Southern Cross Travel Insurance Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Iris Y.
Iris Y. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

(a) Is the call from overseas to your helpline (1800-196-484) a reverse charge call or do I pay for the call?
(b) If the overseas hospitalisation expense is more than $2000 and approved by SCTI, does SCTI pay the hospital directly or do I pay first?
(c) Does your comprehensive travel insurance cover a new epidemic or pandemic that is NOT Covid?

Thanks.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Iris. Thanks for your questions. There is a charge required when calling our helpline from overseas. SCTI may be able to pay the hospital directly on your behalf, or you can self-pay and then submit a claim- however there are many variables, so please ensure that you contact Southern Cross Emergency Assistance first to confirm. Epidemics and Pandemics are included in our list of general exclusions, as per section E.2 of our International Comprehensive PDS. All the best - Claire@SCTI.

Rod Woodham
Rod Woodham · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

We are going on a European river cruise, and on some policies we do not need to take out cruise add on option. Is this the case with Southern Cross?
Thanks,
Rod

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Rod. Thanks for your question. We offer an optional cruise cover add-on to our International Comprehensive policy which covers unexpected events that happen when you are taking a cruise on your journey, as per section D.13 of our Product Disclosure Statement. We recommend you check that this cover is right for your needs if you are intending on taking a cruise on your trip. Take care - Claire@SCTI.

Lyn
Lyn · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

There has been a lot of reports of people falling while of holidays and because they have had a drink they are not covered. I have looked at your manual and it is not clear. What do you deem as under the influence

Wendy

In all my years of getting insurance(multiple different companies) it has always been the case that if you are under the influence of alcohol and something happens then they can refuse the claim. The same as if you hire a scooter in say Bali and don't have a valid motorcycle licence Australia then they can refuse any claim arising from incidents. I would call SCTI and confirm.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Lyn. Thanks for your question about being under the influence of alcohol. On page 92 of your policy document, we have a general exclusion, that falls under the heading, ‘You putting yourself in danger’, number E.31 which outlines alcohol usage. We will always look at each claim on a case-by-case basis. In this situation of a fall, we would look to compare it to how likely the fall would have happened if a reasonable person who was not under the influence were to have had the fall. If the influence of alcohol and being reasonably intoxicated was the main reason the fall happened, then we would consider applying the general exclusion. Take care - Claire@SCTI.

Sharon C.
Sharon C. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, I am looking at your Travel Insurance for a World Cruise and have been reading the Product Disclosure Statement. On Page 87 under section E - General Exclusions - things we don't cover (E7 - third dot point) states "Evacuation from a Cruise". Does this refer to a medical evacuation and if not where does it state this is covered please?
Thanks in advance
Sharon

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Sharon. Thanks for your questions regarding our cruise option add-on. We offer evacuation and medical treatment on a cruise when the cruise add-on option is selected, and the additional premium is paid. This information is contained in E.7 in the box labelled ‘Exceptions’. All the best - Claire@SCTI.

Nat W.
Nat W. · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

I have been comparing your personal liability amount of $1 million each person with other policies that offer $5 million each person. Is $1 million sufficient coverage? I cant see anywhere that I can increase it? Thanks

Chris57
Chris57

Sorry I wouldn’t know, I’m a customer of SCTI, I don’t work for them.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Nat. Thanks for your question. We don't currently offer an option to increase this amount, but we appreciate your feedback. $1 million is generally considered sufficient for personal liability. Take care- Claire@SCTI.

Nat W.

Thanks Claire, whilst your company has impressive reviews, I was worried that your company doesnt cover personal liability in the motorcycle/moped extra cover.

Kath · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Hi, I am travelling to Denmark/Norway for a holiday and need to know if cancellation cover is payable for cancellation due to having to return if one of my elderly parents dies while I am away? I am aware that some companies do not cover this if a parent has a pre-existing condition (my Dad has Alzheimers and though currently healthy would be considered to have a pre-existing condition, I assume).

Ecpaul
Ecpaul

Hi Kath
I can't answer that - sorry. We paid $11500 for a multitrip police because we both had medical issues. Without those issues the cost would have been about $5000. It may be SCTI could cover you but they may place a charge on you, given your dad's condition.

