Origin Energy

Origin Energy Questions & Answers

190 questions from our users

Bill W
Bill Wasked

I have just received the most bizarre and incomprehensible invoice with adjustments going back over the past year and barely an explanation as to why the changes have been made or if there’s been an error. All my previous accounts must have been wrong apparently due to “interval reads adjusted” . All made worse for me because I’ve declined buying a battery based on analysis of the last years accounts. Somethings amiss and Origins communication isn’t clear, smacks of trying to quietly resolve past errors. So frustrating and I have no avenue to lodge a complaint, I am just prompted to ring to speak to a “ friendly customer service “ and I know they’ve been trained to bat away responsibility. I’d like to see the origin management ( GM retail who signed off on the brief explanation ) actually explain my extensive bill. Cheers from a very frustrated customer (rarely complain but when it feels like I’m being misled I have to raise it) . Bill W

Oldsalt
Oldsaltasked

Recently advised of an increase to your gas! A few days later advised of a decrease of your electricity. The gas increase is greed and your alleged reduction in power is a magicians trick! You reduce power a cent and then reduce the solar feed in tariff a couple of cents whilst at the same time increase the daily charge, yea power went down, but everything else went up! You must think your customers are idiots!!!

Darren G.
Darren G.asked

Why after having Intellihub metering on behalf of origin confirm that my solar is in fact sending almost triple the amount of power that I have used back to the grid but my app still shows zero feedback.
Why is it when I call origin day after day I can never speak to the person in charge of my case.
Why didn’t I get my solar installed by Bobs backyard solar installation, I believe a back yard job would be more professional than what I am receiving from the so called energy experts that are currently taking my money.

miranda k.
miranda k.

Because they choose to think their customers are idiots and would settle for a mediocre service. I have transferred to a community based service with great reviews and ratings. Not the 1.9 ratings this circus has. Dump this awful service.

Victoria Z.asked

Why does origin keep so much customer credit without contacting customers to adjust bills sooner? With over a year in advance credit?
A good way to steal customer interest profits.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Victoria, all customers have the ability to obtain a refund of their credit at any time. Thanks - Kirk.

Tamz40
Tamz40

That’s a lie origin! I’ve been trying to get a refund and the system is ridiculous! It’s taken me longer to get my refund from you than it took me to earn the money in the first place. Maybe integrity needs to be added as one of your companies values, because it’s definitely not displayed in your employees actions!

Victoria Z.

Hi Tamz40, in talking about my mother's account. The only way she could get those funds down was to change her account with reduced fortnightly payments. Ridiculous procedure and have never heard of any other company holding money like this. Each time in seeing this balance was a surprise for my mother. Not once have they said we will refund you in full,,,, its her money?.
Kirk needs to be clearer on the word refund??? And maybe look at his own Origin account and call Origin to see the procedure. How long seriously are they prepared to hold onto thousand's of dollars of (hard working and retired) Australian citizens

Lynette L.
Lynette L.asked

How do you get your bill cancelled when you read the meter yourself and obviously made a mistake and get it read again properly by a Meyer reader

David

You no longer need to send meter readings once you’ve got a smart meter?

Origin E.Origin

Hi Lynette, please email us supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your details so we can look into it for you. Thanks - Mick.

Anonymous762asked

Hello Everyone,
Please do not use Origin Energy for gas. The gas department ripped off my family by a number of thousands of dollars between 2014 to 2019, by making up false gas readings a number of times. We had a number of letters from Origin Energy saying: You are using 55 percent more gas this year. You are using 60 percent more gas this year than last year. We both knew that this was not true.

When I rang up and complained about the false gas readings, the lady Origin Energy serving me just said: "You are using more gas." This we knew was not true.

Origin took advantage of my family member, an elderly, trusting, vulnerable person, who was scared of change. He only changed companies, after they were nasty to him and I many times, and I pressed him to change companies. I rang the ombudsman twice to complain about Origin's terrible treatment, and spoke to Origin's customer service who rang me back afterwards, but I still could not resolve the issue.

We were very good customers, always paying on time, polite and friendly to Orgin. We never provoked the Origin staff, and we were still treated in a horrible way.

I found the Origin energy staff customer service staff manipulative, patronizing and uncaring towards my family member and I.

We also experienced theft from the electricity department of Origin in 2009 to 2010, when we had bill smoothing. They made up false estimated readings when we had bill smoothing that were much much higher than what we were using, about 30 to 60 percent higher than our actual usage. I do not recommend bill smoothing, as if you do smoothing Origin may make up an estimated inflated usage. The electricity department of Origin Energy was not as bad as the gas department, but we still .experienced theft of money from them too.

Origin Energy gets quite poor feedback in Canstar energy reviews for both electricity and gas over the last few years. Origin comes down at the bottom out of ten supposedly best providers, or quite close to the bottom in Canstar energy reviews. Roy morgan institute listed the big 3 energy companies including Origin, as 3 of the least trusted energy companies in Australia in 2020. Also, Roy morgan listed Origin energy as one of the least trusted energy providers in WA in 2018.

