Pentanet Questions & Answers

Verifiedpentanet.com.au
Van Joe
Van Joe · Pentanet

Hey guys,

I'm currently with TPG but currently looking for a new ISP as I'm experiencing frequent dropouts. Our house has a FTTN connection that can only reach up to 40+mbps, TPG already emailed me to say they are unable to provide the 50mbps speed that I'm currently paying for. Would switching to Pentanet be better?

We use 10+ devices for gaming, 4k streaming, surfing the web and the like.

Karl Jacob
Karl Jacob

If your on FTTN you can get a Free upgrade to Fibre to the Premises you just need to contact your provider and get on the 100/20mbps plan or above as you need to be on a higher speed tier and that will trigger the upgrade process, you need to be on that plan for 12months straight after the FTTP Upgrade is installed for it to be Free cause otherwise if you change at anytime after the upgrade the NBN will charge you a $200 fee. You will also need to go to nbnco.com.au and type in your address into the FTTN Upgrade site to see if your address and area is eligible for it!!!

slats
slats

Simple answer.....don't sign up with Pentanet for anything. Worst experience I've ever had!

Alex G.
Alex G. · Pentanet

I've recently moved to an area which is connected by Opticom, Pentanet is a provider for my area, my question is will your service reduce my ping? I am a gamer and can't seem to get any lower than 55ms.
I have a lan cable connected to my computer and the house is FTTP.

Pentanet   DM

Hey Alex! We're gamers ourselves and so maintaining a great connection is paramount for us. We're always looking at ways to optimise our traffic. Ping is highly dependant on the location of the server that you are connecting to, so we can't ensure improvement but we certainly can ensure that we'd do everything in our power to give you a great gaming experience. Our local team would be happy to chat to you about this more, feel free to get in touch.

WA anime g.
WA anime g. · Pentanet

Hi im a gamer and streamer so I was Just wondering how good is your wireless internet and what I the best seed you have

Ian
Ian

terrible as the ping is103 download 2,44 and upload is 1.76 at the moment and they always blame your set up not theirs, they tried to blame my router saying it was sending a signal to disconnect . Speed is all over the place
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
21.19
UPLOAD Mbps
4.44

Kevin M.
Kevin M. · Pentanet

Hey guys,
I'm currently with belong and have been for the past 4 years with no issues, (NBN Ftth 50+Mbps). However I've recently moved to Armadale where its now Fttn less than 10 Mbps. Even belong emailed me to say they are unable to provide the speeds I'm paying for!
Can pentanet do better?
Should also add we're all big gamers (usually 3 sometimes 4 xboxes online at once)

Cheers Kevin

Pentanet   DM

We'd love to see if we can help - could you please send your address through to hello@pentanet.com.au and we'll see which services you're eligible for!

Destiny W.
Destiny W.

I regulary get 60/20 which is what I'm paying for on pentanet fixed wireless

Jordan hulston
Jordan hulston · Fixed Wireless

Hey pentanet, I live in atwell Perth Western Australia what ping will I get I average 60 ping? Would I get better ping?

Pentanet   DM

We'd love to see which services you're eligible for so we can better answer that question! Could you please reach out on hello@pentanet.com.au or call 9466 2670 so we can find out more about your situation? Cheers!

mickeydoherty7
mickeydoherty7 · Pentanet

Hi there, so im massive into gaming.. if i do switch over can i put the router in anyroom and hardwire my ps4 into that?

Amy
Amy

they can install a wan socket into your wall and you can enjoy fast speeds on their fixed wireless but its terrible and i won't recommend it im on fibre to the home and i don't have one issue ABB is way better than pentanet

Pentanet   DM

Hey Mickey - that will depend on which service you're eligible for. With our fixed wireless service, we will install a dish on roof where there is line of sight to a tower, and then install a new data point in your home. Generally, that will be directly below the dish, but if you'd like it somewhere else, you can discuss with our technician on the day!

Pentanet   DM

@Amy - your profile say you're in Victoria, we don't provide services outside of Western Australia so not sure how you managed to experience our Fixed Wireless!

mickeydoherty7
mickeydoherty7 · Pentanet

If im currently getting 60 ping while gaming on NBN would pentanet be able to drop the ping?

Gurwinder S.
Gurwinder S.

Definitely yes

aidanr
aidanr

Its not going to drop your ping that much due to physical limitation but it will definitely be a jitter free and reliable option from my experience

Flyingo S.
Flyingo S. · Pentanet

I live in Doubleview, what sort of speeds can you guarantee there? our current one is useless.

Pentanet   DM

Hi Flyingo, Doubleview has great coverage for our fixed wireless service. If you're able to get line of sight to a tower, you can be enjoying 120Mbps download speeds all day and night :)

Stephen J.
Stephen J. · Fixed Wireless

What is fixed wireless like in windy and stormy weather... for a hardened gamer.. and which product would be best for that gamer

Pentanet   DM

Hey Stephen, sorry for the late reply, just call it 'reply lag'! Normal weather conditions won't affect your fixed wireless service - in the past, rain, fog and other weather conditions have been known to affect fixed wireless but as the technology has advanced, that's no longer the case. Like any service, a power outage can disrupt the connection, but your dish signal shouldn't be affected unless there's severe/extreme conditions.

