TP-Link Archer VR1600v

TP-Link Archer VR1600v Questions & Answers

15 questions from our users

Joe

Joeasked

Can I get a wireless connection to an NBN compatible phone, as my existing phone is some distance away from the nbn connection.

Brian

Brianasked

what is ethernet speed

Rod L.
Rod L.

Specs:

Anulka M.

Anulka M.asked

I just got the router installed today. I tried to conect my Chromecast, I have the message that I need to disable access point on my router to be able to connect my devices

Anyone had the same problem ?

Howard B.

Howard B.asked

Can anyone assist where the firmware for vr1600v for telephone VoIP are located.

The User Guide for the modem/router is here, on the TP-Link Australia site:-
Chapter 5 of the 100+page User Guide deals with VOIP.
But Chapter 12.2 (p 90) deals with updating your firmware - you need to set up an account with TP-Link then log on, and follow the instructions for getting the firmware upgrade, which you can do by logging on as the administrator to the modem management app, (Ch 3 of the Guide) and following the instructions.

Trish M.

Trish M.asked

Cannot cast chrome to tv since changing from adsl to nbn

Cavitation

There are a multitude of possible reasons for this. Have you removed and reset it up on the new router?
Check out this useful set of instructions, for fixing the problem => https://boomerang.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003077234-I-can-t-Chromecast-from-my-Android-device-what-can-I-do-to-fix-this-

However, some possible issues are that the chromecast dongle and your phone need to be on the same network, and the older chromecast models only work on the 2.4 GHz network, so make sure your phone is connected to that one.

Some of the routers have been shipped out with some defaults wrongly set (ie, the replacement router I received had the 'WPS' function disabled, which is crazy!). Make sure the wifi is working, on the 2.4 GHz frequency, by seeing it is available on a phone app (eg, 'Wifi Analyser'). You might need to download the router's manual, and log on as administrator, and check all the settings are correctly enabled (or press the 'reset' button on the router to return it back to its initial settings).

Finally, you have remembered that the new router that came with your NBN installation has a different username and password to the router used for ADSL? This means you will need to set up the chromecast afresh with your new router, and not rely on the settings you were using for ADSL.

Wayne K.asked

I have just installed the modem to NBN via HFC and now need to use WPS for my solar system connectivity. The WPS light on modem doesn't come on when I push the button on the top for several seconds. I need this function. Is this normal not having WPS on this modem, or a fault?

Cavitation

Hi, there are bunch of reasons why the WPS button is not functioning on your router, but it should work.
The most likely reason is that it has been disabled. Some of the modems shipped by TPG (ie, not the original one that the NBN technician set up, but the replacement one shipped by TPG - for me) seem to have the WPS function disabled!

You need to go into the router's management software and enable the WPS function. Have you looked at its operating manual / User Guide?
Go can get it here =>https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/download/archer-vr1600v/

Section 11.3.2 deals with the WPS system. To turn on WPS, here's the steps (I hope I haven't missed any)
(a) Log on to the modem/router's (ie, use " 192.168.1.1 " in your browser - eg Chrome,
then use the "admin / admin" account and password (check that what's printed on the label on the bottom of the device)
(b) Select the (second) "Advanced" tab at the top, for the advanced functionality, Then go to the "Wireless" tab, and then select the "Advanced Settings" option at the bottom (ignore the WPS option at this time). At the bottom of that screen, there will be a "WPS" option, which you have to set as 'Enable", then 'Save' the change.
(c) The WPS function should then work - but you can test that by going to the "WPS" option. and hit the big 'WPS' button, which should trigger the function, so the 'WPS' light on the modem will start blinking.
(d) while you are on this screen, open the 'Method Two-Pin' option and write down the default PIN number that is shown there - when you connect to some devices (like a wireless printer) that device may ask you for the PIN number of the router - which is this number you see here!

