Sleeping Duck Mattress

Medium, Half-Half, Firm

326 questions from our users

Rod Woodhamasked

Hi,

Can the mattress be placed on our current base that has slats and in good condition?

Thanks,

Rod

Trent
Trent

Yeah it can mate. We went to the SD website for measurements on our queen size to make sure it fit in our queen bed timber ensemble. Depending on the slats - I believe it can change the warranty on ya mattress. We have 4 vertical panel slats on our set up so it was fine. If your set up is different. Ring SD and ask the question. They’re customer care is brilliant.

Many thanks. Will do so.

Dot Mangan
Dot Mangan

It can but the sleeping but team will tell you of the specifics you will need .I think the slats have to have a good strong attachment to the bas so it is not flimsy

Rosa M.
Rosa M.asked
Mattress

Needs prices for queen bead.

Hi Rosa,

Thanks for expressing an interest in the Duck.

You can view all of the current Mattress pricing on our website here:

If any other questions come up, our SDHQ team is a quick phone call away! We'd love to hear from you.

Cath
Cathasked
Mattress

Hi, can I use a woollen underlay on my sleeping duck mattress?
Thanks, Cath
(By the way... I’ve just unrolled it and couldn’t help but have a quick test of lying on it... it’s amazing!! Looking forward to my sleep tonight!!)

Hey Cath,

Thanks for your question.

We usually recommend using the Duck without any underlays initially, as it will allow you to feel the foams more and experience all of its awesome benefits. You may even find that it's easier to gauge the true firmness of the Mattress without the underlay, which will help you figure out which firmness is perfect for you.

With all that in mind, it's completely up to you really. You're more than ​welcome to use a woollen underlay, but just keep in mind that your Duck may retain a bit more heat with the additional layer. You could always test it out both ways and see which one you prefer!

(We're glad the quick test proved to be snuggle worthy, let us know how you go after a proper sleep test!)

If any other questions come to mind, we're just a quick phone call away. :)

Julie W.
Julie W.asked
Mattress

How are your mattresses with people who are hot sleepers?

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for your question!

The Duck has a Hybrid Design, combining individually wrapped pocket springs with foam. Some find it to be cooler than a full foam Mattress, but warmer than a traditional full spring Mattress.

The reason being, that springs are the coolest material for a mattress (due to its open cell design), whereas foams tend to be a warmer material due to its less porous nature!

Keeping this in mind, we have designed each layer to prevent heat retention where possible. We use pressure expanded foam that is eight times more breathable than regular foams, along with pocket springs make up about two thirds of the Mattress, adding to overall breathability.

Everyone experiences heat differently (and other variables can also come into play) so some people do find it to be warmer than others. To put your mind at ease, the Duck comes with a 100 Night Guarantee. If you don't love it, you can adjust it or return it!

We explain how it all works here:

Don't forget our SDHQ team is a quick phone call away if you need any further advice!

Adam
Adamasked

Hi there
I get hot most nights, I have got two supposed cool matresess that i switch but both retain heat.
I see that many companies claim to have 'unique cooling properties' and will keep you 'cool at night' however I have not had too many like this (only when i travel and get lucky).
I am also a male, not suffering from night sweats that many women have to endure, but it wakes me many times a night.
If you beleive this matress will go a long way to helping, I am interested in it. Please let me know your thoughts without the sales pitch.

Cheers adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your interest in the Duck!

That's a completely valid concern, as we totally understand how much of an impact sleeping hot can have on your quality of sleep.

As our Mattress is a Hybrid Design of pocket springs and foam, some people find it to be cooler than a full foam Mattress, and warmer than a traditional full spring Mattress.

With that in mind, we've certainly designed the Duck to prevent heat retention where possible.

Our Air Grown foams are eight times more breathable than standard foams, and individually wrapped pocket springs add airflow through the mattress. The Duck's BreatheTech cover is also made of a bamboo and elastane blend for extra breathability.

