Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors

Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors Questions & Answers

51 questions from our users

Ilanyasked

I’m interested in starting the diploma of counselling, but would like to know if I can work as a relationship counsellor with just this diploma ? (I have a bachelor in psychology as well)

Kelly Hunter
Kelly Hunter

I don't see why not. AIPC have a brilliant graduate diploma in relationship counselling program, being that you already have a Bach in psychology you would qualify. I would give them a call and have a chat.

Teresa G.

Teresa G.asked

I am thinking of enrolling in the diploma of counselling however after reading the above comments, I am concerned that there will be no work. My understanding is that you have to start with the diploma to be eligible to do your masters etc.? If what people are saying is correct even when you have your masters etc. You will not be able to apply to be able to registered for people to claim back through their health funds unless you are a psychologist which is 5-7 years of study? Is that correct? I believe there is a big difference between what counsellor s do to psychologists do and I had felt better about being a counsellor than a psychologist. Now I’m questioning if I am doing the right thing.

Keva C.
Keva C.

Accredited mental health social workers (4 year degree plus accreditation through the AASW) are also able to bill through Medicare.

Libby W.asked

I am interested in starting the Diploma of counselling and would do this part time. How many hours per week would I need to set aside for each of the 18 units?
How long can you take to complete the Diploma?

Dr_Sp1ttl3
Dr_Sp1ttl3

Hi Libby, I balance my study around my weekend hours as I work FT and do school runs plus housework - so it's chipping off the units consistently in whatever time bits are available to your personal circumstances. In broad terms, I commit about 3-4 hours of study every weekend, but prefer adjusting to ensure quality over coverage. If I get some ad hoc free time, I bunker down to do more. On average, you can get theory, additional reading, assignment and assessment done within 3 weeks per unit, but tailoring to adjust to your other daily responsibilities is the name of the game in the long term.

What I found is this approach gives me less pressure and motivates me through small wins. Sometimes you just got to do life and be flexible. Speak with the student office and they can help you too with good tips/guidance even before you enrol. Generally they encourage you to finish it under 3-4 years depending on how soon the school updates their syllabus to ensure the diploma reflects current standards and meet the profession's expectations. I'm definitely planning to wrap this up within the year because I want to start practising soon in real life. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

Libby W.

Thank you so much for this advice. So handy to hear from people who are currently doing the course. All the best as you continue your studies this year and hopefully finish the course. Thanks again

San.A

San.Aasked

I am thinking about do Bachelor of counselling,but bit doubtful about placement during course. Do you arrange placement for students?

AJ1962

I'll say this, most employers prefer a psychology degree. You can make up your own mind on where you go from here. Investigate the two ie. b. couns. or B. Psych. Sc. Investigate employment opportunities. It is amazing how far the right degree will take you.

Sheri W.

Sheri W.asked

Has anyone done the Masters program? Wondering what your experience was, how you enjoyed the content and what registrations you were able to qualify for as a clinical counselor

Gen p.asked

Hi
Can you please assist with the following;
Can you get registration and start your own practice?
Can your clients claim back on their health care or Bulkbill?
kindly email me on [contact details removed]
Much obliged.

Tynan
Tynan

Yes you can register with Australian Counselling Association and start your own practice. As for health funds that depends on you and how you operate. Some counsellors can provide services linked to health funds.

AJ1962

This course diploma can be used to fulfil the entry prerequisite at many universities, but so can any diploma from a VETAC or other state government training organization's approved course list. Medicare rebates are only available to practitioners holding a bachelor or higher degree. It is what the government has legislated. About all you can realistically do with a diploma is become a member of the Australian Counselling Association (ACA) and start your own private practice. I have not known anyone gain employment from a company with a diploma, employers generally prefer (and often demand) a psychology degree, such as the Bachelor of Psychological Sciences. The AIPC diploma is a good course with great content, but has its limitations when seeking employment.

The university I chose to study with recognized the diploma and it reduced my undergraduate Bachelor of Psychology from 3 to 2 years, so I will finish my studies a year earlier.

Dominic
Dominic

Which university is that ? Pray tell.

KPR

KPRasked

Does anyone have any feedback on the Perth training provider - support etc?

