Toyota Kluger GSU50R

Toyota Kluger GSU50R (2014-2019) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: Toyota Kluger GSU50R 2018 and Toyota Kluger GSU50R 2020. GXL (2014-2019), GX (2014-2019) and Grande (2014-2019)

15 questions from our users

Rajab M.

Rajab M.asked

Kluger GSU50R

I bought a brand-new Toyota Kluger GSU55R Grande AWD 2019 from a very reputable Toyota dealer in Sydney in May 2019. Taken for its first service in June 2019 (03/06/2019) with no dramas. Come OCT 2019 took it in for its 6 month service, only done 5000k's, on 25/10/2019, after picking up we heard a ticking/clicking sound emanating from the engine bay area while the engine is on. We took it back immediately the same morning and told them about the sound. Toyota kept it there for the remainder of the day and was told it was fine and there was no issue and it was due to it being a fresh oil change and we were advised to take it home and if the noise is persisting, bring it back. My wife had to walk to and from the dealership 6 times that day for the same problem (as we are within walking distance from the service centre). The noise persisted and I rang them immediately that afternoon, I spoke to a Toyota Rep he noted to me that it was crank slap a term he used to explain away the sound we are hearing, in his words It is when the crank shaft slaps the oil in the sump causing a sound to be heard. I exclaimed that this explanation was not good enough and this is a brand-new car and have never encountered a problem such as this with new cars. When I speak to them further about the problem, He then said that he will rebook for a new oil change the next day with a loan car replacement for the day (which was a crappy little outdated Yaris btw) Toyota kept our Kluger there for the entire day from 08:30am till 03:00pm They produce good constructive explanatory statements for customers. The Toyota Rep told me that a case has been put through to Toyota Australia and that it was the hydraulic valve lifter on cylinder number 3 that was noisy and that they will need the Kluger for 2-3 days to replace the faulty hydraulic lifter, pending warranty case approval from Toyota. We were told that it was safe to drive by the Toyota Rep. Now Toyota Australia is involved. Why this problem? Is it because of the incompetent technicians who cant troubleshoot, is it a factory defect or is it purely lack of care? It is not a cheap model! We paid to drive and enjoy the car, not sitting at workshop for technicians to learn or do trial & error work or come up with elusive answers to explain away a serious problem.

Anyone encounter similar problems would love to hear about it...? I have this feeling its going to be a long road and would love some insights of people who've dealt with Toyota with warranty issues.

Michael P.

Michael P.asked

Kluger GSU50R

My2008 kluger rear door willnot open.Not auto lift.when I unlock the car, all other doors can be opened.I can hear a clicking sound in the door,but won't open.Have opened the access panel but can see no lever to open door from inside.Any ideas welcome

Garry H.
Garry H.

there is a button in the glove box which turns the tailgate door on/off. sounds like you have accidentally pressed it

KUMUDUasked

GSU50R GXL 2WD

I bought a brand-new Toyota Kluger GSU50R GXL 2WD - 2019 from a very reputed Toyota dealer in July 2019. Couple of days after the delivery the Air conditioner went faulty. When I speak to them, they tell you things like to a 5y old child expecting us to believe. Normally any service reps from any dealer ships from any manufacturers are very bad. They produced good constructive explanatory statements for customers. They just don’t tell you the truth. I have been in to this dealership 4 times for the same problem. Still not working. Now Toyota Australia is involved. Why this problem keeps coming like this? Is this because of the incompetent technicians of the dealer who can’t trouble shoot this or is it a factory defect? It is not a cheap model! We paid to drive, not sitting at workshop for technicians to learn or do trial & error work. Its my money & my car.
What Lemon Car! What an Unbreakable Toyota!

Jamie
Jamie

Can you explain exactly whats wrong with the aircon? (tell me as if I'm a technician you need to help point where to look)

KUMUDU

when turn on the Air conditioner no cold air. Inside the car is fogging up if you use the heater. first time they said it was a human error at the factory. Drove home next day no Air conditioner working again (no cold air) . Took it back to the dealer that time they kept the car for two days & use some dye to see where the gas leak is. After a day or so they said found the problem & it is the compressor int going faulty. I knew it was a load of garbage. In a brand new car ? what a joke. Then it took them nearly a week to get the compressor from Japan. Fitted in after 1.5 months later no air con again. Took it back again then they said the gas was too much last time when they regassed. So they I think they patched up again & so far its ok. waiting to pass 1.5 months to see what happens next. Thanks

Mahsan S.

