Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance

Commonwealth Bank Travel Insurance Questions & Answers

Comprehensive, Credit / Debit Card Insurances, Domestic, Essentials and Medical Only

14 questions from our users

chrisvindona7

chrisvindona7asked

Travel Insurance

I have booked tickets to Thailand with my friends using my Gold credit card which has free travel insurance. I paid for the tickets for all four of us. Can all of us avail of the insurance or is it just me? Do I need to activate the insurance. If yes, how do i do that?

Stanford T.
Stanford T.

You probably should ask them, but most likely only you will be covered if you activate it on NetBank/combank. Also check what is covered, most likely minimal cover

Jane G

Jane Gasked

Travel Insurance

I'm a diamond card holder. Does this insurance cover for cancellation of travel plans before departure - due to illness etc?
Catherine

ORI

ORIasked

Travel Insurance

I will be renting 3 car rentals on my one trip, what am I covered for ?

MJ K

Read their PDS very carefully. Their PDS is very inferior if it's credit card complementary insurance. It's different to their paid insurance.

Consumer 123
Consumer 123

I seem to remember that I would have had to pay extra if I wanted car rental excess protection. I agree with the previous poster: read their PDS very carefully – and I would also look at insurance options other than this one.

Curigee

Curigeeasked

Travel Insurance

Do I have to pay for my travel with my CBA mastercard to be covered by the insurance or am I automatically covered for having a CBA mastercard?

Owen H

Owen Hasked

Travel Insurance

Does using my Credit Card to do travel within Australia mean I can claim for things, or is it only International Travel that is covered. Owen

MJ K

All CBA group (CBA, Bankwest) credit card travel insurance is very inferior. Regardless of international or domestic, they don't cover any small electronic device (mobile phone, tablet, laptop). Avoid their credit card.

JRod

JRodasked

Travel Insurance

Do we have to use our credit card to pay for the holiday to be able to use the travel insurance.

Carly
Carly

No you have to. I phoned up a while ago to ask them this and they said you used a while ago but not anymore

Jo b

Jo basked

Travel Insurance

Can I obtain domestic travel insurance using a platinum cba credit card and will it include rental car and how do I apply and is it included with the card .

Greg J R

Greg J Rasked

Travel Insurance

I have travel insurance with CBA/Covermore because I have a Platinum Visa Card. Would I be covered if I broke my leg, had to be hospitalised in Italy and then had to be evacuated by air back to Australia. Cheers Greg.

Travelers are warned (not well enough by the banks though) that complimentary CC travel insurance typically only covers items paid for by your CC and consequential to those particular losses. You should still avail yourself of travel insurance for items/losses paid for some other way - cash, EFT, online etc.. Apart from this it appears the CBA has washed its hands of CC TI by outsourcing it to corporate psychopaths. I have a particular use for CC TI in that it saves me 25 euros a day off car rental excess waiver and the automatic 1500 euro bill for a mere car park door dent. Beyond that you'd absolutely be in a lottery to see if they're going to pay 10's of '000's of euros for some loss you incurred that didn't even involve your credit card. They're not in it to go bust. You don't get what you don't pay for. Do your sums and figure it out for yourself. Understand the costs/risks/benefits, or get burnt.

bev

bevasked

Travel Insurance

When going on a cruise calling into different countries, such as Alaska, Russia, Japan and ending up in Canada, do you have to list each point of call in your application?

Fer

Ferasked

Travel Insurance

Does it cover mopeds/motorbikes?
Do I need to purchase flights and accommodation to activate?

Jeff

If I were you I would contact the insurer underwriter direct as some providers exclude hire bikes due to the risk.

Jeff

Secondly you do not need purchase travel on the card to qualify, just register via the cba net banking or app

ucanto29

ucanto29asked

Travel Insurance

How much do you have to spend $$ on a gold MasterCard per year to get free travel insurance?

Jeff

You I not need to pay for the travel with the card to qualify. Just register online with the bank you are traveling and it will take you to the link to register for the travel insurance

HELEN barber

HELEN barberasked

Travel Insurance

Do I need to pay with my credit card to activate?

Deb
Deb

You have to go into NetBank and activate it on there (there’s a section that says something like “tell us your travel plans” where you put in the dates and where you’ll be going. You do have to buy something for your holiday eg flights or accommodation for it to actually activate I believe.

John

Johnasked

Travel Insurance

I am travelling to Nepal for a trekking holiday in Nov 2018 and I have activated the Commonwealth Credit Card Travel Insurance (provided by Alliance) to cover this trip. I wish to confirm that the cover includes any emergency evacuation from the trek trail due to medical reasons for those named on the policy (which is only myself). For example, if I am badly injured due to an accident on the trek and need emergency evacuation (maybe by helicopter or the like) back to a hospital in Pokhara or Kathmandu for specialist medical treatment. This appears to be covered in the policy wording (see below) but I wish to confirm as I note some of the negative reviews on this site.

d] your medical transfer or evacuation if you must be transported to the nearest hospital for emergency medical treatment overseas or be brought back to Australia with appropriate medical supervision.

DANIYELA

DANIYELAasked

Travel Insurance

i have a platinum credit card does this card cover me for a Meditteranian Cruise on a ship for 26 nights? Kit does not specify in your pdf it only says that it covers you for a cruise around Australian waters and New Zealand! Nothing aid mentioned about a european cruise in europe?? please confirm thanks!

marz
marz

need to check with CBA although they will redirect you to the insurance co. Be very careful never assume it is covered if not specified for worldwide etc.Sorry I cant answer.

jetsetter
jetsetter

As this travel insurance is underwritten by allianz i would not touch it. Get your insurance through a reputable company. If you read the reviews on allianz's website you will see a lot of 4 & 5 star reviews just for being able to buy the insurance easily online. Ignore those and read the reviews by people who have actually made claims and you will see what i mean

MissT
MissT

So I've just been reviewing the product disclosure statement for CBA (and they change depending on the card you have so check yours carefully) but they do address this.
A cruise in domestic waters is covered, but international you would need to get additional coverage (they call it an Upgrade). If you get the disclosure statement and then search for cruise, I think they call it a cruise pack. This is quite standard across all insurers though.

Get an answer from our members and Commonwealth Bank representatives