New Choice Homes Questions & Answers

Verifiednewchoicehomes.com.au

Hi everyone,

I'm a first home buyer thinking of building with NCH and noticed that there's only two 1-star reviews here (though both are terribly frightening). One of them said that their lawyers take down negative reviews. I wanted to know:

1- Is it possible for companies to remove negative reviews? (in that case this whole site would be a scam)

2- What experience have you had with this builder? Pros and cons objectively????

Thanks all for your time :)

Tuscany
Tuscany

Hi, I noticed when I posted my negative review they removed my sales rep name but if it’s a positive review then they keep the name included which is defiantly dodgy.

If you deal with them make sure you read everything and don’t get rushed. I’m currently in the process of getting charged an extra $1200 on top of my $1500 deposit even though my finance declined. I confirmed with my rep multiple times if I would get changed any more than my deposit if my finance declined and then now I have been sent another bill.

Job1

Hi, I have built with them and they were great..not problem at all..very helpful, price was competitive and the quality of the home is a lot better then some of the builders out there..

Mojy

Thanks guys. Both opinions very helpful. Anyone else here who could kindly share their opinion?

Jason

I am actually having a bit of an issue with them (after signing the contract) about a retaining wall between me and my neighbor and traffic management allowance that wasn’t originally in the contract as well....

As I’m still dealing with the issue, I can’t say whether they are good or not, it will depend on how they eventually handle it... I have been stressed for the last few weeks tho.

Jason

An update: finally we have to pay half for removing the retaining wall and traffic management. They said they couldn’t have foreseen the footing underneath the existing wall and so we have to pay extra to have it removed. Honestly I find it quite confusing because there will always be footings at the bottom of a wall, I don’t understand why they couldn’t foresee that? We were a bit disappointed with that because we specially asked on a numerous occasions about the wall before signing the contract. They also said they simply forgot to add in the traffic management in the original contract and so it has to be added back now at prestart.

Also an extra 2.7k for removing an underground sceptic system which we think is ok because they probably couldn’t have predicted that.

All these extra variations and delay in resolving the retaining wall and traffic management have caused the bank doing another valuation on the property because it has been more than 6 months since we signed the contract and we have no choice but to do some of the things like wall painting, flooring and paving privately .

The account clerk said that the pre-slab deposit of over $14k is now due and if we don’t hear from the bank about the revaluation in a couple of day they will delay the slab. We feel that it is not our fault for the delay and can’t understand why they wouldn’t ensure the slab is on schedule.

Bear in mind we have already paid extra interest while the retaining wall and traffic management were being dealt with.

Update on 9/5/18

Yesterday I had a tiling meeting with the site supervisor and was told that they now want another $2,500 to connect the telephone line from the house to the nearest Telstra pit located in front of our neighbour.

I have since reviewed the contract and saw that we have already paid them $1,100 to install the telephone line and this item has specifically been marked as a FIXED item as opposed to Provisional Sum.

When I spoke to them yesterday, they once again said that this extra cost is due to an unforeseen situation - they said that because our neighbour has the front wall built onto the boundary, they cannot run the wire underneath. They cannot run the wire under the verge either because it belongs to the council.

The only 2 ways to fix this issue is:

1) to either call Telstra to install a new pit in front of my house– which They said they couldnt do because Telstra is difficult to deal with.

2) Or they will have to go onto my neighbour’s front yard and dig on their garden bed and footpath. We will have to cover the cost of restoring the landscape and any potential damage caused.

New choice homes once again told me that this is an extra cost to me because they forgot to include it in the original contract. They said that I am not charged extra because it would have been in the contract had they not forgotten about it when they prepared the building contract (remember Telephone has been included as a fixed sum so they HAVE considered this). They insist that this is an acceptable practice to do business by not including all the costs in the contract, get you to sign it and then add them all back once you have signed the contract and when you are in the middle of building it.

I have since reviewed the building industry guideline, it is only acceptable for builder to charge you extra after signing the contract if it is deemed to be unforeseeable at the time of signing contract.

The fact that my neighbour’s front wall has ALWAYS been there suggests that this is not an unforeseeable cost. I have reasonable grounds to believe that they were aware of it at the beginning but did not inform of it just to get me to sign up a contract with them.

I have since called Telstra and the council myself to ask for assistance, which took me a couple of hours. I asked both of them whether this is something that the builder should have done and both said yes and they receive this sort queries from builders all the time. I wish They had told me this earlier as Telstra said it could take up to 4 weeks before they could install the pit, which means there will be a delay of up to 4 weeks and I have to pay unnecessary interest and rent for the period.

I will write a proper review once the build is complete.

Marc

Can anyone give me the full contact details for Ross??

New Choice Homes   DM

Hi Marc, Ross no longer works for New Choice Homes. Can I help you or have have another consultant call you?.

Marc

Thats ok thanks someone else has kindly passed on his details.

Green

I read the review by Dan titled 'What a Disgusting NIGHTMARE!!! Minus Zero' published on Apr 06, 2016. Has anyone had similar bad experience with the same builder?

Venus C
Venus C

Hi Jim

Our experience with New Choice Homes was nothing but excellent. We had no problems at all and have been totally satisfied with our house. All the staff were very helpful and professional and always kept us up to date with our build We have no hesitation in recommending them to build your house.

Dan

Oh Again NHC, What an accusation when we are in the Building Industry and my partner and I can see how disgusting and poor workmanship the work is, all just cut corners!!

you can explain Jim, how come the slab had structural cracks every everywhere in house, how come the mesh is not sitting at 3mm as per your Engineer but all are sitting at 10-20mm which a Cover Meter had proven??

