Stihl MS 180

Stihl MS 180 Questions & Answers

MiniBoss, Easy2Start MiniBoss
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

10 questions from our users

Buck
Buckasked
MS 180

Has anyone but me had trouble with chains stretching so much can not tighten them on ms 180 and didnt do a lot cutting either ?Have gone through 3 chains and they aint even half worn out. My old 025 stihl saw could run the chain until wasnt any thing left to sharpen and never stretched to the point I couldnt tighten it.

Graeme2900
Graeme2900

I have used a lot of different chainsaws including MS180 and I have found 2 things about chains
1. They will stretch if blunt and can quickly lose their edge if allowed to cut on dirt or dirty timber.
2. Cheap chains stretch very quickly always use good brands like Stihl, Carlton, GB, Husqvarna & Oregon

Need more oil?

A L.
A L.

All chains stretch over time. New chains will stretch for a period until they're run in too. But most causes are (1) Overheating due to teeth being blunt, but more importantly your rakers may not have been filed down properly causing over-revving and minimal tooth contact, if you get a burning smell or the wood you have cut has slight burn marks, that's the problem. If the wood chips flying from the saw are nice big chips, then all good, but if they're small, sawdust like chips, it ain't cutting and biting into the wood real well. An important part of sharpening is every 5th or so times you file the chain, file the rakers about 2-3 light strokes with a flat file. Saw teeth lose a little bit of depth affecting the working corner of the chain each time you file them, so it's imperative to keep the raker depth in check. The factory depth is about .6 of a mm. I grind the rakers down to to 1mm on all my new chains, and on some of my saws I grind them down about 2mm below the tooth height for a very aggressive cut on softer wood, but you've gotta know what you're doing and be careful of kickback doing that though. You can buy raker guages online for next to nothing too. (2) You're cutting dirty wood, self explanatory. (3) Not enough lubrication. Use a good oil in the oil tank, make sure it's getting oil to the bar and onto the chain and the oiler hole in the bar is not blocked with sawdust or dirt...or on the other hand, oil leaking down the bar near the spike which is a sealing problem ....To check for proper oiling of the bar and chain....Start the saw, hold the tip of the bar close (about 3" away) from a white surface (side of house/shed etc) rev the saw up to full noise and see how much oil splatters on the white surface. It should spray a nice pattern of oil (not too much) onto the surface as it flies off the bar. But the biggest reason for chain stretch is el-cheapo cruddy chains, they're actually dangerous as they break at the rivets often, as well as stretching and loosing their edge quickly ....I only use Oregon chains, they are the ducks guts. Cheers and good luck with it.

Ben A.asked

Hi,
I’m looking at getting a saw for general household use, but also want to cut some slabs from some 500mm diameter hardwood as a one-off.
Will the 180 be up to the task if the time taken isn’t an issue?

Mudman
Mudman

It won't cut slabs Ben. It'll cut cookies off the end with a bit of practice and a sharp chain, but It'll bog down on slabs.

Thanks very much!

Michael P.
Michael P.asked
MS 180

What is winter and summer shutter?

Rob
Rob

Never heard of it..can only assume choke when cold and no choke when hot..
I asked at dealers and he didn't know..

Robin Y.
Robin Y.

Icing of the The carburettor can happen below about 50°F. There is a sliding shutter between the carby and the head. It can be left open over 50° but is suggested if you drink below that that you have that shut it closed. It is a little vertical slide.

Richard S.
Richard S.

Had my stihl 180 since 2002
Still a great garden saw , starts ok , when you know how
Oil pump half working, but still cuts fine, considering it is nearly 19 years old.
My universal chain saw!
Have a Husqvarna 346xp for forest work, and heavey work

Love mine

Mykl
Mykl

You can not beat German engineering and manufacturing for the price.
Most reviews here are either one or five stars.
One star means you do not know how to use or maintain your chainsaw ... Read the manual.
Five stars mean you are one switched on cookie.

Here Here.

MS 180

My new profile pick is of thin saw.
Yes i bought one! Love it

Should I get one?

tom kinkel
tom kinkel

Hi.As my recent review was positive about the MS180 I would say ,yes! But let me say if you live bush or own a farm and want a pro saw - I would suggest spending more money and get a farm boss etc .I used the MS180 2 days ago for a couple of branches that fell in the neighbors yard and I am more than happy with my purchase.Best wishes Tom

JAM

Don't do it. It is a toy. You can prune a bit, but get into anything significant and it is useless. I flat out ditched it and bought a real saw.

Bbrrrr

Hi tom kinkel, I did buy one. I bought it because I bought a husqvarna 268 which is 68cc bigger, than a farm boss. I bought this because I need a small cheep pruning saw because my 009 has almost died. It will only do small soft wood.
Thanks for your answer!

Tashi D.
Tashi D.asked
MS 180 Easy2Start MiniBoss

Is stihl ms170/180 chainsaw for beginers?

Should I get one?
Second hand or brand spankes
You tell me?

Bbrrrr

Yes and no, it’s a small saw but pros can also use it. It’s just not as heavy duty as others this size that are made for pro’s

JAMasked
MS 180

Why do you bother with a warranty when a saw stops working twice within first 8 hours of use? Service providers won't honour your warranty. I was an arborist - know how to use a saw. Bought a cheap one as I only needed to clear some small trees around my house. Couldn't even handle that.

Sorry, that's for the Stihl MS180

angie
angie

The problem wasn't stopping twice, once running the saw performs very well. The trouble with them is a reluctance to start. It has an usual start procedure that leads to engine flooding VERY quickly and once flooded the plug will need flame cleaning and the combustion chamber needs evacuating using compressed air. The manuals don't explain that very well.

Jimbo

Best asking the manufacturer and not a product review site.

Snow
Snowasked

How to adjust mixture?

Try this

Rick
Rickasked
MS 180 Easy2Start MiniBoss

Hi the chain on my stihl minni boss won't cut Just starts smoking and burning the wood when I start to cut chain is sharp can you tell me why is this happening?

Cab
Cab

Chain may be too tight on the bar, this will cause it to heat up and smoke. Or The teeth on the chain may not be sharp enough to cut the wood. Or the depth gauge on the tooth has not been reset after sharpening, this will cause it to smoke. Other wise try another chain.
Hope this helps.

Grant H.

Depth gauge not low enough.

Stihl MS 180