Good luck.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Kath. Thanks for your question. Although we hope this situation won't happen while on your holiday, our policy states that in the event of a relevant person dying, we provide cover for cancellation or changes to journey as per section D.3.4 of our Product Disclosure Statement. Terms and conditions apply, including the relevant person not being aged over 85 years. All the best - Claire@SCTI.

Ok, thanks Claire

Tatiana E.
Tatiana E. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

I am Travelling to Brazil via Dubai (stopover is 28hrs) do I need to include Dubai as a destination? Or only Brazil? Thanks

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Tatiana. Thanks for your question. As the stopover is longer than 12 hours, you will need to add Dubai as a destination on your policy. All the best - Claire@SCTI.

Johnny F.
Johnny F. · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

You wake up in a Private Hospital without the conscious ability to contact SCTI to get inpatient approval. Are you covered?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Johnny. Thanks for your question. Under our International Comprehensive policy, we advise customers to seek medical care in a public hospital where possible and to contact us as soon as possible if they are admitted to a hospital, or if they expect their medical expenses will be more than $2,000. Any conditions or exclusions outlined in our policy are applied fairly and reasonably. For example, it would be unreasonable to exclude private hospital treatment if you had no control over which hospital you were transported to or if you were unable to contact us about your admittance. If you would like further information, please don't hesitate to contact us directly. All the best - Claire@SCTI.

Michael downes
Michael downes · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

In case of a hospital bill,do you pay up front as hospitals in Thailand keep you in until bills are paid

Karen Coulson
Karen Coulson

I didn't go to hospital. I do recall my grandson needing attention in Bali and we paid credit card before they would do more than minimum for him. He was not insured.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Michael. Yes, for hospital admissions, we require you to call our emergency assistance team as soon as possible. This allows us to get in touch with the hospital, understand the situation and pay the hospital directly. For smaller medical situations like doctor visits, you would pay first and then claim for reimbursement through an online claim submission. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Jules
Jules · International Medical Only Travel Insurance

I am 78, fit and well, with no pre-existing medical conditions. However I HAVE been prescribed medications for preventing the onset of Type 11 Diabetes and (which I control by diet), cholesterol (also controlled by diet). I am planning a tour of New Zealand south island which includes some moderate walking but no extreme activities. I find the section about having been to doctors etc in the past three years a bit confusing - certainly I have been but for maintenance and prevention, not actual illness.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Jules. Thank you for raising your question. If you are finding it a bit confusing as to whether this is something that we would expect you to declare or not, please give us a call, and we will be happy to help you. You can reach us on 1800 196 484. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Michael downes
Michael downes · International Comprehensive (Annual Multi-Trip)

I am 79 can i get cover

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Michael. Thank you for your interest in our travel insurance. We can cover travellers up to 118 years old in some cases. If you want to get started with a quote, you can visit our website at external link  or give us a call at 1800 196 484. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Max
Max · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Would I be covered, through the comprehensive insurance policy, for injury, evacuation and medical treatment while hiking the Milford Sound track in New Zealand?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Max. Thank you for your question. There would be cover in many cases, but it also depends on the situation. Please call us on 1800 196 484 if you would like more information on what cover or exclusions may apply to a hike on the Milford. All the best, Hugo@SCTI.

MiaM
MiaM · International Comprehensive (Single Trip)

How to obtain "a valuation that’s less than 24 months old at the time you specify the item on your policy". How about in the case of mobile phone 12 months and older?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Mia. Thank you for your question. If you have a receipt for the phone that is less than 24 months old, you could use this as proof of value. If older than 24 months, you can ask for a valuation from a mobile phone store. For a further explanation on providing proof of value for a specified item please call us on 1800 196 484 or use our live chat through our website. All the best, Hugo@SCTI.

xxTina-Mariexx · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Can I add on Bungee jumping cover for a single international trip?..

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Tina. Thanks for your enquiry on bungee jump cover. We can cover bungee jumping as a standard inclusion of our policy, provided the activity is undertaken by a licensed tour operator, all safety instructions are followed and all safety equipment is worn correctly. Thanks - Claire@SCTI.

xxTina-Mariexx

So it's already covered as standard is it?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Tina. Yes, that is right. All you need to do is follow the requirements of cover as mentioned in our previous reply. Thanks - Hugo@SCTI.

