142 questions from our users

John

Johnasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi, I just received my renewal policy and my premium increased an exorbitant 46%.
Even taking into consideration any discount I received for my first year membership, I find this increase difficult to quantify.
Also, what is and why am I incurring a "Stamp duty" fee. I cannot find anything in the PDS that explains this charge.

Regards

J

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi John, please can you email your policy number with the above review to insurance@bowwow.com.au and I will send it through to our resolutions team to investigate. Many thanks.

Holly

Hollyasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

If I have claimed and have paid excess already on that claim and it so happens to roll over to my new policy do I have to pay excess again for the same claim?

Honesty
Honesty

Yes, I think you'll find the excess is a yearly thing and per condition which is treated. You might need to read your PDS or check with BWM.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Holly, Honesty is correct. It is during the annual policy period. In other words, you won't need to pay the excess again in the same policy period for the same condition. However, you will need to pay the excess in the new policy period.

Judy F

Judy Fasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

My policy for a 4yo beaglier always insured with you has increased by $136 this year despite no major claims. Seems a lot. Like your co. but considering getting other quotes.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Judy, thanks for reaching out. Please email your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and get back to you. Many thanks.

Shall

Shallasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

does it cover desexing of a puppy

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Shall, our policies don't cover desexing. However, if you include the optional routine care cover with your policy, it will provide limited cover, which is $50 towards desexing (https://bowwowinsurance.com.au/routine-care-cover/).

Amanda

Amandaasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi, I have had bow wow meow insurance for a year now and have just received my renewal and my policy has increased by $200 a year? I understand a slight increase per year but but this seems quite a lot?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Amanda, it is likely that you received a deeply discounted policy in the first yr. Please email your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so I can investigate what occurred. Thanks

lauren m.

lauren m.asked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Would you cover a rescue Chihuahua? - Considering full medical history before 5 years cannot be obtained - Let me know

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Lauren, yes we would. If there is no medical history, we will take history from the point at which you adopted him or her. We just need proof of purchase or a certificate of adoption.

Judith D

Judith Dasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

My dog has had Bow Wow Pet insurance for six years and I was told today he has diabetes will his treatment be covered by Bow Wow pet insurance?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Judith, please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above question and I will confirm with our claims team. Many thanks.

Ella

Ellaasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

I have 2 dogs aged 6.I have been researching pet insurance. My elderly parents( both in 90's) have asked me to take their dog ( aged 7)when they passover. Non of the dogs have any pre existing conditions and are healthy.No hesitation here but can I get a policy to cover my dogs and theirs under MY name as they are pensioners. If no, then when I do take on their dog it maybe over the age of 9. What then?

RD
RD

You will need a full vet history from birth for the dog or the pet insurance will be a waste of time. So if the dog has only been to the one vet should be easy enough but if not, any pet insurance will not allow you to claim and it would be a waste of money. Generally you cannot insure a pet for first time over 9 years of age but check insurance PDS.

Jenny

Jennyasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.

Devil
Devil

I can guarantee that your premiums will skyrocket with this company which is why I cancelled the 3 policies I had with them many years ago which cost me far more than I ever got back. Also 2 policies increased with no claims as much as one policy with claims so don't believe them when they say claim history impacts premiums. Your premiums will increase to cover the cost of the many morons having expensive, unnecessary treatment just because they have insurance not because their pets need it. Take out accident only insurance elsewhere, find a great homeopathic vet who will keep your dogs healthy & you will find that costs far less.

Tania
Tania

Hello I have to agree with this policy holder .. I too have just received my policy renewal for our dog who is just over one year old. Only made one small claim and my policy has increased $276 I could not believe that my policy increased by so much I have only had the policy for 1 year so I can only imagine how much it will increase next year and so on .
I am now in the process of looking elsewhere for my pet insurance and cancelling this policy ( hence how I have stumbled across these reviews ) I called bow wow meow and got someone who gave me the same ridiculous response as above... excuses

My opinion read all the reviews and carefully read the insurance covers and exclusions too And I agree I too have found a great homeopathic vet

Gary

Garyasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi do your policy cover blocked gland? consult at a vet where the vet manually expresses and may have to do this regularly thanks Gary

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Gary, if the glands are being routinely expressed or expressed as a preventative procedure or Elective Treatment by a vet or nurse, this will not be covered. This exclusion is listed under ‘Day to Day’ care in section 6 of the PDS. “preventative procedures and treatment (including, but not limited to, vaccinations, routine gland expression, flea/tick/worm control)”, as well as preventable procedures and Elective Treatments.
In cases where the pet requires medical treatment for the gland due to impaction, infection, abscess or rupture, we may cover the Treatment under Illness Cover provided the Condition is not Pre-existing.

