Tick Travel Insurance - International Top

Tick Travel Insurance - International Top Questions & Answers

7 questions from our users

Anthony S.asked

Tick Travel Insurance - Top

Hi Anna, took out top travel insurance on 5/9/19 for travel to Europe between 8/6/20 - 11/7/2020, Policy MS/TK305144123939609, Customer service request 359931.

We requested a pro-rata credit on our travel insurance premium of $1981.05, a huge premium,(over 75’s & pre-existing condition) we love travelling, so have to pay a high price for cover. We have Not cancelled the policy, government restrictions due to the virus prevent us from travel. May 29th email from customer service, we were advised that as a gesture of goodwill, Tick would consider a pro-rata credit with no admin or cancellation fees for all single trip policy holders who have NOT MADE A CLAIM due to the impact of Covid-19. June 1st email, refund was declined! Why is this?. We will NOT be making any claims on this policy, all our travel providers have refunded 100% of our travel costs.
Insurance must be “Fit for Purpose” under the Fair Trading Legislation, since we cannot travel, the policy is no longer “Fit for Purpose” therefore we feel we are entitled to a reasonable refund.
This is a good time to show customer support and demonstrate goodwill at these difficult times to your customers

keith forsyth
keith forsyth

Disgraceful customer service by tick definitely will not use them again

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Anthony, I am not sure why your request for a credit was denied, but I would like to help you with this. I investigate and update you on this tomorrow. Thanks, Anna

Anthony S.

Thank you Anna, hope to get a favourable reply.

Mick Masked

Tick Travel Insurance - Top

Hello, I took out your Top Cover travel insurance well before the Covid 19 Virus. I was booked to go to Bali in June 2020 as you know the government banned overseas travel and as a result my trip was cancelled by the travel company. The travel company offered me a credit with an end date of 31st of March 2021. This may seem OK to you but the problem is that I get annual leave once a year and the month that I get my annual leave each year is June. I would really love to go to Bali during the dates of the credit offer, but if I did not show up for work my boss would sack me and I just can't afford to loose my job. I now know that you refuse to pay a refund when a credit/ voucher has been offered by the travel company even if the credit/voucher is impossible to use. So firstly what advice can you offer me regarding this issue and secondly could you tell me the section in your PDS that mentions credits/vouchers in lieu of a refund as I just can't seem to find it myself.
Regard's
Mick

Chris W.
Chris W.

Hi Mick, I have made a similar point for a non refundable hotel room and two non refundable seperate air-tickets in Europe. My point is that we currently cannot legally accept time limited vouchers when the Australian Govt has issued an ‘Indefinite’ Travel Ban. The PDS simply requires clients to make ‘all reasonable efforts’ to avoid claim expenses by seeking refunds etc. I managed to get over 85% of our potential $30,000 claim back from providers despite it all being non refundable - they were honest and understanding in these circumstances.
Clearly it is not reasonable to accept such vouchers at this time and is also inconsistent with ACCC advice on travel providers pushing acceptance of vouchers instead of refunds. FYI this is now subject to a class action by ‘Slater & Gordon’ on airlines and travel agents insisting on the voucher option - this may well be extended to travel insurers as it is highly inappropriate and unethical given our Govt directions.
Best of luck with your claim, mine is quite straightforward but has taken over 7 weeks just to get it to management for a ‘decision’.

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Mick, I'm sorry your claim experience thus far has been frustrating. Although you should accept offers of credits or refunds from travel providers, you can and should detail in your claim the reasons the credits are unreasonable, regarding your annual leave situation, and inability to travel during the dates the credits are valid. Regarding sections in the PDS that discuss this, there may be other references, but the two below references address your question:
"You must take all reasonable steps to avoid or reduce any loss which may mean that you have to make a claim under this insurance."
"You must claim from the transport company first, and provide us with written confirmation of any refunds or
rescheduling offered to you."

Mick M

You must take all reasonable steps to avoid or reduce any loss (read costs) to Tick Travel Insurance. How about this, I was in a multi level shopping centre in New York the centre had stairs and an elevator that led to the carpark, the stairs were not undercover and it had been raining so there was a long queue waiting for the elevator. I decided to take the stairs which were wet, I slipped and fell breaking my leg. Now of course I DON'T intend to make a claim against my Top Cover from Tick Travel Insurance for the following reasons: 1. I did not take all reasonable steps to avoid the wet stairs (when I could have taken the elevator) 2. By taking the stairs I exposed Tick Travel Insurance to a potential loss if I was to fall. Why would any sane person make a claim against any travel insurer under the above circumstances, however all is not lost, my legal team have found out that rain was not forecast on the day of my accident and that God and his legal team have a case to answer to.

