TP-Link Archer VR1600v

TP-Link Archer VR1600v Questions & Answers

29 questions from our users

Kirra J.asked

I need a replacement Archer VR1600v modem but TPG are going to take a couple of weeks to deliver it. Are there interchangeable modems that run TBG NBN that I can buy from a physical store to get one sooner?

Neil

You can buy lots of different Modems from any store selling such stuff. Will be better too. The vr1600 is a pretty cheap modem

Thanks Neil.

Aussie
Aussie

Most of the time you will get the router in a few days , They say that to cover their butt. And worth the wait as it is plug and play so easy to setup in 2 minutes.

Londyasked

I want to run google nest wifi - but it has its own router (which must be used) how do I disable the router function - but still allow the modem capability to work ?

Neil

you can just login into the TP-link at 192.168.1.1. click on Wireless and disable both the 2.4GHz and 5ghz. Or you can just leave on - then you will have two wifi netwrods - the TP link and the google - but that sometimes might cause interference. I would suggest setting up the google. leave for a day or two to make sure all ok and then disable.

ok thanks - I will give that a go

Lin M.

Lin M.asked

what is the default username and password to access this modum

admin admin

Carol Susanne

It is on the sticker on bottom of modem

Ian Mackay

Ian Mackayasked

I am researching whether or not it is possible to use it with ethernet cables only . Can this unit be used with the wifi switched off totally in order to avoid radiation ? Yes/No anyone ?

Carol Susanne

I don't know the answer to that Ian but maybe google it. It seems to be good and easy to set up.

Neil

You can disable wifi on all modems/routers

Mike

Mikeasked

i went to configure my archer AC1600 and it has a password and a user - what is the default

Carol Susanne

You need to look underneath the modem for the password and then change wifi password to that

Memery

Memeryasked

How do I control the modem from my phone? I need to be able to shut the internet down at the modem to control screen time on my kid’s school issued laptop (we are not allowed to download any parental
Control software to the school device). Thanks

jeff

jeffasked

This modem is a 5g modem. Can you use it with a 2.4ghz video doorbell. If yes how?

Aussiebloke34

Aussiebloke34asked

So essentially this is a TP-LINK VR600V rebranded and locked down for TPG from TP-Link?

Phil
Phil

We do not know about the re-branding, but the TP Link is considerably less expensive through TPG than otherwise. However right from the start I was suspicious about the reliability of the TP Link brand and the fact that both Modem-routers supplied were faulty from day-1 verified that.
We did ask about BYOD and was advised that yes we can do that, however after the contract was established, we were then advised that we had to use the TPG supplied TP-Link modem-router.
However now that we are with Aussie Broadband (AussieBB), we were supplied with a Netcomm modem-router, which is an established professional high-reliability brand, which we have used satisfactorily in the past.
Hence we assigned AussieBB 5 stars and TPG only 1 star.

S.K.

I cannot speak for what suppliers/providers do. I know a lot of large phone corporations do get their branding on already existent products made by others. It wouldn't surprise me if TPG was one of those. My provider does not do this, as they are relatively small. They also don't lock the product down so that you are stuck with that product with that provider. The one my provider gave me only has the TP Link branding on the item and manual, no other branding.

Mick
Mick

The VR1600v is an actual TP-Link modem. It might be specific to TPG requirements, but I am guessing. I don't know if it is locked down to TPG - that is a question I will ask them out of interest. From what I have read on the internet is that it is very similar to the VR600v model (you can buy this say from Officeworks), but it has internal antennas and a couple of VOIP ports.

JSPasked

Im trying to control access to the router by device. I have been into parental controls but it doesn't seem to let me just simply disconnect a device when I want to. I have to set up a time of day situation. I have kids & want to control their devices access to the internet, surely it shouldn't be this difficult. Can I just disconnect a device & reconnect when I want to?
Its very frustrating.

S.K.

I imagine you should be able to disconnect and then reconnect when you need to, which sounds straightforward enough. I only use this modem for phone needs, as I use internet and streaming needs via a 4g mobile network modem, due to having the rubbish fttn setup. Here is the link to downloading this model's full manual and not just the quick set up and installation guide. It may answer your question https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/download/archer-vr1600v/
If that doesn't work, send tp-link a question via their website, and here's hoping they know their own product well enough. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank you S.K

Seang C.

Seang C.asked

What is the operational range of this modem? How many meters away from this modem can a wireless device be located and still have access to it?

Dwayne E.

Dwayne E.asked

My modem isn't putting out a 2.4ghz wifi network. My phone is only seeing the 5g network.

How can I activate the 2.4ghz network?

S.K.

The buttons at the top of the modem do allow you to turn on/off the two wifi bands without having to go into the settings and make adjustments there.

Maurice

Mauriceasked

I am connected to a TPG FTTB (no NBN) service wth a promised typical evening speed of 90Mps
I have an archer VR 1600v version 2 modem

I find the 2.4 Gb modem connection speed on the internet is around 40 MPs however the 5 Gb connection has a speed of around 90 MPs
TPG claim that interference is the cause of poor performance on the 2,4 Gb setting
I am suspicious that the lack of speed is due To the quality for the modem

Anybody has the same problem and the way around

Basho
Basho

I have it on TPG NBN50 and it works wonders simultaneously, both 2.5 and 5

Maurice

Mauriceasked

However i find the 2.4 Gb modem connection speed on the internet is around 40 MPs however the 5 Gb connection has a speed of around 90 MPs
I am suspicious that the lack of speed is due To the quality for the modem

Anybody has the same problem and the way around

Joel S.

Joel S.asked

Can I run a 2.4GHz network and a 5GHz network simultaneously?

