Dulux Aquanamel Gloss

15 questions from our users

Peter

Peterasked

Aquanamel Gloss

I built a wall unit and used Aquanamel gloss to finish. The MDF surface was already very smooth and after using Dulux sealer/undercoat I sanded meticulously. I diluted the Aquanamel with 100ml/L water as suggested and sprayed the first coat. ( 28psi using gravity feed gun with 1.4mm nozzle). You advise 20 minute touch dry and >4 hours re-coat. After 24 hours I sanded and recoated. The finish is OK but not brilliant. However the surface has remained tacky/sticky. After a few days of drying I put the unit in warm sunshine to try and complete the drying. It has improved a little, but remains sticky. It is dry to the touch but when the doors (also sprayed) stay in contact with the carcass they stick together.
I want to 3rd coat but feel I am wasting my time and energy. Not to mention ending up with a poor result after weeks of careful construction.
Is there a solution?

Renee B.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Peter! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), quote ticket number 317120 and they will be able to answer all of your questions! The Dulux Help & Advice Team.

Tony S.

Tony S.asked

Aquanamel Gloss

Can this be used on flooring

DuluxGroup A.Dulux

Hi Tony, thanks for your message. Dulux Aquanamel Gloss is not formulated for use on floors. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any product advice, and our Tech Team will be able to assist you with some recommendations for your project. – The Dulux Team.

Danielle Snelleman

Danielle Snellemanasked

Aquanamel Gloss

Can u paint Dulux aqua enamel over enamel under coat

DuluxGroup A.Dulux

Hi Danielle, thanks for your message! It really depends on a number of factors, do it would be best for you to speak to our Technical Team, who you can reach by calling 13 25 25 (Option 2)! Otherwise, please feel free to send us a private message with your contact details, and we'll call you! - The Dulux Team

Tibor
Tibor

Nikki H

Nikki Hasked

Aquanamel Gloss

Our woodwork has been painted in oil based paint. If I sand lightly, can you use a water base acrylic undercoat & top coat with high gloss oil based?

DuluxGroup A.Dulux

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, XX! We’d love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The Dulux Team.

Fedupppp

Feduppppasked

Aquanamel Gloss

What preparation is needed to paint high gloss aquanamel over a high gloss oil based paint?

Russ
Russ

Lightly sand the oil based paint 120 grit then use dulux one step prep water based paint to undercoat. This will prevent any discolouration do 2 coats minimum followed by one or two coats of aquanamel gloss. You may need to lightly sand with 120 or 240 grit between coats.

Lesley

Lesleyasked

Aquanamel Gloss

Do you need to undercoat after sanding lacquered timber, prior to painting the surface with Dulux Aqua Enamel?

StephDulux

Hi there Lesley, thanks for your question we'd be happy to jump in here and answer for you. Once the timber is completely sanded back, we recommend you coat with Dulux 1Step Prep. Using a quality prep coat with great adhesion can reduce the likelihood of issues occurring for the top coat. A paint with poor adhesion is more likely to pull from the surface after a knock or abrasion. For more information please call our Help & Advice on 13 25 25 and they can help you along the way - The Dulux Team.

Lee

Leeasked

Aquanamel Gloss

Hi I went to a few bunnings to purchase a semigloss aqua enamel paint with ultra bright and blue base but after visiting 3 bunnings failing to find a 1 litre I was convinced by the sales person to purchase the gloss and they only have a 2 litre. SHe said the gloss isn’t as glossy as the oil base.
I usually avoid gloss if I could. I have used the semigloss and have really loved using it. It’s smooth, good consistency and don’t see the brushes strokes too much. Now I bought the gloss. I really hate using it. It’s thicker, showing every brush strokes. Hate the shine it gives a cheap tacky look. Is there anyway of turning the gloss to semi gloss. It’s such a waste of money. Any suggestions?

Al

Alasked

Aquanamel Gloss

Hi. I’m using aquanamel and it’s going well over old enamel. Sand, then oil based prep coat, then 2 coats of gloss. Just need to be very wary of the thickness of the aquanamel and keep it a bit thin. My question, does work and last well on exterior doors?

StephDulux

Hi Al, glad to hear you are happy with your project using Dulux Aquanamel. Aquanamel Gloss is suitable for Interior & Exterior projects so will work well on your exterior doors for a durable, chip resistant finish. If you have any questions along the way please call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25, or hop on our live chat online - The Dulux Team.

Jill P

Jill Pasked

Aquanamel Gloss

I have applied one coat of aquanamel gloss on doors and it is showing brush marks and looks uneven. I tried a roller but wasn't happy with that either. I read here not to sand it and just apply a second coat. My question is, what kind of roller or brush should I use? Saying good quality means little to me. I used what was recommended to me at Bunnings (NZ) and unhappy so far. I'm hoping to selvage the project without having to buy a different paint. I'm loving the colour (Punchbowl Falls) but not the finish. Please help. Thank You

StephDulux

Hi Jill, thank you for reaching out with your question about Aquanamel Gloss. So that we can help you achieve the best finish, if your reaching out from NZ, please contact the New Zealand Help & Advice team on 0800 800 424. Your Ticket Number: 109152. Kind regards - The Dulux Team.

Joey

Joeyasked

Aquanamel Gloss

Can aqua enemal be applied to laminated cupboards and what prep work is needed?

Caitlin O.Dulux

Hi Joey,
Thanks for your question. Yes you can use Aquanamel on laminated cupboards with the right preparation. We recommend using Dulux Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer to prep your laminate before painting. This prep coat allows you to paint non traditional surfaces including laminate, tiles, glass and PVC. Check instructions on pack before applying. If unsure along the way, check in with our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25.
Kind regards,

Judith C

Judith Casked

Aquanamel Gloss

I have bought Dulux Aquanamel Full Gloss to paint my bathroom architraves and doors that have been previously painted with gloss enamel. Do I need to sand them before painting and also do I need to apply an undercoat/sealer before 2 topcoats?

garthDulux

Hi Judith,
Thanks for the question. If you are painting very hard surfaces, we advise to sand the surface to a dull finish. Old gloss oil based enamels in particular become very hard over time, making it more difficult for the next coat of paint to stick to. If you need any more help, our Help & Advice team is available on 13 25 25 to help you with any of your questions.
Happy painting!

Bear

Bearasked

Aquanamel Gloss

1 just accidently put Dulux Aquamarine over Oil based enamel on my metal door frame will it be ok or should I try and take it of with Mentholated Spirits it has dried now by 4 hrs.

Caitlin O.Dulux

Hi Bear,
Thanks for your question. Dulux Aquanamel can be applied over prepainted surfaces including oil based enamels. The main concern is surface preparation. An oil based enamel on a metal door will be a hard surface for the pant to adhere to, so we do recommend a sand being painting. That being said, Dulux Aquanamel does have good adhesion properties so unless you have seen some issues, I would recommend to leave it. If you are concerned, the Dulux Help & Advice team is a great resource to talk to, available on 13 25 25.
Good luck with the rest of your painting project!

Kerry

Kerryasked

Aquanamel Gloss

I am painting a very small bathroom. As I have an almost full can of Aqua Enamel Gloss I am keen to use it on the walls and ceilings. Any issues with using it on the ceiling?
Kerry

Adam HiltonDulux

Hi Kerry, unfortunately we would not recommend Aquanamel for this use as the high gloss level will show up every imperfection on the wall and ceiling. We would recommend using Dulux Ceiling White +PLUS Kitchen&Bathroom as it has Mouldshield® protection and superior opacity to provide excellent hiding power.
Dulux.

Hawka

Hawkaasked

Aquanamel Gloss

I have leftover Aquanamel paint that was used 5 or 6 years ago, it has been stored and I was wondering if it's still OK to use now and if the quality will still be good?

Adam HiltonDulux

Hi,
In general, the paint will be OK provided the paint has not been stored in a hot environment i.e. a garden shed, the paint can is not overly rusted (potential contamination) and the lid has been closed properly (potential thickening and/or dried up paint if not closed correctly). If you require any additional information please contact Dulux Customer Service on 13 25 25.

Chasasked

Aquanamel Gloss

Is an undercoat required when painting over existing Dulux Aquanamel in good condition with Aquanamel?

Haylot
Haylot

I wouldn't if it was sound. Just clean thoroughly.

painter
painter

No you dont need a undercoat to paint over any sound paint, infact you don't need a undercoat in most raw wood painting but it helps for. Colour cover and spreading

Chas

Thank you for the advice, I thought this my be the case.
Kind regards
Chas

Get an answer from our members and Dulux representatives