay, thanks for your question. Yes, 4Legs freezes very well. We recommend to freeze 4Legs in portion sizes and then defrost in the fridge. I have included a link to our FAQ "Can I freeze 4Legs" here if you need: external link
Thanks Fay, please let me know if you need anything further and all the best with your new rescue pup. Best regards Christine 4Legs Customer Service. PS we can also be contacted at helpdesk@4legs.com.au

Lucie B · Natural +Wellness Chicken Meatballs with Vegies, Fruit and Rice

To extend opened product shelf life, can part of it be frozen for 5kg small breed dog who will have part-kibble part-4legs daily consumption? 870 g bag should be consumed over 5 days. You recommend product to be consumed three days from being opened. What do you suggest? Or do you have the product in smaller quantity?

Rachael
Rachael

You can definitely freeze this product.
Generally meat and veg can be frozen from one month and more depending on the type of meat, Veg , rice, pasta - do a quick Google search of each ingredient to see how long each item can be frozen for to compare to the product your using to get a rough idea.
Often inside the freezer door with have a guide of products and the duration it can be frozen for.
I freeze the Chicken, Veg and rice up to one week at time it still smells perfectly fine and my dog who is fussy still eats it’s and it’s never made him sick.
So simple answer yes it can be frozen in my opinion.
You should find most fresh dog food products that cant be frozen will have “Do not freeze” on the packaging.
I hope this helps.

Lucie B

Excellent. Thanks for comprehensive answer.

4Legs   DM

Hi Lucie, thanks for your question. We can confirm that yes, 4Legs freezes very well.
After opening 4Legs keep what you will use within 3 days in the fridge, freezing the remainder in portion sizes. After freezing, defrost in the fridge and use within 2 days.
Further to this, after freezing 4Legs, you can defrost in the microwave using the defrost setting. You can also allow the next day's meal to defrost in your fridge by moving it from the freezer to the fridge the night before. Whilst frozen foods remain safe indefinitely as long as the temperature of the freezer is set at -18°C or lower, we would recommend 3-4 months as the optimum freezing time for the best quality of the 4legs products in a household freezer. This information can also be found on our FAQ "Can I freeze 4Legs" external link
Otherwise, if you wanted something smaller, we have our 300g range available at Coles. These come in 2 varieties: external link  and external link
Thanks Lucie, hope this helps and do please let us know if you need further information. We can be contacted at helpdesk@4legs.com.au

Bek G · Natural Dog Food

AAFCO recommends crude protein be between 18-22% for dog food but I noticed 4Legs is 10%, about half the recommended amount. Does this mean that additional protein should be provided if relying on 4Legs as main meals (meaning it can't actually be a nutritionally balanced and complete meal in its own right, as stated on the 4Legs label...)?

Amanda Jane Muhlack
Amanda Jane Muhlack

I use AUST MADE “LIFEWISE “ kibble as my dogs main meals but always have 4 legs in my fridge / freezer as a good training treat or added with the evening kibble with hot water . Jet loves it !

Bek G

Ooh that's a good idea, thank you. The problem I'm having is my sheltie has decided he doesn't like kibble, but he does love 4Legs. Think I'll use it as a topper with hot water like you say

4Legs   DM

Hi Bek, thanks for your question. Please be assured that all 4Legs products meet AAFCO requirements as a complete and balanced meal for adult dogs. This includes the protein level. Where it may be confusing is whether the recommended amount is calculated on a “dry matter” basis or “as is” or “as fed” basis.
Dry Matter is the value for a nutrient assuming all moisture is removed. As Fed would be the value for a nutrient without removing the moisture.
4Legs macros, including protein are indicated on the pack on a “as is” basis.
If you needed further information regarding 4Legs ingredients or nutritional requirements, please feel free to drop us a line at helpdesk@4legs.com.au as we would be very happy to help. Otherwise, your vet is a good source of information.
Whether you use 4Legs as a meal on its own or as a topper or for training, you know that it’s a high value food that’s complete and balanced. Thanks again Bek and please let me know if we can further assist. Best regards Christine 4Legs Customer Service.