At the end of the day though, everyone has different sensitivities to heat so it's tricky to say whether it will definitely help improve this aspect of your sleep. That's why we offer a 100 Night Guarantee with all our Mattresses, along with free firmness adjustments - if it's not working for you, you can return it!

If anyone is concerned with sleeping hot, we'd also recommend opting for a slatted base to help with ventilation, along with using natural linens that have good moisture wicking properties.

If you'd like to have more of a chat, that's what our SDHQ is here for! Feel free to drop us a line here:

Jonny
Jonnyasked
Pro Mattress Half-Half

thinking of buying a half half mattress but what's the recommendation on flipping a half half please? Presumably not possible?

Hi Jonny,

Great question!

The Duck has been designed for use on one side only, so there's no need to flip the Mattress.

For the care and longevity of the Mattress, we'd recommend rotating it 180 degrees (top to tail) monthly for the first 6 months, and every 3 months thereafter. We want it to be a long lasting relationship after all!

If you're using a Half-Half layout, all you need to do is unzip the BreatheTech cover, and switch the second layer of foams (Precision Pads) to the side you prefer to sleep on. They're also labelled to make the process easier.

We explain how to care for the Duck on the FAQ's page on our website here:

If any other questions come to mind, our SDHQ team is a quick phone call or email away!

simmy
simmyasked
Mattress

I read a review that said the cover was not machine washable and could only be spot cleaned. is this true?

dugout
dugout

I believe the top unzips and can be washed. We have a mattress protector fitted so should not have any hassles.

Hi Simmy,

Thanks so much for your question.

There have been a few different versions of the Duck from previous years, so it does depend on the model you are referring to.

If you are referring to our latest Mach II model, the BreatheTech cover can absolutely be unzipped and laundered!

It has been specifically created with a vortex weave, making the material extra durable. This means that it can be washed regularly without losing its shape or developing any pilling.

If you need a spare one handy, you can even purchase an extra BreatheTech cover so you don't have to factor in drying time in between washes.

We've also released a new waterproof version, which is super handy for families with little ones running around, or have pets. :)

If any other questions come to mind, our SDHQ team is here to help. Don't be shy to drop us a line!

John R
John Rasked
Mattress

can you use an electric blanket with a sleeping duck

Hi John,

Thanks so much for your question.

You sure can! The Duck has been tested and confirmed that it’s completely safe to use with an electric blanket.

We appreciate how relaxing it can be hopping into a warm cosy bed on those chillier nights! Just keep in mind, the mattress may retain a bit more heat with additional underlays.

Let us know if any other questions come to mind, our team is here to help!

Stuart G.
Stuart G.asked

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for expressing an interest in the Duck.

You can view all the current pricing for our products on our website here:

Feel free to get in touch with our team if you have any other questions!

Ben W.
Ben W.asked

Hi there,
How much is it to replace the topper on a queen mattress?

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for your question.

We'd recommend getting in touch with the team at SDHQ with your order details so we can give you the correct pricing information.

We're here to help!

If you have any other questions in the meantime, please feel free to ask.

King regards,

Jamie M.asked
Mattress

I have the KING size mach11 mattress and I am having a lot of difficulty finding fitted bed sheets for it. Does anyone have exact brand suggestions?
the aus standard are smaller than this mattress, so the sheets keep slipping up or just don't fit nicely

LaurineK
LaurineK

Have you asked Sleeping Duck if they know of a brand which will fit your mattress? Give them a try. Good luck.

Jamie M.

I have but I was given a broad response. I was hoping for a couple of brands that people have tried that work well.

Hi Jamie,

Thanks so much for your question!

We're sorry to hear that you're struggling to find sheets to fit your Duck nice and snug.

Previous customers in the past have mentioned that Sheet Society, Bed Threads, Sheridan, or Spotlight have fit their Ducks nicely.

Alternatively, you could give the Sleeping Duck sheets a go! They have certainly been designed with our mattress in mind, and also come with a 100 night guarantee.

We're always here to help, so please don't hesitate to reach back out if you get stuck or have any further questions.

