Optus Broadband

30 questions from our users

BobB

BobBasked

NBN 50 (Speed Pack 3)

Anyone out there with INDEPENDENT advice about 4G Home Broadband as compared with NBN?

BobB

BobBasked

NBN 50 (Speed Pack 3)

Is it not true to say that nearly all the terrible reviews about NBN are the fault of NBN Co., not so much of the Service Providers (in this case Optus) ? In reading most reviews, it seems that the rollout of the NBN is just another example of a Labor Government's disasters, such as the "pink batts" debacle and the enormously wasteful "Building Education Revolution" (BER).

annie
annie

The roll out of the NBN is a disaster because the Liberal government chose the cheapest option, not the best option which was to be implemented by the previous Labor government!

Belinda K.

Belinda K.asked

Cable

I have switched from Optus to iinet for Internet/Fetch, but the installation has not yet happened. Despite this, my Fetch has been cut off. Can you also cut off WIFI before the new one is installed?
I feel like I've been treated badly - it may give me cause to move my mobile phones as well. please advise what your policy is around this.

Linda Molloyasked

NBN 12 (Speed Pack 1)

Why am I still receiving bills for wifi and not receiving bill for new nbn?

Techie
Techie

Only Optus could advise on this. If they are unable to resolve it put a report in the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) as is your right.

Mark D.
Mark D.

Call them right away as you'll probably be getting charged for both. Leave Optus while you can. Good luck wasting time talking to a service team based in India

Linda Molloy

I’ve called numerous times. They even tell me my mobile phone is not listed with them. They send the bills though! And I pay them. Am yet to receive a bill for my NBN.

kathy

kathyasked

Is anyone having slow internet on there phone

Juliana G

Juliana Gasked

Is anyone able to inform Optus' contention ratio for ADSL+ service on the postcode 2049?
I tried customer service but they were unable to give me that information.

Steve

Go to the Optus website and put your address into the check availability panel.

mehwinnie

mehwinnieasked

optus cable for reservoir VIC area, what do you guys reckon? have been using adsl2+ and its horrible from dodo (Telstra). Thanks in advance

Miniduasked

Is optus NBN is good in Berwick VIC ? I am looking to sign up with them with 50mbps plan include land line 24 month contract. Are they providing better serice in my area ?
Please give me any ideas and suggestions?
thanks guys.....

Tarun G
Tarun G

Optus NBN is one of the worst NBN as per my experience. I would recommend to go with Mates NBN or Aussie Broadband as per what I have read on product review. I have just joined Mates NBN and haven't experienced any issues yet. Give them a go as you do get cooling off period in case if you are not happy.

Minidu

Is optus have good progress? I so many bad reviews on them. Have they give good connections for new customers?

Steve

I have Optus on High Frequency Cable in Melbourne. In 2 years I haven't had many real problems. I paid for and got 30mbps (@ $60/mth) till about a year ago when the Speedtest numbers started dropping - sometimes down to 2 mbps. I plan to go to their 50mbps plan (@ $70/mth) where they reckon I should get at least 40mbps during peak time (7-11pm).

Wali

Waliasked

Which ADSL+2 would be best for Hectorville SA 5073 area?

Ian
Ian

ANYONE but Optus mate.
Check if you can get NBN and/or when it's coming. Otherwise just look at monthly no-contract plans from companies based in Australia with local call centres to tide you over until the NBN gets to you.

DC1970

DC1970asked

What is the best provider / plans for broadband in greenacre nsw 2190?

Try aussie broadband for NBN

Joan Corica

Joan Coricaasked

Over the past two or so weeks My Optus mobile phone service has been dropping out, not able to call, not able to receive calls ,messages not sending, messages not receiving... YES my account is paid. LOL. all of this is intermittent not all the time. the phone is a Samsung 5 only 3 months old. Can anyone help please?

Kanye

maybe coverage issue or try trouble shooting the Samsung device eg reset network setting etc

Fanzi

Fanziasked

Who is the best nbn provider in Victoria?

Aus broadband

Ray
Ray

Aussie broadband

Anone Mouz
Anone Mouz

OPTUS
They are hampered by the dreaded NBN and by their decision to off-shore their support; however, if you are persistent (sorry I know you don't have the time) the wins are real.

Pamela A

Pamela Aasked

I have read heaps of the Optus reviews it’s so terrible the amount of people Optus is letting down including myself. My question is how do I change companies when they have locked me into a contract?? I’m so sick of internet dropping out larger bills every month and being caught in the middle of nowhere when my navigator drops out from internet rrrrr please help!!

Hi there Pamela.
If they arent providing the service you are paying for you can ask for a release of contract , if they refuse you just have to file a complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman and the will definitely let you leave free of charge.
Im sorry you had the misfortune of being with Optus, they are a discraceful company!

Steven Pigeon H

Steven Pigeon Hasked

Who should I go for I am new renting and I am stuck. I want nbn setup best for value with set up and constant high mbps. I have looked at reviews from most providers and they are all mostly bad but best ones is $90 with optus at 80mbps but with myrepublic is 60 bucks for 100mbps with 40 upload so I am not to sure.

But if anyone is with any of those providers please tell me how good and bad they are I wanna go with optus or myrepublic.

Cheap is great but you get what you pay for so I am not sure.

Frans
Frans

Optus speed is not even half of what they claim to be

Kev H
Kev H

Hi Steve,

I haven't had any experience with any other NBN providers, so can't really comment on myrepublic. You must remember that many people only review products that they have had problems with, so you don't see as many reviews from satisfied customers.

Remember that the up & download speeds are only the maximum possible on any plan & will be affected by many factors, distance from the node (FTTN), the number of users online etc. so complaints about speeds may be out of the control of the provider. I can say that I am happy with the support service that I received from Optus, but having been in the retail trade for many years, I am more patient than many consumers & understand that not every problem can be fixed in an instant. I would hope that the larger providers would have better support services, but then they also have more customers to support (more customers who write bad reviews?) ....

I can only say that I am happy with Optus. Good luck with your choice.

Bill R
Bill R

Optus official (internal directive) is that if they deliver 405 speed offered thats good enough and staff should not raise a fault. I personaly recommend yuou go with My republic. Their customer service is slow/ poor but I beleive they will get you high speed for a fraction of the cost. Optus is more than worful, telstra plain useless and the others such as TPG etc are just gouging customers. Aussies paid for the NBN through our taxes but the comms providers complained so the NBN now uses old legacy equipment in a hybrid with the new NBN hence the lousy and varied capability and the Government adds insult to the lies they told by also allowing these used car dealers aka Coms cos (apologies to the used car trade who are far better) to then carve up the 100MBPS bandwidth / speed in expensive secrtions. then not even deliver. The Ombudsmans office is just a smoke screen to shut up persistent complaints. Write your minister to sort it out

Julian

Julianasked

I just moved into a newly built unit and I am trying to avoid the $299 New Connection Fee, since there is no existing line. Some dude from iSelect recommended the Optus 24 month adsl2 contract, saying that Optus will waive this new connection fee, therefore no upfront costs.

Is this correct? I can't find any official info on the Optus website. All they say is that an existing landline is required.

ArchieF
ArchieF

What was your outcome in this matter?
I'm in a similar situation and after continually asking the question over and over to a customer service representative I got the answer of "If the phone line is not active you must contact Telstra and set it up.", "Optus will not do this". This obviously is nowhere in their contract information and you'd receive this cost as a 'surprise' after signing up and they tell you Telstra had to come out and charge to set up the line. So to answer your question, that is incorrect and you'll have to pay a new line fee to Telstra

Steve

Go to the Optus website and use the online chat facility to get quick(ish) info.

Josh

Joshasked

If I play Xbox and someone's watching YouTube will I lag and or will it be slow if so should I go with Telstra

Chunny
Chunny

If it's ADSL 2 then no matter who you go with it will be the same. That is below 7 Mbps. I usually get about 6 Mbps. Slow

Ex Customer
Ex Customer

Stay Away! I stopped gaming because of their slow and unreliable internet (Constant dropouts) and worse than dial up speeds!

Boo
Boo

Do not get Floptus!!!

Keita

Keitaasked

Hi there, I am thinking of getting Optus Wireless Home Broadband(12/1mps). The main reason of getting it to play online gaming (FIFA17 on PlayStation 4). I would like to know if it works fine?

miché
miché

Hello, I did not check gaming with Optus, but for all other instances (e.g. weeb browsing, etc.) I would not choose them again for any reason. Way too slow and unreliable.
I hope this helps.

Don't. Stay away.

Kean Teong Tan
Kean Teong Tan

Noooooooo..their internet is way toooo sloooooowwwww

christinasurplice

christinasurpliceasked

I've just moved into a rental , which has a coaxial cable .
The owner recommend Optus .
Has anyone had any issues with this type of Broadband?
Christina

compcomp

Just don't go with Optus. They used to have pretty good customer service but now it's just non-existent.

OZFox40
OZFox40

I would politely suggest that you go with YOUR CHOICE of provider if you have not already done so, since YOU are the one paying for the internet service, NOT the home owner/landlord. I was an Optus customer a few years ago but had issues with their ADSL/ADSL2 service (not the customer service as I rarely spoke to them) - which was due partly to a faulty modem they had sent me - took a week to replace but that was due to a mix-up at their end. You don't have to get Optus just because your landlord recommended it - check the reviews about that ISP first before you make a final decision.

Roseepetals
Roseepetals

Cable is fine, better than adsl, I'm with telstra best of the worst

Russasked

Constant drop outs, constant slow net speed, phone rings we lose signal. Optus have told us many different stories as to why it is like this, not sure which one to believe. Today I have 0.56 mbs this is our normal weekend speed and weekdays are only marginally better. Was told this was getting fixed several months ago (another story) in time for the EPL (English premier league) funny how they fix it when there is more money on the line but for years we have suffered. When are these "fixes" going to happen?

gaerryn.cronin

Never. Optus is a corrupt company and anyone who has a brain needs to go to the corruption reporting website and report it

Lirley

Lirleyasked

What is Optus wireless like ???have been wireless with vivid for 6+ years only to be dumped as now there is no service in the area so need to find something else ASAP I live in Port Kennedy WA

yunus
yunus

it is terrible. I started about a month ago and more often then not I struggle to load a page in less then a minute. Very disappointed. I am going to write to them and ask for a refund on my modem which I paid upfront for and a refund on the prepaid second months charges.

Russ

It is more than terrible, it is appalling. My wireless has 0.56 mbs today, this is our speed most weekends and some week days.

compcomp

Appalling. Look anywhere but Optus.

Get an answer from our members and Optus representatives

Other Internet Service Providers