Booktopia Questions & Answers

150 questions from our users

Gawain B.asked

Why is the price of my titles so expensive compared with other online booksellers?

I am an Australian author who uses Ingram Spark. They have a POD factory in Melbourne.

I would love my readers to support Booktopia but the price difference is sending them to cheaper booksellers

Hi Gawain,

We're sorry for any confusion. Please reach out to us with the ISBNs of the books you have questions about. We'll be able to assist you more then.

Gawain B.

Thank you David for your reply. Where should I contact Booktopia with my ISBN information? Would you have an email adress for this?

My titles - ISBN: 9780987643001 & ISBN: 9780987643018 Thank you

lys r.

lys r.asked

Are temporarily out of stock books really going to be restocked? How long does it normally take?

Hi Lys,

Thanks for your question.

It depends on the title. It may be a few weeks or it could be several months. If you want an answer on a specific book I can look into it for you, just send me the link or ISBN.

Deborah
Deborah

I would suggest sending a message to Booktopia as they are really the only one's who could answer this question.
Regards
Deb

Alicia H.

Alicia H.asked

I keep getting charged 7c i’ve paid for my book in full but these random 7c keep coming out and i’d love to know why?

Vicki
Vicki

I haven't had this happen to me yet, I paid for it by PayPal. may be you should contact them about this.

Hi Alicia,

Thank you for your question. When you place an order on our website using a credit card, we will charge a nominal amount of $0.07 as a pre-authorisation. This simply validates the card and should automatically drop off of your bank statement within 7-14 business days.

I hope this has been helpful!

Isabelle

Elise R

Elise Rasked

I downloaded a book onto my app but it would only load onto my old iPad not the new. Do I have to delete the app on the old one and then download my purchase onto my new iPad?

Hi Elise,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty using our app. I would advise to delete the Booktopia app on both devices and redownload the app on just your newer device.

Let me know if that has resolved the matter for you.

Isabelle

Mon

Monasked

Hi I placed a order today, I got a email saying one of the items won’t be in stock until the 9th of November. Will my other items be shipped out sooner or so I have to wait?

Sharon VK
Sharon VK

That's happened to me and they shipped the rest of the order, then the other when it came into stock.

Hi Mon,

Sharon is correct. We ship in stock items first and any additional items as they arrive from suppliers. You won't have to wait until November for your whole order.

Tjmasked

Why does the app tell me that I am also reading on another device and do I want to use that bookmark when I only ever read it on this Ipad
Also on occasions the app crashes and needs to be re started.

Hi Tim,

Have you logged in to the app on any other device? That's the only reason you should be seeing that option.

Tjm

I have the app on my phone but have not used it to read a book

Hi there,

It won't have any saved bookmarks but it'll still appear as an option. Just in case you ever do start reading using that other app.

Vicki G.

Vicki G.asked

How do I go between books on the kobo reading app? I seem to be stuck on the book I’m currently reading and can’t access the other book I’ve bought. The sale has definitely been processed by Booktopia.
Thanks Vicki

Kate
Kate

Vicki G. Unfortunately I don't use the reading app. I still like the feel of the book. I hope someone else will be able to help. Try going to kobo site for help. Good Luck.

Hi Vicki,

You should be able to go back to the main menu at any time by clicking the arrow in the top left of the screen. The arrow isn't always there but if you tap the screen it will appear.

If you have any further issues, please let me know.

Natasha L.

Natasha L.asked

How can I access my ebook via Kobo app on my laptop?

Hi Natasha,

Thanks for your message.

Once you've installed the app. You'll need to log in with your existing Booktopia account on the Kobo Desktop app. To do this you need to click on the "More Sign-In Options" on the main sign-in window. There you will have the option to select Booktopia.

Once you're logged in, the app will automatically sync all your purchases from your Booktopia account.

Christineasked

Hi. How can I look up definitions using the Booktopia e-reader app please? There’s a magnifying glass icon but it seems to only be a search within the book. Thanks.

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your message.

The definitions are pulled from the internet. If you click and hold to highlight a word, a small overlaid window will appear in the lower part of the screen with a definition. If you are offline it won't appear.

Christine

Thanks David - that works! but soooooo s l o w l y!! I think I could grab a dictionary and look it up myself quicker :) Good to know though, and thank you for answering my question. Christine

Bev L.

Bev L.asked

Do you have PayPal

Hi Bev,

Yes we do accept PayPal. You can see all payment options on our website here: https://www.booktopia.com.au/helpCentre.ep?p=ordering&o=payment-methods#

Please get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

small businessasked

I have ordered a book from you on 23rd May 2020 Booktopia Order Confirmation - 11258102 and as today 12/7/20 have not received it. I have sent numerous emails to you without reply. Please can you help.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. I've had a look at your order.

The reason you haven't received any book yet is because you ordered the ebook not the physical book. You can access this book through either the Booktopia app on smartphone or tablet or the Kobo app on your computer.

I understand that you may prefer a physical edition so if you'd like we can cancel the order and issue you a store credit. We're unable to exchange the ebook for a physical book but you can use the store credit on a new order for the physical edition.

Please let me know if you'd like the instructions for a particular device or the store credit.

small business

Thank you for your reply I would prefer a store credit thank you

Hi there,

Thank you for your response. Your order has now been cancelled. A store credit will be issued to your Booktopia account which can be used on a future purchase with us. You will receive an e-mail once the credit has been completed and store credits are valid for 12 months after the date of issue.