Origin truly is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with.

Dama
Dama

Thanks for your review. I was thinking to join their 12 months plan, but after seeing all the bad reviews and yours too, I am now hesitant to join them. Will still consider but more careful . Will seek some friends’ opinions. I am an 80 years oldie and have no energy to fight with nasty energy providers.Thanks.

Anonymous762

You are welcome. Good wishes with your decision.

Mossimo
Mossimo

I agree, they are partly owned by the Chinese Communist Party. I have money owing to me but they will not refund!

Jeanasked

Can’t find my bill in email

Jean

Can you resend my bill so I can pay it thank you

Origin E.Origin

Hi Jean, please email us on supportsocial@originenergy.com.au with your account and contact details and we'll send through another copy of your bill for you. Thanks - Vanessa.

Mark J.
Mark J.asked

Where is account reference ID on power bill please

Dhiraj
Dhiraj

Look for Account number on the bill

Origin E.Origin

Hi Mark, you'll find your account number at the top of your bill on the left had side in the box 'Your account details'. Thanks - Vanessa.

HeatherWasked

Where does origin get its energy from does it use renewables ?

HeatherW

Does origin use renewables eg wind farms solar etc

David

According to there website they use coal, gas, plus renewables from wind & solar
Hope this helps

Origin E.Origin

Hi Heather, you can find info on our renewable energy via our website here; https://bit.ly/3aiTcHD Thanks - Vanessa.

Caleb
Calebasked

I have recently received a bill from a long time ago. I didn't continue with origin after I moved out of this residence due to the terrible service. I have read online that I cannot be issued a backbill over 9 months old. Is this correct? The bill doesn't say the date I am being charged for but was issued yesterday and is meant to be paid in a week! Is this an error or a scammer posing as origin? I know I was paid up when I left. I would love to save my self the hassle of going through an ombudsman to deal with this.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Caleb, sorry to hear about the bill you've received, especially if you left the property quite some time ago and there are no dates listed on the bill. We'd like to check this for you, would you be able to forward of copy of that to us on supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, along with your account and contact details? Thanks - Vanessa.

MegC
MegCasked

My origin app dashboard has my cost to date, cost per day and predicted bill. Cost to date states $294.49 with my billing period ending tomorrow (Aug 5th) predicted bill is $302.30 yet when I press usage on the app it says charges so far are $335.14. Curious how there is a $40 difference between the two sections in the app. Want to know what my bill should come through as tomorrow when billing period ends and I receive my bill.

Origin E.Origin

Hi MegC, the usage section only shows your usage and supply charges, including GST. The predicted bill section will include any discounts and rebates, so the amount will usually vary depending on your plan and/or concession. If you bill period is set to end tomorrow, your bill will be issued shortly after. Thanks - Vanessa.

katrina D.
katrina D.asked

i think it's at least the 3rd time that Origin has messaged us that they don't have access to do an actual reading to our meter. Hence, they can't fix our bill. Note: We live in an apartment
this has has been a back and forth conversation for months now that they don't have access.
I find this weird because they already did an actual reading before.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Katrina, sorry for the trouble getting your meter read. So that we can take a look into what's causing this issue, please email this review to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, along with your account and contact details. Thanks - Vanessa.

Margaret O'K
Margaret O'Kasked

I live in country NSW, today our temperature was 8 deg. so naturally I was running my air-con. I am an Asthmatic and required to use a Nebulizer a number of times a day. This afternoon when I was using my Nebulizer the power went off, no notification from Origin Energy that there would be a power outage and leaving me in a panic of not being able to continue my medication. I phoned Origin Energy 4 times, submitted all my information 4 times and was put on hold for at least 25 minutes in total and hung-up on one call. This could have been a life or death situation all because of lack of communication. Absolutely appalled with Origin Energy. No Point in trying to phone or use the web site because both are absolutely useless.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Margaret, we're incredibly sorry to hear about what happened yesterday. As a retailer, we don't manage outages. That's your local distributor however, we'd like to make sure we have your account updated with any life support info so that we can pass that onto them and make sure you're informed on any further planned outages. Please email this review, your account number and contact details to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au so that we can get onto this. Thanks - Vanessa.

Samantha
Samanthaasked

I have been trying to get in contact with the right team regarding a credit default i received from this company. may calls and chats later online i have also sent in a letter with no reply. I wasn't aware of this default, this account was paid in full. Im sick of wasting my time trying to get answers, im just wanting you guys to fix the issue and get it removed off my file

Origin E.Origin

Hi Samantha, really sorry to hear you're having troubles getting in touch with the right team about this. Not to worry, we can get the team to reach out to you. So that this can be arranged, can you please email us with your Product Review to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, along with your account details? Thanks - Jen.

Not pleasedasked

I have the Origin Energy app and data has been appearing 2 days after usage, which was expected. We have just had solar panels installed and the meter was configured for FIT on Tuesday. As of yesterday (Thursday) there was still only data up to Monday showing. Today, even that has disappeared and only data to last Sunday can be seen. Is this normal?