Gerrieasked

My reference no is 120009162
I have an email which requested information to be sent to you re our cancellation of our trip 1st May-31st May. As our doctor told us, that at our age it would be dangerous to our health to travel because of the virus, and the fact that we had cancelled before it was made a pandemic, and our policy was taken out last September, should we register the mail with all of the documents required, or do the transaction via email? We understand the excess per person is $200.00. My original enquiry was 5th march 2020 to Customer Support [Assistance].

wabomberboy

Hi Gertie, I took a picture of all my documents and emailed them back. As long as everything is clear there shouldn’t be a problem.

Gerrie

I thought I was asking a question to TICK travel insurance....

wabomberboy

When you ask a question on product review anyone can answer. Just trying to help.

Nev. BARROWasked

Tick Travel Insurance - Top

Can I claim for a Air Vanuatu flight cancelled on 22/03/2020. Replacement flight purchased for our party of 4 adults and 1 infant.

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Nev, if you purchased your policy before 4:00pm on 31st January, and your policy included cancellation cover, then you are eligible to claim for cancelling your trip, although it sounds like perhaps you are rescheduling instead of cancelling. Therefore, I cannot advise on the outcome of your claim, and I would recommend you lodge a claim. The below link includes all of the information you will need to lodge online, via email or via post, along with a list of documents that need to be included along with your claim.

Nev. BARROW

Why did tick accept and take money for travel insurance after the 31st January then why did they take our money after that date for travel insurance our flights were cancelled by air Vanuatu 2 days before we were due to fly back to Australia not our fault and no explanation from air Vanuatu

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Nev, we continued to sell policies that provided the same wide range of cover our policies had offered before this date, with the exception of claims related to coronavirus. In addition, it was deemed a known event by this point, meaning it would be expected the policy was entered into with awareness of the virus and its developments. I would recommend you contact complaints@tickinsurance.com.au with your policy number. They will be able to formally lodge your complaint and investigate your case. Thanks, Anna

Cath C

Cath Casked

Tick Travel Insurance - Top

I purchased this cover in October 2019 for a trip in May. We are postponing this trip due to COVID. My cover does include COVID-19 events. I will be taking this trip - to exactly the same destinations and exactly the same travel duration - but a simple transfer of dates will need to apply. I have emailed customer service weeks ago however as yet to receive a response. There is nothing mentioned in my T&C's to indicate that a date change cannot apply. In fact - I'm sure a lot of policies have date changes applicable seeing as people purchase travel insurance before travel dates become firm. This request is being made before the commencement of my trip. Please advise on this and how a travel date change can be applied.

Marion
Marion

Hi Cath,
I think if you go into your booking, it should allow you to change the dates, if not, just get in contact with the actual place you are booked into and see if they will allow a credit to be held for you.
And they would probably be able to change your dates also. If its non-refundable you may have just lost your money, Good luck.

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Cath, thanks for reaching out, but I'm afraid we are not able to change the dates on your policy, as this isn't something we can offer. Also, I'm afraid a refund can only be made if the policy was purchased within the last 14 days. Thanks, Anna

Philip Harlow

Philip Harlowasked

Hi,

We took out top insurance with you on 1 Oct 2019 for a trip including flights from Australia to Malta and Greece commencing on 19 April 2020. Due to the corona virus I have canceled all that I can without cost but it appears now the airlines will cancel our flights and I wont get a a refund. Are we able to claim this cost from Tick and what is the timetable for doing so? Thanks,
Philip Harlow, pcharlow@westnet.com.au

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Philip, without knowing more details, its not possible for me to guarantee that your claim will be paid, but depending on the level of cover you purchased (i.e. if it was Gold or Silver) you may be eligible to claim. The below link details all the evidence that will be needed to be sent by you, in addition to the details you will need to send your claim to us via email or post.

Bicki B.

Bicki B.asked

Hi,
I bought top travel insurance on March 7. I am going to go to France in August. I understand cancellation due to change of mind is not covered, but in the event I contract coronavirus whilst overseas will I be covered for medical expenses?

Anna J.Tick Travel Insurance

Hi Bicki, thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately, all policies purchased after 4:00pm on 31st January 2020 are not covered for claims relating to coronavirus. Please read the below travel alert that details our position on the situation: https://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-alerts/latest_update-global-coronavirus-outbreak.jsp

To make any changes to your policy, please email info@tickinsurance.com.au for assistance.

See all Tick Travel Insurance questions