Mahsan S.asked

GSU50R Grande 2WD

Is this a better car than the kluger GX? Whats with the fuel consumption with Grande? Anyone had precious experience with this? Many thanks in advance.

Phan

Phanasked

GSU50R GX

Can open and close window by key on Toyota Kluger GX 2018?

Tarynasked

Kluger GSU50R

My kluger grande automatic tailgate / boot / rear door has been playing up and won't open close properly anymore, i pushed it closed the other day as it stopped with about a 20cm gap and now its not operating at all. Has this happened to anyone else please? Not sure what to do. Toyota dealership advised approx $2000 for a replacement boot motor if thats the problem.

Ants
Ants

I am having the same issue

Misty
Misty

The boot has a auto stop mechanism on it if you push the button even by accident when it's mid range or even a centimetre away from the closing point it will automatically stop it needs to be reset to be able to open correctly there's something about it in the manual without me having the manual in front of you I can't tell you exactly how to do it but yeah try repressing the button again and holding it in for a couple of seconds it should reset itself and work functionally again

Taryn

Turned out I needed the gas lift motors replaced, $3000 later they are working. Seems to be a known fault but my car was almost 4 years old when it started happening.

Anita B

Anita Basked

Kluger GSU50R

Hi, We are looking to buy a car that we want to be able to take off road. Probably not extreme off road, but we love exploring Darwin and Northern Australia. My husband wants a Mitsubishi Pajero, but I would like something that is a little more comfortable for when we aren't off road as I also do a lot of KMs for work around Metro Perth. Has anyone driven this car around Australia and used it for 4 wheel driving and also towing up to 1 tonne boat? Thanks.

Gadget man
Gadget man

I'm actually considering buying a Kluger, but I wouldn't take it anywhere more extreme than the access roads into Wyalunga or John Forrest National Parks. It might have optional AWD, but it's not made for off-road at all. It also only comes with a petrol V6, whereas a diesel is much better for long fuel range, and low-down torque for towing. Sorry, but I think your husband is on the right track with the Pajero. It is quite comfortable and feels fairly nimble for a full-size 4WD. My parents have taken one around Oz about 4 times with a caravan and loved it.

Jag

Jagasked

Kluger GSU50R

I have 2016 Toyota Kluger , screen went blank. I have change battery & alternator, screen is still blank. I wonder how to fix it. Thanks

Abdallah

Abdallahasked

Kluger GSU50R

Hi, my 2014 kluger wouldn't start this morning, had never had any problems with this vehicle but now. Battery seems ok, so i don't understand what might be the problem?

Tiff1971

Hi, I'm sorry, unfortunately I have no mechanical knowledge regarding cars. I'm afraid I can't help you. Could be your alternator? You definitely need to consult a qualified mechanic.

RC Mataakama

RC Mataakamaasked

Kluger GSU50R

Is it normal for the driver's seat button for the chair to move and back and forth to not work as I've only just gotten the car recently and now it won't move back or forth it's a 2014 Toyota Kluger

whufcray
whufcray

I have no idea. Mine is an older kluger

Tiff1971

Hi, I dont actually have a button on mine. I have a lever. The lever moves loosely though and takes extra effort to pull beyond to move the seat.

Maz

Mazasked

Kluger GSU50R

Can I change my 2WD 2016 Kluger into an AllWD, and, if so, how much would it cost?

David G

David Gasked

Kluger GSU50R

does anyone have any comments about its off road ability in 4x4?

Steven

Stevenasked

Kluger GSU50R

2016 Kluger. Speed o out by 7km , is that normal for them? Toyota says can not be fixed. Get sick of the tight suspension on not so good roads, is US version softer riding, if yes I could import new shocks for it.

The Truth
The Truth

Most new cars have speedo set 5 to 7 km under actual speed so they are not liable if you are over the speed limit. I like the suspension on the car not sure if its personal preference or an issue on yours.

Ian
Ian

if you where to put a lower profile tyres on the speedo will be affected by about 2.5% for each size change

Rob5945

Rob5945asked

Kluger GSU50R

I notice the 2014 onwards Klugers don't have a digital speedo. Is there a way Toyota can fit one?

Scott
Scott

Just driven a Klugar Grande AWD (Jan 2015 build date) today. This has an option to show a digital speed display. Not sure if this is on all 2015 build models or just on the Grande.

Sam

Samasked

Kluger GSU50R

What is the difference between toyota kluger gxl 2014 and 2015? Or is there a difference at all?thanks

memaidgem
memaidgem

price

Jassi
Jassi

Bsm , sunroof, different alloys, lane change warning , auto boot gate

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives