CGU Car Insurance
Listing monitored by CGU

9 questions from our users

Kateasked
Car Insurance

Can anyone tell me if I’m covered by my insurance if I drive 4 weeks post c section pending I have drs approval/clearance? I can’t find much online in regards to this.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Kate, thanks for getting in touch. Our PDS doesn't have anything listed about driving after surgery. We would recommend you go with what your doctor advises. If they advise you to wait a certain number of weeks, we are happy for you to drive on your doctors advice. Hope this helps. ~Bec

Kate

Thank you for your reply. I rang and that’s the same thing I was told on the phone which is great. Dr has said I’m fine to drive so long as my insurance provider is happy for me to do so. Wonderful news for me as not being able to drive and having 4 children makes it hard. I’m going to wait another week as advised then I can finally drive again.

Care TeamCGU

Fantastic to hear Kate! You are most welcome. All the best to you and keep safe! ~ Rick

Wazasked
Car Insurance

Looking at all the reviews in product review - and if these are typical of how this company operates - I don't really understand how CGU remains in business!
I already have a car insured with CGU, but haven't as yet needed to make a claim....one might say thank God for that, because going by the reviews my chances for a satisfactory outcome - should I be involved in an accident - appear rather limited.

I was looking to insure a second vehicle, hence the hunt for an appropriate insurer, but I'm left wondering if I should cut loose CGU altogether and try for another company with much better outcomes.....

What assurances can CGU give me that I won't simply be wasting my time flogging a dead horse should I continue with CGU? You are the cheapest insurance I have found so far, but as an insurance company - is that ALL you are? Thanks Warren Harvey

Care TeamCGU

Hi Waz, thanks for leaving us a question here. Unfortunately people often come to ProductReview after a claim that they aren't completely satisfied, but very rarely do after thousands of great claims outcomes that we have each year.

We are very proud of our customer service and claims experience and I personally don't hesitate to suggest it to my friends and family.

I am happy to hear that you haven't yet had to make a claim, but I am sure that you will be very satisfied with our help if you ever do need to.

Merry Christmas! -Nathan

Waz

Thanks for the quick response Nathan. I do so hope you are right, because we have elected to continue with CGU insurance for our second car. However it does bring to mind that quite some years ago, the roof on our house needed replacing after a hail storm. Indeed, after reporting the incident we did get the job done courtesy of CGU insurance - twelve months later! CGU had forgotten us! So one might say - watch this space!

terry o
terry oasked
Car Insurance

Can you apply for an over 50 discount on landlords building and contents cover?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Terry, as soon as you enter your details it will automatically apply at new business or at your next renewal after you turn 50 :) ~Natalie

Waz

Hi Terry - I'd love to know how it went.

DON18
DON18asked

Hi there,
I understand that you're dealing with tens and thousands of claims due to unprecedented events recently. But I believe, there's no excuse when it comes to not resolving the problem on time. You guys have no patience when it comes to grabbing money from us. I pay over $2k for my AMG. I'm a disappointed customer just like thousands of others. I thought I was in the better hands due to the hefty premium I was paying. Now, I was wondering how long does it take to process a writeoff and replace my car with a new one with the current backlog? I need a genuine answer because I found a car to replace (same make, model & spec) and I'm happy to put a deposit until you sort out the payment for it. Please advise me correctly so I can work things out my way or else this won't get solved for months.

Care TeamCGU

Hi Don, I unfortunately won't be able to answer that because every single claim is different. If you would like to me to escalate your claim and have someone call you about your write off vehicle can you please message us on Facebook http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and let us know you're from product review. ~Natalie

Angeasked
Car Insurance

How long does it take to receive a premium back credit? Is this payed by cheque or does it go into your account?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Ange, thanks for the question. Can you confirm if you are asking about a refund from cancelling or amending a policy or a settlement from a claim? ~Natalie

Ange

Hi, a refund when canceling a policy.

Care TeamCGU

Thanks for confirming Ange, we can refund by bsb & account where possible otherwise it's a cheque. The refund can take anywhere from 3-10 days depending on the method chosen. ~Natalie

Dom T.
Dom T.asked
Car Insurance

Is there a branch where you can visit to talk to someone face to face?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Dom, we don't have any branches to visit however if you click this link http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and message us there with your claim details we can have someone contact you to help. ~ Jono

Trying hard
Trying hardasked
Car Insurance

I have full comprehensive private use car insurance with CGU will this insurance cover me if I am doing deliveries for the chemist I work for?

Peter
Peterasked
Car Insurance

I have just been told by CGU that if my car is a write-off (after an accident that was not my fault), the remainder of my premiums for the year (11 months remaining) would be deducted from the "market value". Is this common business practice?

Nica
Nica

Hi Peter,
thank you for your question. Unfortunately it is common practice, not just with CGU, even if there is only one month remaining, as it was in my case.
They even deduct the remainder of the registration and you have to chase it back from the Department of Transport. Cheers Nica

AJB
AJB

It's correct that is is common practice. Whether you pay in one lump sum or monthly instalments, it's still a 12-month contract and states this clearly in your PDS. If you want to pay only 1/12th of what you agreed to pay them, then you should be happy to accept only 1/12th of the market value.

Annie
Annieasked
Car Insurance

Anyone know how much a cancellation fee is from CGU car insurance?

The pretty one
The pretty one

Sorry Annie I can't help, I will be cancelling but my insurance is a long term one, i just assumed for me that I will just tell them I have changed insurers. Best to ring them.

As far as I know, if your premium is fully paid for a year and decided to cancel it before the expiry date, e.g. six months before it expires, you will be refunded of the remaining unspent months. If you are paying monthly, it will cease on the month you cancel your policy. Check your policy to make sure...

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives

CGU Car Insurance