Sleeping Duck Mattress

244 questions from our users

Jen R.

Jen R.asked

Mattress

Hi, my son slept in our bed and wet the bed. What is the best way to clean the top layer of foam?

LeighCarol

LeighCarolasked

Can this come as ensemble and if so what price ? looking at under $1,000

Mary Blacklaws
Mary Blacklaws

Mattress comes in box, expands when opened. See you tube. Price depends on size. Double $1150 Queen $1500 King $1600 roughly. Better than spring mattresses

Jinie F.
Jinie F.

You can buy a base as well. check the web site, It is more expensive than $1000

John W

John Wasked

Mattress

I have a sensitivity to VOCs (out gassing of volatile compounds in foams), I am interested in your mattress but need to know whether the foam is 'out gassed' before manufacture? And what type of foam is used? Polyurethane or other?
I am concerned that if I buy your mattress I might get headaches from the foam.

Jan T.
Jan T.

Suggest you ask Sleeping Duck that question.

Cynthia

Cynthiaasked

Mattress

Has anybody had lower back pain from both the firm and medium and had a solution with the mixed pieces?

Sueasked

Medium Queen

Can an electric blanket be used safely on a sleeping duck mattress?

Hi Sue!

You can absolutely use an electric blanket on a Sleeping Duck without risking damage to any of its materials, including the foam layers.

As increased layers can change the feel and experience of the mattress, we'd recommend only using the electric blanket for no longer than 4 hours, just enough to warm up the bed before sleeping!

Sue

Thank you so much, I will submit an order shortly

Not a problem Sue!

Feel free to let us know if you ever have any more questions.

Sandra D.

Sandra D.asked

Firm King

looking to replace a very expensive mattress (>$7K) with a very poor record - my husband and i are overweight and we are both side sleepers - do you recommend your product? we are also looking at purchasing the sealy posturepedic - is your product more suitable, just as long lasting?

Joanne Roberts
Joanne Roberts

Hi Sandra, I'm overweight and a side sleeper. I purchased the medium sleeping duck mattress and do not regret it at all. I'm extremely happy with it. I read up on a lot of reviews and even spoke to my chiropractor about the sleeping duck mattress.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Sandra (and Joanne for that response)!

We're not experts in other brands, so can only speak for our own products; however we're definitely confident that the Duck will be able to provide the right fit for both of you for its 10 year lifespan.

We appreciate that it can absolutely be tricky to find that fit in terms of firmness, support and longevity. The hybrid design of a Duck combines both the tailored support and added longevity provided by its pocket spring layer with the comfort and customisation of Hyper-Adaptive and high density foam layers that sit above it.

As in Joanne's case, we find that most side sleepers tend to gravitate towards our Medium level of firmness. The Medium provides added give and cushioning that can often help with pressure point issues or joint pain that comes from side sleeping.

If you found the Medium didn't quite have the required support, you could always then give our Firm a try. Although it does provide added support, the Firm still utilises the cushioning of that Hyper-Adaptive (just as the Medium does), so it still shouldn't feel rock hard.

Under your 100 night guarantee, you're able to alter this level of firmness for free within those 100 nights after the date of delivery. This allows us to try and find the exact right night's sleep for you. So regardless of the level of firmness you decided to start on, within this period we can change things around, for free, to get you comfortable.

If things just don't work out with your Sleeping Duck, you are of course also entitled to a free return and full refund for your Sleeping Duck mattress within this period.

Let us know if you have any further questions at all!

Christine Tasked

Mattress

Can I put a mattress topper on sleeping duck mattress for extra comfort

Hi Christine,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

We are confident in our ability to get you sleeping comfortably through the customisation of our firmness layers within the mattress.

Initially, you will have the choice between our Medium and Firm inserts. Medium is great for stomach/side sleepers and we usually suggest the Firm if you find yourself more of a back sleeper.

During your 100 night guarantee, we do also have a Soft insert available for you to try! This is just not an option straight away as we do find that our Medium still offers that lovely soft feeling.

