Powershop Australia Questions & Answers

Listing monitored by Powershop Australia

43 questions from our users

Daniel
Daniel asked

why is powershop taking money out of my account on top of us paying the bill?

Powershop A.Powershop Australia

Hey Daniel, there could be a few reasons for this, but without your account details, we are unable to see what's happened. Are you able to contact us so we can look into this further? Please feel free to email complaints@powershop.com.au or call us on 1800 462 668.

Many thanks,
Chloe

gypsymaggie
gypsymaggieasked

Can someone please explain how powershop will buy power for me now that they don't have the mega packs anymore & do they use the credit from my concession that is in my powershop account first?

Ralph B.
Ralph B.asked

What are the charges to disconnect a sunyield system

Dear Powershop Customers, and Ex Customers of Powershop,
When you join Powershop on a concession, how long is it before they give you a major price hike?
**I need to know the answer. as I am thinking of joining Powershop.**
Thanks in advance, Anonymous762

Leanne M.
Leanne M.

I'm not on a concession, but for me, it was about 18 months to 2 years before they DRASTICALLY changed my discount structure. I was originally getting up to 17% discount on their Power Packs, but now I'm averaging about 4%. It was great to begin with, but not so much now.

To Leanne M,
Thank you for your answer. It seems that most of the power companies somehow work out a way to give you a major price hike after you have been with them for a while. Some people change companies every 12 months for this reason.
Regards,

Dear Powershop Customers and Ex Customers of Powershop,
Please inform me: -
At the moment, is Powershop a good company to go with if you are a high electricity/gas user, live on a low income, have concession, and are a punctual payer, as you always prioritize your electricity/gas over all your other expenses?

Thanks, Anonymous762

Anonymous762asked

When will Powershop provide discounts for people on Centrelink, to make them a more inclusive power company ?

Powershop A.Powershop Australia

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. If you are struggling with your bills, don't hesitate to give us a call. There are a few different ways we can help. Cheers, Peter

Anonymous762asked

When will Powershop provide paper bills?

Powershop A.Powershop Australia

Unfortunately it's unlikely we'll start issuing paper bills, as we believe online bills are a great way to save paper & footprint. However, if you require one as a once-off please let us know and we will see what we can do.

Anonymous762

Thank you for your response.

Anonymous762

Some people cannot have the email bill option due to computer hackers, or their computer system being down.

Michelle
Michelleasked

How can I receive a gas disconnection notice from Powershop Australia for not creating a gas account with Powershop Australia when I already get my gas and electricity from Red Energy? Are they trying to bully me into setting up an account with them by threat of disconnection?

Powershop A.Powershop Australia

Hi Michelle, thanks for reaching out. You can only have one supplier per meter point, so there looks to be some kind of mix up with your supply. You will need to confirm that you are being billed by Red Energy for the correct MIRN by checking your meter serial number. It's possible that you have the incorrect MIRN signed up with Red Energy, and Powershop holds the rights to the correct MIRN. Equally, it's possible that you have the correct MIRN signed up with Red Energy and the MIRN that Powershop holds the rights for is actually a neighbouring property, but either way it's something you'll need to get sorted or you could risk being disconnected. We're happy to help with this - give us a call on 1800 462 668, or Red Energy will also be able to assist by comparing your meter serial number with the MIRN. Cheers, Peter

Peter D.
Peter D.asked

Wow so many negative comments, Im really hoping theyre not true but willing to give you a try and see how it goes for a couple of months

Donna H.
Donna H.

We've signed up last month and reading all the negative comments too that really scares me. At the moment I've check our gas and it cost almost $200 ??? That really a shock. what else could cost us more during next winter? ...I'm thinking of switching. At the moment so not happy what I've seen In my apps.

Anonymous762

To Donna, Thank you for your information. $200 for gas for 2 months or 3 months with Powershop?

TPT
TPTasked

Yeah I used to be on ~19c KWH and now it's 30c KWh.

My typical consumption was 15 KWh a day and now it's 28 KWh,

The usual bill was around $130 a month, and now it's jumped up to $270 a month.

AND nothing much has changed here - but your billing sure has.

ConsumerManasked

Does Powershop Australia donate to, or otherwise have a commercial arrangement/agreement with the political lobby group called GetUp?

Gazman73
Gazman73asked

WOW! I tried signing up to powershop today through RAY WHITE NOW.
A bit later I received a call from Powershop which made me jump through so many hoops including giving my bank details of my debit card,then said they would take out $1 to confirm its a working account.
At first I thought thats strange.
1 hour after being told my power will be connected in the next 2 days I was sent a text saying that my application was cancelled due to a so called poor credit rating.
I know I have a very good credit rating thank you very much!!!
Just checked my bank account and sure enough this company has taken the $1 from it.
They haven't supplied me with a service yet take my money and now Ive been forced to cancel my debit card.
I would like my $1 back.

JTF
JTFasked

How do you cancel a contract with Powershop? There is no information whatsoever available on the website. I wish these companies would be honest and open and not make cancelling a standard business contract such a time wasting experience.

Keyur
Keyurasked

How do I cancel Powershop as my energy retailer?

simon
simonasked

Hi, i have the same question as Sally and Jack. Powershop can you please explain the process of disconnecting the power? I searched the internet, and the app, and all i could come up with was how to transferr to a new address. I would like to be clear here. I simply would like a written script on how to disconnect the power. . This page is quite good enough for that script. Please be clear and concise with a step by step script. Thank you.

Simon

Marcus Gibson
Marcus Gibson

SImon, same as you, Jack and Sally, I've struggled to figure out how to disconnect. Any luck? I filled in the form to move to a new address, Powershop responded, but when we found out the new building had an embedded network (they can't connect) they conveniently forgot to disconnect the power at my old address.

Katie
Katieasked

Hi is my bill an estimate and why can't it be done on a written in meter reading anymore. This is a so called smart meter

Eddie

Powershop have paperless invoicing only, you only get bills via email. Are you in Vic or NSW? If Vic, then the bill should be actual use. NSW, maybe not depending on your distributor, how long you've been a customer and whether your meter is being remotely read. Daily meter readings are listed on your Powershop web portal - Usage tab > "Meter readings' link. It will indicate whether your readings are actual or not.

ConsumerManasked

Hi Powershop, sorry for so many questions but I am starting to see what everybody is complaining about with the new app. Can you please explain here, for everyone to see, the mathmatical calculation behind the estimated daily cost displayed on power packs available in the shop. Not even my trusty spreadsheet can work it out. Also, why is the January future pack only available in your web page and not the mobile app?

ConsumerMan

Can you answer the above question please Powershop team

Eddie

Not a Powershop Rep, but maybe I can clarify.
The estimated daily cost/day (Online Saver) is based on your average daily usage over the past 7 days. Applied to this average usage value are the applicable energy rates for your tariff type + daily service charge. As you've acknowledged, it's only an estimate. It has no bearing on what you pay for your power.
What you buy now is in effect credit packs. The $/day calc. by Powershop enables you to roughly work out how far a credit purchase will last. If you purchase $100 of Online Saver at an estimated daily cost of $2.50, then it will last around 40 days (100/2.5).

ConsumerMan

Thanks Eddie for taking the time to reply. I guess I knew all that, it's just that Powershop's calculations are extremely rubbery. The seven day usage they display on the app does not match the meter reads, so I am wondering why that is so. I then do the maths using Powershops figures and the answer is nothing like the estimated daily cost they display on each available power pack. looks like I will have to give them a call seeing they seem unwilling to particpate here.

ConsumerManasked

Dear Powershop, as a small solar generator owner I notice with very keen interest a couple of energy retailers have recently released new solar bonus schemes, obviously to attract solar owners coming off the NSW Government solar bonus FIT's at the end of the year. I notice they are offering around 12cents per Kw for exported power. This should spark (excuse the pun) some competition amongst energy retailers. Does Powershop have any plans to increase your current NSW FIT from the current 7.2cents per Kw?

ConsumerMan

I just received the email. Powershop solar FIT to increase to 8.2 cents per Kw/h from 1 January. Not as high as some of Powershop's competitors but no lock in contract or minimum spend like others.

ConsumerManasked

G'day Powershop Team. My app was updated today to the new "days, dollars, savings" format. It looks like I will be able to handle the change. One thing I don't understand is why my number of days of pre-purchased power has increased with the new app. This morning, on the old app, I had 14 days of power left and was getting ready to buy some more when suddenly the new app arrives telling me I now have 39 days of power remaining. Can you please explain.

Powershop A.Powershop Australia

Hi Alan, thanks for writing. That sounds a bit funny - can you please DM us your registered e-mail ID so we can look into this? Thanks, Adi

ConsumerMan

Thanks Adi for your quick response. I have now done my own calculations and believe the days of power remaining is correct. Under the old unit cost method I was actually starting to get concerned because the estimated usage you were displaying on my app for the current month seemed to be far too high. The new $$ method has made the current period more consistant with previous months and with my spread sheet where I compare daily Powershop pricing with my previous energy retailer together with a couple of your competitors.

frustratedasked

Oct 2016: Anybody else having problems with SP Ausnet (supplier) meter readings not corresponding with Powershop meter 'readings' as set out on my Powershop 'invoices'? I just want my smart meter readings to be the same as those entered (and supplied by SP Ausnet to Powershop), to be the same!! All very frustrating and I would say fraudulent! Powershop need to jump up and down on SP Ausnet!

Lanne
Lanne

Oh really?! I have no idea. I know my meter readings on Powershop only get updated periodically but haven't checked them against ap ausnet...

mac
mac

I am having the same issue that you seem to be having, with the reads being different between the power retailer (Powershop) and Poles and Wire provider (Ausgrid in NSW), but everything seems to show that the error is with Powershop and not Ausgrid.
I know that in NSW your can contact your Pole and Wires provider and request a detailed breakdown of your meter readings over a period of time. (I'm not sure if you can get the same info from Ausnet in Vic).

Strangely, if you go into your Powershop Login and go to usage and then the TAB "Your Rates", it gives you a more detailed breakdown of your usage and an different usage "estimate" which exactly corresponds with the readings that Ausgrid provide.
So Powershop have an identical usage "estimate" to Ausgrid readings, but choose to calculate my usage based on a different estimate that is higher than the Ausgrid reading.
Powershops unit pricing model is designed so there is no transparency with pricing and is nearly impossible to cross check your usage figures.

Thanks for your advice! I'm still investigating... Regards