Bionizer Questions & Answers

16 questions from our users

Bettyasked

How does the Bionizer cope with large amounts of leaves in the water? We live on a bush block and, for many months of the year, there are lots of leaves blown in the pool. They are cleared often, but we have been told that the Bionizer may find the PH fluctuation difficult to manage. I manage it currently with regular small additions of acid (saltwater pool)

Gary.W
Gary.W

Hi Betty I live regional Victoria in Wandong on a 3/4 acre lot my pool is 12 meters long X 4.5 meters wide and it is about 4 meters off the back fence and I have a row of confer trees growing along the fence they drop a lot of rubbish in the pool, then we also get a lot of rain water in the pool as well, It has one of those blue plastic bubble covers on it to try and keep the rubbish out of it, during winter months I check my pool once a month or may be twice a month, I clean it up when the weather warms up, if things dry off I get the blower out and blow the droppings from the trees away
now the question I go through about 6 liters of acid per year my pool holds 82,000 liters of water don't laugh it is a true 2 meters deep at the deep end since putting on the bionizer system I think the hardest part of it is getting the copper setting right the pool dose take a little more checking during summer once per week with the usage that my pool gets grand kids and there friends they here every day using it but the bionizer system has got to be pretty good as far as I am concered it suits me to the ground the pool is also solar heated to around 28c during summer hope this helps you out some cheers Gary Watson

Thanks Gary

Michelle

Michelleasked

I live in Cairns Queensland is their a representative near me please?

Michelle

Michelleasked

I live in the Barossa Valley SA is there a service representative that would
Come out regularly and check my bonier and do service and maintenance or come and give me advice

Adrian
Adrian

Michelle, suggest call the company direct, but from my experience there is no servicing required apart from replacing the anodes which is not very frequent.

Bionizer P.Bionizer

Hi Michelle,

Adrian is correct. There is very little servicing required with the Bionizer equipment, and it is easily done yourself. Give us a call on 1800 10 62 74 or +61 7 5479 6100 and we can clarify the maintenance and answer any questions you may have.

Bionizer :)

Marijke D.

Marijke D.asked

Sorry, said "reverse Osmosis" - just had water system installed in kitchen. so had this on my mind - I meant to say Ozone. Wanted to compare Ozone with Bionizer re pool maintenance.
We had Ozone as treatment in our previous pool which was concrete, but have just recently purchased a house with a pebblecrete pool.

Marijke D.

Marijke D.asked

We have an inground pebble crete pool which is about 14 years old. At present it is a saltwater filter but the cost of chemicals and a poolman is very high for me. Am wondering if the pebblecreting might cause problems if we switched to a Bionizer. Or would reverse osmosis be the better option?

Paul
Paul

My pool is pebble crete and about the same age , i have had no problems with using the Bionizer it has no negative effect whats so ever . Make the change you won't regret it .

Lotte

Lotteasked

Hi. There is one review here where the. Upper ions were sticking to the fibreglass pool she’ll, causing stains and being ineffective as a sanitation method. Has anyone else heard of troubles like this? Does anyone know why this may have happened? Thanks.

IAN M
IAN M

Any stains would be blue from the copper. Usually fiber glass pools are blue anyway. I have not seen this before but I suggest that you do not raise copper levels above .3. Is the pool correctly balanced? Keep PH at 7.2

LKL
LKL

It is that some pool owners do not check their water balance regularly...if copper is not at normal levels it will show on the copper test results and this will very quickly show that the copper level is sneaking up. This can easily be controlled by the touch of a button and the copper levels will stay at a constant setpoint. If the balance isn't checked for many weeks or even months in this case and the pH and or total alkalinity are also not checked (after all it is just a pool right it should look after itself) regularly then if the copper levels become too high..double or more our recommended level of 0.5 to 0.6 ppm then this combo of high copper high pH and or low alkalinity may deposit some copper marks on the pool surface. It is a rare occurrence (almost impossible with the Bionizer with new copper to water volume program now) and the marks are easily removed with a general stain remover that lifts metallic Manganese, iron and Copper stains off the surface of pools. Iron and Manganese stains are found on many pools hence the general type of metallic stain removers readily available. Keys to a trouble-free and easily maintained pool are good circulation and regular water balance.

Hi Lotte
We have had a bionizer for over a year now and having so many problems with colouring. The cord of the pool cleaner is a bright green yellow colour and now our walls of the pool are discoloured. We have had regular maintenance of our pool and have strictly followed the instructions however we can't get it to work. All our hair is green and I'm literally pulling my hair out trying to solve our pool problems... too much trouble! We don't know what to do and I'm on here trying to work out a solution. Have you found any alternative healthy options?

Mal

Malasked

I have a above ground vinyl pool it seem that pools with with different linings ie pebbles etc have the odd problem has anybody out there with above ground pool ie vinyl like ours have any issues?

Mumma Jasked

Anyone had any green hair problems with the bionizer? My hair is going green and every blonde that swims in my pool is getting green hair!

