Sleeping Duck Mattress

4.8 from 2,451 reviews

218 questions from our users

Kim

Kimasked

Hi guys, I’ve had a SD mattress for about 6 months and I’ve just realised I’ve been waking up really hot through the night. I use 100% cotton sheets, with a natural fibre summer-weight duvet, but I’m still sweating and waking through the night.
It’s now cooling off and certainly cool enough to not be sweating, so I’m wondering what I can do to cool further? My partner is experience the same problem on this mattress, but neither one of us has the problem on his other mattress.
Thanks!

Ann

Annasked

Firm King Single

Can you use a Woolen underlay with the matress

JasB
JasB

Hi Ann. I don’t see why not. We had a mattress comforter to make our previous tempur more plush. We thought it might add extra heat to the sleeping duck but we tried it with and without and there was no difference that we could tell. So now we have that and a lightweight mattress protector on there. I love the feel of plushness but excellent support.

Wayne DeLuca
Wayne DeLuca

I can't see why you couldn't. We use a Bamboo cotton mattress overlay protector and that is fine. I would recommend the Sleeping Duck mattress, great value for money, very comfortable with excellent support.

Hi Ann,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your question.

We are confident in our ability to get you comfortable through the customisation of the firmness layers. We recommend gaging the feel of your Duck initially without an underlay. However, you can absolutely use a woollen underlay if you would like to!

It's always good to keep in mind that any additional layers may cause some heat retention and could change the overall comfort of your Duck.

Kind Regards,

Elizabeth C.asked

My Bed has a slat base. is that suitable?

Elizabeth C.

The first mattress you speak about seem to be on a box base. my bed is on a slat base in a metal bedstead (with gold knobs). It doesn't need them base/ Do I need to purchase it?

tracey7401
tracey7401

I have an ensemble base and that’s what both the Ecosa and Sleeping Duck were on. Not sure about slats.

R  Mansell
R Mansell

ok providing it has two (2) mid centre bed supports

Rachel S

Rachel Sasked

What are the dimensions of the box the King mattress comes in?

Mate last time I got mine was 4 years ago. I remember it being really long , and now I think About it, probably the length of the mattress was how long it was so depends on what size you get. It's tight in plastic. The square ends of the box were not all that big. It's hard to get a king out though as you need room to slide it out as you lift the box unless you break it open. So you slide it as you lift box up but the guys who deliver would usually help I suppose if the virus wasn't a thing. It takes a while to fully inflate and I think I might of been the cause of the issue of my first one by sleeping on it before I allowed enough time for it to fully take shape. It's pretty cool how it expands. One thing I can't get over about the mattress is how it has this sporty look to it. You kind of want to show it off to guests and to yourself rather than hide it under a sheet. I'd definetly go half and half so that you can change it up after a year and then change back etc. The firm mattress is very firm. Nice soft top with the bamboo layer but still very firm. I haven't tried the new medium yet as they made the medium with something different than they do now. It was a type of memory foam and now they use something that is meant to be 8 times more breathable. I'm not a fan of memory foam though so that's cool by me. Our matter base and sides and corners all still look brand new. It's definetly not a mattress that ages badly. I wrote my review today after 4 years because the service I got these past couple of months and then it climaxed today was so out of this world and beyond anything I've experienced before that I had to do something. What happened today was basically something that made me realise they were actually reading my emails and my "excuses" to delaying purchasing a new one as actual reasons and not delay to buy tactics and that I was writing what was going on innour life to explain why I hadn't got around to it yet and you'd expect the sales to view it as I'm delaying and not serious and they phoned me up and said some things that made me realise they didn't care about the sale and cared more about how we as a family were doing. They actually listened to my reasons and cared enough to talk to their team about it, even though my messages to them were never intended to have anyone actually read what was going on, and was more just to let them know why I was so busy it may be hard for me to get it across as I want to keep the ending private but they showed me a really awesome side of their customer service team. Carla whom I thought was just a salesperson for a company whose job it is to make sales , she surprised me and showed me that she cared more about what we were going through as one human to another and could care less about us buying one or not. It was a very touching phone call she gave us after we ended up sending payment details through. It made me stoked to be a customer of hers and I hope that something goes wrong so we can deal with her again. I can't wait for our new mattress we ordered today. Our other one only needs replacing because of my back, not because the mattress feels anything other than what we purchased 4 years ago. I know this is a detailed reply but it's because I'm just mad love for sleeping duck today as it hasn't been 24 hours yet since that phone call.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Rachel! The size of the package our King size Ducks hatch from is as follows:

200cm x 40cm x 40cm. They will weigh approximately 60kg.

The box also comes with a sturdy handle and a set of wheels in order to aid in the manoeuvrability of the Sleeping Duck upon arrival.

