3Breville Bambino Plus BES500

Breville Bambino Plus BES500 Questions & Answers

Ed B
Ed B · Bambino Plus BES500

Our steamer function seems to be dying; bought our machine only 4-5 months ago. We have done the cleaning and descaling procedures and a reset to factory settings.
It started off with temp and froth lights flashing, supposedly indicating that the steamer was clogged, which it was not. Over the next few days the steamer switches off increasingly faster, almost as if the thermosensor erroneously indicates the milk has been properly heated, or there is backpressure is building up to switch the system off.

Krys
Krys · Bambino Plus BES500BSS (Stainless Steel)

After owning a breville dual boiler for several years we decided to try a small machine. Purchased the bambino plus in early April and by early May the steam wand failed due to no power. Tried everything suggested then received a replacement. Less than one month later after being really pleased with our morning coffees, same thing happened. Coffee poured ok but when I went to froth the milk - dead. No power. No light for the steam wand and no lights for temperature or froth. I went through the cleaning process and reset the machine with no joy. All I have is the one and two cup lights flashing. I have contacted breville and been told that this very unusual. Is it worth getting another replacement? Am I doing something wrong? I only make two or three cups of coffee each day. Any advice?

Jeff C - Australia

In my experience having the one and two cup lights flashing means you MUST to do a complete cleaning cycle BEFORE the machine will allow you to do anything else.
Other than the annoyance of being FORCED to perform these cleans when the Breville Overlord demands, my machine has performed flawlessly.

1. Insert the cleaning disc into the filter basket in the porta filter
2. Place 1 cleaning tablet into the indent on the cleaning disc
3. Lock the porta filter into the group head
4. Empty the drip tray and place it back on the machine.
5. Put a 2 litre container on the drip tray under the porta filter and steam wand
6. Fill water tank to the MAX line.
7. To enter cleaning cycle mode, press both the 1 CUP and 2 CUP buttons for 5 seconds.
These two buttons will stay lit.
8. Press either 1 CUP or 2 CUP button to begin cleaning.
The lights will alternate flashing while it is in progress
9. When the cycle is over, the Breville Bambino will return to ready mode
10. Remove and rinse the porta filter, cleaning disc, drip tray and container

Krys

Thanks for that Jeff. Have done all of the above a couple of times over. Read various comments and suggestions online. Reset. Turned off overnight and had another attempt to no avail.

Krys · Bambino Plus BES500

Just purchased the bambino plus. Apparently when turned on at power point, the one cup light should come on. Despite trying it over a couple of days this isn’t happening. If I manually press it it seems to work ok.

Jeff C - Australia

The instructions are wrong. Mine works the same way as yours.
Instruction manual is not written very well. (you will find out when the machine refuses to run and you are confronted with flashing lights)
BTW I tested mine and it draws standby power if turned on at wall and machine is off (no lights).
So it is best to turn off machine by pressing one cup & steam button then wait 5 seconds before turning off at wall. This is because you can hear the machine doing something just after pressing those two buttons. Do not know what it is doing but figure it is best to let it do its thing.

Krys

Thanks for your help Jeff. I hope I’m not going to regret buying this machine after years of problems with my dual boiler.

Heather
Heather · Bambino Plus BES500

Have just purchased and setup and now trying to get it to work! Have followed instructions, pressed one cup button once for machine to enter first use cycle, but then nothing happens at all. One cup light has been illuminated now for more than 30 minutes. Machine has not done anything and is not ready to use. Have turned off and back on, have double checked water tank correctly in place.
What am I doing wrong?

Book/will.Show.Contact.Phone...........Call.The.Experts.Who.Made.It

Punch
Punch · Bambino Plus BES500

All lights on the machine come on and flash after I turn it on at the wall and are non responsive when I press any of the 3 buttons. I have tried many options eg pressing 1 or 2 cup button, holding buttons for 5secs, pushing simultaneously but the machine is non responsive and all lights remain on and flashing together until I turn it off at the wall. It is impossible for me to set back to factory settings or do any function other than power it off at the wall. The machine has been cleaned and descaled as per instructions and when needed.

email.or.ring.breville

Evette · Bambino Plus BES500

When I turn on my breville bambino plus only the 1 cup & 2 cup light up & stay on. When I press either of those lights the machine starts to flash across to the milk temp & foam settings

BanjoPaterson

This is one of the two maintenance programs - I believe the cleaning cycle and instructions can be found on Breville's own YouTube video here

Evette

Thank you, I tried to clean it as instructed, the lights alternatively flashed, nothing happened after an hour of continuous flashing I turned it of. I've also descaled twice. Cleaned the wand, factory reset. Been on the Internet, gone through the whole manual Been at it all day tried everything. Milk only purges for 5 seconds. Keeps returning back to the 2 only lights. I appreciate you answering my call for help. Thank you. I think it will end up in the bin.

Karen_perth
Karen_perth · Bambino Plus BES500

Disappointed to see that the single wall filter baskets are not included. I'm having trouble sourcing a 1-cup single wall basket ... any ideas on where to purchase?

BanjoPaterson

You can buy single walls baskets off the Breville site (https://www.breville.com/au/en/parts-accessories/parts/sp0001520.html) or the IMS Precision baskets for 54mm off specialty sites for much more. For both of these you may need to remove the plastic flow insert in the portafilter. This is straightforward if you remove the spring/ clip at the top of the portafilter rim (it holds the filter basket in), remove the plastic insert, then put back the spring.

Jaz L.
Jaz L. · Bambino Plus BES500

How long does this machine bambino take to froth milk... I'm looking for one that is more powerful then most home machines.. but poss without the commercial price tag.. is this possible does anyone know?

Suz57
Suz57

Less than a minute. There are three froth settings. I find the second setting perfect. Just like store bought

30 to 45 seconds

Kevin N.
Kevin N. · Bambino Plus BES500BSS (Stainless Steel)

Cleaning procedure

Gayle

Haven't had it long enough yet

Gayle · Bambino Plus BES500

What is the largest cup size I can use with machine

jill
jill

you can use a 250cc glass as long as it is not more then 90 mm high
We use 250cc coffee glasses without problems

Gayle · Bambino Plus BES500

What size cup can I use, eg 250ml cup

Estienne
Estienne

You can use massive cups. We use 400ml cups and still plenty of space to upgrade

I want more than 60ml of coffee. Can I adjust to get say 140ml

Can I adjust volume from 60ml to say 140ml

vickimcgaw
vickimcgaw · Bambino Plus BES500BSS (Stainless Steel)

Hi. Breville Bambino Plus BES500BSS Stainless Steel coffee machine purchased 2 mths ago is not heating water, nor frothing milk. Thank you. Vicki

hutchyhouse
hutchyhouse

Sounds defective, I'd return it under warranty

vickimcgaw

Thank you for your response. Have contacted the company as well. A replacement sounds in order.

Helen C · Bambino Plus BES500

I bought one in February but can’t get a good extraction out of either the single or double shot. Have tried several different grind sizes, with the double shot i’m lucky to get 30ml of coffee. Am I doing something wrong or is there a fault with my machine??

Tim
Tim

Grind should be just starting to clump ish as it lands in the basket. You can go quite course with the double wall basket and still get a reasonable shot. R u too fine and it’s choking? Wet or dry puck? How’s it run without a shot in it (it is possible that the hole in the basket is blocked but unlikely if this problem was from new)? What coffee are you using (if from the supermarket it will be very ordinary)?

Helen C

The puck is coming out wet. We use an expresso grind from a local coffee roaster.

Helen C

Without the group handle i’m getting 63g of water, when the group handle is in with coffee I’m getting 40g of coffee. Puck is wet but comes out in clumps, maybe I’m expecting to much as we also have an oracle as our everyday machine.

Mhe
Mhe · Bambino Plus BES500

I would like to buy a single (non pressurised) filter basket for my Breville Bambino Plus, however Breville Customer Service advised me you cannot use these basket with this particular machine, I have a Breville Dose Control Grinder Pro and prefer to grind my coffee beans and use the single wall filter basket instead of the provided dual wall. Question is a single wall filter basket compatible with this espresso machine

From their own website:-
Filter 1 Cup Single Wall
Model: SP0001518 (works with BES500)

They also have the 2 Cup Single Wall which we bought from them and use.

Nan B.
Nan B. · Bambino Plus BES500

Hi.. my Bambino plus BES500 has stopped making hot Steam/water. I’ve cleaned, descaled then factory respect. Nothing. Does it have a thermostat? I love my Bambino Coffee machine.. I’m in Geraldton WA 6530. Is there someone that can help me here plz ?

The Reviewer

Why not ask Breville directly?

Deb N.
Deb N.

Ours is doing the same thing. Did you figure out how to fix the issue?

shonofear
shonofear

Our machine also has started doing this, currently organising to send to Breville for repairs. Machine is 13 months old.

Claire
Claire · Bambino Plus BES500BSS (Stainless Steel)

Got my machine today, so excited.
But I can’t put the coffee arm into machine.
It clicks up but I can’t turn it to lock,,like I’m not strong enough.

SunGypzy
SunGypzy

It is very stiff to start with but should loosen up over time. You need to use both hands. One to hold the machine steady and the other to turn the group handle. Hope this helps. :). Good luck with it.

Claire

Thankyou will keep trying...when I washed and put the little coffee holder back in it really clicked...hopefully that will help too..thanks

Joanne
Joanne · Bambino Plus BES500

I’d like to buy non-pressurised filter basket. What size should I get?

Alan W.
Alan W.

54mm

Mrs. Christine Falletti
Mrs. Christine Falletti · Bambino Plus BES500BSS (Stainless Steel)

Milk isn’t frothing as much as it use to even after cleaning the steam wand-anything else I can do?

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Select a listing for your question
Breville Bambino Plus BES500