2Stiebel Eltron SNU

Stiebel Eltron SNU Questions & Answers

Moiz
Moiz · SNU

Hello, I just installed a new Stiebel eltron SNU 5L. When in operation the water is leaking from the inlet/outlet valves. There is no Problem with the connecting pipes/bolts as it was connected to the same model before but that started leaking so I got a new one. I dont understand why is it leaking.

Also, while draining the water is not coming out of the inlet/outlet valves. Any idea what might the problem could be?

Thanks,
Moiz

Stiebel Eltron   DM

Hi Moiz, For assistance with technical issues, please call our customer support team at 1800 153 351.
We're here to help!

Janet
Janet · SNU

I have an SNU 5 underbench hws and it appears to be leaking from the relief valve next to the cold water intake. The unit uses a steibel eltron goose neck tap as supplied. The unit 5 years and 34 weeks old. What can I do

fred

It sounds like a similar problem to what I had. I contacted Steibel and was told that (for me) there was a pin hole leak which was not repairable. Best you contact them and if repairable get a quote first.
So saying I bought a new unit but this time put it in a garden tray in case of leaks.
I guess mine was about 5 years old and nothing lasts for ever.
I still think that as a plumbing product that one can install oneself they are a great product and my new one is working fine but with a little less hot water pressure. Hope yours works out ok.

Muzz_G · SNU 5

Our SNU5 leaks, through what is presumably a relief valve , located on the top side of the unit. We run the unit at 55deg which is lower than the eco setting of 60deg. Very disappointing in what is otherwise a very good appliance

fred

Best post a pic of the area around this valve.
There is no valve on our unit just inlet and outlets for water and a dial for the temperature.
As far as I am aware they vent thought the stiebel Eltron tap which must be used.
We keep our fairly hot as its only 5 ltrs - but have had no problems since setting it up ourselves.
A great bit of kit.

Muzz_G

The relief valve (or whatever it is) is not visible from the outside of the unit. You'd need to take the unit's covers off to see it. It's very close to the cold water inlet. I take it you're an end user not a Steibel rep

Stiebel Eltron   DM

Hi Muzz. We offer local support and are available on 1800 153 351. Feel free to give us a call.

Muzz_G

Can you tell me what this valve (or whatever it is) and what its function is. For as much as I call it a relief valve, such a valve shouldn't be necessary as the unit vents through the special-to-type tap unit

Adrian S.
Adrian S. · SNU

does the STIEBEL ELTRON SNU10 require a pressure limiting inlet valve?

fred

No. This is the joy of the unit - just connect the hose to a mains pressure feed and job done.
But the paperwork states that a stiebel Eltron tap must be used with the heater. I gather the pressure is lost though the tap.
Ours is still going fine.

Rob F · SNU

I have a SNU 5, installed as a replacement of identical model in Nov 2018 with pre-existing tap for the original SNU. I’m noticing the water flow both hot and cold is getting progressively slower over time. Any ideas what's going on?

fred

No but the customer service people, I found to be very helpful.
If me I would satisfy myself that the water was getting into the system OK, could something be causing a jam in the pipe entering the heater/tap? A bit of swarf maybe? I could be persuaded to take the tap off and check the hoses and look for anything that may be causing a blockage then talk to the experts.
Good luck
Our one is still working just fine.

Rob F

Hi Fred, Thanks for the advice. I’ll try what you suggest. I see in the owner’s manual there is a strainer on the inlet side. Maybe that’s blocking up. I’ll try that first. Cheers, Rob

fred

Oh and of course the cartridge could be suspect. One of the experts told me to just buy one from bunnings and if the size is right it will just pop in. I have a bunnings fix-a-tap pack which states that it's a "40mm flat"" made in Taiwan. I'm pretty sure I bought it for the SNU when I was having trouble putting it in!

Rob F

Thanks again for the advice. I have changed cartridges before ( not that one) and it’s fairly easy. I’ll let you know how I go

fred · SNU 5

These things are superb and so easy to install.
But with my secondhand one the "Cold" water gets progressive Hotter the longer the tap is turned on.
Cold connection is fine,
The hot is hot
The connections to the heating unit are the right way round.
A new 40mm flat cartridge has been put in.
Siebel haven't heard of this one before
The mains pressure flow is not huge but pretty reasonable.
Any ideas to get the cold cold anyone?

Stiebel Eltron   DM

The SNU is designed to be connected to cold water supply only. It sounds like the hot water supply is connected to the SNU - but we'd like to troubleshoot this with you further. Feel free to call our service team on 1800 153 351.

KLA
KLA

I had incorrectly assumed it w/could be connected to the hot water supply. That way the first 3L of cold water that arrive via the hot pipe to our kitchen sink could be used to replace the 5L of hot water in the tank, and the next water that came out of the tank would be hot (from our main house system). Now we only have 5L of hot water, and have to wait for the tank to reheat.

fred

Yes I found that out to my embarrassment. It needs a cold feed to be able to give you the cold water. We only really use the sink to rinse stuff before it goes in the dishwasher and cold works for that most of the time. Our hot was set low so no cold mixing was needed but have just turned it up and I find that I have to prat around to get the hot tap as I want it. We have adapted to find that by and large the 5 litre tank is fine for us. Cheers

Get an answer from our members and Stiebel Eltron representatives

Select a listing for your question
Stiebel Eltron SNU