2Momento Photo Books

Momento Photo Books Questions & Answers

Verifiedmomento.com.au
Sharon

Hello I am about to export my Grand photo book, however I want to order a leather cover. At the moment I am having trouble deleting the colour on the cover. I do not have a photo or font as I wish to use embossed. Can I simply export and still choose leather cover or if I export while there is colour there will it be too late. Thanks Sharon

Momento   DM

Hi Sharon If you're not ordering a printed cover, then you can just ignore what is on your cover in the software. Your cover design will appear on the website when you upload it, but when you go to order and choose a non-printed cover, then that cover design is never used.

Our text embossing uses standard fonts. You can view at external link

I hope that helps. if you're still stuck, it might be best to call our Customer Service team tomorrow morning on 1300 799 764

Veronica S.

Is there a way that I can remove all captions in the sort mode? Rather than removing the captions (the image number) individually. I am new to Momento photo books, so still learning the finer editing details.
Veronica

found it

Momento   DM

Apologies that we didn’t get back to you on this question, but I’m glad you found it. I assume you found the captions option in the text menu

David J.
David J.

Hi, I'm in the process of creating a photo book that combines my photos and my poetry. It says that the photos may appear differently in print. The images are taken with a phone. Is there any way I can see the the quality it will be like before I spend all the money? The photo book will be a small book only and the photos/poetry won't be taking up the full page.

Momento   DM

Hi David Your phone photos will have enough resolution to not appear grainy, and we have a yellow quality warning appear if you have scaled the photo to the point where we think it might be pixelated.

When you export your project you'll get a Proof PDF that will allow you to see the impact.

The warning we provide is because photos tend to look lighter and more vibrant on screen than in print, because screens are back-lit.

I hope that helps.

SW farmer

Hi, I'm beginning the process of putting together an illustrated memoir by a friend who is about to turn 80 and wishes to mark the occasion by giving the books to family and friends. When uploading text, I find I am unable to use italic or other formatting on a selected phrase (such as a book title)--the whole contents of the frame responds to the change, not just the selected words. Am I missing something? I'd appreciate early advice because without this function I doubt I would want to go ahead in Momento, in spite of the high quality I have noticed in other aspects.

Momento   DM

Hi Unfortunately the feature you're after is not (yet) supported in our software. I'm sorry that this may be enough to result in you going elsewhere. We write our own software and it's a big job for us to have full text formatting, but we plan to add it eventually.

SW farmer

Thanks Geoff. I appreciate the prompt response.
I realise that Momento is not intended primarily for text-heavy productions, but for things like family histories and memoirs, being able to easily follow a few basic conventions like this would be a great enhancement (and a joy for the editor). Along those lines, I'm wondering too if there is a way of choosing when to start the pagination? I would like to start it from the first page of the first section, not from the beginning of the prelim pages. I'm trying to find ways around all these things to make it work well, if at all possible, before I commit fully to a particular design process.
Thanks again
Jane

Momento   DM

Hi Jane There's no current way to start the page numbering on any other page than 1. This is also in our to do list for the future. The only alternative is to copy an paste a text box to all pages and setting the numbers manually - not a quick or easy solution. If you do this, just make sure you've finished all other page edits so you don't end up having to make updates to the numbering.

SW farmer

Thanks again Geoff. Glad to know it can be done, albeit with a bit of slog. I will give it a go. Looking forward to the time when you get these sorts of things happening for text--it would be fabulous. I hope you have an editor on the team to give that perspective! Cheers, Jane

Jim L.
Jim L.

I have finished writing my book and have exported it as PDF to be reviewed however there is no .mbf file. There is only a .mbk. How can I get a .mbf to submit?
Jim.

Momento   DM

Hi Jim It might be easier to solve this one over the phone - do you mind calling us on 1300 799 764?
Or you can email us your number to sales@momento.com.aua nd we can call you back.

Kay

A question about cover colour, it looks on my preview as if the spine is a different colour than the front and back covers.
I’ve chosen a shade of blue, but I want the spine to be the same.
Has anyone encountered this before?

Momento   DM

Hi Kay, This does happen on some shades of colour. It's not usually noticeable once applied to the book. If you're still concerned, please let us know once your file is uploaded and we can ensure it's exactly the same.

Kay

Thank you so much for your reply.
As you suggested, it was all ok on the proof pdf, once I’d done the final upload.
Just gave me a fright in the planning stage.
All looks good now.
Thank you again for your time in replying.

Hayley N.
Hayley N.

I have always used Momento without issue but now during my current book the “layout” tab is constantly reloading making the process almost unbearable. Every time I apply a layout they constantly reload. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Momento   DM

Hi Hayley I'm sorry your having a frustrating time with your current project.