Explain to Jim how come all the mortar are not at 10mm as per the BCA and they are all non-compliance??- photos doesn't lie

Exlplain to Jim How come the Brick pier that support your Roof is not filled in as per Your Engineer's Drawing and which I've sign on??- Photos doesn't lie

Explain to Jim how you end up cutting the wall as the pipe for the slab penetration is in the wrong location as my Engineer stated and myself as all the 3 pipes are in the wrong location and it is a structural issue??- photos doesn't lie

Explain to Jim how come the slab curled and doesn't sit on the slab at all and will never as the amount of sand that blew underneath the slab??- Photos doesn't lie

Explain to Jim how great you treat and value your clients who are paying thousand and thousand and you said to me incluidng a have a witness, You told me " I'm not building a 1 Million dollar house for me, you are a woman and you got no clue what you are talking, you better shut your mouth and get what your are given"??

But even the house cost $5, you will still be cashing up on that $5

Explain to Jim, how come all the light switches, GPO are most missing and not at the right locations as stated in Pre-start??

Explain to Jim how come the Timber in the roof( the Strut) are cracked and damaged??

Explain to Jim how come the Brick piers are falling off again after second time been done again?? photos doesn't lie

Explain to Jim how come there is around 500 chip bricks on the face bricks?? photos doesn't lie

At the end of the day, you are free to make your own decision!

Dan

Typing mistake: Cover meter says 10-20cm when your Engineer's says it should be sitting at 3cm

SirLeonKennedy
SirLeonKennedy

Hi Green,

We just had our first PCI today with Simon (Construction Manager) as our previous supervisor, Spencer, recently left the company.

While our build certainly hasn't been perfect and there have been times I've regretted our decision to build with New Choice I still feel we're receiving a quality home for a decent price and the service we received today has left us with a sense of confidence about moving forward.

I'll write a detailed review shortly but I would still suggest at least talking with a New Choice rep (we dealt with Brett) as there are definitely a lot more bad builders out there than good ones.

On a side note we've used an independent inspector at every stage (footings, slab, half brickwork, plate height and PCI) and other than all the usual cosmetic things he picked up today there hasn't been a single major defect at any stage of the build.

Feel free to contact me if you want any more info.

Green

Thanks SirLeonKennedy. Yes I would love to read the detail review from you. If you don't mind, send me a courtesy msg when you have written it.

Job1

Hi Green , I can understand your concern about that review but I would imagine there is more to it if you see the replies this person is making . They attack every good comment and I would go with the majority of reviews , majority are all goid.. I would defiantly recommend calling New Choice Homes and speaking to the Sales manager and discuss your concern .

Merlindorset
Merlindorset

Hi I have a 375 square meter plot of land at Osprey Water Mandrah with 12.5 m wide and rear garage, do you build in this area?

Bazza
Bazza

You need to contact New Choice homes direct! I'm sure they can help, they built my house in Dudley Park, not far from your block.

New Choice Homes   DM

Hi Merlindorset. Yes we certainly do build in Osprey Water. Please feel free to contact Ross Craig on 0404 250 694 or rcraig@newchoicehomes.com.au and he will be happy to assist.

kerobsprings
kerobsprings

Do New Choice build in Harvey?

New Choice Homes   DM

Hi, unfortunately we do not built in Harvey, Sorry we cannot help you this time.

Green

I have a block of land in Bletchey Park, Southern River 615m2. I understand the zoning is R20. What the maximum site coverage that I can built on? I heard Council would also allow 5% variation to as long as the design fulfilled the requirements. We want to build a big 5x3 home, maximise full potential of the land size including the 5% variation. Do you have display homes and/or design plans that fits out needs?

I know some builders are reluctant to ask for the variation on the basis that 'its too hard' for them.

New Choice Homes   DM

Hi Jim, Thank you for your enquiry. Can you please contact our sales consultant Brett Weinbrecht on 9201 7878 or bweinbrecht@newchoicehomes.com.au and he will be able to assist.

Young
Young

Do you have a houses are building around Warwick, Hamersley, dayton or Caversham Morley or Zone 1 areas etc suburbs....I can visit or display home because i want to looking a good quality builder to help build our dream house. i m at Perth

New Choice Homes   DM

Hi, we currently have a display home, the Queen Elizabeth at Alkimos Beach Estate, Marmion Avenue, Alkimos. We're open Saturday 1pm to 5pm and Sunday 12pm to 5pm.

Would you like for one of our sales consultants to contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss your requirements? You can call our office sales line on 9201 7878

juan.joan.bancoro.7
juan.joan.bancoro.7

Do you build a house behind the existing residential building? Thanks a lot. My block is 587sq.m in R15/25 Zone.

New Choice Homes   DM

Hi, Thank you for your enquiry. Yes we do build house behind a house, Please email Shaun Lawrence at slawrence@ncdevelopments.com.au and he will be able to assist you.

shiv
shiv

After reading all these reviews I understand that the one year starting delay is due to management changes. we bought a land in The Glades, Byford. looking to start our building in another 3 months. my question is , how long will be the construction period approximately ?

New Choice Homes   DM

Hello Shiv, Thanks for your query. At the moment our construction timeframes are 26 weeks from slab down to PCI (Practical Completion). I hope that helps.

Steve G
Steve G

Ours was about 11 months as it was 2 storeys so had to wait for the top slab to cure, plus we had a slight rain delay, it went fast after lock up though.

Shane
Shane

Hi

Do you build custom designed houses, and will I have the copyright to my design plans ?

New Choice Homes   DM

Hi Shane, Yes we do build custom designs. The copyright will always belong to the builder unless it already has been designed by a outsourced designer/architects. Please let me know if we can assist with the build of your new home.

Get an answer from our members and New Choice Homes representatives