Of course though, at the end of the day if you’d like to add a topper there is absolutely no harm, just keep in mind that this may just cause some heat retention within the mattress.

Have a lovely evening and let us know if we can help further :)

Christine T

Thanks so much. We do have a firm Sleeping Duck and I love it - my husband finds it a bit firm and less luxurious than our previous Sealy mattress. Your response is helpful cheers Chris

Jonathon L.

Jonathon L.asked

Hi sleeping duck

Your video suggests rotating the mattress every 3 months, but what if we have a half half mattress, do me and my partner need to swap sides every 3 months also

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for reaching out, Jonathan!

The half/half set-up is perfect for couples who have quite different sleeping styles and needs, it means we can accommodate each individual and keep both of you sleeping happy :)

We completely understand that most couples would have their preferred sides of the bed in which to sleep on.

However, you would absolutely still need to rotate your mattress a few times a year to help maintain an even distribution of weight through your Duck.

Once you have rotated, you would then need to simply unzip your top cover, roll back and place to the side your top Hyper-Adaptive layer of foam and swap over your firmness foam (this will be in two halves).

Don’t hesitate to get in touch if we can help further.

Sheridan L.

Sheridan L.asked

Mattress

Are sleeping duck mattresses ok on a sprung mattress.

Vicki Ring
Vicki Ring

I don’t know as have the slats which I bought from sleeping duck.

Hi Sheridan,

Thanks for getting in touch :)

We absolutely recommend using slatted base to promote airflow and breathability through your Duck, however any firm, solid surface is also perfectly fine to use.

I’m sorry to say that the mattress is not designed to work with a sprung base as it can compromise the pocket springs within the mattress.

If you wanted to have a read over our bed base requirements to ensure you get the best possible lifespan of your Duck, definitely head to the warranty page on our website:

I hope this helps! Please let us know if we can assist further.

Robert

Robertasked

Medium Queen

Hi there ,
I would like to buy the Queen Medium Mattress , and send it to overseas.
Now the problem is if the person didn’t like the Medium feeling and prefers the hard 1 this will be a big problem to send again the hard 1.
I was wondering if it’s possible to include the hard 1 too if possible and how much $$$ extra do I have to pay.
Thank you !
Best regards
Robert

David
David

Ask the customer service person as i don't believe it to be a problem but there will be another package to send and I am not sure about the price

GaryB.
GaryB.

i agree with the above comments. Ask customer service, My wife found the medium, not supportive enough. We had a firm mattress before, that is why i ordered firm on my side and the wife wanted to try the medium. She kept on moving closer to me as she said the firmness felt better. (her words) good luck with your purchase you wont a better mattress in my opinion

Hi Robert,
Thanks so much for reaching out.

While we are currently only available to ship within Australia, this is definitely something we are looking to expand on as we continue to grow as a company.

We wouldn't necessarily recommend this an option as once you ship one of our products overseas, you would no longer have access to the 10 year warranty, returns or firmness swaps, a service which we are proud to offer to our customers.

However, if you had the item shipped to an area included in our delivery range, it is completely up to you with what you would like to do next.

If you would like to have a bit more of a chat, feel free to get in touch with us.

Anthony Vince

Anthony Vinceasked

Mattress

Can I still put my mattress protector on or does it spoil the mattress performance?

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Anthony!

We would absolutely recommend the use of a mattress protector! This will keep your Duck looking nice and fresh and protect the foams.

One that is waterproof and made from a lightweight, natural material such as bamboo or tencel would be best, this will limit any heat retention and will not affect the performance of your mattress :)

Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Helzasked

Pro Mattress Half-Half

Hi we’ve had our half half mattress delivered today! We’ve unwrapped it but how do we know what half is which? We’ve unzipped it but that reveals two different coloured foam, but not white or purple as we’d expected!

LesleyG
LesleyG

I suggest you contact Sleeping Duck directly as l don’t know if they have changed their colour coding. Purple from memory is hard.

