Pentanet Questions & Answers

14 questions from our users

Stephen J.

Stephen J.asked

Fixed Wireless

What is fixed wireless like in windy and stormy weather... for a hardened gamer.. and which product would be best for that gamer

Gloria

Gloriaasked

Fixed Wireless

I live in The Vines and Telstra say we are in a dead spot that is why we don't have good service. What is you internet service like in dead spotted areas?

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi Gloria, we run on a private network for our Fixed Wireless and have awesome coverage in The Vines and surrounding areas! The Pentanet network is independent of NBN and other providers, so there's a good chance we can provide you with coverage even when they can't. Please get in touch on 9466 2670 or hello@pentanet.com.au and we can chat more!

Peter F.

Peter F.asked

Fixed Wireless

Hey, im really thinking about going with Pentanet Fixed Wireless and was wondering if its gamer/streamer friendly with consistent speeds and ping. On average I have 6 connected devices. 1 person on xbox streaming and myself on a PC streaming with others playing on console/phones.

Team PentanetPentanet

Hey Peter! Pentanet Fixed Wireless is a private network designed, built and run by gamers. High speed and low latency is what we live for :) If you'd like to find out more about specific in-game latency, our onboarding team can answer any specific questions you have on 9466 2670. Cheers!

Richard A.asked

Pentanet

Firstly, I am having trouble in wording this question, but I read above your statement that Pentanet was started by gamers, I hope you get what I'm trying to ask. In Xbox gaming, can I change my NAT type to open from strict, or will your network cause a double NAT like my current provider?

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi Richard. We sure do, gamers unite! Our network is designed so that players should have an 'open NAT' type when playing online on Xbox One. If you do run in to any issues with NAT type, reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to help.

thanks for replying

Chris W.

Chris W.asked

Pentanet

HI can you tell me what your contention ratio is, will this be increased should the demand for your service increase? Also, do you connect directly into the NBN internet backbone or via a third party? What was your capacity pre Covid19 on the backbone and was it increased by NBN during Covid19? A lot of questions but I dont want to sign up for a fast service only to have it slow down by over subscription and throttling by a third party provide which you have no control over. This would be for the fixed wireless service.

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi Chris! The answer depends on which service you're looking at, so let's break it down to fixed wireless and NBMN.

We operate Perth’s largest (and fastest growing!) fixed-wireless network from Mindarie to Rockingham and east to Roleystone. At each tower, we employ carrier-grade MPLS switches and the majority of towers are fed by almost 300km of dark fibre, forming a series of fibre rings circling Perth and connecting our customers to five datacenters. The rings will be/are self-healing, and easily able to meet our growth and backhaul needs.

NBN-wise, we have direct connectivity to most WA POIs, and we plan to publish CVC utilisation graphs per POI on our website. Transparency and accountability play a big part in our business values.

COVID-19 has increased usage by around 30 per cent, but we’re seeing a lot more usage across the whole day as opposed as the traditional peak hour. Our network is built around peak capacity and we’re seeing some of that excess capacity getting used but it's not really touching the sides so to speak!

We limit the number of people on our network, for the sole purpose of avoiding overcrowding to keep consistent, reliable speeds for all of our customers. Hope this answers your questions!

sampetschakasked

Pentanet

hi i have been having a couple of problems with my internet lately and im wondering if there is anyway u could tell me what ping i would get if i went with pentanet

Team PentanetPentanet

Hey @sampetscak! Latency (ping) depends on a few factors, but our fixed wireless generally customers enjoy low ping all day and night. Pentanet was started by gamers, so we understand the need for it! We reduce ping by peering with gaming servers so the traffic runs directly. Our network operations team are regularly tweaking traffic to ensure the fastest possible routes.

sampetschak

Thanks @pentanet, I’ll make sure to look further into it :)

phoebhelloasked

Hi everyone!
Does Pentanet (either wireless or NBN) doesn't cause any connection problem no matter how many wifi gadgets is connected to the router? I am in Ellenbrook and I keep on changing internet provider but they are mostly all the same......slow connection especially on weekends and during night time of any day. Please share your honest thoughts about this. Thank you.....

Craig
Craig

I had bad connection experience with pentanet, consistently rubbish speeds on their NBN 100/40 fiber to house connection. Currently with Mate broadband, speed is always 90mbps all day round and I have easily 20 plus wifi devices online at any given point.

phoebhello

Did they offer you to change your connection to a wireless one? Coz a pentanet guy told me over the phone that the connection is direct to their private network.

