Jeep Grand Cherokee WG/WJ
Part of Jeep Grand Cherokee  3.6 (337)

Jeep Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004) Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Jeep? Claim your listing.
Peter C.
Peter C. · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

2003 wj grand cherokee. starts after a couple of turns with key

Joe
Joe · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Hie is it possible to my convert my jeep 4.7 petrol engine with a 2.7 or 3.1 Diesel engine?

Hunting Quad
Hunting Quad

Don't do it, the 4lt and V8 are by far the better and more reliable motors

bill morris
bill morris · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

what will my v6 petrol model tow

Newt
Newt · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

I need to buy a recon engine for my v8 ,2003 WG jeep.Auto..1 is available in QLD.Does anyone know if it would suit my Overland jeep?Supplier said "should fit".Any advice would be appreciated.

All v8 are the same

RB
RB

Lee H.
Lee H.

I know this post is old but for those who don't know !!Looks like someone led you astray ..The overlands have a HIGH OUTPUT 4.7 Motor in them . The others have a power tech motor ..lower HP and are different ,, Also different hookups depending on years .You can make them work but the sensors are different. the fuel injectors are different ,different pistons,different cam shafts . different heads ..

Thank you so much for your reply.I ended up getting a re built motor with a 4.7

Graham M
Graham M

In reply to Legend, all the V8s are not the same. He has an overland. All overlands use the high output engine. It may well fit and run, but you would have to go back to a standard PCM to have it run properly.

lakeyre
lakeyre · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Alternator is overcharging on 2000 WG Jeep. I tried to fit external regulator but without success. Alternator is Bosch. Any advice on how to fix the problem would be appreciated.
Rob

Legend

Sorry mate, cant help you with that. Best of luck.

Bill S
Bill S · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

I have just bought a Grand Cherokee 2004 V8 it has an issue fuel wise can any one help and the exhaust lights light up

Mark C
Mark C · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Hi,

Today my 2004 overland sounds as though the motor has gone, its only done 180,000 and its the 4.7lt petrol. I have maintained it since having it from 2006 so I'm a little disappointed given its been pretty reliable mechanically wise this whole time. About the same time last year I had the timing chain replaced at a cost of $2500.

Any ideas what a reconditioned engine would cost ? Or where best to go, I'm in Victoria.

Cheers, Mark.

L.M.
L.M.

Hi mark, I would be getting a second opinion on the engine before binning it. They are not the best on fuel or the most powerful but if you look after them, as it seems you have they are RELIABLE. It could be lifters or a long list of small fixes that might sound terminal. A replacement short engine could run you $2500 for 2nd hand up to $5500 rebuilt. Then the cost of mechanics to do anything major on a jeep is often twice that of Toyota or Nissan. So my advice is check right into it, you might end up with some good news.

josh
josh · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

l have a grand Cherokee 2001 4 litre loredo the problem im having is when accelerating it will miss fire randomly could someone please give me an idea?

caravanJimbo
caravanJimbo

I have only had diesel models, but, a friend of mine has the 4 litre and tells me that having spent nearly all his wifes fortune in garage bills, he finally replaced the coil pack as there was nothing left to replace and that fixed the persistent miss fire

caskell
caskell · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

2.7 diesel does it have a fuel mixture screw on fuel pump?

Bob
Bob · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

My 2001 2.7crd has an intermitent fault, I can start the engine -no problem- put it into drive and it wont move. Had it towed home and the following morning its fine. this has happened now twice. Is it a problem with the TCM?

brett
brett

sounds like the module this happens to mine

bob
bob

There is a safety cut out which prevents the vehicle from moving/being driven if the coolant level in the resivour is bellow a certain level.

Steve
Steve · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Will a 2 inch left effect the front drive shaft cv or cause diff rotation ?

does a diesel need a tow pack to tow a 3000kg caravan

Johan
Johan

I would suggest you talk to a Jeep dealer or the caravan manufacturer.

Jacob
Jacob

I am not sure what you mean by a tow pack. I have a standard jeep tow bar fitted and use the " easylift hitch and level rides" for towing a 3000kg caravan.

Bob P

I am not sure what you mean by a "tow pack". I have a standard Jeep 3500kg capacity tow bar fitted to my 3L diesel and I use a Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch to pull my 2700kg ATM caravan. I think the issue of diesel or petrol should not be a consideration when you are thinking about fitting a tow pack.

Kabyu

ok,so what i mean is do i have to upgrade the transmission and gearbox cooling system,on the later model Jeeps they refer to it as a 'Tow pack'

David
David

Different models vary.

The 3.0 litre diesel can tow 3.5 tonnes, with 350kg towball weight, and tows our 3tonne van with consummate ease.

Highly recommended!

Bunbury
Bunbury

I have the diesel and no tow pack required. The new vehicles are set up to be able to tow without modifications.Tow packs are a thing of the past when vehicle were not really built for towing so needed extra cooling for your automatic transmission or a bigger radiator. I have been towing a 3t van (very loaded sometimes) for a while and have no issues

Kabyu

Thanks for all the info helped me heaps especially David as i am now looking at a WH 3.0 ltr

Kabyu · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Does anyone know the ball weight of a Grand Cherokee diesel?

