Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance

Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance Questions & Answers

Credit / Debit Card Insurances, Comprehensive, Essentials, etc...

35 questions from our users

Viktor Supranowicz

Viktor Supranowiczasked

Travel Insurance

To activate our overseas travel insurance on our Platinum Credit Card do we have to pay for the trip with this card please?

Kate R

Kate Rasked

Travel Insurance

We paid a deposit of $8000 (50% of cost of tour). This was for a 20-day tour of Russia and the Scandinavian countries commencing on 22 July 2020.
We have a Diamond Awards credit card which we use for all our travel insurance.
Because of the Coronavirus we will not be undertaking this trip this year.
Please advise if we are entitled to claim refund of deposit.

terrym

terrymasked

are flights covered

never again0101

never again0101asked

Travel Insurance

How do you get hold anyone to complain to ???I have tried but to no avail .

PandL

PandLasked

Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances (Platinum & Diamond Cards)

Are we covered if the first leg of our trip is not a flight.? Example: We live in Canberra - If we are booked to cruise overseas out of Sydney and we drive to Sydney to meet the cruise ship is our insurance for the cruise period covered? Friends have told us other policies with other banks state that to be covered the first leg of your trip has to be a flight.

Ann T.

Ann T.asked

Travel Insurance

If I have to cancel due to illness, will my spouse be covered also.

Orestes

Hi. Yes likely. if you booked together and activated before you find the illness.
However you will have to pass tricky time pre-existing medical condition traps.

Kerri-Ann B.

Kerri-Ann B.asked

Travel Insurance - Comprehensive Plan (Single Trip)

i need to cancel a trip due to changes within our business (can no longer go away as it would be detrimental to our business) am i covered for this type of cancellation?

envision

envisionasked

Travel Insurance

I currently have travel insurance taken out last year. I am travelling in June. What happens if the country I plan to visit ends up being identified as somewhere with Corona virus. I am unable to find anywhere in the PDS that indicates we are not covered for epidemic or pandemics. Please advise if this is correct.

Pinkelli
Pinkelli

You need to contact the bank to confirm the details of your policy. The insurance policy attached to the credit card will not cover you even if it was activated prior to the coved-19 being declared an emergency. I’m not sure about other products offered by CBA.

Never trust a bank

As above,if it’s credit card insurance you are not covered.Especialy if it’s a Combank credit card.

Sue Cullen

Sue Cullenasked

Travel Insurance

As the Australian government has advised against travel to Italy, I am concerned about landing in Milan where there is an outbreak of coronavirus. I am over 75Yrs. and don't want to risk contacting the disease and want to cancel my trip..am I insured for cancellation.Policy #719100884324.

Never trust a bank

I hope it’s not credit card insurance,then you’re in trouble.Anything to do with Coronavirus is not covered.

Happy Traveller

Happy Travellerasked

Travel Insurance

South African Airline have changed my flight so now we are booked to fly 9 hours earlier than we initially booked. This means we will have to stay a night in Johannesburg to connect with our booked flight to Cape Town. Can we claim through our Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance for accommodation in Johannesburg as the airline says they are not responsible and to claim through our insurance.

Karen

Karenasked

Travel Insurance

We are travelling to Paris in July and then embarking on a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest and then a few days in Prague. I paid and activated my commonwealth travel insurance Sept 2019. Are we covered for full refund if trip is cancelled due to coronavirus?

Orestes

Not really sure. Corona Virus is not a Riot or Earthquake situation and there are certain conditions in PDS.
Good luck with the travel.

Dan
Dan

From what I found on the insurers website and in the PDS is you are not covered for ANY world events. If you took out normal insurance with Covermore you would be. I myself thought it only applied to terrorism. I may be wrong, I hope so as we are in the same boat as you (pardon the pun)

Never trust a bank

No anything to do with Coronavirus is not covered,I’m going on the same river cruise in April

John

Johnasked

Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances (Platinum & Diamond Cards)

Is it correct that under the CBA Credit Card Insurance with CoverMore, if you booked travel before the advent of Coronavirus (Covid 19), you are NOT covered under the policy issued, should you contract the Virus?