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi @Phoebhello, our fixed wireless service is a private network using our own infrastructure. The network is never overcrowded so you enjoy consistent, reliable speeds all day and night (including weekends). Just something to note though, even if your internet service is the fastest it can be, your modem/router will play a huge part in your experience over wifi. We're happy to recommend some great devices for you based on your usage :)

Andy W

Andy Wasked

Pentanet

Do you know if we lose Foxtel by kicking Telstra into touch and signing up with Pentanet??
A bit over the slow speeds and dropouts

Team PentanetPentanet

Foxtel typically doesn't require internet from a specific ISP, but we recommend you speak with your Foxtel provider to be 100% sure. If it's bundled in with your internet service and you want to change providers, you'll probably need to speak with Foxtel to transfer it, or sign up again :)

Paul T
Paul T

Hi Andy, I just kicked Telstra to the curb so to speak. What happened to me was If you disconnect the home phone line all services are rendered useless and everything stops that day. If you want to keep your Foxtel you must ring Telstra FIRST and they will disconnect your service first. Then basically you will have to re-sign with Foxtel as a Foxtel customer. The 2 accounts can no longer be linked. You will have to return the Foxtel equipment or face fees and charges and Telstra will tell you how to do that. When you re-sign with Foxtel they will give you an IQ-4 box and start your services again as a Foxtel customer.

PS I got rid of ALL Telstra services and didn't renew my Foxtel. It will cost you more to connect to Foxtel directly. eg. with Telstra, Foxtel is included in your bundle and because this is a bundled deal between Foxtel and Telstra, a connection to Telstra is required. I added a Sports pack and it cost me $30/Mth. If I connect to Foxtel directly, full price needs to be paid at: Existing Customers = $89/Mth or NEW customers $59/Mth. I decided to not renew it.

Grantasked

Hi Peeps,

I am currently with Aussie BB and have noticed that my world of warships (sorry the geek in me is quite strong) connection is getting quite laggy during peak times. The connection speed is great (my router reports a connection of 109 down and 40 up on a 100m plan) but upon doing a ping test it seems (not surprising) that my connection goes to Melbourne then to Singapore (this is where the lag kicks in). Is anyone on Pentanet able to to a pingplotter to login1.worldofwarships.jp (if that is not too much of a bother).

Team PentanetPentanet

Hey Grant! We took a look, and latency to that host from our network over a 24 hour period is 48ms average (48.4ms max) :)

Grant

Thanks team. I will continue to monitor and if the problem persists you may have a new customer. I have previously called your team in regards to wireless broadband but unfortunately the strata did not want to have a 4m pole attached to our roof. In any case I was really impressed with the effort your team went to. Great customer service!

James M.
James M.

Im in perth mate and i get 62ms latency (ping) with pentanet. Its got nothing to do with the provider, its because like 'world of warships' the game i plays server is in melbourne aswell, so you will never get 0 ping on the west coast.

Mark C.asked

Pentanet

Hi Pentanet, currently I'm with iinet and it is OK but I wonder what gaming ping times I'd get with fixed wireless, also is the price of organising fibre to the premises crazy, if that's an option? Thanks regards Mark

Andrew Nguyen
Andrew Nguyen

My was 7-11 ms with Pentanet. Previously with TPG around 40-50ms

Thanks mate !!!

arthu rneil  jenkins

arthu rneil jenkinsasked

Pentanet

Is an on roof dish required

Team PentanetPentanet

Hello! A dish on the roof is required for our fixed wireless internet. We also offer fibre services which don't require a dish :)

AJAY

AJAYasked

Hi,
Currently living in a shared home, and have abysmal internet speed. Do you have any discreet type connections that may not require an antenna to be installed?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi Andrew, we also offer NBN and private fibre connection if that's of interest. Our fixed wireless relies on a line of sight to a tower, so a small dish on the room is a must :)

Kezasked

Pentanet

I have a bundle(mobile, land line and internet) with Telstra. It runs out in about one year. Do I have to stay with them when I connect to NBN or can I use another server. Thank you. Kerry

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi Kerry, you can definitely change providers when your contract expires. With your internet, the NBN provides the infrastructure, and an Internet Service Provider (like us!) will provide the service to your home. Not all ISPs offer a bundle, but often you will be better off separating these services to make sure you get the best service for each item. We would love to chat to you about how Pentanet is bringing Perth's internet up to speed. Please visit pentanet.com.au when you're ready.

Kez

Thanks for the information. So are you saying even tho I have a year to go on my contract, I can change my server to get on NBN with your company ASAP. ???
Sorry, I’m an old bloke and not very tech savvy. My account number with Telstra is 2000603409291 if that helps to check it out.
Thank you. Kerry

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi Kerry! Your contract must be coming up for renewal soon... let's chat if you're still looking to switch providers! :)

Rino P.asked

Pentanet

Do you have a home bundle package .. With internet . Home phone line. Netflix . Payment extention's?

Team PentanetPentanet

Hi Rino, our prime goal is to bring your internet up to speed. We don't currently offer a bundle service, we focus on what we're really good at - delivering superfast internet to your home or business!

Rino P.

Thanks any way I'll stick to my provider.

Team PentanetPentanet

No problem! We'll be here if you change your mind :)

Get an answer from our members and Pentanet representatives

Other Internet Service Providers