Gloria
Gloria · Fixed Wireless

I live in The Vines and Telstra say we are in a dead spot that is why we don't have good service. What is you internet service like in dead spotted areas?

Pentanet   DM

Hi Gloria, we run on a private network for our Fixed Wireless and have awesome coverage in The Vines and surrounding areas! The Pentanet network is independent of NBN and other providers, so there's a good chance we can provide you with coverage even when they can't. Please get in touch on 9466 2670 or hello@pentanet.com.au and we can chat more!

Peter F.
Peter F. · Fixed Wireless

Hey, im really thinking about going with Pentanet Fixed Wireless and was wondering if its gamer/streamer friendly with consistent speeds and ping. On average I have 6 connected devices. 1 person on xbox streaming and myself on a PC streaming with others playing on console/phones.

Pentanet   DM

Hey Peter! Pentanet Fixed Wireless is a private network designed, built and run by gamers. High speed and low latency is what we live for :) If you'd like to find out more about specific in-game latency, our onboarding team can answer any specific questions you have on 9466 2670. Cheers!

Richard A. · Pentanet

Firstly, I am having trouble in wording this question, but I read above your statement that Pentanet was started by gamers, I hope you get what I'm trying to ask. In Xbox gaming, can I change my NAT type to open from strict, or will your network cause a double NAT like my current provider?

Pentanet   DM

Hi Richard. We sure do, gamers unite! Our network is designed so that players should have an 'open NAT' type when playing online on Xbox One. If you do run in to any issues with NAT type, reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to help.

thanks for replying

Chris W.
Chris W. · Pentanet

HI can you tell me what your contention ratio is, will this be increased should the demand for your service increase? Also, do you connect directly into the NBN internet backbone or via a third party? What was your capacity pre Covid19 on the backbone and was it increased by NBN during Covid19? A lot of questions but I dont want to sign up for a fast service only to have it slow down by over subscription and throttling by a third party provide which you have no control over. This would be for the fixed wireless service.

Pentanet   DM

Hi Chris! The answer depends on which service you're looking at, so let's break it down to fixed wireless and NBMN. We operate Perth’s largest (and fastest growing!) fixed-wireless network from Mindarie to Rockingham and east to Roleystone. At each tower, we employ carrier-grade MPLS switches and the majority of towers are fed by almost 300km of dark fibre, forming a series of fibre rings circling Perth and connecting our customers to five datacenters. The rings will be/are self-healing, and easily able to meet our growth and backhaul needs.

NBN-wise, we have direct connectivity to most WA POIs, and we plan to publish CVC utilisation graphs per POI on our website. Transparency and accountability play a big part in our business values.

COVID-19 has increased usage by around 30 per cent, but we’re seeing a lot more usage across the whole day as opposed as the traditional peak hour. Our network is built around peak capacity and we’re seeing some of that excess capacity getting used but it's not really touching the sides so to speak!

We limit the number of people on our network, for the sole purpose of avoiding overcrowding to keep consistent, reliable speeds for all of our customers. Hope this answers your questions!

sampetschak · Pentanet

hi i have been having a couple of problems with my internet lately and im wondering if there is anyway u could tell me what ping i would get if i went with pentanet

Pentanet   DM

Hey @sampetscak! Latency (ping) depends on a few factors, but our fixed wireless generally customers enjoy low ping all day and night. Pentanet was started by gamers, so we understand the need for it! We reduce ping by peering with gaming servers so the traffic runs directly. Our network operations team are regularly tweaking traffic to ensure the fastest possible routes.

sampetschak

Thanks @pentanet, I’ll make sure to look further into it :)

phoebhello · Pentanet

Hi everyone!
Does Pentanet (either wireless or NBN) doesn't cause any connection problem no matter how many wifi gadgets is connected to the router? I am in Ellenbrook and I keep on changing internet provider but they are mostly all the same......slow connection especially on weekends and during night time of any day. Please share your honest thoughts about this. Thank you.....

Craig
Craig

I had bad connection experience with pentanet, consistently rubbish speeds on their NBN 100/40 fiber to house connection. Currently with Mate broadband, speed is always 90mbps all day round and I have easily 20 plus wifi devices online at any given point.

phoebhello

Did they offer you to change your connection to a wireless one? Coz a pentanet guy told me over the phone that the connection is direct to their private network.

Pentanet   DM

Hi @Phoebhello, our fixed wireless service is a private network using our own infrastructure. The network is never overcrowded so you enjoy consistent, reliable speeds all day and night (including weekends). Just something to note though, even if your internet service is the fastest it can be, your modem/router will play a huge part in your experience over wifi. We're happy to recommend some great devices for you based on your usage :)

phoebhello

Hi! So, you said that there is a great device you gonna offer for me in order to have a reliable connection, how much will it cost me? I am currently using a router thru my current ISP provider which is also NBN rated, can I still use them, If I decide to switch?

Pentanet   DM

You can still use your existing compatible router when you join Pentanet, no problem at all. Depending on which service you choose, there are a few features your router will need - we can let you know if it's compatible though! If you have a larger home or 'dead zones' your existing router won't reach, we love the AmpliFi mesh system. You can also checkout devices like the Google Nest wifi setup to extend the reach of your wi-fi :)

Paul T

Hi Phoebhello, I am in Ellenbrook as well and got the fixed wireless Pentanet 120/10Mbps package. I am over the moon about it and was only getting between 10-30Mbps with Telstra Velocity optic fibre connection. Now Pentanet have installed a tower on the Baskerville Scarp the whole of Ellenbrook and Eastern Suburbs get amazing speeds. Mine is a constant 120Mbps Down and 10Mbps Upload all day and night. As a gamer myself not even Mate Broadband or any of the other services like Superloop or Node 1 can provide what Pentanet does. Wifi is 120/10 as well! As long as you have a good network card in your computer you will get wired speeds on Wifi. Customer support is out of this world and local too. HIGHLY recommended for Ellenbrook!!

Andy W
Andy W · Pentanet

Do you know if we lose Foxtel by kicking Telstra into touch and signing up with Pentanet??
A bit over the slow speeds and dropouts

Pentanet   DM

Foxtel typically doesn't require internet from a specific ISP, but we recommend you speak with your Foxtel provider to be 100% sure. If it's bundled in with your internet service and you want to change providers, you'll probably need to speak with Foxtel to transfer it, or sign up again :)

Paul T

Hi Andy, I just kicked Telstra to the curb so to speak. What happened to me was If you disconnect the home phone line all services are rendered useless and everything stops that day. If you want to keep your Foxtel you must ring Telstra FIRST and they will disconnect your service first. Then basically you will have to re-sign with Foxtel as a Foxtel customer. The 2 accounts can no longer be linked. You will have to return the Foxtel equipment or face fees and charges and Telstra will tell you how to do that. When you re-sign with Foxtel they will give you an IQ-4 box and start your services again as a Foxtel customer.

PS I got rid of ALL Telstra services and didn't renew my Foxtel. It will cost you more to connect to Foxtel directly. eg. with Telstra, Foxtel is included in your bundle and because this is a bundled deal between Foxtel and Telstra, a connection to Telstra is required. I added a Sports pack and it cost me $30/Mth. If I connect to Foxtel directly, full price needs to be paid at: Existing Customers = $89/Mth or NEW customers $59/Mth. I decided to not renew it.

Grant · Pentanet

Hi Peeps,

I am currently with Aussie BB and have noticed that my world of warships (sorry the geek in me is quite strong) connection is getting quite laggy during peak times. The connection speed is great (my router reports a connection of 109 down and 40 up on a 100m plan) but upon doing a ping test it seems (not surprising) that my connection goes to Melbourne then to Singapore (this is where the lag kicks in). Is anyone on Pentanet able to to a pingplotter to login1.worldofwarships.jp (if that is not too much of a bother).

Pentanet   DM

Hey Grant! We took a look, and latency to that host from our network over a 24 hour period is 48ms average (48.4ms max) :)

Grant

Thanks team. I will continue to monitor and if the problem persists you may have a new customer. I have previously called your team in regards to wireless broadband but unfortunately the strata did not want to have a 4m pole attached to our roof. In any case I was really impressed with the effort your team went to. Great customer service!

James M.
James M.

Im in perth mate and i get 62ms latency (ping) with pentanet. Its got nothing to do with the provider, its because like 'world of warships' the game i plays server is in melbourne aswell, so you will never get 0 ping on the west coast.

Mark C. · Pentanet

Hi Pentanet, currently I'm with iinet and it is OK but I wonder what gaming ping times I'd get with fixed wireless, also is the price of organising fibre to the premises crazy, if that's an option? Thanks regards Mark

Andrew Nguyen
Andrew Nguyen

My was 7-11 ms with Pentanet. Previously with TPG around 40-50ms

Thanks mate !!!

arthu rneil  jenkins
arthu rneil jenkins · Pentanet

Is an on roof dish required

Pentanet   DM

Hello! A dish on the roof is required for our fixed wireless internet. We also offer fibre services which don't require a dish :)

AJAY
AJAY · Pentanet

Hi,
Currently living in a shared home, and have abysmal internet speed. Do you have any discreet type connections that may not require an antenna to be installed?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Pentanet   DM

Hi Andrew, we also offer NBN and private fibre connection if that's of interest. Our fixed wireless relies on a line of sight to a tower, so a small dish on the room is a must :)

Get an answer from our members and Pentanet representatives

Select a listing for your question

Extra Information