Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000

Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000 Questions & Answers

EM5000K (Black), EM5000WR (White Rose Gold)
Listing monitored by Sunbeam

262 questions from our users

Claudia F.asked
Cafe Barista EM5000

I have had my EM5000 for only six days and when making a large cup/mug the milk is too frothy and spills out all over the mug and into the tray. I have to then wipe the cup down. Have used full cream milk instead of skim, still very bubbly and too much. How can I get a nice creamy froth.? I have turned the froth down low- no difference.

Hi Claudia,
We suggest using milk with a higher fat content, such as full cream milk. Fat works against the protein in ‘connecting’ with air bubbles. Avoid skim milk.
Try adding the milk foam first, then adding coffee (or other beverages) to the milk foam. Let me know if this fixes your issue.

Claudia F.

As I said, I have been using full cream milk. No difference.
The machine adds the milk foam first and then the coffee. It still overflows before the coffee goes in. Does anyone else have this happen?

Hi Claudia,
Can I ask what kind of coffee are you trying to make? Also make sure your froth dial is not sitting too far past 12 oclock this could also be causing the over froth.

Sam J.
Sam J.asked

Hi,

Like many people here my sunbeam which I have had around 12 months is leaking water in heating up and the coffee is not as hot as it used to be? Can you please help

Hi Sam J,
I have just sent you a private message if you could kindly respond via this please.

Carly.A
Carly.Aasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

I brought this machine less than 10 months ago and last week it started to struggle to produce milk froth, it was only filling my cup with about 10mls of milk. Now today it has completely stopped pushing milk through, its just making a chug and frothing high pitched sound. The espresso capsule has also began leaking.

The water reservoir is full, the group handle and basket have been separated and cleaned and i always clean the milk out of the milk compartment after each use ready for fresh milk the next day. I have descaled multiple times, it has not improved.

What am i not doing for this to happen?

Hi Carly A,
Have you tried cleaning the milk reservoir and frothing tube. If you follow the instructions on page 15 attached https://sunbeam-s3-production.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/EM5000_20EM1_20_2c4a93d5e2.pdf this will show you how to do so let me know if this helps you.

Leah
Leahasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

Bought last week, both coffee and milk aren’t hot enough.. is there a way to fix ?

Hi Leah,
If you enjoy your coffee a little on the hotter side, you can preheat the group handle, group head and your coffee cup with hot water.
Preheating is important as it ensures the coffee doesn’t lose heat when it touches a cold surface.
To preheat the group handle, group head and coffee cup:
• Insert the filter basket into the group handle. Insert the group handle into the group head.
• Place an empty coffee cup under the group head.
• Press the ESPRESSO button twice.
• Remove the group handle and make sure it’s dry before you add the coffee grinds.
• Remove the hot water from the cup before you make your coffee.

Stu
Stuasked

Hi,
My machine (cleaned & descaled) has stopped working. No water runs through. Unable to make a coffee. Please help. Thanks

Hi Stu,

Gee
Geeasked

Hi,

When I make a coffee, there is so much froth and not much actual milk coffee. I have set the froth to the absolute lowest. There’s more froth than actual coffee. I stir the coffee continuously to get the froth out but nothing. I feel like I’m just drinking froth. Is there a way so that I have no froth in my coffee.

Hi Gee,
Try also adding the milk foam first, then adding coffee (or other beverages) to the milk foam.
Let me know if this helps you.

Katrina O.
Katrina O.asked
Cafe Barista EM5000

My machine is about 18 months old, and I've noticed today that the milk is starting to taste burnt. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is there something wrong with the machine? It's been used quite regularly.

Hi Katrina O,

Kara J.asked

Hello,
I brought the cafe barista yesterday!
Water seems to be staying in the filter cup when making a coffee ?
Everything was complete for the set up and everything has been cleaned!
Please advise if anyone is having a similar issue or how to resolve this ?

Hi Kara,
Coffee grinds may be trapped inside the filter basket. Try inserting a cleaning wire into the hole of the filter basket to dislodge any trapped coffee grinds.

Kara J.

Hello, this has been done. Plus it’s brand new! ??

Hi Kara,

deb
debasked
Cafe Barista EM5000WR (White Rose Gold)

does this coffee machine use beans or pods

Cindy F.
Cindy F.

grounded beans

Hi Deb,
Cindy is correct grounded beans.

Carly
Carlyasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

We have just recently purchased this machine approx 1 month ago. It is working and producing coffee/frothed milk/steam etc however the motor has become increasingly loud to the point we can’t use it in the morning due to living in an apartment and it being so loud. We have descaled and cleaned all parts but nothing has made a difference. Is this common?

