Mazda 2 DJ

Mazda 2 DJ (2014-2021) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: Mazda 2 DJ 2020 and Mazda 2 DJ 2022. Genki, GT, Maxx, Neo
Brand Manager for Mazda? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

16 questions from our users

Trevor D.
Trevor D.asked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has any1 have a problem of Mazda 2 sky active does not want to shut down and keeps clicking under the bonett

Tom's c.asked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

I have a 2018 Mazda 2 Maxx dj. Bought new from dealer. Have some intermittent problems.
Sluggish on take off (lag) intermittent problem.
The other is the auto gears rev up and won't change untill ease off the accelerator or switch to manual then back to auto. The dealer service can't find anything wrong.
Has anyone else had similar issues?

Tammy S.
Tammy S.

Yes, I have also had this issue since about 120000km . But mine is now at 160000km only other issue I had was the aircon bearing wearing out at 150000. I’ve had it serviced every 10000km. My car is a 2007 model

Tom's c.

Tammy.s did you get a fix for the issues I mentioned?

paul a.
paul a.asked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

My friend says her mazda 2 makes a noise when she stops and puts it in park,....Any ideas?

Clark Y

I have the same issue with the back brake especially first thing in the morning or when it is parked for many hours. Have sent my 2016 Mazda 2 Sedan to dealer service center and was told that it was a common issue for Mazda 2 since the back brake is drum brake. They cleaned out the brake dust then it would stopped for a while but eventually the squeaking sound returned. I still have no solution for this issue. Very frustrating.

Pamela
Pamelaasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Does leaving it in drive fletten the battery.

Linda
Linda

I’m not an authority just a disappointed buyer.

Stevo
Stevoasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

2015 Mazda 2. Should the front left wheel be 10mm further back than the front right. Is this normal?

Chris G.
Chris G.asked
DJ Genki Automatic (2014-2021)

Why can't I convert the Mazda Touch screen to Apple Carplay?

Clark Y

Yes, you can. I think it will cost you about $500. I can't remember how much exactly paid to get mine upgraded with Apple CarPlay

GloriaKasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

I have a 2015 genki dj series with 75000 klms on it. With regards to the fuel filter do these ever have to be replaced. Where is it, How often should it be replaced and can a home mechanic do it.

James C.
James C.

I am no mechanic so I did a google search. It tells you that it needs to be changed every 30000 klm, so if your car is suffering from symptoms of a bad filter such as it smells, lack of power and engine stall, then I suppose you need to change it.
Everything is on youtube, if that is something you want to do. Just do a search. I personally would not waste my time. You probably saving $100 (or $200 at the most). Just call up your local mechanic for a quote if you need to change it.
Sounds like you do everything yourself (such as change oil & service) which is great but I always go back to my dealer to service my car as I need it to be in a very good condition as I use my car everyday. Remember to change your drive belt (about 90klm) and your battery (probably end of the year) if you have not done so. I hope this helps.

Thanks james for advice

GloriaK

Ps could not find anything om youtube could you send the link.

Seppi
Seppiasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

We have a intermittent problem with our 2014 Mazda 2.
When it is put into auto it shudders because the revs drop right down, this is really annoying when stopping at the lights. The car idles perfectly when out of gear. Has been into 2 dealers with no answers.
Anyone had a similar problem.
Joey

Coaty G.
Coaty G.

Hi. I have the exact same problem with my 2014 DJ Mazda 2 with the SkyActiv engine.
When in D and foot on brake it idles rough to about 500rpm. If I leave it in D and put handbrake on its revs higher and smoothes out. Same if I leave the brakes on and place it in N.
Was there any info or advice from the Mazda dealers you went too? My mechanic had a look at it and looked for air leaks but couldn’t find anything. This seems like a problem with these cars as I have searched the internet and found a few people have complained - trying to find a solution.

jun
junasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

My car is a Mazda 2 2014 Sports Hatcback. My question is what is the timing used on this model weather timing chain or timing belt?

Cat
Cat

Mazda 2 from Year 2007-2017 uses Timing Chain

Except: 1.4 L Y4 I4 (mz-cd, diesel) or 1.6 L Y6 I4 (mz-cd) which are Timing Belt.

Miss Disappointed
Miss Disappointedasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

I'm a single mum of one school aged child. Was wondering if those with similar circumstances find it big enough for you and your kids. I'm not planning on anymore right now so I don't want to go ahead and buy a car that's too big for our needs. I was thinking of going for the Mazda 3 instead. Any ideas?

Glenn
Glenn

The Mazda 2 is surprisingly a pretty spacious car for its size. If it's just for you and your child, it's more than enough space. My Mazda 2 is my family's 2nd car, and I find myself driving it more often than our bigger car, simply because it's very nimble and easy to drive, especially in tight spaces and driving in the city.

Mazda 3 is definitely a better and more powerful car, and will be an even more pleasurable drive. You will need to weigh the cost factor and decide which one is better for you.

