Stihl MS 381

Wali J.asked

My ms 381 run about 10 minutes then dies

Jum S.

Jum S.asked

Start does not stay ...it start but it stop now n then...why?

DFour T.

DFour T.asked

Ms381 has a clogging sound when the chain is locked. And the machine idles extremely high . sometimes won't start if chain is locked. Overall locking the chain causes a chocking sound and eventually chainsaw cuts off. Any ideas on the cause?

Aumuaasked

Looking for new or second hand piston and cylinders

I give it 5 stars

Aumua

I haven’t got the part n still looking for a second hand piston n cylinder

ben

benasked

How much the MS-381 cost?
How can I get a chain(blade) for this saw? Pliz help me

Bill

Around $1895 nz dollars will get you a new one however you can pick up 381 second hand for $1200 and under. They come with chain and bar generally unless you only buy the powerhead. Chains can be picked up from your stihl dealer $64 nz dollars to fit a 20inch bar. Oregon make a good cheaper option in bars and chains and are just as good, hope this helps ☺

Sean K

You can pick one up in mint condition for $500-$650,probably with a case etc.
Its a bit on the hefty side but is an excellent bucking / firewood saw with massive torque.
Any Stihl dealer can sell you a bar & chain.
Recommend .063 3/8th, semi or full chisel will depend on what your using it for. Semi will need sharpening less often and is more tolerant of dirty bark etc.
20 inch is a good all rounder, 25 for larger cuts.

Izzy

Izzyasked

What size file would I use to sharpen the chain of a stihl 381?

Mine has a 063 gauge 3/8 pitch chain so takes a 5.5 mm file

Bbrrrr

My dad logged fire wood in W.A and used an 051 best saw ever! His boss had an MS 880 with a 46” bar. Went through any thing. He also logged Punga (NZ tree fern) as fire wood. Not sure of what saw he used.

Nihar1304

Nihar1304asked

Is this run in petrol?

Callum P
Callum P

i dont know. i run mine on used chip oil

SkiTragic
SkiTragic

Warning to others who trust productreview.com.au - disregard this comment from Callum P. Use only what's recommended by the manufacturer in your Stihl chain saw.

ROGLMAO !!

Cambo

Camboasked

I am looking at buying this saw and wondered if anyone had issues with starting or flooding when cold starting?

Big Ben
Big Ben

I haven't had any issues with starting or flooding when cold starting in the years I've owned Stihl MS381 Chainsaws. As long as you read & understand the manual. If you follow the manual's correct starting techniques. You should be right.

Bill

No problems with hot/cold starting or flooding for me with the Stihl 381, choke and pull till it fires flick lever up to run position and one good pull and you are away. All and all a really reliable solid saw.

JP MATHANDA

JP MATHANDAasked

On MS381 what are the sizes for a guidebar and chain length?

Muz
Muz

The guide bar is a 20 inch bar on mine. I think you can get 18' and 25' as well. Chain length is ??? but it has 72 links and is 33RS72 according to the "Stihl chain selection and identification" pdf.