Nissan X-Trail T31
Part of Nissan X-Trail 3.9

Nissan X-Trail T31 (2008-2013) Questions & Answers

Ken B. · T31 (2008-2013)

2008 xtrail 2lt, diesel, keyless entry and start.
No previous problem, it will not start, engine turns over but does not fire up, my thoughts the car and keys have lost communication, what can I do to rectify this, if this is not the problem what else do I look for, nissn dealership has no idea so far.

ben dover

have you tried changing the batteries in the remote. if that is not the problem the keys have lost communication you need to take the to Nissan & get the key reprogrammed. or replaced

Ken B.

Thank Ben, nissan main dealer telling me its the timing chain, I already suggested key lost connection they saying don't think so

Bobby.R
Bobby.R · T31 (2008-2013)

My 2008 T31 Nissan XTrail has a CVT transmission that emits a whirring/whining high pitched sound whenever I take my foot of the accelerator. I have changed the CVT fluid and ensured that it was refilled at the correct level but the sound is still there. Can anyone help with this problem?

Niel T.
Niel T.

2002 x trail over heating

Phil B.
Phil B. · T31 (2008-2013)

Please can you tell me if the t31 has a choke ?

John G.
John G.

Michelle M.
Michelle M. · T31 (2008-2013)

Hi All, I have a 2009 Nissan X Trail 2.0diesel T31 with a knocking sound that got louder and quicker when i acclerated. No smoke at the exhaust and starts first time every time. It had a P0488 error code. Changed the EGR valve and still a knocking sound. Changed the belt and also put in fuel cleaner and oil cleaner. However still knocking sound. Do i need to drive the car for so many miles. No error code at the minute. Thoughts experts please....
Michelle:(

honeyjabba
honeyjabba · T31 (2008-2013)

The lights on my steering wheel are not working is there a fuse for these? The controls on the steering wheel are working ok.

see a dealer

very helpful

Bonile M.
Bonile M. · T31 (2008-2013)

Hi guys I have a problem with my Nissan xtrail 2012 is not showing mileages when I switch on and horn not working

see a dealer

John P
John P · T31 (2008-2013)

Have been trying to remove the "blank" next to the Hill Decent Control to check size required before purchasing a switch I need to install there.
Forums say to hit the blank with screwdriver handle and drive down and out. The one fitted is a tight fit and not sure I will get it out without damage to the blank. Tried a little Silicone spray to ease it but no joy. Any alternative methods would be appreciated. Cheers

Najib E.
Najib E. · T31 (2008-2013)

I have an x trial that go off few second after i turned on

Robert S.
Robert S. · T31 (2008-2013)

Losing power in reverse gear on steep hills

John Z.
John Z. · T31 (2008-2013)

I have a 2010 xtrail there is no lights lighting up on auto I took the top off here’s no harness with a globe is there another problem or dosnt it come with a globe

Allan
Allan · T31 (2008-2013)

Was there a problem with the air bag fault light flashing and remaining on , ie indicating stering wheel air bag fault ?? 2010 Nissan Xtrail ST 4x4 T31 MY10

Warwick F.
Warwick F. · T31 (2008-2013)

I have a 2008 Nissan X-trail T31. It has CVT transmission with the 'Manual' change option. Lately, when shifting to manual mode it does not change, but continues in the CVT mode (Auto). The dash does not indicate it's in the manual mode either. Any Ideas?

Thomas B.
Thomas B. · T31 (2008-2013)

Hi , i have a 2008 T31 auto and in low gear and low speed I get a shudder not sure if it’s in engine or maybe transmission.? Or could it be something that needs a clean out .? Cheers for any advice

Ryan
Ryan

It’s usually the engine mount on my Xtrails I’ve had.

Anthony W.

Engine mounts sounds right to me, I've had the same trouble years ago on a Mitsubishi Magna.

Nabil S.
Nabil S. · T31 (2008-2013)

I have 2013 Nissan xtrial with cvt transmission can I replace this transmission with 2010 second hand transmission?

Lyle D.
Lyle D. · T31 (2008-2013)

I have a 2009 diesel Xtrail purchased secondhand a year ago with 169000kms (advertised as 2011 but thats a whole other issue lol). about 8 months ago the car's turbo started to scream horrifically i assume the bearing went in the turbo. i have bought a reconditioned one but none of my mates can install it as there are 2 mangy stud bolts that cannot be got to to finalise the install. apparently its an engine out job which will cost around 3.5k!!!!! anyone have any suggestions i cannot afford anything like this. Engine fail light and dpf light on. car stills drives mostly normal just has terrible screaming under full boost. plz help! <3

ben dover

sounds like a build up of carbon in the turbo,they scream when the bearings are loaded with carbon It is not a faulty bearing as some people assume the turbos need to be cleaned out every 10,000kms Get it serviced

wingnut

Engine fail on. dpf light on how long ago was the turbo cleaned? they need the carbon cleaned out of them. every 10-15000 kms 90% of times if the bearing screams, the engine fail light on the problem is build up of carbon the bearing is not getting lubrication

Peter C
Peter C · T31 (2008-2013)

My 2021 X-Trail developed shuddering in the engine and significant power loss as well as markedly increased fuel consumption around 180 K km. All injectors replaced on advice of mechanics, but still has a slight engine shudder and associated increased fuel consumption. Any ideas as to cause and treatment?

Anthony W.

Could still be electrical, but a compression rest might be worthwhile though the mileage is not great.

ben dover

cam angle sensor either faulty or dirty common problem with the Xtrails, either clean the sensor or replace it

pete smith
pete smith

yeah check/ clean /adust repalce cam angle semsor & throttle sensor

wingnut

typical xtrail cam angle sensor

Mike B
Mike B · T31 (2008-2013)

I have a 2012 X-Trail ST (4X4) T31. The radio stopped working. The light is on the radio but no sound

Anthony W.

This won't be much help, but obviously there is power to the device, so I'd look at the antenna connection inside the unit and between it and the antenna. Itself. Not easy to do though I'd imagine.

armouroflight77
armouroflight77 · T31 (2008-2013)

Hi all, I have a 2013 T31 XTrail. For the life of me, I cannot find the owners manual and I recently had the battery changed, which means I need to enter a code for the radio. Is there some way I can find this out? If I have the radio serial number would Nissan be able to help? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

wingnut

The same question has been asked here before scroll down & you will find the answer to your question

Ben W.
Ben W. · T31 (2008-2013)

I have a Japanese import 2010 x-trail 2.0ltr turbo diesel manual, the car has never missed a beat until time to sell it. I have serviced it regularly and never given any problems. However after showing the car to some people and letting them test drive it, turns out they removed and discarded the air filter for some reason, now it has trouble starting and when it does start has no power until 2000 rpm. Very sluggish from what it was before being meddled with. No lights on the dash to indicate a problem. Any ideas on what's causing the low performance?

sikkimani
sikkimani · T31 (2008-2013)

After complete engine rebuild, my Xtrail t31, was fine for about 110 km, after which there was power loss.No over heating, engine does not rev up and, 4w , esp, abs & dpf lights were on. The car could not climb uphill climb,and had to be towed .What must be the problem?I am devastated.Pl.help.Thanks

jack stevens
jack stevens

Who rebuilt the engine? obviously someone who did not know what they were doing. Take it back to who ever did the engine & get a refund

Get an answer from our members and Nissan representatives

Select a listing for your question
Nissan X-Trail T31 (2008-2013)