In a nutshell, Mazda is a fuss free and simple car for daily commute, very easy to drive and handle. Down size is it's not very powerful in terms of engine (1.5L), and the boot space is small. Mazda 3 is more powerful, bigger engine, more spacious and stable and cost more.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you want a car that will last you for a long long time and the option for extended family members, and you are willing to spend more, get the Mazda 3. If not stick to Mazda 2, keeping in mind that one day you may need to upgrade should you need more space.

Svetlana Robertsasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Does anyone else out there have a problem with reversing a Mazda2 Maxx manual UP a steep incline? It's fine on a slight slope, but the steeper the incline, the greater the "shudder". I've had manual cars all my life and prior to this car had a Mazda2 Maxx for 8 years, never a problem. It was bought new in 2016.

Jordie
Jordie

I haven't noticed or had cause to reverse up a steep incline but. I'll try it & let you know if any problems

Svetlana Roberts

Thanks. I've tried with the handbrake and without the handbrake. Without the handbrake it shoots backwards very quickly, not useful when you try to get out of a parking spot. WITH the handbrake it gets the shudders. Mazda techs checked another manual and said it did the same thing, so decided it was a characteristic. I think it is a fault. My hysband has had the same problem when reversing the car, so it's not just me.

TombRaider123
TombRaider123

having this problem now car only done 7000 kms and has been doing it almost since new mazda say don't know what is causing problem

Svetlana Robertsasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has anyone out there had a problem with a Mazda 2 manual reversing UP a steep incline? DOWN doesn't seem to be a problem, but UP the car has a severe shudder. I've been driving manuals for too many years to mention, and our previous Mazda 2 did not do this. 2016 model.

Toddy
Toddy

Mine is an automatic so do not have the problem

Svetlana Roberts

Thanks. Mazda says it is a "characteristic". Seriously?

joey29
joey29

mine is auto and no problem. that should be computer issue..

Hazel
Hazelasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has anyone had a problem with the air on on 2016 mazda 2?

Mazda 2 genki s - pack. Paid $24K for a brand new car which only blows hot air.

Have to wait 8 days until the service centre can fit it in.

Not Happy and what century are we in?

Mazzy Mazz

I don't know about you're experience, but my air con, when it get's turned on for the first 10 min, its smells like wet laundry that hasn't dried properly... -.-"

David
Davidasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

My Mazda 2 2015 Automatic seems to be having noise problems with transmission. When car changes from 2nd gear to 3rd gear I can hear a whistling sound similar to a boiling kettle. Have taken car back to dealer and they said they changed 1st gearbox and now same noise in 2nd gearbox. Can anyone help me with this problem or does anyone else have same problem?
Any help appreciated.
David Walker

Andrew V
Andrew V

I've noticed a little whistle changing from 2nd to 3rd in our 2016 Mazda 2. It doesn't always do it and I'm sure my wife has never even noticed it (it's actually her car). I don't really perceive it to be a problem. Would not be surprised if it's just characteristic of the model?

Mazzy Mazz

I have a small whistle when I accelerate, but I just thought that was the fan intake?
It is hardly noticeable though, only when I have my audio or radio turned off.

Kwaku O.
Kwaku O.

Front brake pads makes the rem black

Mazzy Mazzasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

I have a 2015 Maxx Mazda 2 and I've had a few issues or I might be paranoid.
With the steering wheel, when indicating, is it normal to hear a clicking as you turn the steering wheel (cancellation clicks)? I noticed that when turning right its a lot louder then turning left.
Also, with the acceleration, I've found it to be a bit laggy and often jolts when accelerating from low speeds. When on the highway it would often rev up to +4000rpms and accelerate quite slowly and I'm afraid to step on the accelerator anymore due to the 4000 rpm count.
As for fuel economy I've been getting around 578km per tank.
The steering also feels very light (maybe because I'm used to driving a mazda 3 2014) but often going around a roundabout I feel as if the car tends to slip a bit.

And the final issue is when I turn on the warm aircon a putrid smell comes out (like wet clothes that haven't dried properly) (doesn't happen on the cold aircon). Being a new car I don't expect it to be moisture levels.

KMT
KMT

The problem I had with my steering was also a clicking sound and more noise on one side when turning but not with blinker
I just got it repaired and cost $710
I would get all these issues checked out asap depending where you bought it from as it should be still under warranty and should not be happening to a new car
Good luck

Joho
Johoasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has anyone had any noise complaint from Mazda 2 sports dj genki? As it got a noise in seat belt pillar both sides passenger and driver. Have had it back to Mazda about 6 times and they still can't fix it. Sometimes can't hear it. Not happy!

Kara
Kara

Hi Joho,

I have a Mazda 2 Maxx 2015 and although they're not the same edition, mine doesn't appear to be making any noises and I've had mine for about 4 months now. As long as your car is under warranty, just keep on taking it back until they find out whats wrong with it. Hopefully it's just a small problem and and an easy fix!

displaynamehere
displaynamehere

Exactly same issue! Have had it looked at numerous times and even dropped it in for a week, with no success. Really disappointed as it isn't the only rattle I am hearing in the interior.

Mazda 2 DJ (2014-2021)