That should fix it, if that's the cause of your problem...
While you are in the router's management software, you can do some other useful stuff...
(A) I change the password of the admin router account (from 'admin' to something unique) so anyone cannot mess around with your settings, if they are able to access the router. (See the manual 12.4 - Go to'System Tools' / 'Administration' and create a new password there - write it down somewhere safe and secret!)
(B) You can change the names of your wifi 2.4G and 5G networks, and give them a memorable name so adding your devices is easier when the network name appears on the list - don't use a name that is identifiable to you or your house - remember everyone can see the network names within wifi range.
(C) Change the passwords for the wifi networks - pick something different to the passwords printed on the bottom of the router! Again write them down, but you can pick something easy to enter, but make it a difficult password, as everybody can see the network, and will try to enter the simple passwords, to steal your wifi.
- The 'Wireless' / 'Basic' tabs take you to these options.
(D) If you have interference of your wifi, you can set the channels your wifi networks are using - the default is 'automatic' but if you find that your neighbours are all on the same channel that you are using, then by changing to a less used channel can fix the interference, or speed up the response time.
- See section 11.3.1 of the manual for this. (The 'Wireless' / 'Basic' tabs again)
(E) Hide the "Guest Networks" SSID if you dont have guests using your wifi (so noone can see these networks)

If you make a mess of this, remember there is a physical 'reset' button on the back of the modem/router that will reset all the options back to the original default. So you can try again, or else give up in a panic (LOL).

Wayne K.

Thanks a lot. Yes I went into the management software and reset and activated the WPS. All good now. Thanks for the other tips too. I pity older, less knowledgeable and computer illiterate people who get this service and modem from TPG, as they would not have a hope in hell of understanding this. Thinking of my 85 year old mother who had to get a younger friend in to set it up for on the NBN. Thanks again. Wayne

Gerry

Gerryasked

With theVR1600v which I am very happy with, now I have NBN all has been going well, now I have noticed that the two phone indicators no longer light up,
Although the phones work, I know people say as long as your phone lines work
why worry, but when I look at the router and the lights are not illuminated it's annoying. Regards Gerry

Chrusasked

For those on VDSL can the WAN port be used as an additional LAN port?

Costa P.

Costa P.asked

I have just been connected to the NBN.
Can you connect netgear wifi range extender model EX6150 to Archer VR1600 modem/router .

John K.

John K.asked

How to connect archer vr1600v to smart tv via ethernet cable

Darcy F
Darcy F

plug an ethernet cable into the router and the other end into the TV's LAN port

EHS

EHSasked

I suffer a central nervous system disorder and cannot use wireless whatsoever and can't have it in my home. I use only non-wireless phone, broadband copper cable and Foxtel hybrid fibre cable.

It says that the 2.5GHz and 5GHz can be turned off, Telstra said that their 2.5 and 5GHz could be disabled, but it couldn't and they also had a 4GHz transmitter on their modem.

I do need a safe modem because of my illness.

Cavitation

At the top of the modem there are two buttons, "Wifi" and "WPS" - if you press the wifi button, the wifi system is disabled, and the '2.4G' and '5G' light go out. Pressing again will turn the wifi on again.
Also, you can go into the maintenance software for the wifi/router and turn them off there.

Carolyn F.

Carolyn F.asked

Have recently switched to this device. We are not big users and want to know if it can be turned on and off without causing any damage to the device?

Murali

Hello Carolyn, we used to switch it off every night and never had any issue with the device

Ivor

Ivorasked

The WPS light does not come on when pressed.

Cavitation

On some devices the WPS function is disabled (I don't know why?) For me, it worked automatically with the original device that NBN / TPG provided, but that was faulty, and on the replacement device, the WPS function was disabled. It can be turned on, via the device's maintenance software - see the answer to another similar question in July 2019. It's explained in the device's user guide, that you can get here
=> https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/download/archer-vr1600v/

Divy

Divyasked

Does this router work with any internet service provider or is it locked to tpg only?

Murali

As far as i know its not locked and it should work with adsl and nbn.

Chrus

Internet isn't locked, though apparently voip is locked to TPG.

Cavitation

It will work with any ISP, but you will probably need to change some settings. The device's operating software is able to be accessed for making the changes, see the User Guide that can be downloaded here => https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/download/archer-vr1600v/

At least you will need to update the User account and password for accessing the internet - that data is stored in the device's software.

Tamara E.

Tamara E.asked

How many wireless connection can each band handle?

Bellebee
Bellebee

As far as I know it does not specify the maximum number of connections. The limit tends to relate more to the processing load and memory requirements.

Cavitation

I currently have 14 devices communicating with the device, and they all work. BUT I've had some issues with it - I'm not sure if they are hardware or software related. However the TPG (call centre) technician I spoke with about the problems indicated that that number might be a cause of my problems, so there seems to be an upper limit...

Get an answer from our members and TP-Link representatives