Koala Mattress Questions & Answers

317 questions from our users

Anne S

Anne Sasked

Koala Mattress

Can I use your mattress on a Plega Electric Bed that has settings for both raising the back and the foot of the bed.

Hey Anne,

Hope you are well :)

The mattress is suitable for an electric bed, we just ask for when the mattress is not in use for the bed to kept flat.

Hope this helps!

The Koala Team

Derek

Derekasked

Queen

I'd be interested to here from people who have had the mattress for a few years not just a few weeks. Foam tends to wear quickly and being all foam I have a feeling there would be massive changes in feel between when you first get the mattress to a few years down the track.

Hey Derek,

Hope you are having a great day :)

The Koala Mattress is covered by a 10 Year Full Replacement Limited Warranty. Our mattresses are built to last, and we proudly stand by this unbeatable warranty as proof of our confidence in the product.
You can read a little bit more about the warranty here: https://assets.koala.com/img/emails/Koala_Warranty/10YearLimitedMattressWarranty.pdf

Thanks!
The Koala Team

trev

trevasked

Koala Mattress

looking at buying one. not sure how long the mattress will hold shape as all reviews are recent. can someone tell us if they are still good after 7 or 8 years please?

Hey Trev!

Hope you are having a fab day :)

We have only been around for 4 years, but our mattresses are designed to last up to 10 years!
They come with a 10 year warranty & you can read a little bit more about what is covered in the link below:

Thank you & please feel free to reach out to us on support@koala.com if you have any further questions.

Stuart K.

Stuart K.asked

Koala Mattress

I'm in the process of returning my mattress due to being too firm for me. Like others I noticed a yellow tiger stripes pattern. Is it fine sending back like that?

Koala S.Koala

Hi Stuart, are you sending it back under the 120-night trial? If so that is absolutely fine, if you are unsure send an email to support@koala.com along with your order number and we can help you out.

Jasmin mathew

Jasmin mathewasked

Koala Mattress

So i only just got a koala mattress and my dog weed at the end of the bed it went through the blankets and its now i can smell it all at the end of the mattress without the cover on it , am i able to get get cleaned by a pro or should i do it myself and if so how do i clean the wee smell out , so worried its foam and i dont wanna stuff it ..

Koala S.Koala

Hi there, I just asked our support team and they recommend taking the cover off and washing it thoroughly then spot cleaning the mattress with mild detergent. I hope this helps

Nicole

Nicoleasked

Koala Mattress

We got our mattress late December 2018. For about the last 2 months I have noticed there is an indent where my partner lays and a dip in the middle of the bed which causes me to roll into the centre causing back pain..are we meant to rotate the mattress? It's only 8 months... surely this is not right?

Hey Nicole!

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Koala mattress, this doesn't sound right!

If you could please send us an email to support@koala.com our warranties team will be able assist you :)

Thank you!

Andrea
Andrea

What was the answer to the dipping? We have same problem with 16 month old mattress. Looks like the old mattress we replaced!

Felicity A.

Felicity A.asked

Koala Mattress

We’ve had our mattress since last December and there is a bit divet in it where my partner sleeps. Aren’t Koala’s supposed to hold their shape?

I’m happy with mine.!

fred f
fred f

What did they say when you rang them?

Hi Felicity,
Please give our customer service team a call, they can help! 1800 K SLEEP

Ryan G.

Ryan G.asked

Queen

How good is this mattress for someone who sleeps on their side will it be too firm? Wanting to know before I buy. Thanks.

H. B.
H. B.

I dislike firm beds and have bursitis in one hip on and off. I’m also a side sleeper (though sometimes I find myself on my back) I’m not having any discomfort at all from this bed. Mattress comes with a lengthy trial period it and if not happy they will refund you. Also will provide a topper if you want that extra layer of comfort.

Beauy Bob

I think it’s really comfy and I sleep in my side. It’s a 120 day trial so you could just try it.