Jan Aylesbury
Jan Aylesbury · Natural + Wellness Gourmet with Angus Beef, Sweet Potato and Green Beans

Why can't I buy this in all major supermarkets? Only one my 18+ year old dog likes

4Legs   DM

Hi Jan, thanks again for your question. We have replied via helpdesk. Best regards Christine 4Legs Customer Service.

Tim H.
Tim H. · Natural Dog Food

They say not to feed them to much rice yet I see here in ingredients

4Legs   DM

Hi Tim, thanks for your question. Please be assured that our range provides a complete and balanced meal that meets the AAFCO Nutrient Profile for Adult Dog Maintenance and our products are made with meat as the number #1 ingredient.
4Legs has been designed for normal dogs with typical dietary requirements. We are unable to comment on individual dogs and the best source of information regarding the suitability of 4Legs for your dog is your vet. We strongly suggest you see them if you have any concerns. If you or your vet need further nutritional information, please let us know as we would be very happy to assist. We can be contacted at helpdesk@4legs.com.au or Freecall 1800 655 687. Further information can also be found on our website external link
Thanks Tim, hope this helps.
Best regards Christine 4Legs Customer Service

Tash C
Tash C · Natural Dog Food

Can the meatballs be warmed up in the microwave in winter?

4Legs   DM

Hi Tash C, thanks for your question. Yes, 4Legs meatballs can be warmed up. Warm = tasty. Warm food smells better. Heating your dog’s food very slightly will make it smell tastier and more appealing. Just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Thanks Tash C.
All the best, Christine and the 4Legs Family

PS. Did you know we have a regular newsletter with latest news, info, new products and specials. If you haven’t already you can subscribe at the bottom of our home page external link

wens
wens · Natural Dog Food

I would like to know why you include garlic in the food as most state poisoning can occur to dogs

4Legs   DM

Hi Wens, thanks for your question. There is a lot of conflicting information about garlic and that it can be harmful to dogs. Garlic is an ingredient we include in some of our products because it is both tasty and (in small doses) has a variety of health benefits.

We want to assure our customers that the amount of garlic used in our products is minimal and that in the 20 years our food has been available we have never had a case of dog becoming seriously ill due to the garlic in our food.

Of course it is up to the individual to decide if any ingredient is right for their dog but I thought it may be helpful to include a link to our FAQ to let you know why we include a small amount of garlic in our food. external link

Thanks Wens, we appreciate your comments and if you have any queries please let us know as we would be very happy to help. We can be contacted at helpdesk@4legs.com.au

Eric S.
Eric S.

I am a big fan of Garlic for my Dogs. It definitely has health benefits. Search on Google. Everything in moderation.

Thanks for your feedback Eric. Best regards Christine 4Legs Customer Service

Hannah · Natural Dog Food

If unused and opened after 5 days, does the food become contaminated? Meatballs with beef fruit vegies macaroni ?

Peter S.
Peter S.

Contaminated ? Not sure what you mean. If you mean goes off I wouldnt know. I use mine up in 4 days and still looks good to me and the dogs.

Hannah

Tis OK, I've made decision to discard contents to be on safe side. Opened for too long, not used for my little dog, small eater. But next time we'll place handfuls into small bags n freeze. Thanks.

4Legs   DM

Hi Hannah, Thanks for your question.

You are definitely on the right track with your home storage. As 4Legs is 100% preservative free it needs to be kept chilled and used within 3 days after opening. Any 4Legs that can’t be used within 3 days, can be frozen in portion sizes and then defrosted in the fridge or microwave.

If you’d like more information on storing 4Legs at home, I have included a link here: external link

Thanks Hannah, hope this helps and please do let us know if you have any further queries as we’d be more than happy to assist. Contact details can be found on our website external link  or contact us at helpdesk@4legs.com.au

Char B.
Char B. · Natural Dog Food

I started feeding the roll for my one year and two old month dog (she's desexed and is a staffy x Chihuahua)

I was just wondering if it's okay to be fed as a main meal or is this some sort of topper? I give it to her for breakfast and dinner.