Gary M

You may just have high pH or low Total Alkalinity. Also make sure your Copper level is around .6ppm.
Sometimes wetting hair first can help to stop the hair follicles from being absorbent. You can also run some conditioner through your hair. If hair is already a bit green then apple cider vinegar will take it straight out.

Mumma J

To follow up from my original message above... We ended up removing our bionizer.. the pool was so discoloured we had to empty it and have it acid washed and then we had to pay $2000 to switch it over to just a normal salt pool.. so pretty annoyed that we were sold in on the bionizer in the first place.. paid extra $$$ for a ‘healthy’ pool only to have to pay another $4k to have it removed, cleaned and switched over to a normal run of the mill salt pool. Not including the water bill to refill the pool from scratch!! Haven’t had any problems since we switched it over.

Bionizer P.Bionizer

Hi Mumma, we have checked and rechecked our data base and we have no record of you having been a client...perhaps a pool builder or service sold and installed the Bionizer System you had. There are no records of you ever having called our office or service dep't to rectify whatever was causing you the distress. We are very experienced in all types of pools and conditions. We are disappointed that you have been so inconvenienced. One truth though...it is never our system or equipment at fault...it is always something faulty or inadequate with the pool such as poor circulation or old filter media/cartridge to name a couple. Either that or the pool maintenance/balance is not up to scratch. Many time pool shops either by error or design (yes design) give pool owners incorrect water balance readings either to exacerbate a poorly balanced pool or to discredit Bionizer. It happens so often it isn't funny...been going on for 20 years. Most pool owners realize that since the massive increase in online sales of pool equipment the pool shops are forced to push hard for increased chemical sales. Bionizer reduces chemicals required to a large degree...so guess why I say the above. To be fair many pool shops do not understand the better, cleaner, cheaper and more healthy way to maintain pools. They have been steeped in chlorine and salt chlorine (magnesium pools are salt/chlorine pools and you swim in as much chlorine as any salt pool) methods of pool control. Chlorine is a strong bleach so it masks many problems in the pool...so many residential pool owners are unwittingly swimming in 3+ parts chlorine (public pool levels and high levels of toxicity) due to poorly circulated pools. Most time pool builders do not have any idea of the importance of circulation in pools. They fit a salt chlorinator, add heaps of salt to the pool, turn it up high and hey the water looks good...the problems created by poor water circulation are masked by high levels of chlorine which the pool owner doesn't realize are 3+ times higher than are required to maintain a well circulated pool. So you see everything is not as it seems with pools...I regret you having had these issues...if you call us on 1800 10 62 74
we will try to assist even though it is time long passed. I repeat we do not have a record of ever hearing from you...we have a specialized people who can assist with any issue and 99.5% of the time successfully. If you have called we have no record or recollection. We do not have your details on our data base which is very unusual...the only thing I can think of is a pool service or pool builder installed/sold your equipment in the first instance and failed to pass on your details to us so we would then record you as a client. Please call us for clarification and to see how we can help to undo the situation.

Donoasked

How well does the system work for larger pools? Ours is 70,000 litres. And how about hotter environments? We are located in Cairns, where the glare of the sun can be pretty harsh. We covered in gazebos for shade and to prevent direct sunlight on the water, and to hopefully reduce evaporation...

Wayne
Wayne

I don’t a bionizer any more (see my review) so I can’t answer your question.

Peter Noosa
Peter Noosa

Hi Dono, works fine in the heat at Noosaville, our pool (50k Lt) gets circa 6 hrs sun in winter and 9 hrs in Summer. We run the filter for 9 to 12 hours a day using a variable speed pump (which has cuts power bills by 75%) and the bioniser for about six hours in at 20% winter and 30% summer. The sun does not knock the copper around like chlorine, you just need to oxidise the pool weekly with hydrogen peroxide, Aquafresh or Powerchlor once a week if you are not using an oxidizer.

Dono

Cheers Peter. Very reassuring!

Jen

Jenasked

Can I remove and take Bionizer kit for another pool if I sell home? Thank you, Jen

Gary M

You certainly can take the system with you. If you can't handle the plumbing work yourself then contact Bionizer directly as they have contractors who do installs for them.

Kate

Jen I wouldn't buy. Ask how many installers as there is few if any. Customer Service is crap by this man. I'd suggest you look here - WARNING - check out review here https://www.productreview.com.au/p/bionizer.html

Hoff

Hoffasked

Just wondering for those who have a bionizer and have reviewed do you just have the basic unit or do you also have the PHBoss and eco oxidiser? Are they necessary?
Hoff

Shamoony

I also have the oxidizer to clean body oils etc. But I don't have the PH Boss because with my fibreglass pool, it's been so easy to manage. One day I might get PH as well as we are all getting older and maybe become lazier.

Gary M

You can just go with the main Bionizer unit but you will have to manually oxidise the water and adjust the pH levels.
The additional units will do this automatically for you.

Kate

No the additional units don't do this for you. I was sold a faulty PH BOSS...read reviews before you consider as customer service is horrid by this man. WARNING - check out review here https://www.productreview.com.au/p/bionizer.html

Jessasked

I have four children all have dry skin is it worth changing to a bionizer pool what if any are the Heath benefits vassals chlorinated pools?

Shamoony

Hi Jess. You should call the company and speak to them. They are all pros vs. cons. There are no cons in my opinion. Pros are you are not sticky, you don't smell, your metal and aluminium household goods around the pool don't rust, I only add some little bit of solution for ionized pools one a month and that's it. When I say you can drink the water and it tastes like refrigerator water, I mean it. My pool is always sparkling and it's so easy to maintain. Google around and also call the company. They helped me out. So the health benefit is, you are not swimming in chlorinated water.

Jessasked

Hi just wondering if I can hear from any pool owners who have just the bionizer installed and those who have the whole system installed are you happy with the system its ease of operation etc. I have 55,000lt concrete tiled and self cleaning pool has anyone had any effects from using the system in their pool damage to pool or equipment. Does anyone know anyone who has a pool similar to mine in the Echuca Moama area that I might be able to speak to to help me decide if this system is right for me? I have not had a good run with pool companies so have no trust in them.

Kate

DO NOT BUY......WARNING - check out review here https://www.productreview.com.au/p/bionizer.html

Siamasked

I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the salt chlorination. We installed one last year at the start of summer and swear it is the best money we have ever spent. Have added nothing to the pool in 12 months and it has remained crystal clear. I check the levels every now and then but everything remains perfectly stable.
I recommended the salt chlorinator to a friend and they came back to me and asked about the ioniser. I know there has been ionisers in the past and they were rubbish so I said don't touch them. I'm supprised then that you are so happy. Do you know if these are a big improvement on the old ones ?
Cheers Sam

Lynnoze

Hi Sam, I have previously had a salt chlorinator at a previous address too and you're right it did work well. Apart from an occasional Salt cell de-calcify, it ran well. My issue with the one I had here was that it was installed by the pool company. They knew it was too small for my pool and also that it was a discontinued product from Zodiac. So I had 2 problems, 1 - that it never produced enough chlorine for my volume of water despite running for 8 hrs a day on 100% and, 2 when I tried to replace it I couldn't just replace the cell I had to then go and replace the entire system which was more expensive than I was prepared to pay for a 3 yr old pool.
My other gripe was the amount of acid and chlorine I was having to not only purchase but dump into the pool to keep it useable. I did not see this as a viable option both in terms of health for my kids and also for the environment - using all these chemicals.
I have never heard of a ion sanitation system before and thought I'd try it. So far it is really great. Virtually no chlorine being added and only a small amount of acid for pH each few weeks. With Bionizers regular action plan for what I need two water tests to keep an eye on on a weekly basis and, 3 tests to do per month, I find it a straight-forward and easy way to keep the pool clear and healthy.

As I said though this is still ion the first year. We'll see how we go. Like you I am skeptical and wanted to share my unbiased experience with everyone so they could have an informed choice. Perhaps ion systems have improved?

Thanks, Andrew.

Siam

Thanks Andrew. You are very thorough in your response. I'll pass this onto my friends who were asking me about them.
Cheers Sam

Clintonasked

I have an bionizer system I'm just after an new anode part no 60564 could you help me with price

Lynnoze

You'll have to call the Bionizer people mate. I'm a customer just like you. How long did the anode last just out of interest? And are you (and the family) happy with the water quality etc? I am interested in your response.

Very happy with this system highly recommend it the anode lasted about 5 years

Rodasked

Hi looking to buy a sanitiser system. Would love a non chlorine system.
Please let me know how it is all going and if you are aware of others with the system?

Kind Regards Rod

Hi Rod,

So far so Good. It was installed about 6 months ago - maybe a bit more. Just in time for the swimming season to end. Then I've covered the pool and basically left it alone. I brushed and vacuumed it last weekend and it looks perfectly clear. So we'll see how it handles a busy summer season but so far I recommend it. I have only put in about a cup or 2 of liquid chlorine in a few times just to break up the oils from skin and sunscreen that collects on the surface. Other than that a bit of acid to keep pH in check. Much less than the old Salt chlorinator that I was constantly adding chlorine in vast quantities and then acid too to attempt to balance. They recommend a simple system (when to check pH, etc) to check the water on a regular basis that keeps things easy. I am not aware of anyone else who has the system but The crew at Bionizer are very approachable and easy to deal with. I think they have a list of homeowners who were willing to have prospective buyers come and look at the system. I think its worth a look. And the kids say it feels nicer in the water and less irritating on the eyes. They can't wait to get back in the pool for this season - neither can I! All the best. Andrew

Rod

Andrew thanks for the feedback. I spoke with Brian Cunningham the other day. I found him helpful and prepared to share the information required. I am grateful for your reply.

Kind Regards Rod

Kate

DO NOT BUY. WARNING - check out review here https://www.productreview.com.au/p/bionizer.html

Get an answer from our members and Bionizer representatives