Eric
Eric

I dont think any insurance covers corona since late January or earlier

Never trust a bank

Combank travel insurance is useless,it doesn’t matter when you started it your not covered.Next time try another bank or go directly to an insurance company.

John

Johnasked

Orestes

Under the CBA CC insurance, it doesn't matter when you booked, the key date is the date you activated the insurance. So even you booked travel before the advent of Covid19, but activated after the advent, then Covermore treats you like "you knew Covid19 is out there when you book the travel", so you may not covered. It is a non-sense policy. If you are lucky to escape the first trap, there is another trap from Covermore waiting for you.
Good luck.

marz
marz

That is not how I read the general exclusions...and I quote..

claims caused by, or claims arising from, an epidemic,
pandemic or outbreak of a contagious disease or any
derivative or mutation of such viruses, or the threat or
perceived threat of any of these

no coverage no matter when you took out insurance...

Never trust a bank

Rang them myself and they told me anything to do with Coronavirus,is not covered.So buyer beware.Combank and bankwest credit card insurance is useless.

Ken

Kenasked

Travel Insurance

If I hire a car in another city in Australia and pay with CBA Visa am I covered for accidental damage?

Orestes

No. They offer International travel insurance, not domestic.

Anja Krauss

Anja Kraussasked

Travel Insurance - Credit / Debit Card Insurances

Hi ,
I am a platinum Visa card holder and would like to know if I hire a car in Adelaide
Am I covered for the damage excess if required on the car ? This is for the complimentary insurance for my travel from Canberra to Adelaide return by air and car hire in Adelaide. Thanks Anja

Hi Anja,
No, you are not covered. CBA offers International travel insurance, not domestic. Even you plan to travel oversea with CBA free travel insurance, I suggest to read the PDS very carefully. Free insurance doesn't mean they will pay you your expenses free. If you are not a lawyer, I would recommend to get a proper travel insurance with good reviews.

Colleenasked

Travel Insurance

am i still eligible for the mastercard diamond overseas travel insurance if i have only paid half the cost of our holiday on the mastercard and the other half by direct deposit

Unhappy66

yes. You need to register your trip online or via the commbank app. You no longer have to purchase the ticket with your card . Hope that helps

thanks

Nipa P.

Nipa P.asked

Travel Insurance

Does gold commonwealth insurance covers cancellations of visa or if i have to change the destinations because the the visa refusal ?

Unfortunately not.

Robert Mitchellasked

Travel Insurance

Do I have to pay for my air flights via credit card or can I pay via direct debt to qualify for free CBA travel insurance
thankyou

Unhappy66

Not at all. You must just register it on the commbank website.

Robert Mitchell

The CBA must have changed their policies. Last it was necessary to pay on a credit card.

Unhappy66

Yes its been a few years

Peter M C

Peter M Casked

Travel Insurance

If a medical event occur between the 2 dates - date of activation of policy and the actual date of travel - and if that event require a cancellation (assuming one that can be approved without it being a pre-existing condition) , would the CBA travel insurance policy cover that?

Unhappy66

Absolutely. The key thing to note is that the deemed condition was not pre existing.

Christineasked

Travel Insurance

Is it ok for me to activate Commonwealth bank credit card travel insurance after my departure? (Because I am not sure what activities I should add on before my trip)

Unhappy66

Unfortunately not. Its only pre departure. But did you know even if you didnt purchase the ticket with your cc you are still covered? Best to call them if you have further questions as Id hate to misinform you.

Christine

Thank you for your reply. I knew that I do not need to pay for tickets by credit card. The reason is that if I add on snow sport when activating now I have to pay extra $170 while I am currently not sure I will have that activity in my trip or not. (Just in case of changing our mind). Anyway I will activate and add on snow sport before my trip for peace in mind. Thanks.