Hi Carly,

Oksana
Oksanaasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

Hi - I've had the machine for less than a year and the coffee is not coming out properly anymore .. it's just dripping about half a shot glass now... Not sure what's happening??

Hi Oskana,
Have you tried cleaning the porta filter & brew head & tried descaling the machine? If you click on the product manual attached & refer to pages 16-17 https://sunbeam-s3-production.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/EM5000_20EM1_20_2c4a93d5e2.pdf this will show you how to do so please let me know if this helps you.

Glennh
Glennhasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

My machine, which is just on two years old has started to drip water on heating up. I use the flush program regularly and descale as necessary. Still dripping. And now today, I tried to make a latte, and only the coffee side started and kept filling the cup, without the milk side working. I had to manually stop it as it was going to overflow the cup. I turned it off for 30 minutes, tried again and it did the same thing? Help please!

Hi Glennh,

NHepburn
NHepburnasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

Hi we have had our machine for about 18 months and it has just started dripping water when heating up, could you please advise what needs to be done to fix this. Thanks

Hi NHepburn,

Lisa Y
Lisa Yasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

My milk frother won’t work now. My machine is just over 1 year old. Just spits out about a tablespoon. I have descaled not sure where the blockage is?

Hi Lisa,
Have you tried cleaning the milk frothing tube & milk container? & is there enough water in your water reservior also.
I have attached the product manual if you can please refer to page 15 of the manual attached https://sunbeam-s3-production.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/EM5000_20EM1_20_2c4a93d5e2.pdf this will show you how to do so please let me know if this helps you.

Heulwen
Heulwenasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

I am having the same problem as James below.
Water is hot through the coffee basket, but the milk is only lukewarm from the milk container. I have to put the cup of finished coffee in the microwave for 30 seconds to heat it up. Waste of time, power and money.
I have descaled the machine. I regularly run the "Clean" process offered by the machine. Separately, I have run the normal cappuccino cycle several times, with no coffee in the coffee basket and only water in the milk container. I have cleaned the milk container spout. None of this has helped. Is there a thermostat for the milk that could be faulty?
Please advise what else can be done to rectify. Thanks, H

Hi Heulwen,

Whenya D.
Whenya D.

Hi I am having the same problem, froth comes out only warm not hot, and also it just doesn’t sound right coming out. It’s almost as though it’s just pushing the milk through the machine into the cup and not frothing it or anything. Machine only just over a year old

Nick L.asked
Cafe Barista EM5000

Hi, I just bought the machine and tried to prime it but nothing happened? It runs for about 40 secs but no water comes out either the porta-filter or the frother!! I have taken the red plug out and followed all the instructions!?

Hi Nick,
Can I please confirm is the tank completly full?. Gravity helps pull through the water.
As long as it is not making a loud noise then there is nothing wrong it can sometimes take up to 2 minutes of priming before the water will start to flow through.

Nick L.

Hi, thanks for your response! It did take over two minutes but eventually worked!! Making some awesome coffee now, thanks!

Sabrina J.
Sabrina J.asked
Cafe Barista EM5000

My machine today suddenly started spraying out water through the little hole in the centre of the group head basket instead of the actual parts it's supposed to come out of. It's like spurting diluted espresso through this tiny hole that it shouldn't. It worked fine the first time, I'm not sure what's changed.

Hi Sabrina,
Can I please ask when you say the water is coming out of the centre is it flowing out of the screw? Have you tried tighting it if so?.

Zuzana
Zuzanaasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

I pulled apart the milk container lid for a clean & now I'm not sure if I'm putting it together right.. Help please.

Hi Zuzana,
Place the milk reservoir back in the unit ensuring it fits tightly and the Cappuccino and Latte buttons are
illuminated or pulsing. NOTE: Be sure to firmly push Milk Reservoir into unit until Cappuccino and Latte buttons light illuminate/pulse. Let me know if this helps you.

Ali
Aliasked
Cafe Barista EM5000

My machine has started dripping water from the group head when warming up. Do I need to replace a gasket or is it likely to be something else?

Hi Ali,

Corinne M.
Corinne M.

I'm having the exact same issue and my machine is less than 6 months old. This is my second machine doing the same thing

james l.asked
Cafe Barista EM5000

Hi my machine started to make cold milk forth and makes coffee cold.

Hi James,
Try preheating the group head by running an espresso cycle without an coffee. Preheat the coffee cup with hot water and empty the hot water before dispensing the coffee in the cup. Please try this & let me know if its still not heating up?.

james l.

The coffee is always hot from the the head

But the milk is not hot, from the froth container

Hi james l,

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

Sunbeam Cafe Barista EM5000