Josephhine

no, sorry, I am in Victoria.

Heatherasked

Everyone seems to enjoy the AIPC courses, but who has got an actual counselling job out if it? Or started up their own counselling practice? Thanks

Josephhine

I plan to start my own practice in the new year.

Heather

Thanks for the answer! Can you get registration? Can people claim back on their health care?

Gen p.

This's a great question (especially the 2nd part) (thank you Heather.
Can you get registration? Can people claim back on their health care?
Can anyone assist with an answer?

Harry S.

Harry S.asked

Hi, I want to know the differences between diploma of counselling and diploma of financial counselling in terms of: (a) employment opportunity, (b) income potential, and (c) opportunity to run my own counselling practice. Thank you.

Harry S.

Harry S.asked

Hi, I saw very little review about AIPC diploma of financial counselling. Is it because it’s not a popular study? Can anyone comment about the employment opportunity of diploma of financial counselling as compared to diploma of counselling? Thanks. Harry - Perth

Pete D.

Pete D.asked

Hi there!

Any Bachelor of Human Services students got any information about the work placements? How many hours are required from your placement, over the course of how many weeks, and is it flexible??? I’m a full time worker, and won’t be able to take more than a few weeks off at a time to get the placement done.

Any information would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance!

Kalyani

Kalyaniasked

Hi, I would like to apply for the Diploma of Counselling and I’m wondering if I can get Government Fee help. On the application, it doesn’t give this option.

Louise F.

Louise F.asked

Hi, Has anyone completed the diploma of counselling as an entry way to second year university? I'm looking to use the diploma as a pathway to 2nd year entry for a bachelor of arts majoring in psychology, and was hoping this will allow me to do so? After speaking with a couple of universities a common theme was requiring a graded diploma as apposed to competency based.

Adam W.
Adam W.

I completed the diploma of counselling and it was a good course and it does get you credit into some universities. However it will not get you a job as employers want a psychology degree and experience. It costs a lost of money and I believed employment would come at the end of it , how wrong I was.

Anna
Anna

hi Adam, what type of job's have you been applying for and have not been able to obtain due to the diploma.
thanks

Marleen

Marleenasked

Hi there, I’m looking at enrollling in the Diploma of Counselling and just wondered for those that have completed this course, have you been able to find work in this industry. Really keen but just want to make sure it’s beneficial. Thanks

Amanda

Amandaasked

Hi, I’m looking at enrolling in the Diploma of Counselling and was wondering if someone could give me more I go on how the course contents are delivered. Is it similar to uni where you get your text books but also do research online? What reading material is included and how comprehensive is it?
Would appreciate your feedback and more info on the course. Thanks

Zijiao xu
Zijiao xu

Basically it’s like. I like the learning materials which are helpful. And they come with additional readings too. U can also call the trainers for help if needed. Good luck

KristineC
KristineC

I found the learning material very comprehensive and additional material was up to date. You can wonderful support from the trainers. Good Luck with your study.

Gemma S.

Gemma S.asked

hello i can see you also offer diploma in youth work, is that also as accredited as your counselling course? thank you

FrodoBaggins

FrodoBagginsasked

I'd love to become a member immediately. I really like the professionalism especially the pacing of this particular course.

There are offers sometimes for special prices but they all are for upfront payments if there was a good offer for a payment plan I would join immediately.

I am more than happy with the credibility of this organisation and the accreditation of this organisation it's just that I'm waiting for a good offer to join. I'm hoping that a good offer for people who want to be on payment plan appears if not I just have to keep waiting.

But this is the organisation I would join if I wanted to do a diploma of counselling.

Disni P.

Disni P.asked

How about masters in AIPS and recognition????

Eleni Kiriazis

Eleni Kiriazisasked

Graduating from Australian Institute of Professional counsellors in counselling can be capable to work professional as a counsellor and be registered in Australian Association of Counselling a getting a medicare registered number?
Because already I have been graduated from ICI in counselling and psychology to perform professionally is a need to take the CHC51015 course to achieve that?
Do you have this specific course?

Subha S.

Subha S.asked

is there an employement oppurturnity with 1 year of diploma of counselling??

Get an answer from our members and Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors representatives