And, to Freeflyingcameraman,

Thank you so much for your lovely message. We aren't a team of salespeople here at Sleeping Duck, and always view our customers sleep and well-being as our ultimate goal. Carla's approach is everything we strive to achieve as a team, so your beautiful words are appreciated more than you know.

As Carla mentioned, we wish you and your family the best of luck in these trying times, especially after all that you've been through together.

Sue D.

Sue D.asked

Do you need a mattress protector?

I'd recommend using one

Claudio D.
Claudio D.

I would think so but probably best to contact Sleeping Duck directly. They are very quick to respond to queries

Sue D.

Sue D.asked

Do you need a mattress protector on a sleeping duck mattress?

Yes I'd recommend one

Hi Sue!

Thanks for the question.

We would recommend using a waterproof mattress protector if possible on your Duck.

We recommend opting for using light, breathable natural fibres such as Tencel, bamboo and cotton whenever looking at protectors or underlays.

Stephen N.asked

Is a Ensemble Bed Base OK with sleeping duck mattress?

Richard
Richard

Sleeping Ducks advice is that it needs an evenly firm base, and they provide one which is presumably guaranteed. We have put the mattress onto an existing ensemble base which is pretty well universally firm and it works ok. However you have to make your own call on whether it's worth the risk.

Eric I

Yes it is ok as long as the spaces between the slats are no more than 8cm apart. We bought an ensemble bed base on Amazon from Mobile Mattress, it's perfect for the Sleeping Duck mattress

Stephen N.

Thanks guys for your quick response.
I have an innerspring ensemble base and going by the lady at sleeping duck it's not recommended and can void the warranty. So I bit the bullet and purchased the base as well. Cheers

Joy

Joyasked

We live in WA, we are in our 70’s and are thinking of purchasing this mattress . Can you please advise the cost including delivery etc on a queen size. Is there help to unpack and install it on delivery and how do we dispose of our current mattress.

mdoorey

mdooreyasked

What is the current shipping times to Sydney area

Hey there!

Our customers in our Sydney Metro delivery zone are be able to select a date and time slot for when their Sleeping Duck arrives. We deliver Monday to Friday in the morning (8am-2pm) and in the afternoon (12pm-6pm).

If the item or items you wish to purchase are in stock at the point of ordering, you will have the option to select one of these time slots that works best for you at checkout.

These time slots are subject to availability, so there can be some slight variance depending on demand; but if the item you're looking at is in stock, and there are slots available the next day, then we can have your Duck delivered and ready to take flight in time for bed that next night!

If stock isn't immediately available we would be in touch once it was good to go to arrange that delivery slot.

Dwight S.asked

We unrapped our king size mattris 12 hours ago with a plan to let it sit overnight before we sleep in it tonight. However there is a big lump which runs down the middle will this setting or is there anything else we need to do??

Thank you sleeping duck.

Just contacted with my concern. Staff answered were extremely polite, pleasant and extremely helpful. Just a few little adjustments and now we can't wait to try the bed tonight.

Excellent customer service

Sean

Seanasked

Where exactly is the latex? Is it a seperate layer/sheet on the top layer or is it embedded somewhere else?

Kris
Kris

The foam layers are in the comfort layer on top of the mattress.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Sean.

There is no latex contained in any current Sleeping Ducks. The two foam layers present in our Ducks utilise our own proprietary foams, both of which are made of polyurethane. These foams are expanded using pressure, rather than via chemical reaction.

Their open-cell design helps keep these layers 8x more open than regular foams, making them far more breathable.

As Kris alluded to these foams make up the top sections of a Sleeping Duck. They're enclosed within our bamboo mattress protector that acts as the very top surface of the mattress, and sit above the pocket spring layer.

Our Hyper-Adaptive foam makes up the top foam layer. Providing that initial cloud-like impact, it combines the pressure relieving properties of memory foam with the buoyancy of latex.

Sitting below the Hyper-Adaptive layer is our customisable High Density Foam. The foam on this layer dictates the overall level of firmness of the mattress. It can be easily removed and swapped out for other High Density Foam inserts, allowing us to alter the level of firmness of a Duck, even after it's hatched!

Helena H.

Helena H.asked

Hi

can I wash SDM in the washer? What temperature? I didn’t find any tag on it.

Helena H.

Helena H.asked

Hi
can I wash SD mattress cover in washer?
thanks
Helena

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the questions Helena.

The bamboo mattress cover which makes up the top of your Duck is indeed machine washable. For any minor stains we would recommend a local, hand spot wash.

For a machine wash, we'd recommend using a cold, gentle, low spin cycle and drying it flat in the shade. Try to avoid machine washing this cover any more frequently than every 6 months.

Robin robson

Robin robsonasked

Can I use a pine slat base with no spring on my mattress

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Robin.

You can absolutely use a slatted based to support our Ducks!