To help me understand what you're seeing, can you tell me how long it takes for the Layouts panel to redraw?

I think what you're seeing was introduced as a new feature in version 8. The idea is that the templates will always sort to show the best matching layout at the top. So if you have a landscape and a portrait shaped photo on the page, the template that best suits that combination will be at the top.

Do you prefer it when the templates remained in a static sort order? If so, we could make an option in the panel that allows you to choose to not have it auto-sort?

Thanks for your insights

Ian.
Ian.

Is it possible to have two people on different computers work on the same photo book

Momento   DM

Hi Ian You can move the project from one person's computer to another, but two people can't work on the same project at the same time.

There are some things to check in order to make sure the project will open correctly on another computer:
- they'll need top have all the photo files, preferably in the same subfolders. Depending on the size of your project, this can be many megabytes worth, so transferring by a USB device may be easiest
- they'll need the same fonts installed (if you have used any non-standard fonts). This can be difficult if you're moving from Mac to Windows, or vice-versa.
- finally, you'll need to send the project file (.mbk)

The first time the project is opened on another computer, the software will prompt you to tell it where the photos are located. This is very easy if all the photos were in one folder - you simply navigate to the 1st photo it asks for, then it will autopmatically locate all the rest. If your photos are in multiple folders, then you'll need to locate 1 photo for each folder.

The software will then automatically download and install any missing background, frame or embellishment packs.

I hope that helps

Bob R

Is it possible for ordered photo books or calendars to be made available for friends to view.

Momento   DM

Hi Bob. Normally there are 2 ways you can do this, but the second is still being rebuild so requires a little hack...

1. You can open your project in the software and select Export Quick Proof.pdf. This will give you a low resolution PDF that may be s,mall enough to send as an email.

2. Normally, once your project is uploaded, you can just click a link in your Projects list on our website to get a URL to share with friends. But we're still rebuilding this section, so for now you can email us the name of the project you'd like to share and we'll email you the link back.

Sharon

Hello I have done a lot of Momento books & never had a problem. Attempting to make a Grand book as I have before using photos from my Samsung phone. The quality was never an issue. However for some reason every photo I am placing on the page won't allow me to expand as quality symbol appears. I need the photos big. Is there a setting or something I can fo please?

Momento   DM

Hi Sharon. The only cause for this can be that the images are smaller, in terms of the number of pixels in the files. If you get information on the file (in Explorer for Windows, of Finder for Mac) you'll see that the width and height of the images are different.
Did they get to you computer via different means? Sometimes when you send photos via email, text or social media, the size will be reduced.
There isn't too much danger in making the photos a little larger than when the quality warning first appears, but the further you scale up a photo beyond the quality warning, the lower the print quality will be.
I hope that helps, and that you find a way to get the full resolution photos.

Thanks Geoff.
I downloaded directly from my phone to my laptop as I have in the past. Is there a setting at all as I want the photos crisp as they are on my phone in the book.
Many thanks Sharon

Momento   DM

Hi Sharon There is no setting in our software to control the threshold for the quality warning.
Try this experiment - if you put one of your older photos on the page, does it also show the warning?
Another thing, are you making the same sized book? If you're making a grand size book, the quality warning will appear sooner than if you're making a regular size book. To put it another way, you'd need higher resolution photos to fill a grand page than you would for a regular book.
If you'd like me to check one of the photos, please upload it at external link  and drop me a message here when it is uploaded. Please also upload an older photo that didn't show the quality warning.

Bob R

Is it possible to have photos fill the whole page - edge to edge. During page creation this produces a warning.

Hi Bob, It certainly is.

To fully bleed an image on a page you would:
1. Click and drag the image onto the page
2. Right-click on the image
3. Select 'Set Photo As Background'

I hope this helps, Bob!
If you have any further questions, please email us at sales@momento.com.au or call us on 1300 799 764.

Bob R

Thank you for the prompt reply. If I am understanding the above correctly, it does not appear to work with a double page spread. Am I missing something?

Momento   DM

Hi Bob, To fully bleed an image across two pages you'll need to:

1. Click and drag the image into the middle of the two pages
2. Select the 'Fill page' button in the 'Tools' menu

I hope this helps!

Alex

Hi all. I realise this might not be published, but worth a shot! I've printed two Momento books in the past and love the quality. I have about 10 books to create (different albums) so I want to buy them when Momento is having a sale, but I see that the albums are only stored on their servers for 60 days if you don't order. I wanted to see if anyone could tell me when Momento has sales... (I know they do, not sure when!).

Momento   DM

Hi Alex, Thank you for your message.

While we may not store projects on the Momento website for longer than 60 days if they remain unordered, you can always export your projects and have your Master.mbf file ready to upload when you receive a sale email from us.