Nadia P
Nadia Pasked
Mattress

1- Do you have the double mattress in the half firm half soft?
2- Also, how much you charge to remove the old mattress? Thank

Hi Nadia,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

The Half-Half configurations are currently only available for our Queen and King size Ducks, so it is not available for our Double size Mattresses.

We have just rolled out a new service for old mattress removals, but it doesn't cover all areas within Australia. Not to worry though, we're definitely looking to expand these services in future!

If you'd like further information on where we can offer these services, we'd recommend getting in touch with our team.

Warmest regards,

Customer
Customerasked
Mattress

I notice your sheets have the oeko-tex 100 certificate, does the mattress have this standard as well?

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your question!

The Sleeping Duck mattress currently doesn't have the Oeko-Tex 100 certificate, as it is still "pending certification". Unfortunately these certifications can take some time to be approved, but we've been told by Oeko-Tex that they're working on it!

As the foams in the Duck are the most integral part of the mattress - we can confirm that they are created in Sydney Australia, with a GECA seal of approval. You can find more information about GECA at http://www.geca.eco/.

If you'd like to find out any further information, please don't hesitate to get in touch with the SDHQ team.

We'd be happy to help! :)

Sonja W.
Sonja W.asked
Mattress Medium

How much is a queen size medium and do you have to pay for it whilst you are trying it for the 100 days

stuartf
stuartf

Hi the cost was $1850 when we bought it but a week later it was reduced down to $1650. I contacted sleeping duck and they happily refunded me $200. And yes you have to pay out right first. But like they say if your not happy with 100 days it’s a full no questions asked refund

Hi Sonja,

Thanks for your question!

The mattress does need to be purchased first, and your 100 nights starts on the day of delivery.

Within your first 100 nights, any firmness adjustments are free of charge. This gives you plenty of time to test it out in the comfort of your own home, and experiment with different firmnesses to find your perfect comfort level.

If you don't absolutely love it, we'll organise a pick up and provide a full refund of the purchase price. Easy as that!

You can find all the current pricing for our Ducks on the link below, and shipping is free anywhere we can deliver to.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to give the SDHQ team a call. :)

You can reach us on 1800 667 196, and we're open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm (AEST).

Ian P.
Ian P.asked
Mattress

Hi, I have a king size mattress that has been in storage for a few months it is standing up against a wall , I have noticed it is bowing out at the bottom where it is on the floor , will it go back to its normal shape when I lay it flat or have I ruined it ?

Nats J
Nats J

If a sleeping duck mattress I don't have the knowledge to provide you with the answer. Contact company direct for advice.

Anne Le Fevre
Anne Le Fevre

Well I couldn’t really say, but the only way to find out is to put it flat on the floor! The manufacturer could surely tell you.

Hey Ian!
Thanks so much for the question :)

You mattress is perfectly fine to be leant up against the wall until you're able to begin using it, the misshape along the bottom is because the foam layers within the Duck have most likely shifted from being on that angle.

There is however a super simple fix! Once you're ready to use the Duck and have it resting flat, all you'll need to do is then unzip the top cover and ensure that the foams are properly aligned with one another.

If you get stuck or have any further questions, feel free to give us a call on 1800 667 196!

Frances Tasked
Mattress

I am a senior and have difficulty lifting the corners of my present king size mattress when changing the sheets. It is so heavy. Are the corners of the king size sleeping duck heavy to lift?

Pam W

I am having trouble with mine, I get a friend to do it for me, I think mattress’s are heavy anyway no matter what. If you can I would still invest in one because they are very comfortable.

Hi Frances (and Pam!),

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a question.

Our Ducks can be considered a little on the heavier side with our King mattress weighing 60kg. The good news is that we there are two handles built into the side of the mattress to make the rotating process a little easier.

When changing sheets, we typically recommend trying to do this corner by corner (on opposite ends first) as we have found this helps a little so you don't have to lift the mattress as much!

We also find that bed bases that allow the mattress to sit flush on top of the base (rather than sitting within) make the sheet changing process that little bit easier.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to our team here at SDHQ if there are any further questions that we can assist with, we're always here to help.

