Chromagen Midea 170L Heat Pump

Chromagen Midea 170L Heat Pump Questions & Answers

127 questions from our users

Leonia F

Leonia Fasked

Can someone give me a phone number so I can ring them

Geoff C

Geoff Casked

Hi. I will be absent from home for five months.

What is the best way to turn off the unit? Does it need to be drained? We live in a tropical climate.

Geoff C

Tony
Tony

Turn it of at your switch board as they are extreamly expensive to run

Ken

I don't think it needs to be drained. there is possibly an isolating switch mounted near the unit, if not your switchboard will have a breaker marked hot water. Contact chromagen to confirm this for yourself

James T

James Tasked

Where is the heat pump manufactured and what are the running costs for 4 people households

Ken

They are made in China. The 170ltr unit will not do enough hot water for 4 people, its suitable for 2. You will need to go for the 280 ltr unit for your needs. As to savings, you will save money....how much depends on what you currently use for hot water and who you buy your electricity from. We save around $40 per month at least

Ray H.

Ray H.asked

I have a problem with air in the heat pump. When hot water is turned on we get a lot of pressure from air
with spits and spurts for a minute or so. I don't believe it is a fault with the pump. I am after some help to fix the problem. I have followed the maintenance procedure in your guide and purged the tank - but did no good. The system was installed October 2019 so I don't think it is the anode. We did have air in the cold water lines as well but this has cleared up now. Can you help please. Ray Hart WA.

Wil

Hi Ray .. you will need to have the anode replaced.

Karen K

Karen Kasked

Why does my clock keep resetting itself at night time. I have to reset the clock each morning to get the correct time

Matt L.
Matt L.

do you have it on an off peak circuit? ie power interrupted every day?

Jamesasked

Our Heat pump does not show any setting?

James

Hi do you have a user manual for this Heater?

Many Thanks

Rickd

Rickdasked

Firstly the 170 unit I had installed is the best thing I ever did.
Now to my problem.
Ever since I had the smart meter installed to cater for my solar panels the hws only comes on at night time, which is all well and good when I am home alone, when my son an two grandkids come over and son want's a shower after work there is only like warm water because the hws doesn't top it self up like it used to before the smart meter was installed.
Any suggestions please ...

Dave
Dave

Wonder if it’s set to runoff peak? The issue could be at the meter or it could be in the settings on the HWS.

Tanya D

Tanya Dasked

Why does our heat pump keep switching off only had it for 4 months

PMac

PMacasked

Why only 2yr warranty? I'd expect a system of this price to give more.

Positronic3
Positronic3

Hi PMac, The warranty period for the Midea 170 is as follows:-
Tank cylinder 5 years.
Compressor 3 years.
This is inherent with most heat pumps out there. Also note, that if you are changing over from a gas storage, you will need a separate circuit for the unit. This will require running in a new cable from your fuse box to the unit itself. People who have existing electric HWS's are laughing, as this circuit will already be installed. They will also get their total cost for the unit and installation for free, in Victoria anyway through government subsidies.

Jono

Jonoasked

Why is my neighbours unit so noisy at night? It gives off a loud 'woosh' lasting about 2 seconds and repeats this about every 10 - 15 minutes.

bejindra g.

bejindra g.asked

Please do something needful...how to operate machine in hybrid mode??
Economy
Hybrid
E- heater
I had operated in hybrid mode but only compressor run not heater plz give me suggestion.
Thank you.
bjn.max10@gmail.com

Wil

In hybrid mode the Eheater will only come on when the ambient air temperature is below 5deg Celsius.

Frank

Frankasked

Warranty on unit/heat pump? Does off peak night rate sufficient to keep the unit hot...what is the thermostat set at? Thanks

Rick M.
Rick M.

The unit was installed by the builder of our demonstration home..At the time of failure it was out of warranty according to Chromagen...about 4 years old.... hence the lack of interest to fix i presume. Unit does not run on off peak as it needs to operate up to 17 hours per day to maintain 60deg

Pris L

Pris Lasked

Hi, I’m considering installing the 170L heat pump unit and wanted to understand if the heat pump requires electricity to heat up the water?

Andrew
Andrew

Yes, the unit requires electrickery to run the compressor.
Think of this unit as a heat exchange unit.
It takes the heat from outside the unit and transfers it to the water in the tank.
So if it is cold outside then the unit is less effective as there is less heat to transfer.
They are generally cheaper to run than a normal unit though.

Bop P

Bop Pasked

Where are the midea heat pumps manufactured.

China

Rina M.

Rina M.asked

I have chromogen midea 170 ltr installed two months ago but i always runs out of hot water, there r 4 people in my house, 6 on weekends . I'm thinking of upgrading to 280ltrs. I wonder how much would it cost me.

Seras V.

Seras V.asked

Have had our chromagen midea 170l hot water service hooked up for a couple weeks and have noticed significant loss in hot water pressure over this time.. cold is still fine.. what's wrong?

D H.

D H.asked

Are you happy with midea 170l and install by chromogen

jacquihill3

jacquihill3asked

My Midea heat pump was installed in 2016. Over the last few days the water comes out of the tap quite hot although not very hot and then cools down quite quickly to about 35 degrees. That's where it stays until the tap is turned off. The next time the tap is turned on the same thing happens. Initially very warm then drops to a lot colder. Can anyone tell me what's happening.

Wil

If the temperature reading on the heat pump is around 55-60 degrees it will be most likely a faulty tempering valve.

John W

John Wasked

Installed in 2016.
Never replaced anode.
What is part number, where can I buy one ?

You can by these fro most plumbing hardware stores 20mm thread

Dang B.

Dang B.asked

I just have my 280L Midea Chromagen installed, the installer connect the power to off peak tariff. I also have solar panels as well. I'm confused as which is the best way as I want to utilise the solar and also use the off peak as the back up. Is there the option to connect the solar and off peak at the same time or I can only chose one of them. any advise. thanks

Get an answer from our members and Chromagen representatives