Subaru Outback

Subaru Outback Questions & Answers

3GEN, 4GEN, 2GEN, 5GEN

37 questions from our users

graemeasked

Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2021)

I am a very happy Subaru owner during the last 12years and during the last 5 years a 2015 3.6 R premium outback. This car is outstanding and easily the best car i have owned in approximately 50 years of driving various makes and models. The Outback has a great power to weight ratio, superb driving / handling characteristics, comfortable, able to handle reasonably serious off road conditions, has a great Harmon Kardon stereo and lots of nice tech ( do yourself a favor and check out the spec,s on this vehicle )
Another great attribute with this Outback 3.6 R is it runs on ordinary 91Ron unleaded petrol. the best economy I have achieved is 7.6 litres per 100kl,s. It is not to difficult to achieve around 8.4 to 9.5 average with sensible driving.
I have recently considered upgrading my Subaru Outback to the newest model, a bit more refined, more power maybe ,upgraded tech, suspension and so on. Not a big ask for Subaru. Wrong ! ! ! Very wrong.
Trying to get real information about the new 2021 Subaru Outback is akin to pulling teeth, however I believe the new model only has a 2,5 litre engine and ( your kidding us ) no turbo available. The crazy part is they have increased the tow value from 1800 KG,s to 2000 KGs. REALLY.
Subaru, you may have known what you were doing, but what were you thinking. you have made a major blunder ( in my opinion) by robing your customers of owning a Subaru with decent, safe power.
It appears that to own a 3.6 Outback now the 2020 model is the last available. Very sad. So, get onto the car sales websites, have your money handy and buy one . you won,t regret it.
Graes

Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Graeme, Thank you so much for your review. We know that there is a great appreciation for the 3.6R model in the Outback. While it may not be an available option in the new Outback, we're constantly working with the factory in Japan about future possibilities for us. We recently released specs and pricing on the 2021 Outback which you can check out here but there will be more to come as we get closer to its release in March. The Subaru Team.

graeme

Thanks Subaru Australia for your reply. I look forward to Subaru Japan having a light bulb moment and re-introducing the 3.6 engine or similar in 2022 . We should not be limited to underpowered smaller engines that do not cut the mustard, especially when towing/overtaking. People will pay a premium price for a premium vehicle / engine combination.
I hope we get the goods in 2022.
Graes.

Melanie S.

Melanie S.asked

Outback

Does the new model come with a 7 seat option?

tinkertoy
tinkertoy

No, not this one. I don’t think Subaru has a seven seat option, at least in Australia.

MansfieldJohno
MansfieldJohno

Jolene Cathrine M.asked

Outback 3GEN (2003-2009)

Im looking at buying a 2007 Outback D/Range MY07 with 165k on the odometer. Will mostly be driven around town, with an occasional bush road drive to go camping, gold detecting, fosicking. Will have my mechanic inspect before I buy, but is there anything I need to watch for? Thank you.

Linda Maree
Linda Maree

I’m sorry I’m unable to answer this question

M M
M M

Hi Jolene

We had an older Outback (2001/2002 from memory?) and prior to this an even older Subaru 'wagon' (didn't have a model name) so not too sure about the 2007. A couple friends of mine had the 2007/8 though and they, like us, kept driving theirs until the cars' old age.

We loved our old one so much. So solidly built and we felt safe in it. We do most of our driving around town - inner city and suburbs. The bush road drives were nice and we never felt like it would let us down (unlike the new electronic ones). It had an amazing (Irving?) bullbar fitted on the front and was a dream to drive away and for long distances.

The only thing for us is as it aged and did higher Ks on the clock, the value decreased so much and when it came to a major service and inevitable replacement of some operational engine parts (can't remember which one/s) but it became too cost-exhaustive, around the same amount as the whole car was worth. So that was the only thing that got us to buy a whole new car. Prior to that, not much went wrong or cost too much mechanically.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

Alan

Alanasked

Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2021)

The power and torque figures of 129kW and 235Nm under details are incorrect for the 3.6

Robert M.

Robert M.asked

Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

I have a problem in engaging AWD on 1998 Outback. Does the mechism seize through non use.
There appears to be an oil leak from the rear end of the transfer shaft

wisernow

Subaru has a full time AWD. So how does it disengage ?

Robert M.

Robert M.asked

Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

Can't engage awd. Does it seize up through non use?
Appears to be leaking oil ay rear end of transfer shaft.

wisernow

Outback engines are not as tough as would be expected. Best to dump the car.

Liam B.

Liam B.asked

Outback 3GEN (2003-2009)

Am looking to buy an example with 200,000km. What are some things I should be looking for?

Roger

I have never been a fan of REALLY high mileage cars. Nothing lasts for ever. I would look for an extremely well maintained vehicle that has complied rigorously with the service book with evidence of money spent like invoices. Check out the Subaru forums and ask those guys as there a lot of high mileage Subarus on there. In the meantime have it independently inspected on a hoist and keep fingers & toes crossed!

Deb Wraight

Deb Wraightasked

Can you replace a broken 2016 Outback double fog light with a single bulb

Subaru Australia
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Deb, Thanks for getting in touch! We recommend having your double fog light replaced with a genuine Subaru double fog light only. The Subaru Team.

Kerry Fasked

Outback

I was going to buy a Subaru Outback but after reading these reviews and lack of response from Subaru, think I’ll go with Toyota RAV4. Thanks Product review.

Roger

Hi Kerry, I bought my Outback new in 2013 and she has not missed a beat since. They are not the fastest cars in the world but they are totally practical and in my experience very reliable. If they have one fault it is that the dealer servicing is relatively expensive. I have my car serviced at a Subaru "specialist". After 80,00kms I am looking seriously at the Hyundai Santa Fe but you should do well with a RAV4 as the reviews on the current model are very good. However they are on 6 month delivery at the moment. Don't forget that these forums tend to attract the squeaky wheels who will complain about any niggle. My car is still on its original tyres and my overall fuel consumption is indicated at 7.6litres/100km. Good luck, either car should be a good buy, just stay away from the Europeans!

Kerry F

Thanks Roger, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

clive turner

clive turnerasked

Outback

why is it necessary to remove the child seats from subaru outback for the 125,000 kms service?

keith l.asked

Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

My friend purchased a 2003 Subaru Outback that has been in New Mexico at 5240 ft. altitude the entire time. Now ,when he attempts to drive it to a higher 8424 ft. altitude it stalls out. Once I come to clear the engine codes it runs until he drives back to the higher altitude. The codes read rich and lean fuel in three cylinders, misfires , and high temperatures. Is there a high altitude program that I can download to his car that will help this problem ?

keith l.asked

Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

My friend purchased a Subaru Outback that has been in New Mexico the entire time at 5240 ft altitude. Whenever he travels to a higher altitude ( 8424 ft. ) the engine stalls and wont run until I clear the engine codes. The codes listed misfires with lean and rich on 3- 4 fuel cylinders at different attempts to go from lower to higher altitudes along with high temperature codes. Any clues as to which senors are causing this? Is there a high altitude program available that I can download to his car? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you R. J. S.

Lancia
Lancia

I suggest trying YouTube to get answers regarding that!

keith l.

Thank you Lancia. I hadn't thought of that.

AJ B

AJ Basked

Outback

Am considering buying a 2000 Outback. Only problem is it can turn over but not run. A mechanic confirmed that the issue is either a fuel pressure/delivery problem, or a management of fuel injection problem. Does this sound familiar to anyone and do you know what to expect in order to have it fixed? Cheers.

Mohan
Mohan

I had a 2000 Outback. I discovered there is a design flaw in the engine. Blew a head gasket after 100,000 km, when on highway. Had to keep going to find a safe spot to pull over. Car was a write off. Never touched Subaru again. Brought a Hyundai I 30 CW not very fancy or comfortable but running for seven years withouth a problem.

Noel P.

Noel P.asked

Outback 5GEN 2.5i (2014-2021)

I question the engine power and torque listed here for the 2.5 Lt petrol.

Rodasked

Outback 5GEN 2.5i Premium (2014-2021)

Anyone with problmens/noise when opeming power tail gate?

Iggy Pop

Mine has been ok but only had the car one week. How has the steering been on yours? Mine wanders at highway speed. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow

BK53
BK53

What problem was found? I have a Forester 2.5 l not quite 2 years old and it wanders over the road and needs constant correcting. Wondering what to do. Help please. I have Bridgestone Dueller low profile tyres which were on since new - 25000 kms on the clock.

Rod

Subaru replaced the tail gate motor - not without argument as they couldn't "hear" the noises.

Recently they also changed the coils, had to leave the car with them for a week till one "senior mechanic" found the problem.

I had to replace the OEM tyres before 40,000kms, never had tyres that last that little.

Iggy Popasked

Outback 5GEN 2.5i Premium (2014-2021)

Have just purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback, and first drive on the highway I find the steering extremely poor. I stopped at first service station and found tyre pressures ranged from 190 kpa to 260 kpa. I adjusted them to the recommended 230 front and 240 back and did improve but the steering still veers to the left. I did investigate a bit more and found the US model has a bunch of complaints similar to mine on the steering. It seems you have to concentrate and drive with continual corrections as soon as you go over 80 kmh. Interested if any one else has had similar issues with the car. We now have 100 km up on the car and I am extremely disappointed. Wondering if I have purchased a lemon??

Rod

Thank you Iggy, I dont drive much the car, its has 35Kms, i had the car for almost 4 years now and as i dont drive above 100kms p/h haven't noticed anything weird on steering. Hoerver picked up my attention that OEM tyres are already low, when i had my first liberty back in 1995 OEM tyres last 80Kms! there are many complains in the use for faulty motor on the power lift tail gate.

Himonefella

Himonefellaasked

Outback 5GEN 2.5i Premium (2014-2021)

Our M2017 after the twenty four month service (only 25500kms) has developed the shakes when the aircon and aux fan start up on a hot day under idle at traffic lights. Her idle appears to be set at the 750/800 mark and she drops back to 650 when both of those items kick in. My service dept states that the shake is normal?????

Rod

yes, poor answer. i have some noises when i pass form P to R or D, at subaru docklands they said is normal. I believe while under warranty, they dont see extra $$$, so its normal

fran

franasked

Outback 5GEN (2014-2021)

59000 miles and need radiator. Any help?

navid H.

navid H.asked

Outback

How frequent a problem is failure of infotainment unit on latest outback model?

Sean Saunders
Sean Saunders

I haven't had any problems with it on the latest outback model, although the Subaru app doesn't connect at all on mine. Bluetooth and navigation hasn't failed at all.

Douggie

Douggieasked

Outback 5GEN (2014-2021)

Anyone with the 3.6r able to comment on their fuel consumption?

Nick
Nick

It's fuel thirsty no doubt. I clock around 12.7 km to 15.2 km in mix of 50km-80km zone with a bit of up and downs and slow traffic at times. With full tank (60L) it goes for about 380km before the empty signal lights up. If I mix 200km of highway into it, it goes down to 10.9L/100km. It went about 470km before Empty lit up. So not very impressive.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives