OVO Energy Questions & Answers

Shane
Shane

We are new customers with OVO and on the EV plan between 12 to 6am, do we need to provide OVO our cars VIN numbers as we have not been asked for them?

Charlie D.
Charlie D.

I'm not OVO Shane, you will need to contact them for an answer.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Shane, We request your registration number when you sign up; if we can't locate details about your car or validate that it is an EV using this, then we will request further information including your VIN.

We also monitor consumption on site, to make sure that the energy signature and timing of usage is aligned to that of an EV, and if not, will reach out for further information / evidence etc.

Hope this helps, but let us know if you have any further questions,

The OVO Team

JKRider
JKRider

Good Morning, I have recently moved over to OVO Energy and I was startled to find out that a credit enquiry was done on my file without this been advertised as the norm when switching to OVO. Surely this should be advised up front?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi JKRider, thanks for reaching out. It does state this on the website when signing up to us. It is stated on the details page (url is: external link  - note, you'll need to actually get a quote, and then click through to see that page populated correctly). It's then under the section where we ask you for a form of ID, and it reads:

We use this information to complete a credit check. Please note repeated attempts to sign up may result in multiple footprints on your credit record. For more information, see our Privacy Policy.

Hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks, The OVO Team

Kewyn G.
Kewyn G.

Why don't you contact the people who are trying to resolve issues. Nothing but blind siding. You say your billing it set but in actual fact the debit is a set fee but the outstanding amount is accumulating in the background. Misleading a joke. The fact I received 5 bills in one day is an absolute mess. Sort your system out.

Katto
Katto

Ive been trying to call you can you get someone to call me in regards to connecting maybe with you

Gay S.
Gay S.

Iam not a power company.
Dont use avo it is a rip off
You can never get through
They never reply to your email
They take money out of your account without telling you
My bill was higher with them than my previous power company
A month later iam still trying to get my refund from them

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Gay S. Thank you for trying to answer this one for us. Looks like you've not answered the question appropriately, so we'll try to address that. Katto, without more information we won't be able to arrange this for you. You can send a message to us on here directly, instead of a question, and we can see what we can do. Thanks, The OVO Team

Tom H.

Are you currently offering any plans that have a post pay option? The only ones obviously visible on your website offer bill smoothing and it seems that’s it. Correct me if I’m wrong?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Tom, right now, we're not offering any post-paid offers; I've also just answered your question on the other thread. Thanks, The OVO Team

s clifford

I have a question about our ovo energy account

OVO Energy   DM

Hi There, I can see you've asked it on the other chat, so I'll mark this one as resolved, Thanks The OVO Team

s clifford

I need to discuss my accounts with ovo I have signed up for three accounts and have only received information for two Would like to have a discussion over the phone but am having difficulty with someone answering my calls I expect better service from your company Thank you in anticipation Scott

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Scott, we're experiencing very high call volumes right now - but we're doing what we can to keep up with the demand. We really appreciate your patience. I'll see if we can locate you on our system, based on the information you've provided, and find out when you're likely to receive a response from the team. If you want to provide more detail on here, you can, but I'll try and hunt this down for you now. Thanks, The OVO Team

Dale C.
Dale C.

Question re: bill smoothing - if at the end of the year we have over- or under-paid, will the balance be settled at the conclusion of the contract?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Dale, it really depends. If you stay with us, then things to just continue. It's likely that if you're underpaying or overpaying, we will have contacted you before the end of the contract and suggested a direct debit review. You can also request this at any point. Your bill smoothing arrangement will just continue, for as long as you are with us on a bill smoothed plan.

If you leave us, obviously any balance needs to be settled. We will issue you a final bill and then either pay out any refund due or collect the debit balance. Hope this answers your question, Thanks, The OVO Team

Swk

Today is the due for connection. When will be connected?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Swk, the distributors have up until 9pm to switch it live, so any time between now and then. We will automatically send you an SMS once it's live. You need to make sure that the mains switch is in the off position until we notify you that it's live. I believe one of the team has just replied too, Thanks, The OVO Team

Swk

Still has not been connected. Omg

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Swk, I'm going to close this one out, as I believe everything was connected. You should be able to manage your account yourself online at my.ovoenergy.com.au, but any further questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact the team on 1300 937 686, via webchat on the website or email at hello@ovoenergy.com.au. Thanks, The OVO Team

Swk

Connection has to be done today. But I haven't received any response from the company.. I sent plenty of email.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Swk, from your previous message, it says: "Connection date is 4th of August." I can investigate further, but just wanted to check this point first.

Swk

Asked them connect today instead. They confirmed and no response at all until now.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Swk, we're experiencing incredibly high contact volumes right now, and doing everything we can to stay on top of requests, I'm sure the team will respond to an urgent request. Typically though, the distributor has up until 9pm to connect the site, so it may not occur right away, and you'll need to wait until 9pm at the latest. Thanks, The OVO Team

LeoRX
LeoRX

Hi, it seems switch.ovoenergy.com.au is not working.
are you not taking on new customers at this stage?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi LeoRX, We are taking on new customers, but may not be able to support your meter / network tariff code. If you can send over more detail we can investigate further for you.

Swk

Hi, I kept sending the email to ovoenergy. When can I get a reply?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Swk, we're experiencing really high contact right now, due to all the price changes occurring in the market and customers switching to us for a better deal. I can take a look for you, see where you are in the queue, if you can provide your account number or email address, or if you have more general query unrelated to your specific account, I may be able to answer it for you on here.

It's currently taking us 24-48 hrs to respond, but we're getting back on top of things and we're hoping for normal service to resume within the next week or so; usually we reply within 24hrs.

Swk

I applied the ovo energy a few days ago through through Econnex electricity website (Reference number : 1691210108).

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Swk, looks like you're near the front of the queue, so should receive an update shortly. They'll need to pass privacy questions with you first, so unfortunately I can't easily answer your query here. Thank you for your patience. The OVO Team

Its me

I'm interested in changing over to Ovo energy. I live in Northern NSW. I'm wondering about the free smart meter options and would like to know how you calculate the estimated usage costs for the monthly bill. I have dramatically decreased my usage in the past six months. I'd hate to move to another provider only to find that I'm going to be charge at my higher suage rates. thanks

Mark
Mark

I have kept usage & feed in records for the past 4/5 years by monitoring my provider & Powercor data. I also have solar hot water which helps reduce C-Load usage. With records I am then able to annualize my Peak, Controlled Load and Feed In figures to estimate the associated costs with any provider to access their best plan. I also factor any credits or concessions to nail and comfortably manage my monthly direct debit amount. OVO predicted with "bill smoothing" $65.00 per month, using my figures and their charges, rates, feed in tariffs, credits & concessions I reduced this to $45.00 monthly. Hope this is of some help. I don't know about free smart meter options.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Both, Thanks for helping to answer this one Mark!

You can adjust the DD amount when you sign up with us, and also later on too, if we can see that your usage and solar export mean you should be paying less / more. Below is a full breakdown of how we estimate.

We offer four options when you sign up via switch.ovoenergy.com.au for you to use:

1. The initial estimate is taken from the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) and forms our "Medium case", if we can't find the data (which is very rare) then it will default to the default usage for the distribution zone (this comes from the Australian Energy Regulator).

Since we don't always have access to the Solar data, we will be able to see that you have solar at the property, and include an estimate here, but you can change this in option 4 if it's too high or too low.

The AEMO data is based on the past 2 years of usage at the property for that specific meter, so any recent changes won't necessarily have filtered in.

2. High case from that initial estimate

3. Low case from that initial estimate

4. We also give you the option to enter your own usage and Solar export - to impact the quote. If your circumstances have recently changed, then this is the best option for you. You just simply select "Enter Usage Manually" option from the Home Usage dropdown.

We regularly monitor customer direct debits, and you can also request a direct debit review at any point in your contract, if you think you're paying too much or too little. We also pay you interest on any credit balances, and if you're on any of our bill smoothed plans, we won't chase you for debit balances if we can see that your direct debit over a twelve month period will still cover your usage.

With regards to the free smart meter, yes, you can request this at any time; we're really keen to upgrade as many customers as possible, since this will give both of us access to more data and we can make sure everything is accurate and up to date for your statements. The easiest way to do this is to request this once you've switch over and we're the financially responsible retailer for your supply.

Hope this helps, The OVO Team

Its me

Sorry just one more thing - I tried to sign up and it put me on a waiting list. How long is that supposed to take? Thank you

OVO Energy   DM

Hi There, Apologies, we're in the process of changing that page so that it gives more information to the customer.

Historically we've used that page to help us better plan and deploy new tariffs to the market, but since we've now got nearly 100% coverage for all the meter / tariff combinations, it's much less relevant.

There are typically three reasons why that page is shown:

1. Your property is located somewhere we don't currently retail energy. This is mainly only true if you're in ACT, TAS, NT or WA. It can also be true if your property is located in certain areas of QLD.

2. Your meter / tariff combination is one that we don't currently support. We service nearly 100% of meter and tariff combinations in SA / QLD / NSW and VIC, so it's unlikely to be this one, unless you have an interesting configuration or are on an unusual network tariff.

3. You've failed a credit check or we're unable to access your credit information because there's a block on the account.

Hope this helps to answer your question, and we're in the process of changing this page right now to help future customers too.

Joe.R

Hi, regarding the first 4000kWh per year feed-in tariff. How is that measured? Do you pay out the first 4000kWh used in the year then drop to the lower rate or do you calculate it per month (333.3kWh per month)?

Mr and Ms John and Wendy
Mr and Ms John and Wendy

Hi Joe, haven't got a clue, as after 9 months since we signed up we've never received a statement and have been unable to contact them. All they have done during this time is take an estimated amount out of our account, even though we know meter readings have been taken by the electricity provider. It's much more than expected as we have top-line solar panels. We've just ditched them and now waiting to see how they reconcile the money owed to us. If it all looks suss we'll take it to the ombudsman. Read the other negative reviews, we are all being treated the same - unsure if it is all a rort.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Joe, it's the first 4,000kWh per year. After that, it drops down to the lower rate for the remainder of the year. At the end of the year it resets. Thanks, The OVO Team

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Mr and Ms John and Wendy, we'd be really happy to investigate your issue further, please send through an email to e-complaints@ovoenergy.com.au and we can look into it immediately. If we've received meter readings from the distributor, you should have received a bill. Generally speaking, it's always easier with a smart meter, and we do install these free of charge. However, on this occasion it does sound like you've already made your mind up and left. Sorry to see you go, Thanks, The OVO Team

SRH
SRH

OVO has not given me any usage data for 4 months now. When asking customer service, the guy just basically says ‘oh yea the delay is happening, if you dont like it, then switch provider mate’

What is going on!?

Carl A
Carl A

Most energy companies have increased their prices on July 1 but some are waiting until Aug 1. Which camp is OVO in? July or Aug? I've obtained a quote on your web site which is cheaper than my current provider who has increased from July 1 but I dont want to switch and suddenly find the price went up at OVO in Aug.

Jon
Jon

I am wondering the same thing, their website is silent on this matter.

Paul C.
Paul C.

I just signed up.
Electricity rate reviews are done.
No increase in August

OVO Energy   DM

Hi All, we'll give you a full breakdown. Victorian prices on the website are fixed until August 2024, so if you've signed up after 1st July 2023, you'll get those rates until August next year.

If you're in QLD, SA or NSW our rates for new customers also changed on 1st July, if you've signed up since then / plan to sign up now the rates are as shown. We have no plans to vary these in July or August of this year. However, in these states it is worth noting that these rates are variable, not fixed.

We've already communicated a price change to our existing Victorian customers; this change impacted any customers who had signed up to us before 1 July 2023, and takes effect 1st August 2023. If you were a customer before this date, you'd have already received an email back in late-June.

Martin

This Bill Smoothing feature which you so proudly present everywhere is the only reason which stops me from switching to OVO. In the last five years, since we installed Solar PV on our roof our house has always been energy positive - it produces more electricity than we purchase back. Even if the purchase price of kwh is much higher than the feed-in tariff we always end up in credit (getting money from the provider). I don't expect any change in our electricity usage.Now, if we switched to OVO we would be immediately charged every month a totally random sum (estimated by OVO) via Direct Debit even if we should actually get paid. That's perverse. It's like being charged for money in a savings account. I can get my head around this. Who came with such a stupid idea? If you ever change this policy and start charging your customers exactly what they use AND pay them for what they produce then it would probably make financial sense to switch over to OVO. Atm the Bill Smoothing is a show stopper for me. From other reviews here it's clear that your customers are not happy with this kind of billing.

iamagirl1969
iamagirl1969

Not sure what your point is here Martin...........you are deriding OVO energy, but at the same time, you have given this company four stars. I am confused???

Torreslobelo
Torreslobelo

Maybe, it's worth to read Martin's comment(thoroughly) rather than focusing on the number of⭐. He clearly states that OVO''s business model does not make sense and I agree... it's a very very flawed pricing model!

Martin

I'm not aware I'd given OVO any star rating. Where do you see my rating?

Sunny
Sunny

I don't get this comment. If bill smoothing doesn't work for you, which I can understand as you use solar, just pick another provider. For loads of us, the bill smoothing is the main reason we're with ovo.

Michael S.
Michael S.

Like Ben, I have solar and have been in credit for the last thirteen years. Now I also have an EV which has increased my electricity consumption by roughly 40% and the Ovo EV plan looks a winner for me. But I still expect to be in credit over the year but have a small bill in winter. So the bill smoothing feature will not work for me.

Joe.R

I just checked their “get a quote” page and it clearly has an option to pre-pay or post-pay. Pre-pay offers a 5% cheaper rates.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi all, that's right. We offer both options, on all of our plans (including Solar and EV). If you'd prefer to post-pay you can, thanks, The OVO Team.

Tom H.

Is this still the case? I’ve just been having a look on the website and all the quotes mention bill smoothing but none seem to have the post pay option? That’s a deal breaker for me if so.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Tom, we've recently taken down our post-paid options to new customers. The only options available right now to new customers are the pre-paid bill smoothed options. Thanks, The OVO Team

Ben W.
Ben W.

Im not connected with you guys. But you are sending me bills and a disconnection notice.
Ive never spoken to or even heard of ovo until the bills started coming in

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Ben, Have you recently moved into the property? If so, then it's likely we were the retailer for the previous tenant. You'll need to identify yourself to us and the easiest way to do so is via hello@ovoenergy.com.au or by sending your details through via a direct message on here.

If not, then we will need to investigate further - are you able to direct message us your details, or send an email through to hello@ovoenergy.com.au,

info
info

Do they also provide gas

OVO Energy   DM

Hi There, Right now, no, we don't offer gas.

We do have licences to do so in NSW and VIC, so watch this space!

Zilch

I'm in talks with OVO over how exactly their rewards credit programme works. Despite being in credit, I'm still paying the same as the initial estimate. I've been in talks to an agent over email and were simply not getting to the issue at hand.

Of I'm being offered a discount for the next bill, then why isnt the withdrawal from the bank lower for the coming month? Does the credit accumulate? Do I get it back at the end of the year?

Atm, it looks to be a farce.

Donna K
Donna K

I believe they change the payment amount the following year to account for this. At least this is what has happened with another utility provider where I have ended up in credit.

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Zilch, Thanks for your question, (and thank you Donna for your answer too! You're not too far off; we keep an eye on things throughout the year, and will contact you if we need to make an adjustment.)

With our bill smoothed energy plan (The One Plan) you are correct Zilch, the same amount is debited each month irrespective of your account balance. When you sign up, we forecast exactly what we think you'll use over the next 12 months, and then charge you 1/12th of that amount as a monthly direct debit. The idea is to reduce the chance of bill shock; you'll pay the same every month, and as long as our forecasting is close to reality, you should end up with a zero balance. If you are in too much credit, then we will obviously pay you a refund - there's no issue there.

Whilst your payments will be the same, your usage varies throughout the year, so sometimes you'll be in credit with us, and other times you'll be in debt - at the end of a full year things should even out. Anytime you have excess credit at the end of each month we provide you with our 3% interest reward on the balance - this is just our way of thanking you for keeping your account in credit and rewarding you for your loyalty. We'd be happy to assist further, if you'd like to contact us directly on 1300 937 686, via email or webchat. The OVO Team

Zilch

I was told that you guys would pay me back the credit (including referral and concession) after a set period of time. When's the earliest that these can be released?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Zilch - we can review your direct debit arrangement as soon as 3 months. Upon review, we offer a number of options such as decreasing your direct debit payment, pausing your payments, providing you with a refund. If you'd like to talk to us about your account further please contact us by phone, email or webchat, or alternatively you can manage your account directly via my.ovoenergy.com.au. The OVO Team

Darek M.
Darek M.

For last few years I am always being paid (net) by electricity retailers. It varies depending on plan but remains within $500-$2000 per year. In such case - would you setup smoother payment for me over a year to pay me every month the same amount?

OVO Energy   DM

Hi Darek, unfortunately not. All of our plans require you to have a minimum direct debit payment set up. The OVO Team

Get an answer from our members and OVO Energy representatives

NEW SERVICEFind the right energy provider

Compare, switch and save all in one place

Start Now