Origin E.Origin

Hi there, this can be normal following a new meter installation. Once the current billing cycle has concluded, you should see this return back to normal. Thanks - Harry.

Not pleased

Well that’s disappointing. Thanks for your quick response though.

Not pleased

My app shows that my bill should have been sent around 26/5 when the period ended. It has been saying that it will be sent within 2-4 working days for about 1 1/2 weeks. I was told on the phone this morning that technical problems are preventing the bill from being sent out. This makes no sense to me. Is this true or is something not set up correctly?

Adriana B.
Adriana B.asked

I can't believe that my electricity bill went up by $100 in the last quarter!
Any reasoning for this.

Because people at the top have an insatiable appetite for profits and they outsource AUSTRALIAN jobs and I think shareholders are also foreigners. Everyone is financially taking advantage of us. If electricity was affordable like it used to be we would have money left over for important expenses...maybe afford a haircut. Rich people are greedy and always have been. Someone needs to step in and stop it. Government sold us out to privatise electricity. Shameful.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Adriana, we'd be happy to look into your bill for you. Please email this review and your account and contact details to supportsocial@orignenergy.com.au so that we can help out. Cheers - Vanessa.

Phil
Phil

Since my earlier “Terrible” review where I described how Origin Energy were repeatedly billing us the the estimated electricity supposedly used after Energex had long ago removed the electricity metre, Origin Energy has pestered me at least a hundred times with reminder phone calls for estimated impossible electricity usage.
The only way to stop this appears to be to change our much-loved phone call.
If we are forced to abandon my current phone number, then we will become very angry.

Pat Z.
Pat Z.asked

Are your people still coming into the yard to read the meters.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Pat, as a retailer, Origin don't employ meter readers. This is done by your local distributor. Depending on where you're located, they may or may not be completing scheduled reads at the moment. If you'd like us to check for you, please feel free to email us your account and contact details to supportsocial@originenergy.com.au. Thanks - Vanessa.

Lea Andrews

There people are all based overseas with limited English! I'd cancel your agreement and Google them next time you make this mistake, should save you the pain of Origin

BeccaJasked

If the smart meters are sending our information back to you every half hour or so, why do we need to have a meter-reader come out & physically read them every 3 months...?

Origin E.Origin

Hi Becca, if you have an active smart meter, then a meter reader isn't required to attend the property every 3 months. If you have a digital meter and the meter is still read each quarter, it's likely that it isn't capable of sending usage each day. Thanks - Vanessa.

BeccaJ

Ah ok - so if I got the meter installed in November 2018, would you know if that be a smart meter or a digital...?

Origin E.Origin

Unless you're in Victoria, it's likely it's just digital. We can check this for you if you'd like? If so, please send this enquiry through to us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, along with your full name and account number - Vanessa.

JMVH
JMVHasked

I am very annoyed and disappointed that after giving you my name, address, phone number, my Origin Account number etc; that after nearly two hours I have gotten nowhere with paying my account. I realised soon after I entered my present email address( which has been the only email address for at least four six months) that you hadn’t updated my email address on your system. You spent ages this evening ignoring my new email address that I kept entering, by scrubbing it and insisting on repeatedly entering the out of date email address? The simple remedy to this problem(as customers usually know their own email address) was to to send a code to this new email address. If you received a response back(problem solved).
Unfortunately these days most domestic customers don’t get taken any notice of, only if their account is overdue. I have spent over two hours on this , and as I was due to go out an hour ago, I am not at all happy. I will not be rushing to pay this account tomorrow either. This evening a text message to me, about email addresses would have sorted the problem of not updating your system. It also seems strange that when I usually pay my gas or electricity account you don’t ask for my email account.
Thanking you
Jacqueline.

Origin E.Origin

Hi Jacqueline, we're really sorry to hear about the troubles you've faced trying to pay your accounts. We'd love to be able to assist you further with this. So that we can get to the bottom of this once and for all, can you please email us on supportsocial@originenergy.com.au, with your Product Review and account details? Thanks - Jen.

Lea Andrews

Ombudsman loves these guys they almost have a whole team just to deal with Origin complaints! I'd run like the wind

Tony G.
Tony G.asked

I would like to know why I can get no response , to a request , that, our business Lpg, deliveries are made using the purpose built access, driveway to our storage tank , and to stop your vehicles destroying our property, photographs available,

Origin E.Origin

Hi Tony, this sounds very concerning and we'd really like to get to the bottom of this. So that we're able to, could you please send an email through to us at supportsocial@originenergy.com.au (feel free to send any supporting photographs) along with your account and contact details (and reference to this message), and we'll take the steps to ensure that this is put to an immediate stop. Thanks - Kirk.

Lea Andrews

Sorry there call center overseas is sending LPG via canoe! About 4 months you should be good (Google them)

Get an answer from our members and Origin representatives

Other Energy Providers