Warmest regards,

Thank you.

BuyGeorge
BuyGeorgeasked
Mattress

Does the base have too have slats or can a conventional base (no slats) be used?

Pam W

I don't think it matters, because there is no statement you have to have slats, so I would assume you would be ok with a conventional base.

Hi George (and Pam!),

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a question and for taking an interest in the Duck!

To ensure that you get the most out of your mattress over its lifespan we do have a few bed base requirements in place.

Both slatted and flat bottom bases are suitable for our mattresses as long as they provide consistent levels of support.

We would recommend slatted bases as they provide improved airflow and can help keep your mattress cooler. You would need to make sure the slats are no more than 8cm apart from one another to ensure that the individually pocketed springs that form the base of the mattress are properly supported.

Alternatively the bed base surface can be completely firm and flat.

If you are considering one of our larger sizes, we also have a couple of central support requirements due to their added width and weight.

For a Queen, we look for a central support beam running from top to toe of the base with two grounded support legs. For a King, we look for two central support beams, essentially dividing the mattress into thirds, with two grounded support legs on both.

Feel free to have a read over them on our warranty page here https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/

Please don't hesitate to reach out to the team here at SDHQ if there is any further questions that we can assist with.

Steve
Steve asked
Mattress

Will it work ok with a slat bed?

Toni Michael
Toni Michael

We bought a new base from Sleeping Duck because we needed a King and it is a slat base

Tezkat
Tezkat

Yes, we bought a slat base

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question (and Toni & Tezkat for helping out)! We apologise for taking so long to get back to you.

You absolutely can use a slatted base with our Ducks. Both slatted and solid, flat bases provide stable levels of support for the mattress.

We do often encourage the use of slats as they increase the airflow through the mattress, helping keep it as cool as it can be! As Toni mentioned, our Bed Base and Frame both utilise slats, for this reason.

For slatted bases it is vital to ensure the gaps between the slats are no more than 8cm. Gaps larger than this will lead to individual springs in the MotherBoard layer falling through, and sagging over time.

We also have some additional base requirements for our Queen and King size Ducks. Due to their extra width, we require there to be added central support to prevent dipping and sagging down the line.

We recommend every customer have a read of the warranty of our warranty page (found here: https://www.sleepingduck.com/au/warranty/) as it further explains why we have these requirements, and clearly demonstrates how bases can provide that necessary support to get the full expected lifespan out of your Duck!

If there's ever anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to send us an e-mail to info@sleepingduck.com or give us a ring on 1800 667 196.

Team Sleeping Duck

Wiser Now
Wiser Nowasked
Mattress

What is the weight of the queen size, and does it require regular turning?

LO D
LO D

queen is 52kg, i think turning is about every 3 months

Hey there,

Thanks for your question!

The above answer is on point! The Queen is about 53kgs.

We recommend rotating your mattress 180 degrees every month for the first 6 months and quarterly thereafter. This helps maintain even weight distribution on the spring and foams :)

Kindest regards SDHQ

fred
fredasked
Mattress

if I have back pains and hip on a firm mattress,would I be advisable to buy your medium mattress? And which one of the type would best suit?

Hi Fred,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

If you prefer to sleep on your side, and you're currently experiencing some hip and lower back pain, we'd definitely suggest trying our Medium.

We often find this is great for relieving pressure, as it allows the body to sink further into the mattress.

Whilst we just have the one mattress design, we offer different firmness levels! Keep in mind, you can adjust the firmness totally free of change during your first 100 nights.

You'll have the choice of Medium or Firm at your initial point of purchase, but we also offer Soft and Extra Firm as adjustment options! Additionally, once you have tried 2 different firmness levels, we can combine the two in a segmented layout to give more targeted support where needed.

If you like to have a chat to our team about this, or anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out!

You can contact us on 1800 667 196, Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm. Or shoot us an email to info@sleepingduck.com.

Get an answer from our members and Sleeping Duck representatives