We do have recommendations as to what kind of bases you can use with our mattress. This is both to ensure that you get the benefits of a Sleeping Duck, and that the base provides a sufficient level of support to comply with our 10 year warranty.

When looking at slatted bases it's vital to make sure that the distance between the slats is no more than 8cm. This is in order to ensure direct necessary support for the pocket spring layer of our mattress. Gaps wider than this will a significant number of springs unsupported, affecting both the feel and longevity of your mattress.

Our warranty covers covers excessive levels of body imprints and wear on the mattress. For this reason, we also have central support requirements for Queen and King size bases.

For King size we require that the mattress have 2 central beams, that have 2 legs attached each, running down the bed from headboard to footboard. For Queen size we require just the 1 central beam, again with 2 legs attached.

These beams provide vital grounded, central support to prevent unnatural levels of wear and sagging that otherwise wouldn't occur.

You can find further information on the requirements for bases on the warranty page of our website!

christina b.

christina b.asked

Medium King

We would like to purchase a super king mattress from you and want to know the next step?
Email address is Christinabatsoukas@live.com.au

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Christina. We have also sent you an e-mail, but we'll outline it here as well!

Unfortunately we don't currently produce a Super King Sleeping Duck mattress.

Due to machinery limitations we can only make our Ducks in traditional Australian sizes from Single up to King.
Additionally, because our mattresses are pre-made in these standard Australian sizes with designated levels of firmness built in, we are also unable to offer custom sizing.

For those looking to get their hands on a Duck you have the option of placing your order via our website (sleepingduck.com), and by giving us a call on 1800 667 196.

If you were to purchase over the phone you would be able to pay via card (we accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express). If you were to order online, payment could be processed via card, PayPal, or an online financing option through ZipMoney.

Graham D.

Graham D.asked

The smell on my new mattress is so bad that I've had to stop using it and have pulled out the foam to try to air it. The foam feels almost greasy, is this normal?

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for reaching out to us Graham.

When opened our mattress will have a bit of an initial smell as it has been vacuum sealed for transport.

The smell definitely isn't toxic, and although most customers report that it dissipates after approximately 3 days, it should definitely disappear after at most few weeks or so.

However if you were struggling with that initial odour, our first recommendation to help speed up the process is to air the foam outside (as you have now done) out of direct sunlight, and ensure that pillow cases or linen (for example) are being washed as the smell can linger on these.

If you had any further concerns about any aspect of your Duck, whether about the smell or the feel of the foams, feel free to get in contact with us via a Direct Message here on Product Review. We can then have a look into the issue for you.

Tajstar

Tajstarasked

I’m wondering if anyone has had this mattress for longer than 12 months and can tell me if they are still happy with it and has it sagged at all? Thanks

Bonnie
Bonnie

We have had ours almost 18 months, and still absolutely love it. No sag, no discolouring, no deterioration in the foam or latex inside. So much better than all our previous mattresses. We have a king sized medium firm, and the base as well.

Hi there!

One of the best things you can do to get the absolute most out of your Duck is ensure that you are diligent in rotating it in order to disperse the wear and tear it receives, and to use a bed base that provides the necessary support.

We recommend rotating our Ducks head to toe (180 degrees) once a month for the first 6 months, and then quarterly after that. You can also find some great examples of the necessary base support and warranty conditions on the warranty page of our website.

Keith

Keithasked

will the mattress suit a adjustable base

Brett C.
Brett C.

I'd like to know as well

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Keith. Unfortunately our Sleeping Duck mattress isn't compatible with adjustable bases.

This is due to our Ducks being a combination of a specially designed pocket spring layer and foam layers. In order to work with adjustable beds, you would most likely require a full foam mattress with reclining in mind, or a spring mattress specifically designed to allow that reclining function.

Deeasked

My mattress was delivered and unpacked for me yesterday. I noticed that the plastic was only one layer and I'm concerned that I may have been given a mattress that was returned by a previous customer. How do I know my mattress is brand new?

Hi Dee,
Thanks for reaching out to us.

We can absolutely assure you that we would never send out a returned, or repackaged mattress to any of our customers. We actually aren't able to physically return an expanded Sleeping Duck into the plastic wrap and box that it arrives in!

Your Duck definitely would have had two layers of plastic securing its compression whilst in its box. They are vacuum pressed so that they sit tightly together, and can actually be cut open as one.

We do wish that we could use just the one layer, as this would greatly cut down on the use of plastic in this process. Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to sufficiently compress and constrain your Duck while it was being transported.

Let us know if there's ever anything else we can help you with!

King regards,

sashla

sashlaasked

Hi, I have unpacked my mattress. Does the sleeping duck logo need to be at the foot of the bed or is it okay to have it rotated 180 degrees?

Get an answer from our members and Sleeping Duck representatives