Carol
Carol

Take your dog to somewhere like city farmers or pet barn where they groom animals, they charge one third of what the vets charge ie $15 compared to $40 or learn to do it yourself, fingers at 5 and 7 using a glove

Henry

Henryasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Never made a claim until our beloved dog Henry died aged 9. Phoned Bow Wow Meow who said no need to put extra details in only the most recent treatment that we are making our claim for. Followed all the online prompts only to have a request for ALL vet treatment during his lifetime, pathology reports and X ray results. How come other owners have their claims paid out immediately? Very disappointed!

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Henry, I am sorry you are disappointed - my apologies. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and sort out for you. Thanks

Shane

Shaneasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hello. Why are excesses payable every year after renewal of a policy? Once paid they should at leat last 12 months as long as the policy is renewed annually. Case in point! Dog diagnosed 2 x lifelong ilnesses requiring lifelong medication and testing in February. Insurance renewed in June. $1000 excess payable before claiming in Feb. Then $1000 payable again in June on top of the premium. Is that fair?? Thanks

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Shane, thanks for your enquiry. I am a little confused here as we do not have excesses of $1,000 on any of our policies? The highest excess is on the Major Medical Plan which is $500. In addition, it is a per condition excess. This means that you only need to pay the excess once per year for a particular condition. Once paid for that condition, there is no need to pay again in the policy period UNLESS there is another type of condition you are claiming for. If you would like us to investigate, please send an e-mail with your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. Thanks

rita l

rita lasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Do you cover hip dysplacia if my dog is insured from 8 weeks?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Rita, hip dysplasia is covered provided it is not a pre-existing condition and the first clinical signs do not fall within the waiting period.

Nicole

Nicoleasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi, my puppy is 1 years old and we are covered under the Accident & Illness policy. We took her to the vet as she was really struggling to breath when we were walking her. The vet told us she has an elongated soft palate which makes it really difficult for her to breath when she exercises. The vet also noticed she was standing funny and checked her back legs and she has luxating patellas in both her back legs requiring surgery. Will we be covered for surgery on her soft palate and will she be covered for surgery on both her back legs?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Nicole, I am sorry to hear that. These do fall under the policy cover. However, each claim is assessed on a case by case basis as the Underwriter needs to look at vet history, pre-existing conditions etc. I recommend calling 1800 668 502 to get more clarity. There is also an option to ask for pre-approval - I suggest asking about that too. Wishing your pup a speedy recovery.

Karen E

Karen Easked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

If my dog has had an operation previously for a burst disc, will it still be covered? It was not degenerative, but another dog fell on him.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Karen, your dog will be covered for everything in the PDS, except for conditions that relate back to the burst disc (as this would be deemed a pre-existing condition).

Belindaasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hello. If i go to the vet whilst waiting say how does that work?
And say if hypothetically he has a pre condirion

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Belinda, I am not sure I understand your first question. However, if your pet has a pre-existing condition, then we won't be able to cover it when you take out a policy. Note: if there are no signs of that condition whilst being insured with us for a period of 18 months, then you can apply to get the pre-existing condition waived.

Whats the success rate?

Julie

Julieasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi there, is hip dysplasia covered by the policy?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Julie, I seemed to overlook this question - my apologies. To answer your question; Yes, hip dysplasia is covered under our Accident & Illness policy (it is not covered under the Accident Only policy).

Kelli

Kelliasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

In your pds it states that if after hours and the vet determines the visit was an emergency you will only pay the cost of a normal day vet clinic. How is this calculated?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Kelli, if the Pet needs to go to an emergency Vet due to the circumstances being an emergency, we will generally cover the cost of the emergency visit. The Product Disclosure Statement says that we may not cover treatment unless the Vet believes an emergency consultation was necessary, in which case our liability is limited to the amount that would have been payable had the Treatment been provided at a Vet practice during normal consultation hours.

Cass

Cassasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

How soon can I make a claim?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Cass, as soon as you have all the requested information. However, please note that there is a 30 day waiting period on illness conditions.
Please visit https://bowwowinsurance.com.au/pet-insurance/make-a-claim/ for details on claiming.

Teresa

Teresaasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

If you pay for a years premium in advance what happens if the dog dies in the mean time how much refund will i get?
Teresa Leigh

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Teresa, you will receive a refund on the balance. For example, if you are halfway through the policy period, you will receive approximately 50% of the premium back.

Get an answer from our members and Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance representatives