Unfortunately, our marketing department is who decides when to host sales, and we don't get much warning about when they'll start, so I can't advise you on when our next sale might be exactly. That being said, we do tend to have sales around the end of year holiday season, the new year, Mother's Day and September (Momento's birthday month).

To stay up to date with all our sales, I recommend subscribing to our newsletter and Facebook/Instagram pages. We'll always send out a few emails and make a number of posts whenever we start a sale to let as many people know as possible.

I hope this helps, Alex.

If you have any further questions, you can email us at sales@momento.com.au or call us on 1300 799 764.

Alex

Thank you so much, that’s really helpful!

Kath S.
Kath S.

Is there a way to duplicate pages in the recipe books? I have used the auto generate function that has pages with recipe heading, ingredients etc but i need more pages in the book and if i click add pages they are just blank and I'm trying to avoid having to fill in each pages backgrounds and embellishments

Momento   DM

Hi Kath, Thank you for your message.

The easiest way to do this would be to use the copy all and paste functions.
You can do this by:
1. Select the page you wish to copy
2. Use the keyboard shortcut Crtl + A to select all on the page
3. Use the keyboard shortcut Crtl + C to copy all items on the page
4. Go to the new blank page you've created
5. Use the keyboard shortcut Crtl + V to paste all this content onto the new page

You can then edit the text and images as you please, while still having the same layout.

Thank you, Kath.

C Fletcher

I want to create a photo book with a small amount of text to accompany each photo.They are photos of Nanna as a girl, so some of the photos are VERY small black & white. Will these be usable to enlarge? What resolution is best? Save as Jpeg, Tiff?? Your reviews are great. Chrissy, Melbourne.

Momento   DM

Hi Chrissy If you want them to print at the same size as the actual photo, then scan at 300dpi.
If you want them to print at twice the size, then scan at 600dpi.
If you want them to print at 3 times the size, then scan at 900dpi.
And for those very small matchbox sized prints, use 1200dpi.
A high quality JPEG is fine.

Thank you very much.

Sahra R.
Sahra R.

Hello. Is there a way to remove the momento logo from the back cover? Paying a premium price for a layflat book, I would prefer it not to have it.

Momento   DM

Hi Sahra - all books printed via our consumer service include the Momento logo on the back. If you’re a pro photographer who onsells albums, we can remove the logo.

Pls contact our service team on service@Momento.com.au for more details

RosHas
RosHas

I am working on a new calendar, I will add here that I have been doing these calendars every year for the last 8 years. When I click on folders to import photos, I can see my folders but when I open them they are empty, yet when I go to the folders on my co mputer photos are all there. I have neve encointered this problem before. It did prompt me to do an update when I opened it, could there be a problem with the update. Appreciate any help

Momento   DM

Hi RosHas This sounds like a new bug. If you select the folder (even though it is empty), the photos should appear in the panel on the left. If they don't appear, please check if they are a supported file : JPEG, TIFF, or PNG.
I hope this helps

Di H

My Momento book I want to Export is "stuck" on the Front Cover. There are no "warnings". It is a "mbk" file.
If I choose to Upload instead, using the "mbf" file I have an error warning saying it is not a valid file.
It seems I cannot export or upload.
Please help!

Momento   DM

Hi Di Sorry to hear that you're having this issue. We've had a few other reports like this lately, so we'll be releasing a new version with a fix in the coming weeks.

In the mean-time we have a work around:
- open your project and delete the spine text on your cover
- export your project and upload it
- email the text you'd like on the spine to sales@momento.com.au ( I will let them know to expect your email)
- IMPORTANT - don't order it until Customer Service have replied to tell you that we have added the text on your spine

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Di H

Thank you so much for your help!!
I’m exporting now.

The spine text should read “Central Australia 36/06/22 ~ 13/07/22”

Tracey W.
Tracey W.

Do you have any payment plans available e.g Afterpay Zip etc.?

Momento   DM

Hi Tracey - at this stage we don't have payment plans available, but it is on our wishlist!

David

What is the absolute maximum number of pages I can have in a landscape regular size book?
thankyou

Momento   DM

Hi David For our standard Satin 170gsm paper, the maximum is 200 pages.
The other papers have different maximums - you can see them all here...
external link
Feel free to phone us if you need more details.

Richard

On some of my photos in Memento the photo file name appears beneath the photo in very small text - anyone know how I stop this happening?

Momento   DM

Hi Richard, You can disable this feature in the Text menu.
Text menu > Captions > make sure there is no tick to the left of "Use file name as captions"
You can also clear all captions in that same menu - "Clear all captions"
I hope that helps

Richard

Problem solved - many thanks.

Get an answer from our members and Momento representatives