Dallas
Dallas

It's costing me 2500 for a chiropractor to fix my back still not fixed bit of perment damage I changed brands to ecosa mattress and haven't had an issue since but I will be seeking legal advice

Sonali

Sonaliasked

Koala Mattress

My hot water bottle leaked on koala mattress..it's only couple of hours since I realized and tried to dry with towel.
How can that be fixed please

Koala S.Koala

Oh no, don't worry - the mattress will eventually completely dry. If you do get the chance to air the mattress outside in the sun I would advise doing that!

Daniel Flynn

Daniel Flynnasked

Koala Mattress

Is it ok to put mattress cover in washing machine to get rid of stains?

Hi Daniel,
Your best bet for cleaning will be to remove the mattress cover and wash this on a gentle cold cycle in the washing machine or spot cleaning with a gentle detergent.
Please line dry only!
- Eve @ Koala

Brooke B.

Brooke B.asked

Queen

What time of mattress protector is bedtvto use.

Hi Brooke!
It's entirely up to you.
Ideally try and find something that uses natural fibres so that the mattress can still breathe!
Our mattress also comes with a zip-off washable mattress cover but this isn't 100% waterproof.
Hope this helps!

Lan

Lanasked

Koala Mattress

I bought two single bed koala mattress’s in April this year for my holiday house, however have not been able to open them out of the box as yet due to delays in our renovations. Will the mattress’s be ok?

Hi Lan,
Can you please let us know the production date for each (stamped on the boxes)
and the order number?
Eve
e.simmance@koala.com

Vellaasked

Koala Mattress

My new mattress has a strong chemical smell in the first two weeks of having had it. Could you please let me know what this smell is likely to be, i.e. what chemical compounds would be expected to come from the foam? I saw an answer somewhere that says the smell isn't harmful, but I would still like to know what it is since I'm sure it has been measured. Thanks.

Hi Vella,
I'm sorry to hear that.
Thanks for taking time to write in here-

It's no particular chemical, this is just the smell of the new foam the mattress is low VOC (Volatile organic compounds) your mattress contains no heavy metals, no fire retardant chemicals, no phthalates, no formaldehyde, no ozone-deplete substances, no CFC’s, and almost zero emissions are produced in the production process!
Here is some more information on our foam manufacturing and health qualities.

- No Liquid Carbon Dioxide
- Meets Australasian & Global environmental regulations
- Outperforms all other conventional foams

Our foams include an additive during production that protects consumers from dust mites and significantly reduces the major causes of allergies and asthma in the home.

The active ingredient of this additive is permethrin – an environmentally sound, synthetic compound developed to improve on the characteristics of pyrethrum, a naturally occurring dust mite repellent found in the pyrethrum daisy.

The smell usually dissipates over the first week, but some people who are sensitive to smells may find that they notice it a little longer.

Please call us if you would like us to send you a spray that does help with this.
1800 K SLEEP
Or you can also email me:
e.simmance@hotmail.com

Eve

Hi Eve,
Thanks for the reply and information. I guess what I'd really like to know then is what specific compounds make up the bulk of the VOCs. The smell is still bothering me one month in, and I don't think a spray will help to stop the smell coming out of the mattress, at best I assume it will just mask it.

Hi Vella,
I don't know what the compounds are. I have been provided with some additional information though:

Our foam has:
- No Auxiliary Blowing Agents - Methylene Chloride or Liquid Carbon Dioxide
- No Acetone or Pentane

The Koala Mattress has been certified to be low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Our mattress does not contain anything that may cause indoor air pollution and has a VOC emission rate below 0.5 g/m2 per hour, making it perfectly healthy to sleep on.

The Koala Mattress is made of Dunlop foams, which is a GECA (Good Environmental Choice Australia) certified foam with a "GREEN STAR RATING" - http://www.geca.org.au/why-purchase-certified-products/. The Dunlop brand is instantly recognised and respected; it represents integrity, quality and value.

Our comfort layers are certified for the highest fire retardant rating. However, they do not contain any fire retardant chemicals - there is a netting around the mattress which acts as the fire retardant and this is made 100% Polyamide aka Nylon.

Have you washed your beeding ? (sheets and pillowcases) sometimes the smell can linger in the fabric.
If the mattress itself does still have a bad smell after the sheets have been washed, please call our support team on 1800 K SLEEP

Sharon M.

