Sleeping Duck Mattress

4.8 from 2,119 reviews

196 questions from our users

Karl G.

Karl G.asked

Do you have a mattress with a 10/10 level of firmness (very firm) as I have severe lower back ache. Any suggestions?

Janet J.

Janet J.asked

Is it vegan?

Hi Janet,

Thank you for inquiring!

We have never had the mattress tested to be vegan certified. Though to our knowledge there are no animal products used within the mattress.

Sue M.asked

Medium Double

Can the foam layers be put out in the sun, to get rid of the smell?
Is there anything else I can do, as the mattress makes my very sensitive daughter itchy.

GeorgiaC
GeorgiaC

The foam layers are removable, so yes air them in the sun, the smell will go. I also washed my new mattress cover and put that on before the sheets. I aired my mattress for several days before I slept in it with the windows wide open and the smell went.
I am extremely sensitive to smells.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your query!

To help dissipate the smell in the foams, this can definitely be aired outside. However we would recommend avoiding direct sunlight as it can cause discolouration in the foams.

As Georgia mentioned, we would also recommend keeping the window open, as well as washing the mattress cover and sheets as it is common for the smell to linger.

If you're still experiencing trouble with the smell after a few weeks, please be sure to get in touch with our team at info@sleepingduck.com or 1800 667 196.

Sue M.

Thank you, I have put the foam outside and it seems to have helped. If it has been in the sun for awhile, will it damage the foam? When putting it back does the thinner layer go on top, not sure which way it was before?

Tayla S.

Tayla S.asked

Hi, what are a few mattress protectors that fit the King size sleeping duck mattress? Best quality ones preferred

Jenny Venman
Jenny Venman

I just got a simple one from Adairs, nothing fancy. They are quite a deep mattress but it fitted well.

Hi Tayla,

Great question!

We would recommend using sheets and protectors made from light, breathable materials such as cotton, Tencel and bamboo.

A great mattress protector we have found is a brand called In Your Dreams. This is a bamboo waterproof mattress protector that fits the Duck and can be found at Spotlight or online.

G M.

G M.asked

Hi there I was wondering how long it takes for the strong chemical smell takes to dissipate? I just cannot sleep on this mattress as the smell gives me a headache and makes me feel ill.

DandS
DandS

We had no problem with any chemical smell.

PeterM
PeterM

Well GM, you have asked the right person for this. My wife is very sensitive due allergies to chemicals and smells. We unzipped the top cover and washed it, after washing my wife was ok with the cover. We also separated the foam layers and spring base and aired them out in the sunshine to help rid of the chemical smells. It took a number of weeks before my wife was able to sleep in the bed, but saying that I understand that is quite extreme due to how sensitive she is. I wouldn't think that would be the norm for everyone. For me I could smell that the bed was new when it was unpacked, I was ok with sleeping in it after a week of airing out.
Hopefully this will assist you with resolving your headaches.

Hi GM,
Thank so much for your query.

You've definitely asked the right person, PeterM has done a fantastic job in answering this for you.

A smell during the first few weeks is perfectly normal. New foams naturally have a smell just like a new car.
The smell isn't toxic, and will disappear after a couple of weeks or so.

From our experience, some customers can find the smell quite strong, and others can't recognise it at all.

As PeterM mentioned, to help expedite up the airing process you can also unzip the top and take the foams out during the day to help air, and make sure to keep windows open.
Sometimes bedding can absorb some of the smell and cause it to linger, so it may be best to wash the top cover and sheets.

If the smell hasn't dissipated after a few weeks, please get in touch with our team at info@sleepingduck.com or 1800 667 196.

Amanda B.asked

Hi we bought the sleeping duck mattress in medium. It is great for my husband but for me it still feels a bit hard. I have back and hip pain and find sleeping on my side makes everything sore. Is there any softer insert or some suggestion. I do want to keep it if possible.

Hi Amanda,

Thanks so much for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear about the pain you've been experiencing. We'd be happy to work with you to get you comfortable!

We do have a Soft option available which will allow you to sink in the mattress a little more.

If you would like to discuss your options, please give us a call on 1800 667 196 or email on info@sleepingduck.com.

Amanda B.

Thank you so much. I will ring to discuss. Yay!

Masters C.

Masters C.asked

Hi we bought our sleeping duck mattress and was delivered yesterday, the comfort was amazing, however we felt it created heat, can you advise why!
christine masters
christinemasters21@gmail.com

Chris Bird
Chris Bird

It does feel warmer, I think with the foam your body heat stays a bit longer than what you may be used to. Do you have a summer doona? Hope you get comfortable with it,sleep well.

Hi Masters,

Thanks for your query!

Our mattress is a Hybrid design - a combination of pocket springs and foam, is going to be much cooler to sleep on than a full foam mattress. This is due to the production, as we use a process called pressure expansion(as compared to chemical expansion) which makes the foam 8x more open than standard.

However in comparison to a traditional full spring mattress, you may find the Hybrid design slightly warmer. This is also subjective to the individual as many find the mattress to be cooler, though some find it to be too warm.

There are a few things you can do to help minimise with the heat in the mattress.