Julie K. · Domestic Travel Insurance

We are planning to go on cruise around Australia for 28 days. Which plans should we take,that covers, medical, cancellation, lost of luggage etc. Kind regards, Juliana

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Julie. Thank you for your question about whether we can cover your domestic cruise. This question would be best answered with a phone call with one of our representatives so that they can better understand your trip and provide you with some options. To get in touch, please call 1800 196 484. All the best, Hugo@SCTI.

Julie K.

Good morning Hugo, I'm looking for an insurance cover on cruising around Australia. I would like to know if Domestic covers when you got medical problems at sea and need emergency evacuation.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Julie. Thanks for your questions about cruises around Australia. Please email us at info@scti.com.au and we'll look into covering you for your domestic cruise. Take care - Claire@SCTI.

Brian watt
Brian watt · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Why is kids not covered or should I say why under the adults cover policy? As kids flights are not much less than adults. If adults got covid then kids can’t travel and adults are the only paying people here so only get covered. But what about the kids cover there should be cover for 4 persons not two.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Brian. Thank you for your question about cover for kids. Dependent kids are covered for no additional premium with an International Comprehensive policy and share the benefit limits with the adults on the policy. You can increase the cancellation cover amount if there isn't enough by default to cover all those on the policy. Please feel welcome to call us if you have any more questions you would like to discuss with one of our representatives. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI

jld
jld · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Is there covid coverage ie if trip changes are needed due to covid

Wendy

Sorry not sure, maybe look on the website.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi there. There is cover for many COVID-19 situations under our comprehensive policy, such as contracting it and needing to cancel your journey or if you are already travelling, getting medical attention while overseas. Please read the policy wording as for example, we would not cancellation if another outbreak caused a border closure. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Michael D.
Michael D. · Domestic Travel Insurance

Does the International (Indonesia) medical only cover you if you are hospitalised with Covid related illness.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Michael. Thank you for your question about our COVID-19 coverage under our Medical Only policy. COVID-19 is covered in this policy in the same way as other unexpected illnesses are covered. This includes hospitalisation if required. Please see the policy documents or give us a call for more information. Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Pook
Pook · Domestic Travel Insurance

if a flight is cancelled im aware the airline will refund on most occasions but if they reschedule a flight that no longer suits does domestic travel insurance cover the cost of having to cancel the flight and accommodation or just the accommodation and how much do you get back ie accommodation is $1200 would I get all that back with insurance or only part of it?

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi there. Thanks for your question about flight cancellation cover. If there is an unexpected cancellation of your flight and the new flight offered by the airline does not suit, we would cover the cost of the difference in flight change and the difference in cost of accommodation, in the event your journey needs to change in order to meet a special event. Please refer to the Domestic Policy document for more detail. Take care - Frances@SCTI.

Sue Bailey
Sue Bailey · Southern Cross Travel Insurance

My daughter and I are travelling to Africa at the end of this year for 3 weeks. Considering the lack of medical treatment available in South Africa and the negative reviews written about being unable to contact SCTI in emergencies, I was wondering if we needed our travel insurance urgently would we be able to contact your company??

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Sue. Thank you for considering us to be your travel insurer. While our Sales & Service team has been receiving a high volume of general queries, our separate emergency assistance phone line for urgent situations while overseas is still available 24/7 with little to no wait time. This is the line you could use if you found yourself needing medical treatment. All the best for your trip to Africa! Thanks, Hugo@SCTI.

Coco
Coco

Sue don't go with them, they never answer the phone - haaa 24 hour phone answering - joke. 5 Emails to get a reply, only when I threatened to to to consumer affairs and social media did I get reply. Hopless

Marisol F.
Marisol F.

Hi There, I have been waiting for 15 minutes on the phone just trying to get a quote. I have finally hang up. It does not look efficient!

Southern Cross Travel Insurance   DM

Hi Marisol. We are sorry that you have had difficulty contacting us. You are welcome to get a quote and purchase any of our policies through our website external link , or if you would still like to reach our sales team, please email us your contact details, and one of our team will call you. Take care, Hugo@SCTI.

Get an answer from our members and Southern Cross Travel Insurance representatives

Select a listing for your question

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Southern Cross Travel Insurance is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2023, 2020, 2019 and 2018. Learn more

Visit Official Website