Mitsubishi Challenger PC

13 questions from our users

Leeroy
Leeroyasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

I purchased my 2015 model car in 2018 with the balance of new car warranty on it. It is now just out of warranty and requires a new head gasket or possibly head. I have just found out that the dealer put a reconditioned motor into the car prior to me purchasing the vehicle. Meaning the first motor crap itself when only 3 years old. Is this a common issue or have I bought a lemon? The dealer won’t help me out at all, so I have to pay for the repairs

Nell
Nell

these cars mine was 2014 model and the same happened, go to consumer affairs as the engine despite being out of warranty the engine should have lasted longer than it did.
they know there was an issue with these model cars and have replaced many engines that have head gaskets blow.
i sold mine off in 2019 with a brand new engine. Contact the Fair trading office regarding the new engine as it should have lasted longer than it did being replaced.

wossuupasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

i just purchased the 2015 challenger and im having trouble finding a company that does a bullbar for it. arb, tjm and ironman are the ones ive contacted so far and all say they dont do one for this model. anyone have any sugestions. south australia if possible, cheers

Brian M.
Brian M.

Call Mitsubishi for the bull bar.
Check the Australian Pajero Forum as there is good information there.
The Mitsubishi bull bar isn't as strong as an ARB bar but give maximum cooling to the engine.

wossuup

Nice, cheers for the reply

morse334
morse334

Xrox bullbar

Mick M
Mick Masked

Hi Rob Patroney,

I just read your review and found it really interesting. So it was an engine oil radiator you put on not a transmission oil radiator?
Also what is the kit for the torque converter? And Where do you get it from?

Thanks heaps
Mick

Merryl Hasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

Our Challenger, 2015 manual, 80000km, has just developed a strange trait. It seems to run as if in too high a gear, with a sort of surging feel. As if the throttle is opening and then cutting back again. I really do not wish to take it back to dealer, as most disappointed with them.
Open to suggestions. Thanks, Ian.

Dangme D.
Dangme D.

Hipe youve fixed the issue but sounds like a cracked intercooler hose

Merryl H

Thanks Dangme. After 4 mechanics, finally found it.
Took the hose off to look in the throttle box, fingers went through the split. $160 For new hose. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Jamie Hutch
Jamie Hutchasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

Any idea how to remove the globe in the tailgate? I’ve tried twisting and it moves slightly but not enough to think it will move any more, I’ve tried pulling it and still no go?

Gerard T
Gerard T

I replace one of the parking lights just the other day
You unclip the wire by pressing the latch on the plug
I the used a pair of pliers and turned it till it was free and able to be removed and I remember using the pliers because it was quite tight
Hope this helps

Leigh R
Leigh Rasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

Has any one dino turned their truck?

Marko
Markoasked

Hi,
My 2015 challenger won't start for the first time...anyone knows what is the problem?

Simmins4asked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

We have a 2013 challenger. A few times now, after pulling up to a complete stop, the car won't move. Won't go backwards or forwards. It's like its stuck in neutral. Doesn't matter if we're still in drive, or park. Has anyone else had this problem?

Rob patroney
Rob patroney

Are you trying to have someone on here? This is so unusual. What you have just said is not even possible, especially if you have just been driving and pulled up.

Simmins4

Lol, am I trying to have someone???
It's happened 3 or 4 times now. The car just won't move, literally like its stuck in neutral. You can put it in reverse, nothing. Drive, nothing. So I can assure you, it is possible. Taking it to mitsubishi anyway, just wondered if anyone had had the same problem.
Thanks for your answer anyway

mike
mike

dose the car stall engine if problem may be coverter or pump

les vines
les vinesasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

does anybody have problems with excessive exhaust smoke emissions my 2013 pc challenger has done this since new on changing through gears the smoke is quite thick mitsubishi say it is within normal tolerances
please advise [email removed]

Ando8

Hi Les, have got a 2015 pc and very little exhaust smoke at any time. Have only done 25k though.
Craig

blueyh

I just had 30000 km service on 2015 manual.
Had inlet manifold "cleaned". The next week engine light on. Dealer reset. Lasted 15 minutes. Back again, this time they replaced exhaust gas recirc valve. Have very sooty exhaust pipe. Am only using BP fuel. I don't think the mapping is correct. Am a little disappointed as this vehicle is not as good as previous 2012 model.

David Harvey
David Harvey

Do I drive a Mitsubishi challenger 2013 in constant 4wd? Pros Cons

Ando8asked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

I bought a Challenger PC new in July 2015. The turbo lag is a bummer and I am looking at a Windbooster throttle control system on it. Does anybody have anything on this?

Bill

I do not have an answer but advice. Be careful about voiding warranties. I wanted to solve my fuel consumption problem with a chip or computer remapping but was told it would void the warranty on the motor.

SquidKing
SquidKing

The Turbo lag is common to all common rail diesel that I've driven , With my Challenger the lag seemed to be reduced after the 40,000km service at Mitsubishi whether they remapped it I don't know .

Kempy
Kempy

digging up an old thread but I have a windbooster installed on my PC Challenger and it makes a massive difference. Never had any issues with the service center having it installed either. If you're worried, remove it before you take it in (its a simple in-line plug at the accelerator).
The turbo lag isn't 'gone' but the more rapid throttle response helps to alleviate it somewhat. Do it.

reggie
reggieasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

What fuel consumption should I expect towing a 2.5 ton caravan at average 95/100 kph in undulating country, i.e general caravan use throughout Victoria and NSW with a Mitsubishi challenger 2015 automatic.

Bill

Short answer is I do not know. But a 2.5 tonne caravan is toward the larger end of the scale. Fuel use would be very high. I personally would not pull more than 1-1.5 tonnes even though it is rated for 3.0. For 2.5 tonnes I would recommend a 3.2 L diesel Pajero or a Land Cruiser.

Mike1405

I regularly tow a tandem race car trailer with a Holden HQ Tire rack and gear. sweight around 2800 kg.
I get 15- 17 ltrs per 100 km by measuring fuel to refill divided kms/100.
You wil find that how hard you accelerate impacts the consumtion.

Deering
Deeringasked

Hi:all
I have a 2014 challenger and want to tow a 19 foot caravan. I have been advise to fit a auto trams cooler external air cooler. To stop overheating. Can you advise me if this is a requirement or not?

Pappy
Pappy

Deerin in our experience towing a 2.3t Jayco Outback pop top with our 2014 Auto Challenger, a trans cooler was not needed. But we could have done with a pair of ear muffs and extra power. We did not do a lot of really hilly stuff and used 4th most times. Perhaps the soon to be released model will overcome these issues. Best of Luck

Jacrisp
Jacrisp

You do not have to, but by fitting a cooler you are increasing the amount of auto fluid and keeping the temps down. Both of these will increase the health and life span of your transmission.
If you have spend money on a good caravan, spend the extra $200-300 or so for the cooler installed. Also for extra pulling power and to help with fuel consumption I would also fit an exhaust for when I tow. I just tow a camper trailer and have found the need for extra grunt and an exhaust will help with this.

Mike1405

you mentioned a 19 ft van is this lift up roof or full height . It is an issue of drag and weight and speed. if your total load is in excess of 1500 kg then you will benefit from adding a trans cooler. Also the terrain will play on the shift and gear selected. autos will cope well out of the factory for light loads and short trips. if you are planning to tow heavy loads over long distances then invest in a cooler. you will thank yourself for doin so.

blueyhasked
Challenger PC (2013-2015)

Have just purchased 2015 Challenger Manual.
Is there any known clutch problems with this model?

Mike1405

by clutch problem what do you mean. the hydraulic clutch is soft to foot and light feel. not like a cable or mechanical linkage setup from older style vehicles.
you need to get used to it and dont slip too much.

Dear blueyh

I have not heard of any issues nor seen any on the 4wd forums.
there are few forum sites for pajero and challenger to keep an eye on. 4wdaustralia.com. is one such site.

the issue with clutch is this is seen as a wear and tear item and is not covered under warranty unless catastophic failure due to manufacturing issue.
Did you buy it from new?
if so , do you slip the clutch under load as this can quickly glaze the pressure plate and the flywheel. once glazed you need to remove the clutch and scuff the face with 80 grit emery or if realy bad then machine the faces.
this is a costly job and unless you have all the equipment to handle the transfer case then get this done throuh a reputable brake and clutch company.
hope this helps.

blueyh

It is new, 3000km. Thanks to all for info. Greatly received. Bluey.

See all Mitsubishi Challenger questions

Get an answer from our members and Mitsubishi representatives

Mitsubishi Challenger PC (2013-2015)

Other Large / 7 Seater SUVs