GiLLY
GiLLY

We float a half coffee cup full on top of there half cup of kibble (dry Meaty bites that are a complete diet for small dogs). Pugs are easily over fed during summer we find they do better on dry food and it encourages then to drink heaps of water.
PUGS needs the water on-tap during summer. Esp warm days >30C our here.
And quite humid of late. Enjoy your 'babies'

4Legs   DM

Hi Char B, thanks for getting in touch. Our Gourmet Recipe Chicken, Cheese & Parsley 300g external link  has been designed as a complete and balanced meal and can be used alone for small to medium breed puppies and all sized adult dogs. The roll external link  is complete and balanced for all sized puppies and adult dogs, so again can be used alone. Or if you'd prefer, both of these products can be used with other approved puppy foods.
Additionally, we have a basic feeding guide on the pack and also on our website external link
It is also possible to use other 4Legs varieties for puppies, to find out more about feeding your puppy 4Legs or if you have any other queries, please contact us at helpdesk@4legs.com.au
Thanks and best regards
Christine 4Legs Customer Service

Glen G.
Glen G. · Natural Dog Food

What's what's the barcode for this product

4Legs   DM

Hi Glen, thanks for your question. The barcode is located on the top of the packet. I hope this answers your question, however if you need more information on our products, please drop us a line at helpdesk@4legs.com.au
Best regards
Christine,
4Legs Customer Service

Jackie
Jackie · Natural Dog Food

Hi - are any/all of the 4legs flavours suitable for puppies? We have a 10 week old Jack Russell.

Cherry
Cherry

Hello Jackie,
I have a 9 week old husky puppy I feed him chicken and rice as beef is a bit hard to digest. And the quantity depends on your puppy’s weight usually it’s 200 to 350 gms . He loves it, I have started giving him salmon pumpkin as well.

4Legs   DM

Hi Jackie, thanks for getting in touch. Our Gourmet Recipe Chicken, Cheese & Parsley 300g external link  has been designed as a complete and balanced meal for small to medium breed puppies. We have a basic feeding guide on the pack and also on our website external link  It is also possible to use other 4Legs varieties for puppies, to find out more please contact us at helpdesk@4legs.com.au
Thanks again and best regards
Christine
4Legs Customer Service

Rhonda
Rhonda · Natural +Wellness Chicken Meatballs with Vegies, Fruit and Rice

How many chicken meat balls should I feed my 11/2 year old desexed female Hungarian Vizsla

4Legs   DM

Hi Rhonda, thanks for getting in touch. As our meatballs vary in size, the best way to determine how much 4Legs to feed your dog is by weight. We have a handy, easy to use feeding guide based on the weight of the meatballs and the weight of your dog. This can be found on the packet and on our website and I have included a link to our webpage here external link

Thanks Rhonda, hope this helps and if you need further information on how much 4Legs to feed your dog please contact our Customer Service Team via helpdesk@4legs.com.au as we would be very happy to assist.

Bill
Bill · Natural +Wellness Chicken Meatballs with Vegies, Fruit and Rice

For some time, my 12 year old Mini-Schnauzer has been on Royal Canin tinned vet gastrointestinal low fat because of the tendency of the breed to get pancreatitis which she has had. She is sick of this food and I tried her out on your chicken meat balls which went down very well. However, could you tell me what the total fat content is? Your label quotes a crude fat content of 8% but I am not sue what that means. The Royal Canin gastrointestinal food quotes 7% which I assume is total.

4Legs   DM

Hi Bill, Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, there are no 4Legs products that have been formulated to be suitable for dogs with a disease like pancreatitis.
Dogs with this condition require a diet that is low in fat, less than 10% on a “dry matter” basis* – this level of fat is lower than the recommended amount for a normal, healthy dog.

4Legs Natural varieties minimum crude fat levels (calculated on dry matter basis) are 22-25%.

*(Dry matter basis refers to content by weight once water has been removed from the food)

I have also spoken to our resident vet and dietary consultant, Dr Felicity Banks about your dog and she has confirmed that you are correct in that Miniature Schnauzers are prone to pancreatitis due to the possibility of a couple of different inherited genetic mutations. Felicity always recommends a low fat diet for all Miniature Schnauzers even if they have never had pancreatitis. She said that risk does increase with age, so diet vigilance is important for this older dog.
We understand that it can be difficult to prepare meals for dogs with this illness and we suggest you continue to work with your vet to find a diet solution that is appropriate for your pet.

Thanks Bill, hope this helps and we wish you all the best for your dog's on-going health.

Best regards
Christine 4Legs Customer Service

Kim Hansen
Kim Hansen

Strange my Tenterfield Terrior had the same diagnosis and use to scream and run off in agony after trying to eat other prescribed and expensive vet approved foods, if at all he ate them and mainly he turned his nose up at every different type of food offered to him but refused to eat. He would occasionally have a nibble at grain free, Taste of the wild pacific stream smoked salmon dry dog food and fresh cooked chicken but by accident when doing our grocery shopping I read the label on 4legs it looked appealing as a wet food and it seemed like it had good things in it and grain free so I purchased a pack. Wow what a difference he actually loved it and NO SIDE affects at all and no more screaming in pain just a happy little chappy must be the formula that they use at 4legs ? to us it seems to have stopped all the pain he suffered over the last 3 to 4 years and now he just has the 4legs chicken or the beef meatballs and his dry, Taste of the wild food as a kibble on the side,which he rarely eats anyway but we are happy our boy is happy and pain free and we will definitely not try anything else while 4 legs is available, Maybe worth a try it worked for us. Good luck.

Thanks for your comments Kim. Best regards Christine and the 4Legs family

Please note *We encourage veterinary advice if there are any concerns.

Rhonda
Rhonda · Natural Dog Food

I gave the roll to my staffies for breakfast. The 4 year old is passing very smelly wind. The almost 8 year old is currently in emergency hospital with bloody vomiting and diarrhoea. He is very sick, on fluids and steroids. We don’t know the exact cause of course but it is a very big coincidence as he was well prior to eating the roll. Have there been any other issues of this type?

4Legs   DM

Hi Rhonda, We are so sorry to hear your dog has been sick. We take these issues very seriously and would be very concerned about a report like this. We have not received any information from you regarding your dog's case, or from PetFast in relation to any of our products causing illness. When veterinarians feel pet food has caused illness, they usually lodge a report with PetFast. This is a national system that exists to track health problems in dogs and cats that are suspected of being associated with pet food, treats and pet meat. Please contact our Helpdesk for further assistance or contact your vet and confirm they have lodged a report with PetFast so an investigation can commence.

Best regards Christine Customer Service

Rob O.
Rob O. · Natural +Wellness Chicken with Salmon, Vegies, Fruit and Brown Rice Roll

Hi, just purchased 2 rolls and the outer layer of the rolls have a green type colour yes the meat is normal colour of meat rolls, what is the greenish coloring ?

4Legs   DM

Hi Rob, thanks for getting in touch. Sometimes customers notice a grey/green discolouration on our rolls. We want to ensure you that this discolouration is not in any way dangerous or harmful to your pets. It is the result of our cooking process and the vitamin and mineral premix we add to our food to ensure it is complete and balanced.
You can find out more about this here https://helpdesk.4legs.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/360039804292-The-outside-of-my-roll-has-a-green-grey-tinge-Is-this-normal-
Cheers
Melissa & the 4Legs Family

Get an answer from our members and 4Legs representatives

Select a listing for your question
4Legs Natural Dog Food

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

4Legs Natural Dog Food is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2022 and 2021. Learn more

Visit Official Website