Helz

Thanks Lesley, appreciate that. I’d like to think that when we lie on it we can tell the difference but we’re in the 3 hour wait so we’ll wait til later! Are you a happy customer? Can’t believe how it fits in that box!!

Hi Helz,

Thanks for the question.

Oh, it really is exciting to watch the Duck hatch!

We have actually been testing out different dyes for our foams, we understand it can be a little confusing as you were expecting to see purple and white foams.

The Medium foam will be a light grey and the Firm will be a darker grey.

This colour change will not affect the performance or functionality of your foams, the only difference is the colour :)

Don’t hesitate to let us know if we can help with anything else!

Nickasked

Mattress

Just opened mine today and it has a big lump in the middle. Is this normal.

Barbara Boyle
Barbara Boyle

Hi Nick, mine certainly didn’t have any lumps. It’s really comfortable.

John Baker
John Baker

Mine didn’t have any lumps either. Had you left it to properly decompress for at least 3 hours?

Nick

Yes. More than 3 hrs. I'm still not sleeping on it as ill have to call them on Monday.
Very disappointed.

Darron64

Darron64asked

Mattress

Hi. Can someone tell me if this mattress causes heat retention? I like an ultra soft mattress and have a Sealy plush one at the moment that is so hot to sleep on that it is almost unbearable. It is fine for winter but I will be getting rid of it before the weather gets hot again, so I'm starting my research now. Can someone tell me if the softer sleeping duck mattresses gets hot to sleep on?

Hi Darron,

Thanks for the question :)

The Duck’s Hybrid-Design combines both springs along with foam, this allows for more ventilation than a full foam mattress, however can feel slightly warmer than a full innerspring mattress.

We have specifically designed our Ducks to minimise heat retention, including pressure expanding our foams. This creates a more open and breathable structure when compared to traditional latex and memory foams.

We would definitely suggest using light breathable layers all year round and having a supportive slatted base can also help with airflow.

As always, please let us know if we can assist with anything else.

LissaH

LissaHasked

Mattress

Hi. Is the sleeping duck a good choice for allergy sufferers? I haven’t read any info on this

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Lisa :)

Our Sleeping Ducks have not been tested for, and aren't classified as, hypoallergenic.

However, our bamboo mattress cover that makes up the very top of our Ducks is used for its naturally anti-microbial properties.

This, and the synthetic nature of our foams being an unsuitable breeding ground for organisms such as dust mites, can really help those prone to allergies.

Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else.

Gabrielle M.asked

Mattress

Hi, we received our mattress a few days ago.
There is a strong chemical odour preventing us sleeping on it. How long will it take for the smell to dissipate?

L J BvP
L J BvP

We slept on ours the first night of receiving it. No smell from ours.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for your question, Gabrielle.

An initial smell is completely normal when unpacking, this is caused by the compressing and vacuum sealing of the mattress and is completely non-toxic.

The severity of this can also depend on how sensitive you are to smell.

This should disappear after a few days or so, however to speed up the process you can always unzip and wash your top cover on a gentle, low spin cycle in the machine. Also, try removing the foams and allowing them to air out in a cool, dry place :)

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Thank You!

Taki E.

Taki E.asked

Mattress

Hi Sleeping duck, if we purchase a mattress, do you take away our old mattress?

Lorraine O
Lorraine O

No you have to arrange that yourself. Ours was collected by the local council hard rubbish or there are companies who will collect it for a fee.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Taki.

We don't currently have the services available to remove old mattresses, however your local council may be able to give you some information on hard rubbish pick up.

Customers in the past have also had luck with finding mattress removal companies via google within their area. Often a local charity that accepts donations can be a good option, provided the mattress is in good condition.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else :)

David R.

David R.asked

Mattress

Sleeping Duck says their mattress is 8 times cooler , how warm is it in winter.? dose it hold heat , or let the cold come in under you.?

