Airbnb

Airbnb Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Airbnb? Claim your listing.
Sonia B.
Sonia B.

Please help. Just moved into a rental near Belmont. Its dirty and dingy. Everything is old and tired. The walls and woodwork are grimy. The rug in the front room is filthy, the kitchen is well past its sell by date as are the bedrooms. The oven hood filters are disgusting as are some of the pots and pans. It's poky and dingy and we are meant to stay here for 3 weeks. I have complained to Airbnb and they have responded saying we should contact the owner. We have given him over £ 2,500 and that's pounds not dollars. I wrote back to Airbnb saying what good would that do? We are trapped here as the owner can't redecorate while we are here and anyway he knew what it was like when he rented it to us so I doubt he cares anyhow. I have looked at online reviews about Airbnb responses and they are not good. We want to get an immediate refund and spend the rest of our precious time here in a nice place where we can have family around without being ashamed. Any advice would be so gratefully received! Is this possible?

NoTigerNoWay
NoTigerNoWay

Put a chargeback onto the amount through your bank. Contact them and tell them what is happening. It may take a while to get the money back. In the meantime find somewhere else to stay. I would suggest a hotel this time.

Kaye B.
Kaye B.

Reviews please for 43 boundary street Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
TIA

Lorena
Lorena

Please be aware that hosts can also have their Airbnb reviews removed if they are bad… do a deep dive in their reviews.

There are good and bad parts of Darlinghurst so also do a Google earth check.

Ask as many questions even if you have made the booking .. get them to answer questions you have before you get there!!

Do not contact owner if you have a dispute !!! Do not attempt to speak to the host if it’s a really bad place take as many photos and contact Airbnb directly!

I’m starting a class action against Airbnb and check the local hotels get them to price match!!!!!

Bella
Bella

Holiday house rented through Airbnb over Christmas break. Couldn't stay due to the disgusting state of the airconditioner, beds, cochroaches and flooding at back door. These are just a few of the issues. Didn't even get back half the amount paid even though we had to leave. How do I get Airbnb to post review? I've sent it through but hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will. I don't want to leave this as it was beyond appalling.

Robyn
Robyn

Airbnb let a known fugitive into my home.
During the stay that this guest was here my property was in the direct spotlight of the Police.
There were parties on the property, many many visitors with endless cars coming & going, they stole a car which they drove to my property, this involved a Police pursuit & also involved my property being searched & the manhole being broken.
They smoked heavily inside the flat, there was drug use & there were many loud instances that were alarming.
Drug transactions were carried out on my property, many cars & people came & went & these have since been identified by the drug squad as wanted fugitives.
This persons' name in (Hidden by Airbnb) shows what she was previously charged for & for that reason I do not want her aware of my correspondence with Airbnb.
The case is in the hands of A Current Affair & I will be mentioning their lack of care with this issue.

Sara123
Sara123

I am from NSW, booked airbnb to stay in Cairns. However, since now (Oct 2021) Queensland border is not open yet, I am not able to travel. According to their Cancellation policy, I can't get full refund. It's extremely frustrating to negotiate with host to get refund and airbnb Helpdesk would only ask you to take the issue to Host, they are not helping and only want to stay out of problem. Eventually, the host agreed to refund 50% to me. But airbnb processed the amount incorrectly, and I have to call them multiple times to make it right. If you have similar experience and want to talk to the same Helpdesk staff to work on the issue, you can ask them to send a message to your airbnb account, you can chat and follow up with that particular staff so you can save time calling and explain each time.

Dave
Dave

There are so many people who have lost money from air Airbnb they seem to have a license to print free money straight from our pockets. Time for a class action.

Amal M.
Amal M.

They shouldn't be allowed to withdraw money from people's accounts without permission, I really want to get to the bottom of this. And get my money back. I don't know who to go to anymore for help.

tessa1200

Totally agree. So many of us are losing money during this lockdown and hosts and Airbnb are making money.

tessa1200

I suggest we all follow Don Santos' link and submit to Fair trade.

Bruce
Bruce

Disclosure - I'm an Airbnb Superhost with a property at Phillip Island. When you cancel outside of the normal policy Airbnb contacts the host and asks how much beyond the cancellation policy (up to the full amount) the host is prepared to refund. WE elect to refund 100% up to the day of check in for COVID lock downs even though our cancellation policy is 5 days.