We recommend using light breathable layers all year round. Remove any large and bulky mattress toppers and protectors and opt for a waterproof cover using natural fibres such as Tencel, bamboo and cotton.

Using the correct slatted base will also optimise the airflow through the mattress. Also keeping your room well ventilated, opening windows for as long as possible during the day.

Let us know how you go in the next week or so and if you're still experiencing quite some heat, please get in touch with our team at info@sleepingduck.com or 1800 667 196.

Em.asked

Firm Queen

We find the sheets keep slipping off. What are we doing wrong? Comfortable otherwise. Could it be the mattress protector? We bought several new pairs of organic cotton sheets with deep wall on fitted sheets I.e. 50 cm.

Hi Em!

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

We tend to get this kind of feedback from people who are more on the 'restless sleeper' side of things.

For example, we manufacture our Sleeping Duck sheets to be a little deeper (39cm) to ensure that they fit the depth of our mattress which is 31cm. However, I'm sure this extra length could potentially assist in the sheets wriggling upwards throughout the night - which I can understand would be a tad frustrating.

I would recommend ensuring that the sheets have been completely fitted over the sides of the mattress.

Let us know if you have any other questions, or if there's anything else our team can assist you with.

Em.

thanks but that's not really practical when one has arthritis and the mattress weighs heavy. I sleep well despite this and never have any neck or back aches.... that's the most important quality! I might try a less slippery mattress protector and see if that helps.

Carol E.asked

How many hours after you open up the bed can I sleep on it??

Amin
Amin

Hi Carol. I left the mattress uncovered on timber slats for about 12 hrs to dissipate the trapped chemical odour.

thankyou

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the question and apologies for the delay!

Once opened, our mattress will return to its true size and shape within 72 hours of unpacking, but you'll be able to sleep on it after 3-4 hours. It will then continue to decompress over the coming weeks, during which the feel and firmness of it will continue to get better and better.

If there's anything our team can help you with in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jen

Jenasked

Have you got a Queen size that wont get hot and is soft for chronic pain in hips shoulders etc?

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the second question!

Mattresses work very similar to insulation in the walls the thicker the insulation the better job it does of stopping the temperature from escaping.
This implies that mattresses that just have foam will be the warmest as the heat your body creates wont be able to escape through the mattress. On the other hand, spring only mattresses will be the coolest.

The Sleeping Duck mattress, however, is a hybrid mattress so it is in-between the warmest foam only mattresses and the coolest spring only mattresses.

In general we don't get many issues with our mattress in regards to heat, but of course it can happen. At the end of the day, everyones body is so individual and can react to things completely differently - this is what is so important about having the 100 night trial and having the time to figure out if this mattress is right for you.

If there's anything else our team can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jen

Jenasked

I need a mattress that will not get hot and is more on the softer side due to chronic joint pain hips shoulders etc

Glenda B
Glenda B

Jen, I understand your pain issues. I've just had one hip replaced and the other one needs doing too. So to find a bed that supports you is extremely important. My old bed was only 7 years old but I was not sleeping well at all. The medium support of the mattress does feel quite soft but it is supportive. You feel like you sink into a wonderful place, once your body has found 'that spot'. I made the decision to buy the bed before my operation and I immediately knew that I'd done the right thing. Sleep had eluded me for so long that I was amazed at how deep I did actually sleep on this mattress. I am a 'hot bod' and so far the mattress hasn't made me feel hot. Hope this helps. Nothing ventured nothing gained with the return policy, so give it a go.

Hi Jen,

Thanks for getting in touch, we really appreciate it.

The key to waking pain free is ensuring you get pressure relief in your sore spots and the right level of support where you need it. We would recommend the Medium for side sleepers as you will sink slightly in the mattress to alleviate the pressure in your shoulder and hips.

We do offer a great 100 night guarantee - if for any reason you are unhappy with your mattress, you can return it for a full refund. Firmness swaps are also free in this period, and easy to do with our modular design.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

TraceyDasked

Medium King

How long does the smell last for. Ive had mine for 2 weeks and it still smells

Emma Sim
Emma Sim

We purchased a new mattress, feather doona, underlay and sheets. There is a new smell still but i dont mind it. Dont know which one of these still has the new smell.

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for getting in touch, we really appreciate it.

Our Sleeping Duck foam used in the mattress is polyurethane, and is expanded using pressure. The foams are also GECA approved and have been tested by their standards to show no detectable VOCs. You can find more information about GECA at http://www.geca.eco/.

When opened our mattress will have a bit of an initial smell as it has been vacuum sealed for transport and you can liken this to a new car smell - the severity of which can depend on how sensitive you are to smell. This is non-toxic.

If you're finding that the smell in the mattress is lingering we often suggest taking out the foams during the day and standing them against a wall in a ventilated room. I would also suggest changing sheets often as they can absorb the smell and cause it to linger.

TraceyD

Thank you. Ill follow your advice and air the foam

TKC

TKCasked

I have a king base but the slats are 11cms apart. Is this a problem for the king mattress? There is only one centre support also...

Hi TKC,

Thanks for getting in touch, we really appreciate it.

