Optus Broadband

35 questions from our users

Craig

Craigasked

Mobile Broadband

Huawei B818 modem and mobile broadband is extremely unreliable, sometimes it works perfectly at 40M/p/s some times 0.2m/p/s. When you plug in ethernet cable Huawei B818-completely stops working. I want to understand how to fix?

Ananta N.

Ananta N.asked

ADSL

I am trying to cancel Optus service and calling them. But it is really hard to connect with them . I how can I cancel their service without making phone call to them?

Mike P
Mike P

Hi Ananta. None that I know of. I tried using messaging - but then the message app says you need to call 1300343302. So - looks like a long wait on hold ahead of you...
Mike

ralph.dixon.3990

ralph.dixon.3990asked

How much to buy the B818 4G WiFi Modem outright

Hi Ralph,

Optus list the B818 modem as part of a month to month plan with the price being $281 for the first month ($216 for the modem and $65 for the 200GB plan). Due to this, I would believe that $216 would be the RRP for this modem.

You might be better off calling your closest Optus store (if they're still open at all with this pandemic happening) as I have had to go to one of their stores to purchase a modem outright in the past (or in my case, a replacement modem due to dropping my old one and breaking it). I can't remember if I had to prove that I had an existing plan with them already so if you're trying to buy a modem without having a plan be sure to check that you can buy one in that situation first.

Also, if you're currently on one of the Wireless Broadband plans, there is a clause in the Critical Information Summary which says that you can't remove the SIM from your existing device so if you are looking to replace your current device with this modem be sure to check that you can do so.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Zach.

Dante L.

Dante L.asked

Broadband

This is worst Broadband igive to optus less than cero star worst custumer services i been 2 days without internet then can help me know igonna change provider

Kim M.

Kim M.asked

Will my 500gig role over on to the next lot if I don't use it all that month

Hi Kim,

It's probably a bit late for my reply but I'll answer nonetheless.

Data doesn't rollover, if you don't use all of your 500GB for the month, you'll still only get your standard 500GB for the next month.

Zach.

BobBasked

NBN 50 (Speed Pack 3)

Anyone out there with INDEPENDENT advice about 4G Home Broadband as compared with NBN?

BobBasked

NBN 50 (Speed Pack 3)

Is it not true to say that nearly all the terrible reviews about NBN are the fault of NBN Co., not so much of the Service Providers (in this case Optus) ? In reading most reviews, it seems that the rollout of the NBN is just another example of a Labor Government's disasters, such as the "pink batts" debacle and the enormously wasteful "Building Education Revolution" (BER).

annie
annie

The roll out of the NBN is a disaster because the Liberal government chose the cheapest option, not the best option which was to be implemented by the previous Labor government!

DIANNE S.
DIANNE S.

....yes. We can blame Uncle Tony for fibre to the node rather than fibre to the house! ....and as for the BER Bob, my school had 6 old demountable classrooms replaced by a state of the art air conditioned 2 story brick building. A lot of tradies, architects and landscapers were kept in full time employment thanks to that program!

BobB

One lucky school amongst the dozens of other unneeded, unnecessery; another ALP waste that could have been so much better utilised. Bit like the current State Lib waste on the CBDSW TRAMS. As for blaming Tony for the NBN, it was more to do with former Comms minister Conroy (ALP) who ignored the advice from Telstra boss Sol that the NBN would be obsolete before halfway done. How true!

Belinda K.

Belinda K.asked

Cable

I have switched from Optus to iinet for Internet/Fetch, but the installation has not yet happened. Despite this, my Fetch has been cut off. Can you also cut off WIFI before the new one is installed?
I feel like I've been treated badly - it may give me cause to move my mobile phones as well. please advise what your policy is around this.

Linda Molloyasked

NBN 12 (Speed Pack 1)

Why am I still receiving bills for wifi and not receiving bill for new nbn?

Techie
Techie

Only Optus could advise on this. If they are unable to resolve it put a report in the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) as is your right.

Mark D.
Mark D.

Call them right away as you'll probably be getting charged for both. Leave Optus while you can. Good luck wasting time talking to a service team based in India

Linda Molloy

I’ve called numerous times. They even tell me my mobile phone is not listed with them. They send the bills though! And I pay them. Am yet to receive a bill for my NBN.

kathy

kathyasked

Broadband

Is anyone having slow internet on there phone

Juliana G

Juliana Gasked

Broadband

Is anyone able to inform Optus' contention ratio for ADSL+ service on the postcode 2049?
I tried customer service but they were unable to give me that information.

Steve

Go to the Optus website and put your address into the check availability panel.

mehwinnie

mehwinnieasked

Broadband

optus cable for reservoir VIC area, what do you guys reckon? have been using adsl2+ and its horrible from dodo (Telstra). Thanks in advance

Miniduasked

Broadband

Is optus NBN is good in Berwick VIC ? I am looking to sign up with them with 50mbps plan include land line 24 month contract. Are they providing better serice in my area ?
Please give me any ideas and suggestions?
thanks guys.....

Tarun G
Tarun G

Optus NBN is one of the worst NBN as per my experience. I would recommend to go with Mates NBN or Aussie Broadband as per what I have read on product review. I have just joined Mates NBN and haven't experienced any issues yet. Give them a go as you do get cooling off period in case if you are not happy.

Minidu

Is optus have good progress? I so many bad reviews on them. Have they give good connections for new customers?

Steve

I have Optus on High Frequency Cable in Melbourne. In 2 years I haven't had many real problems. I paid for and got 30mbps (@ $60/mth) till about a year ago when the Speedtest numbers started dropping - sometimes down to 2 mbps. I plan to go to their 50mbps plan (@ $70/mth) where they reckon I should get at least 40mbps during peak time (7-11pm).

Wali

Waliasked

Broadband

Which ADSL+2 would be best for Hectorville SA 5073 area?

Ian
Ian

ANYONE but Optus mate.
Check if you can get NBN and/or when it's coming. Otherwise just look at monthly no-contract plans from companies based in Australia with local call centres to tide you over until the NBN gets to you.

DC1970

DC1970asked

Broadband

What is the best provider / plans for broadband in greenacre nsw 2190?

Try aussie broadband for NBN

Joan Corica

Joan Coricaasked

Broadband

Over the past two or so weeks My Optus mobile phone service has been dropping out, not able to call, not able to receive calls ,messages not sending, messages not receiving... YES my account is paid. LOL. all of this is intermittent not all the time. the phone is a Samsung 5 only 3 months old. Can anyone help please?

Kanye

maybe coverage issue or try trouble shooting the Samsung device eg reset network setting etc

Fanzi

Fanziasked

Broadband

Who is the best nbn provider in Victoria?

Aus broadband

Ray
Ray

Aussie broadband

Anone Mouz
Anone Mouz

OPTUS
They are hampered by the dreaded NBN and by their decision to off-shore their support; however, if you are persistent (sorry I know you don't have the time) the wins are real.

Pamela A

Pamela Aasked

Broadband

I have read heaps of the Optus reviews it’s so terrible the amount of people Optus is letting down including myself. My question is how do I change companies when they have locked me into a contract?? I’m so sick of internet dropping out larger bills every month and being caught in the middle of nowhere when my navigator drops out from internet rrrrr please help!!

Hi there Pamela.
If they arent providing the service you are paying for you can ask for a release of contract , if they refuse you just have to file a complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman and the will definitely let you leave free of charge.
Im sorry you had the misfortune of being with Optus, they are a discraceful company!

Steven Pigeon H

Steven Pigeon Hasked

Broadband

Who should I go for I am new renting and I am stuck. I want nbn setup best for value with set up and constant high mbps. I have looked at reviews from most providers and they are all mostly bad but best ones is $90 with optus at 80mbps but with myrepublic is 60 bucks for 100mbps with 40 upload so I am not to sure.

But if anyone is with any of those providers please tell me how good and bad they are I wanna go with optus or myrepublic.

Cheap is great but you get what you pay for so I am not sure.

Frans
Frans

Optus speed is not even half of what they claim to be

Kev H
Kev H

Hi Steve,

I haven't had any experience with any other NBN providers, so can't really comment on myrepublic. You must remember that many people only review products that they have had problems with, so you don't see as many reviews from satisfied customers.

Remember that the up & download speeds are only the maximum possible on any plan & will be affected by many factors, distance from the node (FTTN), the number of users online etc. so complaints about speeds may be out of the control of the provider. I can say that I am happy with the support service that I received from Optus, but having been in the retail trade for many years, I am more patient than many consumers & understand that not every problem can be fixed in an instant. I would hope that the larger providers would have better support services, but then they also have more customers to support (more customers who write bad reviews?) ....

I can only say that I am happy with Optus. Good luck with your choice.

Bill R
Bill R

Optus official (internal directive) is that if they deliver 405 speed offered thats good enough and staff should not raise a fault. I personaly recommend yuou go with My republic. Their customer service is slow/ poor but I beleive they will get you high speed for a fraction of the cost. Optus is more than worful, telstra plain useless and the others such as TPG etc are just gouging customers. Aussies paid for the NBN through our taxes but the comms providers complained so the NBN now uses old legacy equipment in a hybrid with the new NBN hence the lousy and varied capability and the Government adds insult to the lies they told by also allowing these used car dealers aka Coms cos (apologies to the used car trade who are far better) to then carve up the 100MBPS bandwidth / speed in expensive secrtions. then not even deliver. The Ombudsmans office is just a smoke screen to shut up persistent complaints. Write your minister to sort it out

Julian

Julianasked

Broadband

I just moved into a newly built unit and I am trying to avoid the $299 New Connection Fee, since there is no existing line. Some dude from iSelect recommended the Optus 24 month adsl2 contract, saying that Optus will waive this new connection fee, therefore no upfront costs.

Is this correct? I can't find any official info on the Optus website. All they say is that an existing landline is required.

ArchieF
ArchieF

What was your outcome in this matter?
I'm in a similar situation and after continually asking the question over and over to a customer service representative I got the answer of "If the phone line is not active you must contact Telstra and set it up.", "Optus will not do this". This obviously is nowhere in their contract information and you'd receive this cost as a 'surprise' after signing up and they tell you Telstra had to come out and charge to set up the line. So to answer your question, that is incorrect and you'll have to pay a new line fee to Telstra

Steve

Go to the Optus website and use the online chat facility to get quick(ish) info.

Other Internet Service Providers