Airbnb won't automatically refund the service fee but we've assisted guests to get this back from Airbnb. So, although airbnb holds all reservation funds until 24 hours after check in (yes hosts never get paid until then), it really is up to the host to decide whether to authorise a refund irrespective of the refund policy. Best advice: message the host before booking (or at least before the free cancellation date) to ask what they will do in the event of a lock down. You'll then have something in writing, and will get a good feel for the host's intentions. I'm really sorry not all hosts are taking the best approach. For us kindness works (and the majority of cancelled guests can't wait to rebook with us when they can).

JeanC123
JeanC123

A lot of Airbnb's have serious safety issues. Deadly floors, power overloads, unflued gas heaters and exposure to deadly fumes (Europe), dangerous yards, being extorted for parking fees, premises not secure to name a few. Airbnb properties are under the radar for Council health and safety regulations, unlike permanent rentals. What can be done about this?

Sona
Sona

I think we must take our complaints through Council everytime. I want to raise this issue with government authorities as well to being it to their notice how these agencies are violating government obligations and making no efforts to change their policies under such extenuating circumstances. Any leads?

Victoria
Victoria

Why Does this company not reply to any reviews? I certainly will be taking my issue to small claims after reading the reviews

Dianne D.
Dianne D.

They remove negative reviews together with host responses. Totally unethical!

Razzle
Razzle

They certainly do remove adverse reviews. Happened to us in Mandurah WA. Absolutely disgusting and unethical as you say.

Redrose
Redrose

For your service fee is it $278 per reservation or for a group of 10 people?

M Andrews
M Andrews

The service fee was $593..... That is what they kept when I cancelled 6 months in advance!!! Strict cancellation apparently...
So annoyed....

Help please
Help please

Hi all, having same issues with everyone here regarding verification Ids when trying to book place to stay. Has anyone deleted their profile without have to provide your Id to verify that's actually you who say you are? Please help as Aibnb help is of no help. Never Airbnb again.

James B.
James B.

Anyone can advise if it is ok to book Airbnb (without any reviews in Airbnb app)?

Pamela
Pamela

Hi James,
You can always contact a host prior to booking and ask questions, leading questions. Everyone has a first, right? Look at the date the host joined. If they joined recently, that could explain the lack of reviews. Also, examine the photos carefully. That last comes from someone who did not :) but should have.
Good luck and travel safely.

positivespirit1
positivespirit1

Airbnb accommodation is not checked by the company for authenticity. What you see may NOT be what you get so be aware that it is questionable about outcome for the guest. Until Airbnb register ALL accommodation with Councils and they inspect the properties annually, try to look on Trivago/Booking.com/Expedia and then ring accommodation owners DIRECT.

debjmak
debjmak

Air bnb is dreadful, grabs your money and avoids refunds during a worldwide pandemic. Do not use them, book direct with somebody else (rental company or hotel/ booking .com with no cancellation penalty)

wm_shi
wm_shi

I booked before in Australia and paid by my credit card issued from China with AUD.

Why it charged me CNY the recent time?

I can't find the currency setting as the airbnb help says.

Who can help me?

Travel Bug
Travel Bug

Has anyone advertised a room to rent on airbnb? I have a room to rent out and thought it mite be a good option. Have you had any issues?

Medusa
Medusa

No sorry.

robins60
robins60

I have recently listed our self contained 'Studio' on Airbnb! The site was really easy to post a listing on and changes to the posting are easy to achieve. Almost straight away we received two bookings....one we had to decline because accommodation had already been let for that date, but the other we accepted, and the booking went smoothly. We were paid online into our nominated bank a/c within two days of the service being provided so, to this point I have no complaints with Airbnb.Bring it on I say!

Belle
Belle

Yes, I have been an AirBnB host for more than three years. Due to illness which went undiagnosed for a few years, I had to do something to keep the roof over my head so AirBnB was a Godsend. Having said that...lol....I don't recommend this option to everyone. At first, a few years ago, guests were always nice, always respectful..then something changed and I think it was a combination of competition from other hosts, the fact that more people were using AirBnB for accommodation and AirBnB's advertising - which encourages people to simply take over someone else's home!!! Alarming. That's what they do these days. More and more 'rubbish' guests have been showing up in my home and now it is hit and miss. The other night someone I thought would be perfectly okay, turned up drunk then within an hour broke my porcelain toilet lid....

Be careful, be clear with what you offer, price it right (higher, not lower, cheapskates usually don't look after other people's things.) I have also found that if your listing is within the reach of people who, due to international exchange rates, feel they are paying a lot but can still afford your listing, you will be run around like a servant and expectations are high, for very little in return by Australian standards.

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Airbnb? Claim your listing.