If you have any other enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.

toothsomeasked

I read in landscape which makes the lines of text very long, and am unable to find a setting for 2 columns. V disappointing.

Hi there,

I may be able to help. Are you using our app or the Kobo app? Which device are you using?

toothsome

using rakutenkobo on iPad - no response with older app (from earlier this year)

toothsome

The other thing I really do not like about your app is the search function. I have been unable to use the magnifying glass to find any word within the text. To my mind that is supposed to be a significant benefit of e-books. Sadly, unavailable. And I am still waiting for your reply to my previous post! I also tried emailing your feedback on the website and have had no reply. Not terribly responsive, you guys.

ALF B

ALF Basked

I am buying for the first time, I am trying to apply the discount codes but to no avail. What can I do?

Hi Alf,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty. What discount codes are you trying to use? What screen are you on on our website?

Kristie Rogers

Kristie Rogersasked

Hi there I have bought a book a couple of days ago and downloaded in on my tablet as I did not have my laptop with me (I actually to prefer to read it on my laptop, however I need to access the book urgently shortly after purchase....it is a textbook!).
I tried to download again onto my laptop today and this is where I will be reading it on. However, I am not able to download it from the same link anymore. When i try the ACSM link to Adobe Digital Editions, it has a error message "Error getting license
License server communication problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER".

Can you please help me?

Mat
Mat

Sorry your problem is not in my expertise, I have never downloaded an e-book before. Try googling your problem and/or contacting booktopia themselves.

Hi Kristie,

Unfortunately I think the issue is too complicated to type out the solution. It's probably best to give us a call or try live chat and have someone walk you through it.

Noah P.

Noah P.asked

I ordered a book (order no. 10716179) almost two months ago and never received it. Can you guys plz help me cancel the order now? plz, reply to me asap ;)
Cheers,
Noah (Zelin PENG)

Hi Noah,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I can see that one of my colleagues has reached out about your order.

Hannah

Hannahasked

Hi there - I purchased a book on 03/03/2020 - order number 10885858

Can you tell me when I can expect it to be delivered please? The published date is the 15/03/2020.

Hannah

Leigh S
Leigh S

Hi Hannah, I don't work for Booktopia I purchased some books from them. Mine came very quickly as they were in stock. Maybe you should contact Booktopia direct or check the last email you received from them with a tracking number. Good luck.

Bec
Bec

Hi Hannah
I have the same answer as Leigh, I don't work for Booktopia I just left a review.
My books were in stock and I received them very quickly.
I have found Booktopia good with communication so maybe send them an email or if you can call them direct with your order number do that.
I can't tell you the exact date I ordered my books, they were in stock, but I received them in probably 10 days, that's including being over Easter break. I was surprised..
Good luck and happy reading when they arrive.

Hi Hannah,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I can see that one of my colleagues has already reached out and responded to your email.

Daniel Sasked

I'm still waiting on an update on order 10755264 placed 14 March. My calls and messages have gone unanswered.

Carmel McCartin
Carmel McCartin

If the book you ordered was out of stock, you may have to wait for that stock to be replenished. Also, the delay could be with AusPost - I had 2 orders as gifts, both made on the same day, and 1 arrived within a week, the other took more than 2 weeks.

Daniel S

Thanks Carmel - yes, you're right.

It has been frustrating to have now waited a month with no updates and no responses to my phone calls (that said use Livechat because they were in a training or something), the Livechat itself (which isn't active) or their usual message system. If they let me know what the problem was it would be far better. Especially when the system still says 7-10 days :)

And now I can order the same item from elsewhere for the same price but don't know what they're doing.

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry for the wait. Your order was shipped over the weekend. It looks like there was a delay due to the supplier not sending us your copy when they said they would. I do apologise for that.

I've refunded you the shipping fee on your order. You should be receiving your order in the next couple of weeks. Please get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Vic

Vicasked

Hello,
I placed an order on 01/04/20, order number is 10865078, I am just wondering if this has been shipped yet and if not, could I get an estimated date on when it will be shipped? Thank you.

Regina
Regina

Sorry I don't work for Booktopia. My order arrived with in a week.

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your question. I've had a look at your order.

We're waiting on more stock of the title you ordered from our supplier. There was a reprint done so it will be a little while before it arrives. I've refunded you the shipping fee on your order for the extended wait.

emilyabeyanayake

emilyabeyanayakeasked

Hi,
I recently purchased $50 worth of books but I haven't received a confirmation email or any kind of word from your website I've emailed you guys twice! I would just like to know when my books are arriving. I check and money has been taken out of my account so I'm assuming there coming.

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your question. Could you please send us a Private message on here with your email address? I'll have a look in our system for it.

Simon

Simonasked

Hi there, when selecting a paperback, often you give two choices of price of the same novel, and there is often a considerable difference in $$. Why? Is it due to quality of the book itself in printing? Size of print? Thank you.

Hi Simon,

Generally when there are two versions of a book with no difference listed in the description or product details it means that one is an Australian ISBN and one is an overseas ISBN. There may be very minor differences in the text (e.g. spellings or word usage) but typically they are identical.

We list both to ensure that if one goes out of print that we can still supply the book. The overseas one is usually the more expensive one as it has to be shipped to Australia before we can send it to our customers.

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

David

Get an answer from our members and Booktopia representatives