Elgas Questions & Answers

bodo
bodo

I changed to Elgas because the previous supplier stopped delivering gas.
I already had 3 bottles before ordering 2 bottles from Elgas. A couple months
later I had to pay the service fee. Now if I want to stop getting gas from them and stop the service
charge one has to return the bottles. Surely Elgas don't expect me to return bottles
I already had.

Ozwelder
Ozwelder

Elgas don't appear to understand the meaning of service.
Our story is similar to Nicola,s

We just ran out of El gas tonite 13th Jan.2024.

This is the second occasion in seven years.

I checked my past invoices and the last fill was March 2021. Elgas are so regular in sending Mtce invoices (whatmaintenence) but forget the basic gas delivery.

There is another supplier here in Mackay and I have made online enquiries about change over.

I recommend changing to some other supplier.

Jennifer M.
Jennifer M.

I have been with Elga's for 8 years last time they were to deliver they told me I need to cover my vents so gas would not leak under house. What about my ventilation for under the house?

nicola
nicola

When did Elgas stop coming to your home to refill large gas bottles automatically without contacting them for an order. We are in Launceston. We ran out over the long weekend and now have to wait for 4 days before the truck is in our area. Where is the service, not happy having a cold shower and no gas for cooking.

Anthony L.
Anthony L.

Just want to know what the "maintenance fee is"? What on a gas bottle warrants an exorbitant fee for "checking"? We've had 2 large bottles for over a year now and will probably only need them replaced in a year's time..but will have to pay 2 lots of "maintenance fees" for something that hasn't been looked at or touched in 2 years????

Elgas   DM

Hi Anthony, Thank you for the enquiry.

I have just sent you a direct message to get some more information so we can assist further.

Anne S.
Anne S.

Same experience. We only use a bottle a year and now I am thinking of replacing the cooktop with electric just to be done with these turkeys altogether. "Maintenance fees" - what a joke. Extortion, in my view. Amazing how this is even billed without any checking or maintenance occurring!! Oh, and the prices have doubled in the three short years I have been with this sheister company. A classic case of having people over a barrel and charging whatever they like...

Jill G.
Jill G.

I’m told that being a pensioner we can get a rebate on gas according to Services NSW

Elgas   DM

Hi Jill, Thank you for the enquiry. In regards to government rebate please refer to government website in order to claim the gas rebate.

Natasha
Natasha

Had two bottles delivered in December, fir the house but now have a invoice for $94.60 for January when I've had a look on my online account its got Fac $94.60 what does this mean ? Why am I being charged for January and I didnt order anything in January

Elgas   DM

Hi Natasha, Sincere apologies for this - I have just sent you a direct message to get some more information so we can investigate further.

Alicia

Is it common that Elgas are taking the full bottle rather than the empty bottle when people are reordering?

Dhaval P.
Dhaval P.

Yes they are..

Alicia

They just told me it’s very obvious by weight an empty vs full. However I have 2 empty bottles and got a new bottle delivered in April. You do the math Elgas!

Julie D.
Julie D.

Ordered a 45kg gas cylinder to be delivered today as empty last night..no heating
Phoned prior to closing to ask what time is delivery, to be told that I am on tomorrow list for delivery..imagine if I had to cook, shower and put heating on, it's freezing and we are in lock down in Broken Hill, I have health issues..looks like to bed early, as I have electricity..why do we get serviced by a Victorian business..not happy and very cold
Oh they could have arranged an emergency delivery for extra charges, yet it was before 5pm my time

Matt
Matt

Just so happens I thought it occurred a 2nd time for me, only a couple weeks ago. I thought I still had an empty bottle after the delivery man finished.
I just spoke with a friendly Elgas team - actually I am in error. The hot water test proved me wrong..but the cylinder feels very light, but I confirm it is definitely FULL (cold all the way to the near top).

So hot water test folks - you may be surprised like me!

Peter d54

Is it true that changeover bottles are not filled completely?

Jon
Jon

I’ve heard the same thing, I do know you got to watch them as they like to charge you for 2 bottles

Neil A J

Peter, I cannot answer your question as exchange 45kg cylinders are filled by weight.
My only suggestion would be to pour boiling water slowly over a "Full" cylinder and then feel the difference in temperature of the cylinder. The steel will be cooler at the liquid gas level and warmer at the vapor level.
This would give you an idea if done on a few "Full" cylinders and can be used as an indication of how much liquid gas remaining in a cylinder. Regards, MM

Peter d54

If that’s true it would suggest that they are filled until the scale reads a certain weight and then the filling process is stopped. I find that if I get mine refilled at a filling station they are heavier. So that is why for the same price you get more gas when you have them refilled while you watch. Would this then be the same with large bottles at home. Should I have them refilled by a tanker instead of getting a replacement? Only problem there is I have to rent 2 bottles which then costs more.