Bob P

I suggest that you Google "tow ball weight" and research the various articles available on this matter. For example, the following link provides some information:

The weight that your tow ball can legally accommodate is governed by the tow vehicle specification and the capacity of the tow ball.

Kabyu

ok thanks for that info .

PajPlat09
PajPlat09

Hi,

The Jeep Grand Cherokee has a maximum ball weight of 350kg. Remember this will have to be included in your payload.

Cheers

Kabyu · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

is Quadra-drive standard in diesels sold in Australia?

Alexski

My understanding is Yes for WJs and WGs. When you ticked the diesel option it came with Quadradrive. This is no longer the case with current model.

Thankyou

Gray
Gray · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Anyone had problems with the WG series towbar mounts?

Richard
Richard

Only WG/WJ I ever saw with tow bar mount issues were caused by a combination of incorrectly tensioned tow bar bolts, and many klm's of towing a heavy caravan, with the Jeep having rear airbags fitted inside the coils pumped up to a high pressure (to take the drawbar weight of what may have been a caravan with excess forward weight bias).

The van most likely shuddered and hammered the tow bar mounts (with rear suspension travel being limited due to the 'tight' airbags), so much that the tow bar eventually came loose and hammered the mounting points on the subframe of the Jeep. This caused the tow bar mounting holes to begin elongating, eventually becoming so loose it cracked the sub frame & near tore the tow bar off the vehicle. Not a good situation and one needing some serious engineering work, but not an insurmountable job to get done & have the Jeep tow bar mounts potentially better than factory (depending on the repair work quality). I'm pretty sure that Jeep was repaired and is still touring today.

The thing to do if towing continuously heavy with a vehicle is to periodically climb underneath & check your tow bar mounting bolts, and get rid of the air bags, instead have correct weight aftermarket coil springs & good quality shocks fitted. The air bags are fine, provided they are not so inflated they effect the rear end travel of the vehicle.

sidel
sidel · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

What is difference between WG and WJ?

Pussiewrecker
Pussiewrecker

Nothing. Just a reclassification by Jeep Australia. Tomata tomato

Alexski

In the US it was only WJ from 1999-2004. In Australia WJ is 1999-2001 and WG is 2002-2004. There are cosmetic and mechanical differences between the 2 , frontend look, interior Seats and trim, revised and improved V8 (but same power). If you are buying i'd steer towards the later models, but hey they are all over 15yo now so any weaknesses or glitches will be long sorted.

lakeyre
lakeyre · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Where can I buy a keyless entry remote fob for a 2000 4 litre WJ Jeep built in Austria?

TenaciousD
TenaciousD

I bought mine from eBay UK, not sure if they're still on eBay UK or not though. But in Aust the fobs are too expensive, and in the US they use a slightly diff fob. So make sure you get it from the UK or Europe. Once you get it, a decent locksmith in your area should have the software to program it to your Jeep, or, I went to my local Jeep dealer and they charged me $70 to program (yeah, the Jeep dealership was actually helpful and reasonably priced for a change haha).

All the best.

Newby2jeep
Newby2jeep · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Swapping a 2003 grand Cherokee motor into a 2002. Both are 4.0 liter Powertec. Is there some problem with the ECM matching? Are they the same generation ECM?

black duck
black duck

yes they will work fine

Dave
Dave · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

I have a 2004 grand Cherokee vision, the engine light keeps going on and off all of a sudden, it upsets everything, the aircon works backwards won't let it change gears(auto), also derates itself, any ideas?

arjays
arjays

Sorry but I can't help you

Ask a mechanic or go onto a jeep forum for help.

Norman Spencer
Norman Spencer

Yes, there sounds like you have a dry joint on the computer board.

Unhappy customer
Unhappy customer

try to have your software updated, but if your in Melbourne go to Essendon jeep so far they have been good for me only because i was sent there by Mark from Alan Mance Motors they had a chat and all fixed bloody fantastic. no changing transmission.

cheers

saad.alhdad.77
saad.alhdad.77 · Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Does anyone know, what kind of oil it used for transmission gearbox A/T for Jeep Cherokee limited model 1999?

GreenGo
GreenGo

Do not risk Transmission oil from a car parts shops. Go to a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and buy their MOPAR ATF+4. It's the best. Cheers

dljacko
dljacko

My mechanic was a Jeep dealer employee and he did a complete oil change and service on my WJ and used ATF+4 from Repco, as were all the other oils used.

SPARKS
SPARKS

Most of the normal ATF+4 tranny oils are NOT compatible with the 01/02 Jeep V8 5/6 speed auto. Even Valvoline had one fluid saying it was Ok but when I inquired on their hot line I was told NOT to use it in the Jeep. Mopar ATF+4 has extra additives (it is made by Valvoline for Jeep) and is costly from the Stealership but worth it in the long run. If you think there is other oil in the gearbox, have a full service done with both filters changed. Then fill with new oil and then remove a cooler hose and run the engine to pump out 5 to 8L of the oil replacing with new as you go, the service only removes less than half of the old oil and you want to get as much out as you can. Look at the blogs and they will confirm this. I have 150000 with 50000 since I purchaced it and did the inital full service changed all fluids for quality corect types and the gearbox is the most sensitive expensive part so service it, (due for another one soon) Ken

Select a listing for your question
Jeep Grand Cherokee WG/WJ (1994-2004)

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Jeep? Claim your listing.
Mitsubishi Pajero