Unfortunately we wouldn't be comfortable in guaranteeing that your existing Base will adequately support our Mattress with its current construction.

If using a slatted base, we do require that the distance between the slats is less than 8cm. The reason for this is that the pocket springs need support in order to function correctly. Gaps wider than 8cm will leave a significant number of springs unsupported and will affect both the feel and longevity of the mattress.
The 11cm gap would void the warranty but a quick fix could be to add a 12mm or 15mm piece of plywood board on top of slats.

As you have a King size Base we do have to advise that a second support beam including two support legs would also have to be added. As the King mattress is 60kgs, without this second central supporting beam and two attached legs, it runs the risk of inadequately distributing the weight properly and starting to bow.

If you'd like to view more on our Warranty process and the requirements that we do have when it comes to Bed Bases, you can view the information on our website: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/.

If there's absolutely anything else our team can assist you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Ranjanasked

Hi I have couple of questions;
Can I use an electric blanket.
How many pocket springs are their in a king size mattress
Do

How often do you need to rotate the top and bottom foam.
Can you explain the warranty conditions in detail.
Thanks for your time

DonT
DonT

I believe you could use an Electric Blanket But you would need to confirm with Sleeping Duck I am not an authority.
I use the Sleeping Duck mattress on the Sleeping Duck wooden slatted Base. The lower half of the mattress contains the pocket springs, heaps of them,( I didn't bother to count them) they are supported on the flexible slats in the base,. the top half of the mattress is the foam, (of various densities) Sleeping mattress will alter the firmness any time in the 100 day trial.Check the warranty details with Sleeping Duck

Ranjan

Can Sleeping duck response to this queries

Ranjan

I need to buy a king size mattress very quickly hence can you please response to my queries

Mel 54

Mel 54asked

Help with mattress sizing please ?

Hi Mel,

Thanks for getting in touch, we really appreciate it.

Absolutely, what sizing can we help you with?

Penne

Penneasked

Do you have outlets in Melbourne , that I an lay on, to see if I think it is suitable

StevenW
StevenW

They have a website and I think they do have a location in Melbourne.

Hi Penne,

You can visit us at our Head Office at
13c 661-663 Victoria Street Abbotsford VIC 3067

We also have our mattress available to see at the following location in Melbourne:

Life Interiors
336-338 Johnston St, Abbotsford VIC 3067
(03) 9078 7897 (Press 1)

Team Sleeping Duck :)

Please double-check with each place their opening hours and times by calling the number above.

Sumpy Dexter

Sumpy Dexterasked

Hey SD.

Im pretty keen to purchase one of your mattresses for the wife and I.
Im pretty heavy (185cm tall and 170kg), and the wife is the opposite (156cm tall and 70-75kg).
What do you recommend, or am I wasting my time.
Im happy to sacrifice my sleep for her comfort.

TIA.

Cheers, Sumpy.

Hi Sumpy,

Thanks for getting in touch, we really appreciate it.

If you and your partner have completely different sleeping preferences, we can even configure a mattress (in Queen and King sizing) that has the Medium firmness on one side of the mattress and Firm on the other.

Our Hyper-Adaptive foam is one whole piece of foam that sits on top of the firmness inserts. It's purpose is to contour your body which will allow for a smooth transition across the mattress - so you won't feel a jarring difference between the two sides.

If you're interested in knowing a little bit more on the Duck, I'd recommend checking out our FAQ page -https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/faq/ and Warranty - https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/.

Let me know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Mo

Moasked

We are feeling rather hot with this mattress - should we add a sheepskin cover? We
are concerned with Summer around the corner.

Hi Mo,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We tend to see a spike in heat related questions as the seasons begin to change, as people switch bedding. However there are a few things you can do to help minimise with the heat in the mattress.

From our experience, we wouldn't recommend adding a sheepskin cover as this can be quite thick, which can contribute to the heat in the mattress.

If you find you're still feeling quite warm, please get in touch with our team at info@sleepingduck.com or 1800 667 196.

Randajaasked

Firm Queen

I would like to use my existing base. It has wooden slats 7 cm wide and about 11 cm apart. They are covered with some material which provides a little bit of padding over the slats. Are there any problems using an existing base?

Hi Randaja,

Thanks for your enquiry!

Our mattress can be used on an existing base, given that it does meet our requirements in terms of the structure and centre support to ensure the mattress will uphold the 10 year longevity.

If you have a slatted bed base, you need to ensure the slats aren't anymore than 8cm apart. Queen and King sizes also require adequate centre support.

To find out more about what this means you can find diagrams and descriptions on the Warranty Page (https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/) on our website.

If you are unsure, feel free to send through some photos to info@sleepingduck.com and we will be happy to have a further look into it.

john r.

Fired Up
Fired Up

Can you use a phone?

Hi John,

Thank you for your question!

Unfortunately at this point in time we do not have any showroom locations in Western Australia, only in Melbourne and Sydney.

We do offer a 100 night guarantee on all our mattresses. This way you can try it in the comfort of your own home, night after night!
Firmness swaps within your 100 night trial are free of charge, so you can't lose with whichever firmness you choose.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if there is anything else we can assist with.

Get an answer from our members and Sleeping Duck representatives