Kerry Killeen
Kerry Killeen

It is warm (not hot) and cuddly at the moment. We have not been cold. Our house is quite warm as well. We haven't tested it in summer yet.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question David.

One of the unique elements of a Sleeping Duck is its proprietary Hyper-Adaptive and high density foams. These foams are produced using a process called pressure foaming, resulting in an open cell structure, and that added breathability when compared to traditional memory foam and latex.

This breathability simply means that any heat transferred and trapped in the foam layers via body heat, or the air in the room, is minimised rather than say, allowing cooler air to come from below the mattress. This means that even though it stays cooler for you in summer than a traditional foam mattress, it shouldn't allow draughty cold air to flow through it from underneath in winter.

carlo

carloasked

Firm King

i need a new single the price advective include base?

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for reaching out to us Carlo.

Our Sleeping Duck mattresses and Bed Bases are purchased separately.

The price of our Single Ducks are $799, and our black Bed base (that can be viewed on our website here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/bedbase) in Single size is priced at $399.

So the grand total of a purchase of a Single mattress and bed base together would be $1,198 (delivery included).

If you ever have any further questions please don't hesitate to send us an e-mail or give us a call!

Ozzyasked

Mattress

Viewing through the manufacturers details about the mattress, and consumer reviews that highlight pre-existing physical conditions such as bad back, hip, neck. Nowhere can I find which relates to the weight of the person. This must have a large effect on the type of mattress, the firmness and the length of time it takes before considerable sagging occurs, and the above physical conditions mention above occur. Its personal information, but so is telling others via reviews that you have a bad back or neck. When you visit a medical person, weight is one of the main components of a persons health. No one knows who you are via these reviews.

Why is there not a standard rating provided on a persons weight to assist when purchasing a mattress?
Such as 30-50Kg, 50-70kg, 70-90kg, 90-110kg, and so on

kittycat
kittycat

Ummm I don't work there so I don't know. i just bought one.

Sleeping D.Sleeping Duck

Thanks for the question Ozzy!

Through our research and testing of the Duck, we have found that weight does not play a huge role. It will not affect the overall comfort and support that you are receiving.

However, the Duck has only been tested to hold up to 140kg per side. Any more than this and we just couldn't be sure how the mattress would perform in the long term.

It is also important that you have the correct supportive base and rotate regularly, as this will ensure your Duck does not run into issues with dipping and sagging, regardless of the weight distributed on it.

As always, our team is here to answer any further questions or concerns you may have :)

Ozzy

Hi Sleeping Duck, thank you for replying to my question regarding a persons weight when purchasing a mattress. I fall into the 100-105kg weight range, which I sleep both on my side and back, and logically and common sense tells me that I would require a firm mattress, which is what I always purchase. If it was medium firmness, I would not expect the mattress to support that weight for the life of the mattress, I would begin to have discomfort or pain.

I checked out the Sleeping Duck website before writing these comments, but as I mentioned in my original question there is no mentioning of a persons weight. The Sleeping Duck basis on how the person sleeps, with medium for side sleepers, firm for back sleepers, even though the firmness can be changed within the first 100 nights.

When I purchased my current mattress which is just over 3 years old, I was trying to avoid mattresses that had these toppers built in, but within the price range I was prepared to spend which was not on the cheap side, the mattress came with an inbuilt topper in the extra firm range. The mattress sits on a flat base, as there are built-in drawers under the base. The mattress is rotated 180dg every 3 months (beginning of each season).

Now the topper itself does not provide the support as it once did in the middle, it still does around the edges, but now I am beginning to have lower back pain on one side of my back. There is nothing wrong with the other parts of the mattress. To me, the topper is there for the purpose of cooling/air flow, but not actually for long term support. With the topper being around 6cm in height, I am now sinking 6cm through the middle length of the mattress. whether I am sleeping on my side or back.

Because of my own experience, is the reason of my original question regarding a persons weight not taken into account when purchasing a mattress.

Get an answer from our members and Sleeping Duck representatives