Sharon M.asked

Koala Mattress

What can I put on top of my mattress to stop hot spots during the night. I have very good quality cotton sheets.

Hi Sharon,
Are you using anything else on top of your Koala mattress such as a topper or a protector?
Also, what sort of bed base do you have?

Janet

I'm sorry I have no answer for you - I'm interested though because I'd like to see what sort of answers come up.

Jenny

Jennyasked

Queen

I am looking a good queen mettress, because i've got back, neck, shoulder pain. How much is it?

Janet

Queen Mattress is $1050 with free delivery. I also have back, neck and shoulder pain as well as problems with hips and find it great and I sleep well.

Wojtek P.

Wojtek P.asked

Koala Mattress

I bought the Koala mattress and when changing the mattress protector I have noticed a large yellow stain on the mattress and the protector. This does seem right. Why is it causing a yellow stain?

Lesley Burgess
Lesley Burgess

I have no idea & have not experienced it.

Koala S.Koala

I’m sorry to hear your having issues with your koala mattress; the yellowing is caused by a chemical reaction called phenolic yellowing, this is completely harmless but can effect the mattress when they get a little too hot when wrapped in the plastic. We will be happy to replace the cover for you if you could fill in the warranty claim form we will get this out to you ASAP.

The mattress is safe to use, as the reactions is only causing a colour defect and I suggest keeping the exisiting yellow cover after the replacement cover comes as a sneaky spare if you need it.

Once you have filled in the form, our warranties team will dispatch you a new mattress cover ASAP. All yellowing claims will be accepted so just stand by for tracking information.

Elaine H

Elaine Hasked

Koala Mattress

I bought a koala queen mattress a couple of years ago, and recently noticed an increase in hip pain at night due to a significant indent/groove where I usually sleep. You can see the indent slightly, but it is very obvious to feel the difference when running your hand across the middle of the mattress to the side. I weigh less than 60kg and my partner, who weighs 80kg does not have this indent on his side of the bed.
Does our warranty cover this, and how would I proceed with this matter/possibly return the mattress for a replacement?
Elaine

Hi Elaine,Hi,

I’m sorry to hear you're having issues with your koala mattress, this is something we'd like to look into for you.
Your warranty covers any sagging that has a dip of 2.5cm or deeper.

If you could please take a moment to fill in the warranty form (link below) we can get this sorted out for you right away.

Please ensure that your photos uploaded through the form replicate the examples provided, otherwise your claim may be denied or asked to retake the photos, which will delay the turnaround time.

Once we have received the form back we will be in touch within 2-3 business days with an outcome to your warranty request.

blonkie70

blonkie70asked

Koala Mattress

Would like to hear from someone who has had this mattress for more than a few months as it seems that the good reviews are only recent. Those few reviews that have had the mattress longer are not happy at all.

Would also be interested in the returns policy. Do they pick up without any charges or do they sting you for a pick up fee??

Koala S.Koala

Hey Blonkie - sorry we missed this question.

We will pick up your return for free if you are in a metro area - rural returns will need to get the mattress to our nearest returns depot.

Michelle

Michelleasked

Queen

Hi we have had our mattress for 2 weeks and we are both finding it very uncomfortable to sleep on. Waking up with lower back and hip pain. Is there a period I should wait to see if it softens? Can I expect it to soften much? I do have a base that meets all your criteria.

Steven B.
Steven B.

I would say maybe wait it out a little bit longer if you are Ok with doing so, but personally I have not noticed any major differences from when it arrived in terms of softness. My takeaway is that the lack of springs means they made the foam's they used slightly firmer.

Hi Michelle,
The mattress won't soften, but your body needs time to adjust to any new mattress.
It can take 3-4 weeks for it to fully adjust so I would recommend giving it another week and then see how you're feeling on it!

Saskia V.asked

Koala Mattress

Hi, can I use my old bed base with your mattress?

Koala S.Koala

Yes! The Koala works on any bed base.
Something strong and solid that allows for airflow underneath is ideal!

Saskia V.

Thanks for responding, I am in love with this mattress 2nd night sleeping on it and I feel great! Awesome product!!!!

Koala S.Koala

That's great news! So glad to hear you're sleeping well Saskia

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives