24Subaru Outback

Subaru Outback Questions & Answers

Chandra R.
Chandra R. · Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2019)

Hi,
Is it worth buying a 2015 3.6r with just over 90,000 Km? Priced, maybe under $30,000.

Rob D.
Rob D. · Outback (No Badge) (2020-2024)

my new work supplied lease vehicle was ordered june 2021 to replace my work leased 2017 subaru outback in late september 2021.
delivery/handover did not occur until mid february 2022.
this is my 3rd work leased subaru outback and i am impressed with the handling and performce of all the subaru outback vehicles i have had.
i was sceptical with my 1st 2014 model because prior to that i had 3 different models of the ford territory that i loved i believe nothing could beat it for performace, handling & comfort.
i conceed i have been converted.
now back to the outback.
i have to say, the 2017 model is my much preferred to the 2021 model with bigger storage tray in front of the gear stick, more plug in ports including in the centre console, bigger glovebox compartment, less annoying distractions safety alarms that could be turned off permanently and not default back to reset after restarting the vehicle
i need a cigarette charge port for my work laptop & in the 2021 model it is in the glovebox.
absolute pain to plug into & run the cable & reduces my cable length to the laptop
2017 model had one in front of gear stick & one in centre console. (much better access)
stupid little parcel shelf above glove box & difficult usb port access in front of the gear stick with small opening for a person with large hands.
admittedly this does not affect the 2021 vehicle performance and handling.
as i do a lot of highway driving my biggest gripe is the change of the cruise control settings which it critical to me because with my place of employment, its instant dismissal if i receive 3 traffic infrigments in one year.
the 2017 model cruise setting was great and i could use the toggle at half way to increase or decrease speed in 1km increments or 10km increments if toggle is pushed all the way.
the 2021 model only has 5km or 10km increments which is disappointing.
many times on 100km highway with cruise set at 105km i overtake a vehicle travelling at under 100km taking my speed to over 105km and hit resume after overtaking and it jumps to 110km.
very annoying and having to constantly resetting the cruise.
never had that issue with 2017 model because of the better 1km increment set up on the cruise toggle setting.
i have asked the local dealership here to change the setting to 1km increments but was told it cannot be done.
overall great car but the 2017 was better for my choice with storage access, plug in ports access & cruise control settings.
just realised one other point.
when backing a trailer, the rear sensor alarm activates and is constantly annoying & destracting when trying to concentrate on mirrors while reversing.

Ivan36
Ivan36

Hi Rob,
I have no idea what is your question as you are rather making a statement here. I have to agree with you though that not everything is satisfactory as far as the 2021 model compared with the 2017 is concerned. Yes, I too find a number of things annoying in the latest generation Outback. Five to 10 km increments are one of the things I did not appreciate. Much better in the older model. And yes, the storage was also better. I personally do not like the split screen during reversing. Again, as far as I remember the older model had a better image. It only shows that the new models are not necessarily better than those the replace. Having said that, the current model is more sophisticated. By and large it is a fabulous car. One has to bear in mind that no car will ever be perfect. I believe that Subaru wants to hear our views be they negative, so that they may improve the next model.
Happy motoring!

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi Rob, we appreciate your detailed feedback on your Subaru Outback. We're truly sorry for the way that you feel and would like the opportunity to gather further details. Could you please reach out to our Subaru Customer Relations Team on 1800 22 66 43 or alternatively email us at feedback@subaru.com.au . We look forward in hearing back from you. Kind Regards The Subaru Team

graeme
graeme · Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2019)

I am a very happy Subaru owner during the last 12years and during the last 5 years a 2015 3.6 R premium outback. This car is outstanding and easily the best car i have owned in approximately 50 years of driving various makes and models. The Outback has a great power to weight ratio, superb driving / handling characteristics, comfortable, able to handle reasonably serious off road conditions, has a great Harmon Kardon stereo and lots of nice tech ( do yourself a favor and check out the spec,s on this vehicle )
Another great attribute with this Outback 3.6 R is it runs on ordinary 91Ron unleaded petrol. the best economy I have achieved is 7.6 litres per 100kl,s. It is not to difficult to achieve around 8.4 to 9.5 average with sensible driving.
I have recently considered upgrading my Subaru Outback to the newest model, a bit more refined, more power maybe ,upgraded tech, suspension and so on. Not a big ask for Subaru. Wrong ! ! ! Very wrong.
Trying to get real information about the new 2021 Subaru Outback is akin to pulling teeth, however I believe the new model only has a 2,5 litre engine and ( your kidding us ) no turbo available. The crazy part is they have increased the tow value from 1800 KG,s to 2000 KGs. REALLY.
Subaru, you may have known what you were doing, but what were you thinking. you have made a major blunder ( in my opinion) by robing your customers of owning a Subaru with decent, safe power.
It appears that to own a 3.6 Outback now the 2020 model is the last available. Very sad. So, get onto the car sales websites, have your money handy and buy one . you won,t regret it.
Graes

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @ Graeme, Thank you so much for your review. We know that there is a great appreciation for the 3.6R model in the Outback. While it may not be an available option in the new Outback, we're constantly working with the factory in Japan about future possibilities for us. We recently released specs and pricing on the 2021 Outback which you can check out here but there will be more to come as we get closer to its release in March. The Subaru Team.

graeme

Thanks Subaru Australia for your reply. I look forward to Subaru Japan having a light bulb moment and re-introducing the 3.6 engine or similar in 2022 . We should not be limited to underpowered smaller engines that do not cut the mustard, especially when towing/overtaking. People will pay a premium price for a premium vehicle / engine combination.
I hope we get the goods in 2022.
Graes.

Peter Wellfare
Peter Wellfare

I own a 2009 Forester 2.5L petrol manual, and it has been a good car but down on power (I've always ran it on premium fuel as well). I want to purchase a new Outback and what a shame no 3.6R engine any more (I may consider a Demo/Used 3.6R vehicle). I will not buy another under powered Subby so they need to bring out the turbo version (everything else I like about Subaru's). Why don't the car companies supply vehicles the customer would like to own and not what they want to just supply. Especially seeing that Turbo Outback's and available in the States (maybe it is due to our lower customer numbers here). Anyway if Subaru Australia wants sell me a new Outback please provide what I'm after (and sounds like what may others would prefer as well). Regards Pete.

Hi peter,
Great to read your comments regarding Subaru vehicles and very glad to know that at least someone else is on the same page as me.
I hope that more people contact Subaru and get them to lift their game to provide a vehicle with more smooth, safe power and some nice improvements / updates to tech etc,.
Maybe 2022 will deliver such a vehicle, however if you decide to purchase a used Subaru 3.6 R before then you will not be disappointed. ( I have tested premium fuel in my vehicle but found no difference in power/fuel economy, it is designed to use 91 unleaded and runs fine on it. Saves money too. )
( Footnote: I recently had my vehicle serviced and was kindly given a loan vehicle, a Subaru hybrid petrol / electric piece of garbage .It did the job and I was thankful, but it was noisy and roughly changed often between petrol and electric power Not a patch on the smooth 3.6 R. Talk about going backwards. Subaru should stay with fuel only or go fully electric. I spoke with the new car sales person and expressed my views, just a little salvo that hopefully will get back to Subaru ! ! ! )
Cheers Peter
Graes

Melanie S.
Melanie S. · Outback

Does the new model come with a 7 seat option?

tinkertoy
tinkertoy

No, not this one. I don’t think Subaru has a seven seat option, at least in Australia.

MansfieldJohno
MansfieldJohno

Jolene Cathrine M.
Jolene Cathrine M. · Outback 3GEN (2003-2009)

Im looking at buying a 2007 Outback D/Range MY07 with 165k on the odometer. Will mostly be driven around town, with an occasional bush road drive to go camping, gold detecting, fosicking. Will have my mechanic inspect before I buy, but is there anything I need to watch for? Thank you.

Linda Maree
Linda Maree

I’m sorry I’m unable to answer this question

M M
M M

Hi Jolene

We had an older Outback (2001/2002 from memory?) and prior to this an even older Subaru 'wagon' (didn't have a model name) so not too sure about the 2007. A couple friends of mine had the 2007/8 though and they, like us, kept driving theirs until the cars' old age.

We loved our old one so much. So solidly built and we felt safe in it. We do most of our driving around town - inner city and suburbs. The bush road drives were nice and we never felt like it would let us down (unlike the new electronic ones). It had an amazing (Irving?) bullbar fitted on the front and was a dream to drive away and for long distances.

The only thing for us is as it aged and did higher Ks on the clock, the value decreased so much and when it came to a major service and inevitable replacement of some operational engine parts (can't remember which one/s) but it became too cost-exhaustive, around the same amount as the whole car was worth. So that was the only thing that got us to buy a whole new car. Prior to that, not much went wrong or cost too much mechanically.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

Mohan

Buy a Toyota or a Hyundai. Cheaper and will not break down. Subaru engines can be trecherous. I had an engine failure at 80km/h on the Geelong highway.

Alan
Alan · Outback 5GEN 3.6R (2014-2019)

The power and torque figures of 129kW and 235Nm under details are incorrect for the 3.6

Robert M.
Robert M. · Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

I have a problem in engaging AWD on 1998 Outback. Does the mechism seize through non use.
There appears to be an oil leak from the rear end of the transfer shaft

wisernow

Subaru has a full time AWD. So how does it disengage ?

Robert M.
Robert M. · Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

Can't engage awd. Does it seize up through non use?
Appears to be leaking oil ay rear end of transfer shaft.

wisernow

Outback engines are not as tough as would be expected. Best to dump the car.

Liam B.
Liam B. · Outback 3GEN (2003-2009)

Am looking to buy an example with 200,000km. What are some things I should be looking for?

Roger

I have never been a fan of REALLY high mileage cars. Nothing lasts for ever. I would look for an extremely well maintained vehicle that has complied rigorously with the service book with evidence of money spent like invoices. Check out the Subaru forums and ask those guys as there a lot of high mileage Subarus on there. In the meantime have it independently inspected on a hoist and keep fingers & toes crossed!

Deb Wraight
Deb Wraight · Outback

Can you replace a broken 2016 Outback double fog light with a single bulb

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi Deb, Thanks for getting in touch! We recommend having your double fog light replaced with a genuine Subaru double fog light only. The Subaru Team.

Kerry F · Outback

I was going to buy a Subaru Outback but after reading these reviews and lack of response from Subaru, think I’ll go with Toyota RAV4. Thanks Product review.

Roger

Hi Kerry, I bought my Outback new in 2013 and she has not missed a beat since. They are not the fastest cars in the world but they are totally practical and in my experience very reliable. If they have one fault it is that the dealer servicing is relatively expensive. I have my car serviced at a Subaru "specialist". After 80,00kms I am looking seriously at the Hyundai Santa Fe but you should do well with a RAV4 as the reviews on the current model are very good. However they are on 6 month delivery at the moment. Don't forget that these forums tend to attract the squeaky wheels who will complain about any niggle. My car is still on its original tyres and my overall fuel consumption is indicated at 7.6litres/100km. Good luck, either car should be a good buy, just stay away from the Europeans!

Kerry F

Thanks Roger, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

clive turner
clive turner · Outback

why is it necessary to remove the child seats from subaru outback for the 125,000 kms service?

keith l.
keith l. · Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

My friend purchased a 2003 Subaru Outback that has been in New Mexico at 5240 ft. altitude the entire time. Now ,when he attempts to drive it to a higher 8424 ft. altitude it stalls out. Once I come to clear the engine codes it runs until he drives back to the higher altitude. The codes read rich and lean fuel in three cylinders, misfires , and high temperatures. Is there a high altitude program that I can download to his car that will help this problem ?

keith l.
keith l. · Outback 2GEN (1998-2003)

My friend purchased a Subaru Outback that has been in New Mexico the entire time at 5240 ft altitude. Whenever he travels to a higher altitude ( 8424 ft. ) the engine stalls and wont run until I clear the engine codes. The codes listed misfires with lean and rich on 3- 4 fuel cylinders at different attempts to go from lower to higher altitudes along with high temperature codes. Any clues as to which senors are causing this? Is there a high altitude program available that I can download to his car? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you R. J. S.

Lancia
Lancia

I suggest trying YouTube to get answers regarding that!

keith l.

Thank you Lancia. I hadn't thought of that.

AJ B
AJ B · Outback

Am considering buying a 2000 Outback. Only problem is it can turn over but not run. A mechanic confirmed that the issue is either a fuel pressure/delivery problem, or a management of fuel injection problem. Does this sound familiar to anyone and do you know what to expect in order to have it fixed? Cheers.

Mohan

I had a 2000 Outback. I discovered there is a design flaw in the engine. Blew a head gasket after 100,000 km, when on highway. Had to keep going to find a safe spot to pull over. Car was a write off. Never touched Subaru again. Brought a Hyundai I 30 CW not very fancy or comfortable but running for seven years withouth a problem.

Noel P.
Noel P. · Outback 5GEN 2.5i (2014-2019)

I question the engine power and torque listed here for the 2.5 Lt petrol.

Rod
Rod · Outback 5GEN 2.5i Premium (2014-2019)

Anyone with problmens/noise when opeming power tail gate?

Iggy Pop

Mine has been ok but only had the car one week. How has the steering been on yours? Mine wanders at highway speed. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow

BK53
BK53

What problem was found? I have a Forester 2.5 l not quite 2 years old and it wanders over the road and needs constant correcting. Wondering what to do. Help please. I have Bridgestone Dueller low profile tyres which were on since new - 25000 kms on the clock.

Rod

Subaru replaced the tail gate motor - not without argument as they couldn't "hear" the noises.

Recently they also changed the coils, had to leave the car with them for a week till one "senior mechanic" found the problem.

I had to replace the OEM tyres before 40,000kms, never had tyres that last that little.

Subaru Australia   DM

Hi @ BK53, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your Subaru. We recommend getting in touch with your nearest or preferred Subaru service centre so they can inspect and diagnose your vehicle for you. The Subaru Team. external link

Iggy Pop
Iggy Pop · Outback 5GEN 2.5i Premium (2014-2019)

Have just purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback, and first drive on the highway I find the steering extremely poor. I stopped at first service station and found tyre pressures ranged from 190 kpa to 260 kpa. I adjusted them to the recommended 230 front and 240 back and did improve but the steering still veers to the left. I did investigate a bit more and found the US model has a bunch of complaints similar to mine on the steering. It seems you have to concentrate and drive with continual corrections as soon as you go over 80 kmh. Interested if any one else has had similar issues with the car. We now have 100 km up on the car and I am extremely disappointed. Wondering if I have purchased a lemon??

Rod

Thank you Iggy, I dont drive much the car, its has 35Kms, i had the car for almost 4 years now and as i dont drive above 100kms p/h haven't noticed anything weird on steering. Hoerver picked up my attention that OEM tyres are already low, when i had my first liberty back in 1995 OEM tyres last 80Kms! there are many complains in the use for faulty motor on the power lift tail gate.

Himonefella
Himonefella · Outback 5GEN 2.5i Premium (2014-2019)

Our M2017 after the twenty four month service (only 25500kms) has developed the shakes when the aircon and aux fan start up on a hot day under idle at traffic lights. Her idle appears to be set at the 750/800 mark and she drops back to 650 when both of those items kick in. My service dept states that the shake is normal?????

Rod

yes, poor answer. i have some noises when i pass form P to R or D, at subaru docklands they said is normal. I believe while under warranty, they dont see extra $$$, so its normal

fran
fran · Outback 5GEN (2014-2019)

59000 miles and need radiator. Any help?

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Select a listing for your question
Subaru Outback