Elgas   DM

Hi Peter Michael M is correct, 45kg exchange cylinders are filled by weight. Please also note that gas bottles should never be filled to 100% of capacity - they are designed to be full at 80% gas bottle level or just over 3/4. This is a safety design to allow for the natural expansion of the gas during warmer temperatures.

Kind regards

Peter d54

So, that being said, would I get more gas if the bottle is filled while I watch and it is filled until it “overflows” starts expelling gas via its whatever gas valve? I guess my logic that 45 kg should mean 45 kg is illogical. They should be called big bottles and small bottles then.

Elgas   DM

Hi Peter There are two things to note - firstly, the bottle shouldn't ever be being filled until it 'overflows' - that would mean there is no safe room for expansion during warmer temperatures. Secondly, with a refill bottle you are charged (usually by litre) for the gas filled into the bottle, but with exchange it's a per bottle rate.

We'll be in touch via direct message to give you more information.

Kind regards

Peter d54

Ok, if filling the bottle till it overflows is unsafe then how is it that every gas bottle I have filled by a refilled whilst I watch overflows. Are they illegally filling the bottle? Is it unsafe? How do they have a liscence to fill them? Should I report them? Why are gas bottles not blowing up?

Neil A J

Peter, your 9kg gas bottles are designed to say overflow when full.
The valve assembly is not just a valve as it has what I would call a dip tube into the bottle. When you cylinder is full the liquid gas is expelled and you 9kg cylinder is 100% full (9kg) There has to be a void at the top of the cylinder (20%) as this is to allow for expansion of liquid and gas and is also a safety factor.
With LPG when you use the gas from the cylinder the LPG actually is boiling, giving you a vapor gas when the pressure released from the cylinder. You will also note on a 9Kg cylinder the vale has a grub screw which when opened is to as to allow the cylinder to fill. If this is not opened the cylinder will not fill as it vents any gas as the liquid fills the cylinder.
From mu memory LPG boils at minus 44degrees Celsius.
If you look at the valve on a 45Kg cylinder there is no grub screw as they are filled differently to your 9Kg and therefore are weighed to 45Kg,
A simple way to check a cylinder when full is boil a kettle of water and pour slowly over the top of the cylinder in the same location and let the water run down the cylinder.
Once the water all used feel the steel from top down.
Where the steel is warm or hot there will be no LPG in that section. When the steel is still cool that's your LP Gas level as a liquid.
Regards, M

Peter d54

Thanks michael m. Thats the best explanation ive got from anybody. And i think that finally answers my question. However if i get a changeover bottle it is much lighter. They have told me they dont fill the bottles as they have to be transported. I will continue now to have them filled in front of me and continue to get more gas.

Hi Peter,
That's crap saying they cannot transport full bottles. The trucks carry dozens of cylinders for their deliveries.
It is your call but I would be thinking seriously about another supplier such as I did after 30 years with Elgas.

FYI a neighbor of mine came up to the Elgas truck collecting my empty cylinders' after I changed retailers and she asked the driver if she could get a delivery now as I have no gas for my hot water service
Reply was "No" as I only carry what I need for my run. Phone in your request in but you will have to wait a week until my next run. So she now has no hot water for a week in winter....great customer focus Elgas
She is changing retailers when her rental is due at the end of this year.
Regards M.

Peter d54

Michael m. Here is what i was sent when i asked my supplier why my changeover bottle was underweight.
The weight is always under. If you have had one filled by a tank, they fill to the top. Swap and go fills are never full to the top for safety. They only advertize 8.5kg. We have asked our elgas supplier for clarification, and they said that weights can vary due to gas cylinder thickness as well. No money will be refunded on any future purchases of gas from us.
Regards lyal eales.
So beware. Get them filled while you watch and they will be at least 1 kg heavier than swap and go from elgas.

Linda G
Linda G

Do i have to pay up front for my gas?

Elgas   DM

Dear Linda G, Depending on your account set up yes, upfront payment may be required. For the best answer for your personal situation it is best to call 131 161 and you will be connected to your local branch.

Elgas

Get an answer from our members and Elgas representatives

NEW SERVICEFind the right energy provider

Compare, switch and save all in one place

Start Now