Anthony
Anthony

From my short experience with this router, yes, it can run both at once.

Joe

Joeasked

Can I get a wireless connection to an NBN compatible phone, as my existing phone is some distance away from the nbn connection.

Brian

Brianasked

what is ethernet speed

Rod L.
Rod L.

Specs:

Anulka M.

Anulka M.asked

I just got the router installed today. I tried to conect my Chromecast, I have the message that I need to disable access point on my router to be able to connect my devices

Anyone had the same problem ?

Howard B.

Howard B.asked

Can anyone assist where the firmware for vr1600v for telephone VoIP are located.

The User Guide for the modem/router is here, on the TP-Link Australia site:-
Chapter 5 of the 100+page User Guide deals with VOIP.
But Chapter 12.2 (p 90) deals with updating your firmware - you need to set up an account with TP-Link then log on, and follow the instructions for getting the firmware upgrade, which you can do by logging on as the administrator to the modem management app, (Ch 3 of the Guide) and following the instructions.

Trish M.

Trish M.asked

Cannot cast chrome to tv since changing from adsl to nbn

Cavitation

There are a multitude of possible reasons for this. Have you removed and reset it up on the new router?
Check out this useful set of instructions, for fixing the problem => https://boomerang.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003077234-I-can-t-Chromecast-from-my-Android-device-what-can-I-do-to-fix-this-

However, some possible issues are that the chromecast dongle and your phone need to be on the same network, and the older chromecast models only work on the 2.4 GHz network, so make sure your phone is connected to that one.

Some of the routers have been shipped out with some defaults wrongly set (ie, the replacement router I received had the 'WPS' function disabled, which is crazy!). Make sure the wifi is working, on the 2.4 GHz frequency, by seeing it is available on a phone app (eg, 'Wifi Analyser'). You might need to download the router's manual, and log on as administrator, and check all the settings are correctly enabled (or press the 'reset' button on the router to return it back to its initial settings).

Finally, you have remembered that the new router that came with your NBN installation has a different username and password to the router used for ADSL? This means you will need to set up the chromecast afresh with your new router, and not rely on the settings you were using for ADSL.

Wayne K.asked

I have just installed the modem to NBN via HFC and now need to use WPS for my solar system connectivity. The WPS light on modem doesn't come on when I push the button on the top for several seconds. I need this function. Is this normal not having WPS on this modem, or a fault?

Cavitation

Hi, there are bunch of reasons why the WPS button is not functioning on your router, but it should work.
The most likely reason is that it has been disabled. Some of the modems shipped by TPG (ie, not the original one that the NBN technician set up, but the replacement one shipped by TPG - for me) seem to have the WPS function disabled!

You need to go into the router's management software and enable the WPS function. Have you looked at its operating manual / User Guide?
Go can get it here =>https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/download/archer-vr1600v/

Section 11.3.2 deals with the WPS system. To turn on WPS, here's the steps (I hope I haven't missed any)
(a) Log on to the modem/router's (ie, use " 192.168.1.1 " in your browser - eg Chrome,
then use the "admin / admin" account and password (check that what's printed on the label on the bottom of the device)
(b) Select the (second) "Advanced" tab at the top, for the advanced functionality, Then go to the "Wireless" tab, and then select the "Advanced Settings" option at the bottom (ignore the WPS option at this time). At the bottom of that screen, there will be a "WPS" option, which you have to set as 'Enable", then 'Save' the change.
(c) The WPS function should then work - but you can test that by going to the "WPS" option. and hit the big 'WPS' button, which should trigger the function, so the 'WPS' light on the modem will start blinking.
(d) while you are on this screen, open the 'Method Two-Pin' option and write down the default PIN number that is shown there - when you connect to some devices (like a wireless printer) that device may ask you for the PIN number of the router - which is this number you see here!

That should fix it, if that's the cause of your problem...
While you are in the router's management software, you can do some other useful stuff...
(A) I change the password of the admin router account (from 'admin' to something unique) so anyone cannot mess around with your settings, if they are able to access the router. (See the manual 12.4 - Go to'System Tools' / 'Administration' and create a new password there - write it down somewhere safe and secret!)
(B) You can change the names of your wifi 2.4G and 5G networks, and give them a memorable name so adding your devices is easier when the network name appears on the list - don't use a name that is identifiable to you or your house - remember everyone can see the network names within wifi range.
(C) Change the passwords for the wifi networks - pick something different to the passwords printed on the bottom of the router! Again write them down, but you can pick something easy to enter, but make it a difficult password, as everybody can see the network, and will try to enter the simple passwords, to steal your wifi.
- The 'Wireless' / 'Basic' tabs take you to these options.
(D) If you have interference of your wifi, you can set the channels your wifi networks are using - the default is 'automatic' but if you find that your neighbours are all on the same channel that you are using, then by changing to a less used channel can fix the interference, or speed up the response time.
- See section 11.3.1 of the manual for this. (The 'Wireless' / 'Basic' tabs again)
(E) Hide the "Guest Networks" SSID if you dont have guests using your wifi (so noone can see these networks)

If you make a mess of this, remember there is a physical 'reset' button on the back of the modem/router that will reset all the options back to the original default. So you can try again, or else give up in a panic (LOL).

Wayne K.

Thanks a lot. Yes I went into the management software and reset and activated the WPS. All good now. Thanks for the other tips too. I pity older, less knowledgeable and computer illiterate people who get this service and modem from TPG, as they would not have a hope in hell of understanding this. Thinking of my 85 year old mother who had to get a younger friend in to set it up for on the NBN. Thanks again. Wayne